ADVERTISEMENT

Threshold for the playoff

scubastevefl

I've posted how many times?
Dec 9, 2006
USC or U-Dub could win the PAC-12 with 6 wins including the conference champ game. Ohio State with 7 in their conference. Teams in the ACC and SEC are playing 9-10-11 games. Where’s the cutoff?

Ohio state has played 4 games and the program is shut down right now ... so they won’t likely play next week either and will finish the season with 5 games. Not sure if they will then play a 6th as the conf championship game.

Reactions: Zorich 88
That's a great question. And even if we lose to Clemson the fact that we're 11-1, with 12 games over a team that's 5-0 or 6-0 and vying for a spot has got to help us. It just wouldn't feel right for some team that's played five games to get in ahead of us.

I watched Oregon St. pull off a sweet win over Oregon last night so they're out. The color guy was farily emphatic about how Oregon's loss eliminates the PAC-10 as a conference from contention, but occasionally that dude even though I like says shit that's a little off. Or maybe he just doesn't consider USC as worthy of consideration in any event.

Wasn't a requirement put in that you had to win six games to make it to a bowl game? I could see some relaxation on this standard this year BUT, the playoffs??? Especially since other teams played 10, 11, 12 games. It doesn't make sense that you can play half of the games of other teams and still make the playoffs.

Imagine all of the teams that lost players to injury and some team that plays half the games comes in and scoops their spot. Where do you draw the line is the major question here. How many games can you not play and have no injuries and still land a spot in the playoffs? Does this set a standard moving forward?

Wasn't a requirement put in that you had to win six games to make it to a bowl game? I could see some relaxation on this standard this year BUT, the playoffs??? Especially since other teams played 10, 11, 12 games. It doesn't make sense that you can play half of the games of other teams and still make the playoffs.

Imagine all of the teams that lost players to injury and some team that plays half the games comes in and scoops their spot. Where do you draw the line is the major question here. How many games can you not play and have no injuries and still land a spot in the playoffs? Does this set a standard moving forward?
This year there is no win requirement. You just have to be invited.

I thought you had too have 10 data points to be in, all sec & acc playoffs teams, sorry to the rest.

Ohio state has played 4 games and the program is shut down right now ... so they won’t likely play next week either and will finish the season with 5 games. Not sure if they will then play a 6th as the conf championship game.
I dont think the committee puts OSU in, unless they play 7
I don't know if the BUG10 will stick with that rule for the conference championship game. However, the PC is not bound by it anyway. The PC could easily say "Fine but we don't want to see Northwestern get blown out in the first 5 minutes vs Bama, so anOSU is #4."

This year there is no win requirement. You just have to be invited.
So, all a team has to do is have a name and cancel all of its games like OSU is doing. Forget all those teams that play week in and week out - they're just suckers. Guess it's better to have four wins and play for a championship than worry about playing a 11/12 game season.

So, all a team has to do is have a name and cancel all of its games like OSU is doing. Forget all those teams that play week in and week out - they're just suckers. Guess it's better to have four wins and play for a championship than worry about playing a 11/12 game season.
Yep. Welcome to 2020.

Assuming ND makes it to 12 games including the ACCCG, that will be a major accomplishment they should be proud of, especially if they finish undefeated. I'll never forget this season.

i dont think it will be the b10, they will make the rules fit OSU. The committee will not pick a 6 win OSU over a 1 loss ACC or SEC that has played 10+. IMO.

OSU has to get to 7 or 8. 6 will not cut it.

If any of these games are rescheduled prior to the conference championship games...it muddy's up the water quite well....That could happen in order to qualify for a mininum number of games. You can't put a team in the final four with a 5 ot 6 game schedule......only it might happen. What a trainwreck this is shaping up to be.

I mean if you can get to the playoff with 6 wins. ND should just cancel Cuse and WF and prep for the ACCCG.

Reactions: ftnfan62
Over the last 25 years we’ve seen many 5-0
Paper tigers that did not end up as 12-0 championship contenders. 10+ game gauntlet will expose the frauds.

Yep. Welcome to 2020.

Assuming ND makes it to 12 games including the ACCCG, that will be a major accomplishment they should be proud of, especially if they finish undefeated. I'll never forget this season.
I think our 'reward' for a 12-1 season would be a trip to New Orleans to play #1 Bama..

Reactions: NDapolisDS
The Irish will play any team !! Anywhere !! Regardless of games played !! We would crush OHIO STATE !! We have too much chemistry for them !!

Reactions: BGI User 1596
ADVERTISEMENT