ADVERTISEMENT

Tiger Woods hurt in

Hope he is alright..... sounds like he has 'multiple leg injuries'

Sucks.... Also, if you havnt watched it yet.... that HBO documentary is amazing..... his dad was quite the character.

Reactions: Kelso86
Hope he is alright..... sounds like he has 'multiple leg injuries'

Sucks.... Also, if you havnt watched it yet.... that HBO documentary is amazing..... his dad was quite the character.
Just yesterday, Dave Ramsey was comparing the HBO doc to the one on the Golf Channel. IT was to show a journalist can cherry pick whatever facts he wants to tell his story.

He’ll play golf again and It won’t be a miracle, he just won’t play at the same level.
If we read or hear one more time that Woods, following at least his third rotten-driving escapade, is “lucky to be alive,” I’m going to retch. Woods’ good fortune instead again lies in the fact he hasn’t killed anyone, including himself.

Lucky? At least twice while driving after taking prescription drugs, he was lucky to have not committed vehicular homicide — in 2009 and 2017.

His 2009 physical hassle with his ex-wife after her discovery of his infidelity culminated with a car “accident” after he’d ingested the strong prescription sedative Ambien. Yet he escaped a DUI charge.

This time, despite official reports that he was speeding as he crossed the center median, leaving no skid marks to indicate that he applied his brakes, then rolled up an embankment, has already been determined “an accident,” the media again portrayed Woods an innocent victim of fate to which he claimed no memory.

The truth, thus far, is that he crashed his vehicle.

He’s lucky that he didn’t crash into a car in the oncoming lane !

Glad he is going to recover. He is lucky the police did not take a blood sample &/or arrest him for reckless driving.

He's lucky he is alive. I don't think he's worried about a slap on the wrist offense

Oh, he cares, his endorsements, his reputation are at stake.

I was a Trooper before becoming a Fed and I would’ve absolutely sought a warrant/court order for any similar crash I would’ve been investigating.

Tiger clearly got some “special treatment” from the locals.

Oh, he cares, his endorsements, his reputation are at stake.

I was a Trooper before becoming a Fed and I would’ve absolutely sought a warrant/court order for any similar crash I would’ve been investigating.

Tiger clearly got some “special treatment” from the locals.

Agree, but why isn’t the media clamoring for the toxicological report from the hospital ?

If it was clean it would be released for the sake of all the endorsements.

Agree, but why isn’t the media clamoring for the toxicological report from the hospital ?

If it was clean it would be released for the sake of all the endorsements.

Toxicology reports are generally not public records and will be protected health information under HIPAA. If a toxicology report is generated as part of a forensic criminal investigation, it might possibly be a public record, but nobody was killed or injured in Tiger's accident, so I doubt any toxicology report, if one exists, will be considered a public record. And generally speaking, California has more protective laws on that sort of thing than other states.

I have read various opinions expressed by accident reconstruction experts that suggest the most plausible cause of the accident, based upon the evidence gathered from the accident site, is that Tiger fell asleep at the wheel. Whether he fell asleep because he took Ambien or some other medication, or simply because he was tired, is simply speculation. I read that the LA County sheriff's department executed a warrant for the "black box" from Tiger's SUV, but not for toxicology records. So I don't think we're going to find out what a blood test might have shown.

Toxicology reports are generally not public records and will be protected health information under HIPAA. If a toxicology report is generated as part of a forensic criminal investigation, it might possibly be a public record, but nobody was killed or injured in Tiger's accident, so I doubt any toxicology report, if one exists, will be considered a public record. And generally speaking, California has more protective laws on that sort of thing than other states.

I have read various opinions expressed by accident reconstruction experts that suggest the most plausible cause of the accident, based upon the evidence gathered from the accident site, is that Tiger fell asleep at the wheel. Whether he fell asleep because he took Ambien or some other medication, or simply because he was tired, is simply speculation. I read that the LA County sheriff's department executed a warrant for the "black box" from Tiger's SUV, but not for toxicology records. So I don't think we're going to find out what a blood test might have shown.

You’re missing the point, the one which ND’s greatest fan raised, “endorsements“.

We’re aware of HIPPA.

HIPPA is irrelevant in terms of public opinion.

If you have millions in endorsements riding on your image and your life style, you don’t hide behind HIPPA if your toxicology report is clean, you release it ASAP.

That’s marketing SOP and Common Sense 101

You’re missing the point, the one which ND’s greatest fan raised, “endorsements“.

