ADVERTISEMENT

The "realists" are out and the trolls are hungry!

Great post, and I agree with most of it. I can accept and be happy about 10-2 seasons, but my biggest issue is the blowout losses. I believe ND has the talent to beat most of the top teams. There was no reason for ND to lose the way they did vs UM, or to Miami 2 years ago. To me that just shows a lack of preparedness and an inability to motivate from the coaching staff. I’m not expecting perfection year in and year out, but the expectation should be that they are competitive in every game, and the staff has the team prepared and motivated.

Had they lost to UM by 4 or 7, sure we would have been disappointed, but we could have looked past it as a tough loss to a rival on the road. Those blowout losses simply make me lose confidence in the coaching staff that they can get to the next level.
I’ve said it before, and I’ll post it here now. I hope I’m proven wrong and that BK can take the program to that next level. I would eat crow all day pong for that to happen.
Well said!

Great post, and I agree with most of it. I can accept and be happy about 10-2 seasons, but my biggest issue is the blowout losses. I believe ND has the talent to beat most of the top teams. There was no reason for ND to lose the way they did vs UM, or to Miami 2 years ago. To me that just shows a lack of preparedness and an inability to motivate from the coaching staff. I’m not expecting perfection year in and year out, but the expectation should be that they are competitive in every game, and the staff has the team prepared and motivated.

Had they lost to UM by 4 or 7, sure we would have been disappointed, but we could have looked past it as a tough loss to a rival on the road. Those blowout losses simply make me lose confidence in the coaching staff that they can get to the next level.
I’ve said it before, and I’ll post it here now. I hope I’m proven wrong and that BK can take the program to that next level. I would eat crow all day pong for that to happen.

Yeah and at this point in year 10 a loss like that at UM is inexcusable. I guess a lot of my feelings are centered around being optimistic about where we've been and where we are going. Kelly will not be here pasts 2022 and baring a 4-8 or 6-6 year he will not be going anywhere. I have a lot of stock in these next 3-4 years and feel like we are really about to turn the corner, of course only time will tell!

Reactions: NDinNJ
Yeah and at this point in year 10 a loss like that at UM is inexcusable. I guess a lot of my feelings are centered around being optimistic about where we've been and where we are going. Kelly will not be here pasts 2022 and baring a 4-8 or 6-6 year he will not be going anywhere. I have a lot of stock in these next 3-4 years and feel like we are really about to turn the corner, of course only time will tell!
I dont see Kelly leaving til 2023 at the earliest but I'm thinking 24 or 25 for him

Reactions: Catholicfan95

Blowout losses occasionally happen even with the best teams. Look at what happened to Ohio State last year against Purdue; they got drilled. Even Saban has laid an occasional egg, though it's been a long time since the last one. But when you aren't winning any games on the big stage, as has been the case with ND, those blowout losses carry an extra sting.

Though Kelly certainly has his flaws, I like where things are going and am going to hope for the best, as I always do. When I was younger and ND lost a game, I was in a funk for days. I would yell and scream at the television during games. My wife often asked me why I even bothered watching the games, because I would get so worked up when things went wrong (as they often did in big games). With age has come perspective. I am and always will be a fan of ND, but it's simply not the end of the world for me anymore if we lose. They're college kids playing a college game. I'm still hoping for another national championship before I shuffle off this mortal coil, but if it doesn't happen, I still have a lot of good memories about ND football, and will work on passing on those traditions and memories to my grandson, so that he may carry them on. I frequently watch games with him now, and grandpa screaming f-bombs at the television isn't a memory I want to leave him with. And so I am joyful when ND wins, and try to set a good example for my grandson when things don't go as we hoped. That's how I see ND football these days.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
Blowout losses occasionally happen even with the best teams. Look at what happened to Ohio State last year against Purdue; they got drilled. Even Saban has laid an occasional egg, though it's been a long time since the last one. But when you aren't winning any games on the big stage, as has been the case with ND, those blowout losses carry an extra sting.

Though Kelly certainly has his flaws, I like where things are going and am going to hope for the best, as I always do. When I was younger and ND lost a game, I was in a funk for days. I would yell and scream at the television during games. My wife often asked me why I even bothered watching the games, because I would get so worked up when things went wrong (as they often did in big games). With age has come perspective. I am and always will be a fan of ND, but it's simply not the end of the world for me anymore if we lose. They're college kids playing a college game. I'm still hoping for another national championship before I shuffle off this mortal coil, but if it doesn't happen, I still have a lot of good memories about ND football, and will work on passing on those traditions and memories to my grandson, so that he may carry them on. I frequently watch games with him now, and grandpa screaming f-bombs at the television isn't a memory I want to leave him with. And so I am joyful when ND wins, and try to set a good example for my grandson when things don't go as we hoped. That's how I see ND football these days.

Right on the money!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT