ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Jones is a GOOD back

FloridaFBCoach

Hi I'm new here
Aug 31, 2019
When you can start a RB who is durable, runs tough behind his pads, gains yards after contact, can catch the ball out of the backfield AND is solid in pass protection?

My goodness you have got yourself a quality RB and a really good football player. I know all the star gazers are looking at a stop watch going but..but..but..he doesn’t run a 4.3 40 he can’t be good?

Recruiting star ratings and 40 times don’t break tackles, pick up blitzers in pass pro and gain 170 yards vs USC. 115 of those yards were gained AFTER contact BTW.

As long as Tony Jones is healthy ND is set at RB for 2019.

When you can start a RB who is durable, runs tough behind his pads, gains yards after contact, can catch the ball out of the backfield AND is solid in pass protection?

My goodness you have got yourself a quality RB and a really good football player. I know all the star gazers are looking at a stop watch going but..but..but..he doesn’t run a 4.3 40 he can’t be good?

Recruiting star ratings and 40 times don’t break tackles, pick up blitzers in pass pro and gain 170 yards vs USC. 115 of those yards were gained AFTER contact BTW.

My biggest beef with Tony Jones is he didn't provide the power or the speed. USC he brought the power and actually ran through some tackles at the LOS. No one expects a 4.3 out of him, but he's probably closer to 4.7. Yes he will leave yards on the table, especially this year and USC because of the how well the Oline has been blocking lately. He got caught from behind twice on what would have been long TDs vs USC.

With that said, I though the USC game was by far his best game running the football. He actually ran hard at the LOS. He has struggled in short yardage situations and when he doesn't get a full head of steam. He ran with authority vs USC. If he continues running like that we're fine with Armstrong coming back to compliment each other.

he'll never be a gamebreaker but he's a quality football player. a guy a coaching staff can trust to execute the responsibilities of his position properly. his predecessor was a more dynamic runner but lacked in all other facets of playing the position.

My appreciation of TJ has grown over the course of the season. As you say, he may not have exceptional speed, but he is a well rounded RB and seems to do everything he is asked to do. He's been really good the last couple of games. I think Kelly really trusts his pass protection more than any of our other backs.

My only concern is that against teams with athletic and elite players on defense--UGA obviously comes to mind--TJ's athletic limitations are more apparent. I am not one of those guys who goes back and rewatches game tape, so I don't know if our inability to run the ball against UGA was due to poor blocking, poor play calling, TJ's inability to beat really good defenders, or a combination of all those things, but I think if we ever want to compete with Alabama, Clemson, etc., we will need a RB who is more capable of making the big play. You may not get too many of those opportunities over the course of a game against a really good defense, but when the play call and the blocking are right you have to be able to capitalize on it.

I used to be one of Tony Jones biggest detractors but he's been productive as hell over the last several weeks. When you are producing a hundred fifty yards plus per game you are an explosive player.

His emergence as a running back in a very thin back Field is what is holding this offense together by duct tape. And you can't really say it is that big of a surprise when you look at his high production/high YPC over his career here.

I've become a big fan

Last edited:
Reactions: mbd11 and napy2121
I’ve been defending the guy for a bit now and I’m glad to see him really perform well. Quality player does pretty much everything well.

Reactions: Telx1 and echowaker
Never understood why people were so skeptical about Tony. He is a junior who is coming into his own and it has always been clear to me that with the stable of running backs that we have had in recent years, it was just a matter of time before Tony was able to get his shot. I love his running style, it goes well with a lot of our running schemes that Long has implemented this year. I expect that his success will continue even with Jafar coming back into the mix.

Reactions: echowaker
I think some of his success is coming from the better oline run blocking. Patterson is coming along nicely and that interior is finally pushing people around. The usc dt spot is a strength for them and we constantly got push for really only the second time this season. Very excited to see this unit next year.

His overall game reminds me a lot of Theo Riddick (although they do have different running styles). He's just really solid in every aspect of the game, but isn't a home run threat because of his speed. If we had a Cierre Wood-like complement like we did for Riddick our offense would be really good.

Tony was not reliable early in his career. He battled through ankle injuries and concussion. Brian Kelly was notably frustrated with him at times, saying that he needed to learn to play through injuries (the ankle injuries in particular).

He has developed into a very reliable player in all facets of the game as he has matured. He's clearly taken on an accountability and leadership role and he's leading by example for the younger guys. It's probably frustrating at times for the staff to have a play get blocked up perfectly and for Tony to get caught from behind when a guy like Josh or Dexter would not have, but I doubt there is anyone hating on Tony Jones inside the Notre Dame football program. He does everything ND asks of him.

Chubba Hubbard or Jonathan Taylor he is not... But that's ok. The nice part is that they should have a healthy, fairly fit, Jafar coming off the bye week, which means ND should be able to bring a nice 1-2 punch to the table, with Jahmir Smith seeing a couple third teams reps. I'm expecting to see some 2 back stuff vs Michigan, and the reintroduction of the running backs in the passing game.

I heard TJ is a team leader and a great teammate. Add to the fact that he shows the youngsters by example during the game and I would imagine at practice also. I wouldn't trade TJ for anything.

Reactions: ND_Brewtus
I heard TJ is a team leader and a great teammate. Add to the fact that he shows the youngsters by example during the game and I would imagine at practice also. I wouldn't trade TJ for anything.
Lol. Anything? Come on

Lol. Anything? Come on
Anything. TJ has placed his future coming to ND. BK said he would take a boat load of TJs on his team. You want to trade off any one of our guys for the ESPN flashy type, that's on you. Our guys commit to ND and as a fan, I commit to them. It's that simple.