We’re aware of HIPPA.

HIPPA is irrelevant in terms of public opinion.

If you have millions in endorsements riding on your image and your life style, you don’t hide behind HIPPA if your toxicology report is clean, you release it ASAP.

That’s marketing SOP and Common Sense 101

No, I didn't miss the point. You asked the rhetorical question why the media isn't clamoring for the hospital to release the toxicology report, if there is one. The answer to that question is because the hospital would likely be committing a HIPAA violation if it did so. Surely you don't expect that to happen? So the media can clamor all they want to the hospital, but the hospital isn't going to release private medical records.

That question is separate and apart from the issue of whether Tiger, for PR purposes, may decide to voluntarily disclose his private medical records. Personally, I think it is none of our business, but that is just me.

No, I didn't miss the point. You asked the rhetorical question why the media isn't clamoring for the hospital to release the toxicology report, if there is one. The answer to that question is because the hospital would likely be committing a HIPAA violation if it did so. Surely you don't expect that to happen? So the media can clamor all they want to the hospital, but the hospital isn't going to release private medical records.

That question is separate and apart from the issue of whether Tiger, for PR purposes, may decide to voluntarily disclose his private medical records. Personally, I think it is none of our business, but that is just me.

You still don’t get it, I addressed the HIPPA restrictions which Tiger can override!

So it’s your opinion that doctors/hospitals don’t order extensive lab work prior to major surgery ?

You still don’t get it !
Tiger can authorize the hospital/lab to release the toxicological report in a heartbeat, and that’s what the media should be clamoring for.

You can bet that they’d be off the wall clamoring for it if it was one of Trump’s kids.

If you were paying a celebrity millions a year to endorse your product, are you saying that you wouldn’t care whether your celebrity was using or abusing drugs ?

You still don’t get it, I addressed the HIPPA restrictions which Tiger can override!

So it’s your opinion that doctors/hospitals don’t order extensive lab work prior to major surgery ?

You still don’t get it !
Tiger can authorize the hospital/lab to release the toxicological report in a heartbeat, and that’s what the media should be clamoring for.

You can bet that they’d be off the wall clamoring for it if it was one of Trump’s kids.

If you were paying a celebrity millions a year to endorse your product, are you saying that you wouldn’t care whether your celebrity was using or abusing drugs ?

I understand your point, but that is not the question you asked. You asked why the media isn't clamoring for the hospital to release the records. I answered your question: it would be a violation of HIPAA if the hospital did so. What about that response don't you understand? Do you understand how HIPAA works? Your statement that TIger can authorize the release of his medical records if he wants to is a separate issue entirely. Do you not understand that? You are confusing the issues.

I also understand what lab work hospitals generally do before major surgery. I have had the misfortune of having several major surgeries myself. I am not a physician, but I have reviewed literally thousands and thousands of pages of medical and hospital records as part of my work. Hospitals do NOT routinely screen blood for illicit drugs (or other prescription drugs) unless there is a reason to. Those things may well be present in the blood sample, but that doesn't mean the hospital is screening for them when someone is about to have surgery. The common blood tests done before surgery include a CBC, a blood chemistry panel, and a coagulation study. Other tests may be run depending on the nature of the surgery being performed. If you think hospitals routinely look for illicit drugs (or perform a blood alcohol test) in a patient having major surgery, you are mistaken.

Whether the companies whose products Tiger endorses will seek more information from Tiger about what happened is between them and Tiger. But I strongly disagree with the idea that the public has any right to private health information, even if the person is a celebrity or an athlete. You have a different opinion. Fine. But let's not confuse what the issue is.

Reactions: tbonesays
I hope he recovers and gets to golf again but his license should be revoked. It’s only a matter of time before he kills himself or another person.

I understand your point, but that is not the question you asked. You asked why the media isn't clamoring for the hospital to release the records. I answered your question: it would be a violation of HIPAA if the hospital did so. What about that response don't you understand? Do you understand how HIPAA works? Your statement that TIger can authorize the release of his medical records if he wants to is a separate issue entirely. Do you not understand that? You are confusing the issues.

