ADVERTISEMENT

The Notre Dame challenge that continues to grow every year.........

Duo

ND Expert
Jul 23, 2006
If you go to ACC.com you will see the ND logo displayed at the top of the page along with all the other schools in the ACC. And if you click on the ND logo it will take you through a photo tour of ND.

The quality of the ACC football teams continue to improve every year with over all wins against other conferences, National Championships, Heisman candidates and improved recruiting across the board. Look no further than Miami and Florida State as they move up in the rankings to where they once were in the past..........both ranked in the top 10 in recruiting and wins for over a decade. Of course, Clemson has been steadily improving for a long time with wins over Alabama, Ohio State and Florida State and they just keep getting better.

Then there are Duke, Louisville, North Carolina State, Pitt and Virginia Tech, all teams that have beaten ND while UNC has posed a serious challenge. ND's ACC schedule this year will be challenging and interesting to watch. Traditionally ND has won a little over 50% of it's ACC games.

If you go to ACC.com you will see the ND logo displayed at the top of the page along with all the other schools in the ACC. And if you click on the ND logo it will take you through a photo tour of ND.

The quality of the ACC football teams continue to improve every year with over all wins against other conferences, National Championships, Heisman candidates and improved recruiting across the board. Look no further than Miami and Florida State as they move up in the rankings to where they once were in the past..........both ranked in the top 10 in recruiting and wins for over a decade. Of course, Clemson has been steadily improving for a long time with wins over Alabama, Ohio State and Florida State and they just keep getting better.

Then there are Duke, Louisville, North Carolina State, Pitt and Virginia Tech, all teams that have beaten ND while UNC has posed a serious challenge. ND's ACC schedule this year will be challenging and interesting to watch. Traditionally ND has won a little over 50% of it's ACC games.

I know FSU doesn't have a free board, so you hang out here & talk about the ACC constantly.

You always try to work ND into it so you don't get banned. But it's always some negative comment towards ND.

You act like somehow ND is some 2nd rate program because they have lost to some ACC teams in their history? Or that ND is some how intimidated by the ACC? The fact that you come to a ND board is the answer to that. ND is still tier 1 in football programs, FSU needs decades of winning before they will be considered so. And about 5-7 more titles.

It's getting old. Stop creating ACC threads by trying to disguise them as ND threads.

Is there a point to this post?

Is there a point to this post?

NDEwing.........

Actually NDE... that's a good question!

The point is that ND had better change and seriously improve. Having said that it would appear that is happening or about to happen to a certain degree. I have never been a Kelly fan. Nothing personal I just don't think he is "big time" college football caliber and doesn't hold a candle to many of the famous coaches of Notre Dame's past. While Kelly has been dawdling the past few years schools like Stanford have been winning.

This year appears to be the last straw for Kelly. My guess is the only way he survives is if he keeps his mouth shut and stays out of the way. We shall see..........it worked for Joe Paterno. In a way I'd like to see ND have a winning season. But, in another way I'd like to see Kelly replaced. If the first time ND loses and Kelly starts playing the blame game again and alienating the new assistant coaches then my guess is it's his last hurrah. Anyway, change is good. All eyes on the coach(s).

NDEwing.........

The point is that ND had better change and seriously improve. Having said that it would appear that is happening or about to happen to a certain degree. I have never been a Kelly fan. Nothing personal I just don't think he is "big time" college football caliber and doesn't hold a candle to many of the famous coaches of Notre Dame's past. While Kelly has been dawdling the past few years schools like Stanford have been winning.

This year appears to be the last straw for Kelly. My guess is the only way he survives is if he keeps his mouth shut and stays out of the way. We shall see..........it worked for Joe Paterno. In a way I'd like to see ND have a winning season. But, in another way I'd like to see Kelly replaced. If the first time ND loses and Kelly starts playing the blame game again and alienating the new assistant coaches then my guess is it's his last hurrah. Anyway, change is good. All eyes on the coach(s).
Call purs
Maybe he can get you a job beside him bagging groceries.

Reactions: echowaker

ND owns Pitt. Pitt has won like one time against ND this decade lol.

"Or what?"

Or more seasons like last year or the years of Charlie Weis, Ty Willingham, Bob Davie or Gerry Faust.

"Notre Dame better improve or they will have a lousy season" is not a conclusion that requires a significant amount of intellectual depth.

