ADVERTISEMENT

The Marcus Freeman appreciation thread

NCDomer1

I've posted how many times?
Sep 23, 2005
In his first year at ND he is recruiting a national championship defense at all positions. It just goes to show everyone he is not buying into any excuses we heard in the past. ND is going to be pure nasty on defense this year and years to come. Thank you so much Mr. FREEMAN. Irish eyes are smiling and in debt to you. I have a feeling he might be coach in waiting, but first thing first win an NC

images

The 2 biggest threats in keeping Freeman at ND is a return to his alma mater - OSU - and a head coaching job.

Not sure what the OSU defensive staff situation is but I do know they were exposed a few times last year - especially in the DB - which sucked last year and that's being kind. They were especially drilled in the Indiana and Alabama games which is unusual for them as they've usually had very strong DBs. I just don't think that school will put up with another mediocre performance again this year - heads will roll if it does..

But I do believe Freeman has a HC job in his future - possibly in the next couple of years or so. He's becoming a superstar in the CF assistant coaching ranks.

At some point they all leave, you can only hope to keep top coaches 1-3 years. They want to run a team. Sometimes you get the great coach that just loves that position, like Joe Moore with Lou. Those tend to be position and not OC/DC coordinators. The top OC/DC's when you play at a perennial top 10 team get hired by other schools hoping they learned something from the top coaches. Saban, Kelly, Dabo, Riley and Day will feed new head coaching positions. Its just what happens.

Reactions: scubastevefl
Marcus Freeman is the last piece of the NC puzzle for the Irish !! And you have to understand he is even a better coach than he is a recruiter !! We will win it all this year ! Marcus would have had the Irish D shut down Alabama last year ! He will be the best defensive coach the Irish have ever had !!

Reactions: Ara64
The 2 biggest threats in keeping Freeman at ND is a return to his alma mater - OSU - and a head coaching job.

Not sure what the OSU defensive staff situation is but I do know they were exposed a few times last year - especially in the DB - which sucked last year and that's being kind. They were especially drilled in the Indiana and Alabama games which is unusual for them as they've usually had very strong DBs. I just don't think that school will put up with another mediocre performance again this year - heads will roll if it does..

But I do believe Freeman has a HC job in his future - possibly in the next couple of years or so. He's becoming a superstar in the CF assistant coaching ranks.

"Not sure what the OSU defensive staff situation is but I do know they were exposed a few times last year - especially in the DB"

Yea, they were exposed a bit, but, their 2021 defensive class coming is is outstanding (think they have 3 within the top 10 players -- just got the #1 recruit in the country over the weekend). And, the 2022 class is nothing to sneeze at as well. How well they do -- that is TBD -- one thing though that won't change -- Michigan may not beat them for another 10 years.

"Not sure what the OSU defensive staff situation is but I do know they were exposed a few times last year - especially in the DB"

Yea, they were exposed a bit, but, their 2021 defensive class coming is is outstanding (think they have 3 within the top 10 players -- just got the #1 recruit in the country over the weekend). And, the 2022 class is nothing to sneeze at as well. How well they do -- that is TBD -- one thing though that won't change -- Michigan may not beat them for another 10 years.
I sense a big upset this year and Michigan beats Ohio State. It will shock the Nation ! Much like when Appy State beat Michigan years back.

I sense a big upset this year and Michigan beats Ohio State. It will shock the Nation ! Much like when Appy State beat Michigan years back.

"I sense a big upset this year and Michigan beats Ohio State. It will shock the Nation ! Much like when Appy State beat Michigan years back."

That might be the funniest thing I have read all year! lol This year's recruiting class (2021), next year's (2022) and quite possibly 2023 for OSU -- in addition to what they already have -- is far superior to that school in Michigan (or anyone in the B10). Don't be surprised if Day drops 100 on Michigan (yes, word is he is still pissed about not playing them last fall and the way UM backed out).

Last edited:
I don't think Ohio State is unbeatable. Any team can be beaten if the cards fall just right, even our beloved Irish. Could Michigan pull off the upset this year, Yes! Will they, who knows until they play this season. The smart play says, Yes. The insightful play says, it could happen if the cards fall right. My distain runs so deep for Michigan that I hope Ohio State wins by 1,000 points. I don't care for Ohio State either.

