ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Zbikowski - Future Notre Dame coach?

Maybe my favorite player all time and appreciated his honesty during the interview. Goolsby does a terrific job too and best show he’s ever done. Zibby has self isolated himself from the game for a number of years and acknowledges he doesn’t know any of the players or much about the program right now. I’m a bit ambivalent because I think he could bring a new element of toughness to the program but on the other hand he seems only accountable to himself. If things weren’t working out to his satisfaction he may bolt after practice one day. obviously his discussions with Kelly didn’t turn out well and he walked away from the program. I don’t know any of the details so I’m not pointing fingers at anyone. I love the guy and want good things to come his way but am 50/50 on whether he helps the program for long haul.

Reactions: 88ND and Telx1
Maybe my favorite player all time and appreciated his honesty during the interview. Goolsby does a terrific job too and best show he’s ever done. Zibby has self isolated himself from the game for a number of years and acknowledges he doesn’t know any of the players or much about the program right now. I’m a bit ambivalent because I think he could bring a new element of toughness to the program but on the other hand he seems only accountable to himself. If things weren’t working out to his satisfaction he may bolt after practice one day. obviously his discussions with Kelly didn’t turn out well and he walked away from the program. I don’t know any of the details so I’m not pointing fingers at anyone. I love the guy and want good things to come his way but am 50/50 on whether he helps the program for long haul.
Tommy Z needs motivation. He likes dabbling in other ventures for himself.
Would he help? Most definitely.
Long term? That's on his bosses to keep him motivated. Like giving him more challenges along the way.
If he was relegated to just doing special teams he'll bail once the novelty is gone.
But...
If he gets feet wet with special teams..then year 3 have him do that AND coach the safeties...

Keeping him motivated and excited is key

Tommy Z needs motivation. He likes dabbling in other ventures for himself.
Would he help? Most definitely.
Long term? That's on his bosses to keep him motivated. Like giving him more challenges along the way.
If he was relegated to just doing special teams he'll bail once the novelty is gone.
But...
If he gets feet wet with special teams..then year 3 have him do that AND coach the safeties...

Keeping him motivated and excited is key
No thanks on him coaching safeties. He was awesome in run support but pretty awful in coverage. Great special teamer.

I would say a hard no for now. Coach somewhere else, get his feet wet and see if he’ll stick with it.

I like Tom Zbikowski. I don't think he should become a coach at ND. He's kind of romantic figure among ND fans, it seems like, and I can easily see why. As far as being old school, maybe a little too old school, in this crazy, ever-modernizing world.

And he should stay that way. Don't become a coach. What he should do is just walk the earth, like Kane from Kung Fu. Get into adventures and help people that he meets along the way....

• Haha
Reactions: NDblitz
No thanks on him coaching safeties. He was awesome in run support but pretty awful in coverage. Great special teamer.
LOL...
So at the very least we'd keep giving up big plays then, right?

And... great players seldom make great coaches.
You obviously aren't aware that dot connection isn't automatic and more than not goes the other way. As in great players seldom make great coaches.

Trying to gauge a player's coaching ability based on how good they were themselves is a mistake that's been the death of many AD's, GM's etc.

If he brought more tenacity to the back 2 or 4/5 overall along with Golden I'll gladly take my chances with him. At the very worst we continue to give up big passing plays. Nothing new there.
At the very best we become even harder to play against. A good thing.

He was a fun guy to watch, and those jerseys with tue very large numbers was a good look

If he could get the special teams to stop “fair catching” the ball it would be worth the hire.

It's funny when you read/hear about a player that you haven't heard about in 5-10+ years and then it hits you; god damn, that kid is 40 years old now!?

Tommy Z was a beast. I was a teenager when he made that return TD that i thought was going to end the losing streak vs USC. Time flies.

It's funny when you read/hear about a player that you haven't heard about in 5-10+ years and then it hits you; god damn, that kid is 40 years old now!?

Tommy Z was a beast. I was a teenager when he made that return TD that i thought was going to end the losing streak vs USC. Time flies.
Think he’s 37 but I know what you mean

Reactions: chaseball
Is Zbikowski mentally challenged?

That was a very engaging interview, enjoyed the laid back banter, love his no non sense/not trying to impress anybody mentality. Prob completely different then the woke, tight Jean scarf wearing, emasculated dudes you hang out with.
Zibby was one of my favorites and when I started following ND football religiously he was the guy.

That was a very engaging interview, enjoyed the laid back banter, love his no non sense/not trying to impress anybody mentality. Prob completely different then the woke, tight Jean scarf wearing, emasculated dudes you hang out with.
Zibby was one of my favorites and when I started following ND football religiously he was the guy.
I’m not woke. He sounds like he got hit in the head a lot. He reminds me of people I hangout with actually. Just a joke.

Exactly. Ridiculous comment by him. Tommy Rees is one of the worst QB’s to ever play the game and he’s the OC.
How was Bill Belichick as a player ?

i can’t think of a great modern day golfer, other than Crenshaw, who’s a great golf course architect.

On the other hand some decent players became good coaches.

Generalizations are often inaccurate.

ADVERTISEMENT