ADVERTISEMENT

Time to hire a real OL coach

4simm

I've posted how many times?
Jan 2, 2015
Our entire unit has regressed since the day Harry walked out the door. There is a lack of development and focus across the entire line. The OL last night had zero attention to detail and has been the worst unit on the field all season. Short yardage running game is a joke. Quinn is mis-cast on this staff. It’s time to move Quinn back to the recruiting office and go get a bonafide OL coach.

Our entire unit has regressed since the day Harry walked out the door. There is a lack of development and focus across the entire line. The OL last night had zero attention to detail and has been the worst unit on the field all season. Short yardage running game is a joke. Quinn is mis-cast on this staff. It’s time to move Quinn back to the recruiting office and go get a bonafide OL coach.
He’s a very good friend of Kelly.

45 passes and no sacks. Let’s let the season play out. I bet our run game gets better the rest of the season.

agree that they played tough, but it really does appear that the OL has regressed since Heistandt (sp) left. The top teams hire true OL coaches...not guys like Kelly's buddies that know enough to be dangerous. Quinn is definitely miscast at his current position.
I think it's still too early to draw this conclusion. The line was actually pretty good against UGA, especially in pass pro.

Before the season, I think several of the ND analysts were saying it will take some time for this unit to gel because having Patterson start at center for the first time is a pretty big deal. Mustipher made all of the in-game direct line calls last year. Patterson isn't able to do that yet and needs guidance from the other OLs. Hopefully, when he gets more experience the line will be more cohesive and effective.

check

Has anybody thought about how bad the offensive line was in 2016. It was out of step the whole season. OL take time to mature and gel together. Let's comeback to this discussion after the season is over. Nothing is going to happen now except create noise.

This is not the game that you blast the oline coach after... the line was pretty damn good Saturday night. They had to block for the least talented power 5 RB who the coaches didn’t even want to hand the ball to. Book also had all night to throw when Georgia knew we were throwing. Fromm didn’t have that luxury.

We were not good short yardage under Harry, we dominated lesser opponents but struggled to run against good ones with top ten picks on left side.

Reactions: TheSodFather
This is not the game that you blast the oline coach after... the line was pretty damn good Saturday night. They had to block for the least talented power 5 RB who the coaches didn’t even want to hand the ball to. Book also had all night to throw when Georgia knew we were throwing. Fromm didn’t have that luxury.

We were not good short yardage under Harry, we dominated lesser opponents but struggled to run against good ones with top ten picks on left side.

The Oline did well in pass protection [except one final time] which I suppose is the most important thing for Kelly's offense. The run blocking was lacking and they whiffed a few screens.

Which doesn't matter too much when they cannot remain in their stance until the ball is snapped.

Hey, UGA’s OL had a tough day too!

“Tough day” ?

They ran for 152 yards on 33 carries, that’s 4.61 yards per carry.

How is that a “tough day” ?

ND ran for 46 yards on 14 carries for 3.29 yards per carry.

I know, I know, more analytics beyond your grasp !

So confused by these threads! ND had the ball in UGA territory on it’s last possession, for the W!
If ND had pulled it out, would this thread exist?

Agreed, didn’t like the hire from the jump, he was not the best possible hire you could make such as Terry Joseph and Lance Taylor. He’s a good recruiter... but the truth even decent can recruit OL at ND

You obviously didn’t see how the line performed Saturday. They were good. Were they perfect no but they played well. Please show us how bad they were. Now I am sure you may mention the offside calls but that is something that can be improved So show us consistency in poor o line play. You won’t be able to quantify. Because you don’t know. I coached o lines not at this level and reviewed the plays of this game. They were solid. Other than fixable things like the silent cadence. The tight end had.a least 4 of those calls.

Agreed, didn’t like the hire from the jump, he was not the best possible hire you could make such as Terry Joseph and Lance Taylor. He’s a good recruiter... but the truth even decent can recruit OL at ND
He was not my first choice but he has done a good job with line The players like him and he recruits better than most.

45 passes and no sacks. Let’s let the season play out. I bet our run game gets better the rest of the season.

"45 passes and no sacks"

True -- but a lot of times, the ball is coming out fast -- that is NOT the issue -- the issue is the run game, or lack there of. When ND NEEDS that 1-2 yards on 3rd and short or 4th and short, the O-LINE does not get any type of push

"45 passes and no sacks"

True -- but a lot of times, the ball is coming out fast -- that is NOT the issue -- the issue is the run game, or lack there of. When ND NEEDS that 1-2 yards on 3rd and short or 4th and short, the O-LINE does not get any type of push
Who do they have at running back that can carry the running game 20 times a game. Jones is a nice back but he is a 3rd back not a 1 or 2 type of back. That is the problem.

You obviously didn’t see how the line performed Saturday. They were good. Were they perfect no but they played well. Please show us how bad they were. Now I am sure you may mention the offside calls but that is something that can be improved So show us consistency in poor o line play. You won’t be able to quantify. Because you don’t know. I coached o lines not at this level and reviewed the plays of this game. They were solid. Other than fixable things like the silent cadence. The tight end had.a least 4 of those calls.

The tight end who hasn’t taken snaps, they had an absurd amount of false starts for a division 1 program through 3 weeks........ 1 is alright 2-4 is a discipline problem and one this indicative of poor attention to details....

Also don’t like how the interior is not gaining back the line of scrimmage at times, they seem to do a lot of catching rather then taking a step into the los..

Reactions: NDIRISH53

The tight end who hasn’t taken snaps, they had an absurd amount of false starts for a division 1 program through 3 weeks........ 1 is alright 2-4 is a discipline problem and one this indicative of poor attention to details....

Also don’t like how the interior is not gaining back the line of scrimmage at times, they seem to do a lot of catching rather then taking a step into the los..
You put the entire blame on o line coach When some were backs receivers. There was plenty of blame to go around. Including the players

You put the entire blame on o line coach When some were backs receivers. There was plenty of blame to go around. Including the players

The backs an receivers weren’t doing it week 1 , the o-line was, also the WR aren’t responsible for 0,1, and 3 techniques... where we’ve left a lot to be desired.

I bet Joe Moore would have corrected Eichenberg in quick order.

Excellent point. The interior is catching blockers or meeting them but they are not reestablishing the line of scrimmage.

I don't know what's the more pressing need, a new o line coach, or a new offensive coordinator.

On Saturday it seemed they were trying to outdo one another with their incompetence.

Reactions: chitown sot
Yeah this week has been a drag hearing about our "good loss" as though a competent offense simply got outscored.
Yep, there are NO good losses, period. Tired of hearing about the almosts, played hard, did our best, blah blah blah. Just win the fricking game. Sick of these bk apologists

Yep, there are NO good losses, period. Tired of hearing about the almosts, played hard, did our best, blah blah blah. Just win the fricking game. Sick of these bk apologists

Also, it wouldn't have looke so 'good' if Smart had let Fromm take over the game.

How did Brohm due today?:eek::eek:

ADVERTISEMENT