"Notre Dame better improve or they will have a lousy season" is not a conclusion that requires a significant amount of intellectual depth.

NDE........

Exactly ................that is a true statement.

"Traditionally ND has won a little over 50% of it's ACC games."

More uninformed ACC nonsense from duoche. Kelly is 20-8 against the ACC for a 71% winning percentage. Overall, against the ACC, Notre Dame has a record of 139-59-3. He would've been right had he said ND has won a little over 70% of its games against the ACC, but what's 20 % points when you're trying to flame a rival on their team message board?

With the power conferences, SEC, Pac, Big Ten, each conference has 2 or maybe 3 teams that there exists a talent gap between them and ND. The recent recruiting classes created that that gap and that gap is not closing but appears to becoming greater.

Teams with lesser pure talent can overcome that gap with superior coaching and player development, however, in recent years that has not been something ND's teams have possessed, but that has also increased the gap. Swarbrick mandated changes, and assumedly he signed off on those staff changes.
we will see soon enough if this disadvantage can become an advantage.

With the power conferences, SEC, Pac, Big Ten, each conference has 2 or maybe 3 teams that there exists a talent gap between them and ND. The recent recruiting classes created that that gap and that gap is not closing but appears to becoming greater.

Teams with lesser pure talent can overcome that gap with superior coaching and player development, however, in recent years that has not been something ND's teams have possessed, but that has also increased the gap. Swarbrick mandated changes, and assumedly he signed off on those staff changes.
we will see soon enough if this disadvantage can become an advantage.

Pers....

Like some ND fans Swarbrick likes the ACC very much and has stated so publicly on numerous occasions. He stays involved and attends the various functions. He can see what's going on across the Conference with the coaching and recruiting. This year will be a turning point. It will be very interesting to see what decisions Swarbrick makes. Once the name calling started with big Charlie, Swarbrick was quick to act.

Pers....

Like some ND fans Swarbrick likes the ACC very much and has stated so publicly on numerous occasions. He stays involved and attends the various functions. He can see what's going on across the Conference with the coaching and recruiting. This year will be a turning point. It will be very interesting to see what decisions Swarbrick makes. Once the name calling started with big Charlie, Swarbrick was quick to act.
You do realize that Swarbrick is over the entire athletic department, or which the great majority of teams are in the ACC, right? So yes, he stays involved and attends various ACC functions.o_O

You do realize that Swarbrick is over the entire athletic department, or which the great majority of teams are in the ACC, right? So yes, he stays involved and attends various ACC functions.o_O

Absolutely correct...............including football! ;)

At the ACC conference in Amelia Island, Florida this year Jack Swarbrick said, "We love the ACC."

Last edited:
NDEwing.........

"This year appears to be the last straw for Kelly."

Unless this team severely tanks it and shows zero appreciable improvement throughout the season, then yes, Kelly will likely not survive.

But, As Jack S said -- they did not make the hires in the off-season that they did for a 1 year experiment.

"This year appears to be the last straw for Kelly."

Unless this team severely tanks it and shows zero appreciable improvement throughout the season, then yes, Kelly will likely not survive.

But, As Jack S said -- they did not make the hires in the off-season that they did for a 1 year experiment.

Kelso...........

Excellent point. The risk is can Kelly stay out of the way and keep his mouth shut? Or............will he meddle in what the new coaches are trying to do and alienate them and cause problems? We may never know because most of that will be going on behind the scenes.

Reactions: Kelso86
Kelso...........

Excellent point. The risk is can Kelly stay out of the way and keep his mouth shut? Or............will he meddle in what the new coaches are trying to do and alienate them and cause problems? We may never know because most of that will be going on behind the scenes.
Is there any head coach that doesn't "meddle" in what his coordinators are doing? His livelihood kind of depends on it.

Is there any head coach that doesn't "meddle" in what his coordinators are doing? His livelihood kind of depends on it.

One example was probably Joe Paterno. Kelly has spiraled down to last year's performance much the same way that Al Golden did at Miami by waiting WAY to long to fire the DC.

One example was probably Joe Paterno. Kelly has spiraled down to last year's performance much the same way that Al Golden did at Miami by waiting WAY to long to fire the DC.

In retrospect, Paterno probably should have meddled more in what his coordinators were doing.

In retrospect, Paterno probably should have meddled more in what his coordinators were doing.

It appears that he did and he knew!

BK could take one lesson from Jopa.................Get in the booth!

ADVERTISEMENT