Come on guys..... trade was mentioned simply as a basis of comparing talent. Of course there are more talented running backs. But Tony is our guy, and many of us were singing his praises three years ago when reports from practice were so glowing. He’s finally enjoying an injury free season, and we’re finally seeing the breakout that was predicted a few years ago. Would love it if he also had breakaway speed, but If I have to choose one over the other, I’ll take his hard running and yards after contact that we saw against USC! We’ve collectively bemoaned our inability to sustain a smash mouth running game against a good opponent, and that’s what we finally saw with our OL and Tony last Saturday.

you can’t trade human beings!

Apparently, TJ is expendable to some of the younger people around here. BK and the players feel differently.

TJ might be the offensive MVP thus far. Without him, ND would have been in deep sh@t this year. I respect his game tremendously, however, there is no comparison between him and the Clemson & Alabama starting RBs. TJ should be our closer and/or situational back.

Apparently, TJ is expendable to some of the younger people around here. BK and the players feel differently.
Come on now that’s not at all what I said. I got all the respect in the world for him and what he’s done. I defended him before his success this season when few did, and I’m thoroughly glad he’s in our backfield.

Never understood why people were so skeptical about Tony. He is a junior who is coming into his own and it has always been clear to me that with the stable of running backs that we have had in recent years, it was just a matter of time before Tony was able to get his shot. I love his running style, it goes well with a lot of our running schemes that Long has implemented this year. I expect that his success will continue even with Jafar coming back into the mix.
People who were critical of him mostly only reacted to his lack of speed and never gave him credit for the things he did well. The title of the post says it all...he's a good back. Not a great back, but he's dependable and a team guy. He gets the yards that are available even if he will never break off 90 yard runs. He may not play on Sunday's but he's a solid member of the team.

Reactions: McCallen ND NYC
Come on guys..... trade was mentioned simply as a basis of comparing talent. Of course there are more talented running backs. But Tony is our guy, and many of us were singing his praises three years ago when reports from practice were so glowing. He’s finally enjoying an injury free season, and we’re finally seeing the breakout that was predicted a few years ago. Would love it if he also had breakaway speed, but If I have to choose one over the other, I’ll take his hard running and yards after contact that we saw against USC! We’ve collectively bemoaned our inability to sustain a smash mouth running game against a good opponent, and that’s what we finally saw with our OL and Tony last Saturday.
Love the way he ran vs usc, that’s just one game, come on TJ, let’s make it a trend!

I saw he broke a tackle right at the LOS on his 45 hard scamper after the Book pitch option. Great effort but I question the play design if it's dependent on beating the unblocked defender. Ditto on the reverse to Lenzy.

Why stop at TJ? Why not trade Ian? Not sure what you could get for Finke, but hell, try anyway. Some talk around here about the disappointing play of Alohi this season. Probably time to trade him off too. I see the flashy cat on another team and realize we have guys that just plain don't measure up.

Anything. TJ has placed his future coming to ND. BK said he would take a boat load of TJs on his team. You want to trade off any one of our guys for the ESPN flashy type, that's on you. Our guys commit to ND and as a fan, I commit to them. It's that simple.
That would be a slow ass boat... lol sorry.

In all seriousness TJJ just played his best game ever and good for him.

You star gazers might remember that he suffered a major knee injury (early) in his senior year in high school. He was pushing toward a fifth star until that injury. That injury obviously robbed him of some speed but he's still a very good back. I'd say that he's faster than 99.8% of his critics. You don't need blazing speed to be a good running back.
I could be wrong but I don't remember him having a major knee injury in high school.

Also, he was never close to pushing for a5th star

He was my "surprise" impact offensive player before the season. Not a big reach but there was so much talk of Jafar, Chase, Austin(!), Book, etc... TJ seemed forgotten. Not any more.

Hope Smith is taking notes re: blocking, receiving, leadership. Jahmir seems to have a high ceiling. (And, damn, what a shame Marquis got away -- he's gonna be a good one!)

I saw he broke a tackle right at the LOS on his 45 hard scamper after the Book pitch option. Great effort but I question the play design if it's dependent on beating the unblocked defender. Ditto on the reverse to Lenzy.

Sigh...

The scouting report was USC misses A LOT of tackles in space & gives up huge chunks of yards on the edge.
So the play design is to get to the edge in space & make them tackle, in which they didn’t, like they hadn’t all season & just like ND knew they wouldn’t.
So it was designed perfectly.
That’s why you aren’t a millionaire football coach.

solid back, finally has started running with authority ......
This, i've been tough on him, not because he isn't fast but because he's a big back and has run extremely soft around the LOS, even in some previous games with good stats (see Virginia/Louisville).

USC was the first game he ran hard at the LOS and it showed. Keep running that way TJ.

You want bigger backs to run like Stepp did vs ND. TJ ran pretty hard and wasn't going to just fall over if hit around the LOS.

Recruiting analysts are trying to project most of the stuff that you listed. They don't just hold stopwatches and measure 40 times. Size and strength is a big factor for example in blocking and breaking tackles. All of which is measured and prognosticated by recruiting analysts.

Tony Jones has done an excellent job and has way overproduced his 3 star rating. He's an exception to the rule. football programs will hit on a lot more 4 stars than 3 stars in aggregate though.

He's turned into a very solid back for us. Now with Armstrong coming back, we should have more of a breakaway threat changeup available, too.

People who were critical of him mostly only reacted to his lack of speed and never gave him credit for the things he did well. The title of the post says it all...he's a good back. Not a great back, but he's dependable and a team guy. He gets the yards that are available even if he will never break off 90 yard runs. He may not play on Sunday's but he's a solid member of the team.
A good back will beat a good team but not a great team. USC is allowing 200 yards rushing. Virginia is still looking like a good game. But against an elite run defense in Georgia he was zero.

That all said if he is the only RB who can pass block he is still the right choice.

ADVERTISEMENT