I don't think Ohio State is unbeatable. Any team can be beaten if the cards fall just right, even our beloved Irish. Could Michigan pull off the upset this year, Yes! Will they, who knows until they play this season. The smart play says, Yes. The insightful play says, it could happen if the cards fall right. My distain runs so deep for Michigan that I hope Ohio State wins by 1,000 points. I don't care for Ohio State either.
Michigan will be lucky to keep it within 3 to 4 touchdowns. For them to win you are talking a minor miracle

Reactions: Kelso86
Remember what Brent "the mouth" said as he closed out the ND-Miami game in 1988? "And folks that's why they play the game." The game isn't played out on message boards but on the field. Miracles do happen in football all the time. I personally agree with you, BUT you never can tell.

Do you think they would let him recruit for the offense as well? Looks like they need some help after wiffing on all the OL this summer lol!

Harbaugh will be history after 2022 if OSU keeps steamrolling his ass.

I'm not saying UM upsets them, but in a way, I agree with you that this might be the year with OSU starting a RS freshman QB. If Michigan doesn't beat them this year. it could be a long, long time until it happens again.

In a way, OSU thumping UM every year really helps ND in recruiting - specifically in the Midwest. Right now it's ND and OSU controlling that section on the country although in reality, both ND and OSU are now very strong national recruiters. And adding Freeman only strengthens ND in that regard

"I sense a big upset this year and Michigan beats Ohio State. It will shock the Nation ! Much like when Appy State beat Michigan years back."

That might be the funniest thing I have read all year! lol This year's recruiting class (2021), next year's (2022) and quite possibly 2023 for OSU -- in addition to what they already have -- is far superior to that school in Michigan (or anyone in the B10). Don't be surprised if Day drops 100 on Michigan (yes, word is he is still pissed about not playing them last fall and the way UM backed out).
I thought Day was pissed - and dropping the 100 on them - over a phone call with the B1G when Harbaugh questioned Day about his team or methods ?

Reactions: Kelso86
I'm not saying UM upsets them, but in a way, I agree with you that this might be the year with OSU starting a RS freshman QB. If Michigan doesn't beat them this year. it could be a long, long time until it happens again.

In a way, OSU thumping UM every year really helps ND in recruiting - specifically in the Midwest. Right now it's ND and OSU controlling that section on the country although in reality, both ND and OSU are now very strong national recruiters. And adding Freeman only strengthens ND in that regard
Is Michigan going to be starting a frosh?

Not a Michigan fan but I doubt it. That true freshman McCarthy kid could turn out to be a good one down the road. Harbaugh better hope so because I think he's running out of time.
Definitely a um hater, but live here in MI. Agree about McCarthy, but what I am reading, it will be Bowman who will start the season. Transfer from TX Tech.

Getting back to the topic of this thread--Marcus Freeman--I just listened to the Chris Zorich podcast with Marcus. I commend it to anyone here who wants to get a sense of what Marcus is all about. I was thoroughly impressed. It's pretty easy to see why he is such a dynamic recruiter, and why kids seem to take to him so quickly. At the end of the day it will be all about what kind of DC he is, but I feel pretty good that the Irish defense will be in good hands.

Getting back to the topic of this thread--Marcus Freeman--I just listened to the Chris Zorich podcast with Marcus. I commend it to anyone here who wants to get a sense of what Marcus is all about. I was thoroughly impressed. It's pretty easy to see why he is such a dynamic recruiter, and why kids seem to take to him so quickly. At the end of the day it will be all about what kind of DC he is, but I feel pretty good that the Irish defense will be in good hands.
I just watched it and man, he had me fired up. The guy oozes charisma. If he’s half the coach as he is a talker, we will be in really good shape as long as we have him.

Finish strong mr Freeman. The defense is going to dictate how the offense does.

Just keep him until he becomes an HC, if that’s the guys goal and it mostly likely is, money can only do so much, but don’t lose him to another school as a DC. The way Leah went from DC to HC at an SEC school has to be a draw for Freeman, beats starting at Western Kentucky.

ADVERTISEMENT