• Ken MacAfee

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
We've a long list of some great TE's over the years...

Different era's make for much differing stats so it's impossible to compare some of the best based solely on that...

Solely based on their college career the best TE we've had is?
Really the only right answer is your answer

Reactions: Kelso86
We've a long list of some great TE's over the years...

Different era's make for much differing stats so it's impossible to compare some of the best based solely on that...

Solely based on their college career the best TE we've had is?
Really the only right answer is your answer
No Kyle Rudolph other than OTHER?

Crist to Rudolph

I tried taking a couple from each window of era...

Fasano and Carlson sort of started the new generation and Mayer and Eifert have the numbers.

I thought hard of putting Irv Smith on too but it has to stop somewhere

I think they call it an embarrassment of riches.

Wow this is tough. Two not on the list are Kmet and Rudolph. Irv Smith ? Wasn’t Tony Hunter a tight end ? Anyway I’ve seen everyone mentioned and some not mentioned. They are all awesome. I gotta say I do believe Mayer is the best of the bunch. After watching him over these last three years , he is everything you want in a tight end. Macafee and Bavaro are right there as well. Just my opinion

Wow this is tough. Two not on the list are Kmet and Rudolph. Irv Smith ? Wasn’t Tony Hunter a tight end ? Anyway I’ve seen everyone mentioned and some not mentioned. They are all awesome. I gotta say I do believe Mayer is the best of the bunch. After watching him over these last three years , he is everything you want in a tight end. Macafee and Bavaro are right there as well. Just my opinion
Kmet didn't do enough

Reactions: HRC08
I tried taking a couple from each window of era...

Fasano and Carlson sort of started the new generation and Mayer and Eifert have the numbers.

I thought hard of putting Irv Smith on too but it has to stop somewhere
Yes, of course, and it DOES have to stop SOMEWHERE.

That said, I've researched ND's 22 statistically most productive tight ends, starting with Leon Hart and Monty Stickles -- who technically weren't TIGHT ENDS as there was NO SUCH THING at the time, but they were certainly BUILT LIKE THEM and served that function -- and ending with Mayer.

As soon as I have a moment, I will post it. As with all stats, there are both NO-BRAINERS and SURPRISES contained in the list.

I think best and favorite may be 2 different things. Best is Mayer by far, but I love me some Bavaro. Just down right tough and always respected the kneel down in endzone.

No doubt.
He also threw an incredible TD pass to John Goodman (?) in a game against Washington State that was played in San Antonio for some reason. He had replaced Quinn late in the game, and I thought, "Wow, the future is bright at QB."

Reactions: Kelso86
He also threw an incredible TD pass to John Goodman (?) in a game against Washington State that was played in San Antonio for some reason. He had replaced Quinn late in the game, and I thought, "Wow, the future is bright at QB."
"He had replaced Quinn late in the game, and I thought, "Wow, the future is bright at QB."

Clausen -- but what is in a name! lol just busting your chops, but forgot about that laser of a throw as well.

That said, I've researched ND's 22 statistically most productive tight ends, starting with Leon Hart and Monty Stickles -- who technically weren't TIGHT ENDS as there was NO SUCH THING at the time, but they were certainly BUILT LIKE THEM and served that function -- and ending with Mayer.

As soon as I have a moment, I will post it. As with all stats, there are both NO-BRAINERS and SURPRISES contained in the list.
Stickles was a tight end for the 49'ers.

I was sorry to see him fail. I liked him as both a QB and a person. And he loved ND.
Stickles was a tight end for the 49'ers.
Yes, but when he started out at ND in 57, there was still no such thing. TE's were just becoming a THING in the late 50's and, even more so, in the early 60's.

To illustrate how new the idea was, the 61 tight end for the New York Giants, Joe Walton, was barely 6 foot and not quite 200 pounds.

What he was in fact was not so much a tight end as we now know it but rather NOT THE FLANKER OR SPLIT END.

The first two notable TE's were Mike Ditka of the Bears and the Colts' John Mackey. Ditka was 6 foot 3, 225 and Mackey 6 foot 2, 225. While you can play tight end with similar dimensions today, NOT MANY DO.

More on this:

Tight End Evolution

I was sorry to see him fail. I liked him as both a QB and a person. And he loved ND.

Yes, but when he started out at ND in 57, there was still no such thing. TE's were just becoming a THING in the late 50's and, even more so, in the early 60's.

To illustrate how new the idea was, the 61 tight end for the New York Giants, Joe Walton, was barely 6 foot and not quite 200 pounds.

What he was in fact was not so much a tight end as we now know it but rather NOT THE FLANKER OR SPLIT END.

The first two notable TE's were Mike Ditka of the Bears and the Colts' John Mackey. Ditka was 6 foot 3, 225 and Mackey 6 foot 2, 225. While you can play tight end with similar dimensions today, NOT MANY DO.

More on this:

Tight End Evolution
Ron Kramer was pretty good, too.

Ken MacAfee was a stud OL on every run, and a stud WR on each pass.

ND’S 22 MOST PRODUCTIVE TIGHT ENDS

By productive, I mean as measured in total career receptions/yards gained/yards per catch/and TD’s. So, the slash line will read the same as in this example:

25/500/15.0/5

Bear in mind . . .

Hart and Stickles were technically PRE-TIGHT ENDS, but they were built and functioned like them.

Casper played tight end in his senior year only; the same as Tony Hunter who had an additional 78 receptions as a wingback and wide receiver in his previous three seasons.

Bavaro played only two seasons.

Fasano, Rudolph, Eifert, Niklas, Mack and Kmet played only three seasons. Presumably, Mayer will as well.

I have BOLDED the BEST of them.

Monty Stickles 42/746/17.8/12

Leon Hart 49/751/15.3/5

Mike Creaney 45/871/19.4/5

Dave Casper 21/335/16.0/4

Ken MacAfee 128/1759/13.7/15

Dean Masztak 62/924/14.9/3

Tony Hunter 42/507/12.1/0

Mark Bavaro 55/771/14.0/4

Derek Brown 62/889/14.5/8

Irv Smith 28/360/12.9/5

Pete Chyrplewicz 48/585/12.2/5

Jabari Holloway 41/692/16.9/6

Anthony Fasano 92/1112/12.1/8

John Carlson 100/1093/10.9/8

Kyle Rudolph 90/1032/11.5/8

Tyler Eifert 140/1840/13.1/11

Troy Niklas 37/573/15.5/6

Ben Koyack 44/532/12.1/5

Alize Mack 68/716/10.5/4

Durham Smythe 28/381/13.6/6

Cole Kmet 60/691/11.5/6

Michael Mayer 180/2099/11.7/18

Unquestionably, Mayer, from a production standpoint, is in a LEAGUE BY HIMSELF despite having played ONLY THREE YEARS.

The only category he does not lead in is yards per catch, the surprising leader for which is Mike Creaney, ND’s first truly great – officially speaking – tight end who logged a whopping 19.4.

ADVERTISEMENT