I also understand what lab work hospitals generally do before major surgery. I have had the misfortune of having several major surgeries myself. I am not a physician, but I have reviewed literally thousands and thousands of pages of medical and hospital records as part of my work. Hospitals do NOT routinely screen blood for illicit drugs (or other prescription drugs) unless there is a reason to. Those things may well be present in the blood sample, but that doesn't mean the hospital is screening for them when someone is about to have surgery. The common blood tests done before surgery include a CBC, a blood chemistry panel, and a coagulation study. Other tests may be run depending on the nature of the surgery being performed. If you think hospitals routinely look for illicit drugs (or perform a blood alcohol test) in a patient having major surgery, you are mistaken.

Whether the companies whose products Tiger endorses will seek more information from Tiger about what happened is between them and Tiger. But I strongly disagree with the idea that the public has any right to private health information, even if the person is a celebrity or an athlete. You have a different opinion. Fine. But let's not confuse what the issue is.

The hospital is the only entity in possession of the Toxicology report.

Ergo they would release it with consent from Tiger.

My impression is that they don't routinely do blood draws to test for EtOH.

All (or certainly most) hospitals have written protocols in place for circumstances when they might draw blood from a person admitted to the ER in order to do a BAC. In some states a BAC is mandatory for a person involved in a fatal traffic accident. In other states, a police officer may request the hospital perform a BAC where there is probable cause to believe a driver involved in an accident was impaired. There was a somewhat controversial opinion issued by SCOTUS a couple of years ago holding that no warrant is required for a hospital to draw blood from an unconscious patient brought to the ER if there was probable cause to believe the driver was impaired. Three justices (Sotomayor, Kagan and RBG) dissented and said drawing blood from an unconscious patient for a BAC without a warrant was a violation of the Fourth Amendment, which bars the government from conducting unreasonable searches and seizures.

I doubt a BAC was done on Tiger, though I don't know for sure. The responding police officers said TW didn't seem impaired (alcohol on breath, slurred speech, red eyes, etc.) and there was no evidence of drugs or alcohol inside his car. Assuming that was the case, I don't think there would have been probable cause for the police to request a BAC be performed by the hospital. The hospital likely did some blood testing before Tiger had surgery, but they likely wouldn't have been screening for EtOH or illicit drugs. But I guess we will see.

All (or certainly most) hospitals have written protocols in place for circumstances when they might draw blood from a person admitted to the ER in order to do a BAC. In some states a BAC is mandatory for a person involved in a fatal traffic accident. In other states, a police officer may request the hospital perform a BAC where there is probable cause to believe a driver involved in an accident was impaired. There was a somewhat controversial opinion issued by SCOTUS a couple of years ago holding that no warrant is required for a hospital to draw blood from an unconscious patient brought to the ER if there was probable cause to believe the driver was impaired. Three justices (Sotomayor, Kagan and RBG) dissented and said drawing blood from an unconscious patient for a BAC without a warrant was a violation of the Fourth Amendment, which bars the government from conducting unreasonable searches and seizures.

I doubt a BAC was done on Tiger, though I don't know for sure. The responding police officers said TW didn't seem impaired (alcohol on breath, slurred speech, red eyes, etc.) and there was no evidence of drugs or alcohol inside his car. Assuming that was the case, I don't think there would have been probable cause for the police to request a BAC be performed by the hospital. The hospital likely did some blood testing before Tiger had surgery, but they likely wouldn't have been screening for EtOH or illicit drugs. But I guess we will see.

Yes this. The blood draws at the H are being done as a favor to law enforcement.

I was quite surprised the day I learned the cops can take your blood without consent at roadside, but not surprised anymore.

Yes this. The blood draws at the H are being done as a favor to law enforcement.

I was quite surprised the day I learned the cops can take your blood without consent at roadside, but not surprised anymore.

where can police draw blood at roadside? I’ve been in LE for 22 years and I’ve never heard such a thing.

when I was a Trooper, I had to either get consent or a court order. We weren’t licensed to draw blood, it has to be done by a certified medical professional to ensure proper chain of custody and standard of care.

even with what he lost in the divorce Tiger is still worth HUNDREDS of millions of dollars. So I doubt losing endorsements really bother him.

where can police draw blood at roadside? I’ve been in LE for 22 years and I’ve never heard such a thing.

when I was a Trooper, I had to either get consent or a court order. We weren’t licensed to draw blood, it has to be done by a certified medical professional to ensure proper chain of custody and standard of care.
Arizona

a Trooper actually draws blood? How do they do it? A lab tech needs a license to draw blood.
They have a training program the police have to pass, an news article said 100 hours of training with 100 draws. SCOTUS ruled police must get a warrant, which they can do at roadside 24/7 with a laptop in under 15 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT