ADVERTISEMENT

The last time I ripped on Brey

The team has no talent. That’s partly on Brey, but it’s not like the university let’s him recruit.

He did bring in the #10 class this year. We lost a lot w/ the departures of Farrell, bonzie & geben. We’ll probably go through some bad growing pains this season but it will toughen up the frosh class for the next few years. Settle in, fellas, this’ll be a long season. Hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: Kelso86
He did bring in the #10 class this year. We lost a lot w/ the departures of Farrell, bonzie & geben. We’ll probably go through some bad growing pains this season but it will toughen up the frosh class for the next few years. Settle in, fellas, this’ll be a long season. Hope I’m wrong.

I tend to think that class was a little overrated... JMO though. They landed shooters (which you need), but they didn't land anyone that can consistently get to the bucket, get fouled and make players. There isn't a Demetrius Jackson or Jerian Grant in the group, whose athleticism makes you say "wow". They landed some thick ankles with good jump shots... I really like Nate, I think Hubb will be more Eric Atkins than Demetrius Jackson, Goodwin is a complimentary shooter and Carmody, we hope, can be a Steve Vasturia.

I think it was a good 5 man support group, but outside of maybe Nate (who is a 6'10 shooter who struggles to get to the basket) who in this group, or this team really, is an ALPHA with talent?

I think you’re undervaluing carmody as a guy that can get to the hoop. He plays w/ some gusto and is an excellent athlete. I don’t think Harvey is the type of athlete you’re talking about either. Durham doesn’t seem to have any low post moves and I’m worried that all he is is length and not a lot of basketball skills. We need a bonzie (although he wasn’t a great athlete either) or a Cooley or a harangody that can create offense w/ backing people down and using low post baby hooks to open up the outside shooting. Chalk this up to a learning year for the youngsters. Brey needs to land some bangers that can score. I’m gonna root like crazy for improvement, but I’m worried this season is gonna go sideways in a hurry.

Work in progress. Patience.

Can we cancel Duke this season? Zion Williamson -- holy s--t! Just ain't fair.

This just in! Radford is

81980963.jpg

I think you’re undervaluing carmody as a guy that can get to the hoop. He plays w/ some gusto and is an excellent athlete. I don’t think Harvey is the type of athlete you’re talking about either. Durham doesn’t seem to have any low post moves and I’m worried that all he is is length and not a lot of basketball skills. We need a bonzie (although he wasn’t a great athlete either) or a Cooley or a harangody that can create offense w/ backing people down and using low post baby hooks to open up the outside shooting. Chalk this up to a learning year for the youngsters. Brey needs to land some bangers that can score. I’m gonna root like crazy for improvement, but I’m worried this season is gonna go sideways in a hurry.

I just don't see what people are soooo high on regarding Carmody's athleticism. I think he's a nice player, certainly not dogging the kid. I just don't think he's anywhere close to the athlete Connaughton or Grant were, and both those guys played the same off guard role / small forward role that Carmody will fill.

As for Durham, why not play him an let him develop rather than getting absolutely nothing out of Elijah Burns with the exception of a guy who can set a screen. What are you getting out of Juwan Durham? A guy who blocked 6 shots the other night in limited minutes. A guy whose length is imperative when you're trying to rebound with teams like North Carolina and Duke when Burns is getting his ass kicked on the glass because he's not athletic enough.

In 14 minutes the other night Durham had 6 points, was 4-4 from the free throw line (he's excellent there), 6 blocked shots and 4 rebounds... If he played 20 minutes that quality protection down there.

Mike Brey knows a hell of a lot more about basketball than I do, but if I were in I'd mail in this year (a year in which recruiting was already a disaster) and focus on next year...

I'd start...

PG: Prentiss Hubb
G: TJ Gibbs
G: DJ Harvey
F: John Mooney
F: Juwan Durham

Bench
G: Robbie Carmody
G: Rex Pflueger
F Nate Laszewski
F: Elijah Burns

I'd play a 3 for 2 rotation with Hubb, Gibbs and Carmody, with Gibbs sliding to PG when Carmody is in the game. I'd play Pflueger about 15 minutes per night giving Harvey or the off guard a blow. Mooney is an obvious starter and I'd rotate Laszewski off the bench with him in a near identical role. I'd start Durham for defense, rebounding and let his game slowly develop on offense and spell him for 15 minutes a night with Burns.

You guys are insane...cash the season in?? Bench your veterans for the rookies??

Zion Williamson will blow his knee or something. He has bust written all over him. Don’t worry about that joke of a player.

We have a good team. We’re a boarderline top 25 team, and if we played in any other conference other than the ACC we’d be a tourney lock every year. The ACC brings brutal competition and these players will improve. Look at a lot of CBB powers, they have 1 and dones who peak at the end of the year. Unfortunately though many of them aren’t mentally fit to survive the entire tourney. I think ND and Brey always bring a mentally tough team. It’s hard for us when we get behind due to our style, but we come back strong and beat very teams the next game, on the road even. ND brings a unique style to the ACC, Sort of how Georgia Tech does for football. This season is far from over. We lost to Radford, sounds pathetic and horrible. But they were a tournament team last year and actually won their first game in the tourney. They returned their best players. Radford has been in the tourney the last couple years, and they’re just as experienced as ND is. The only difference is they don’t go through the ACC kill floor.

I think we have a chance to have a special team. We are to the ACC in basketball to what Georgia Tech is in football.

Areas we could improve on definitely is guard play. We need to have some cool, relaxed guards who don’t dribble in place looking left and right but guards who bring it up court looking at the defensive, and thinking of which way to swing the ball.

I don’t think he’s the athlete that connaughton & grant were but I know you realize that connaughton put up some record breaking numbers at the combine. You’re comparing him to one of the most athletic players in combine history so of course that’s a pretty high bar. I’m not saying he’s Vince carter, I just think he’s got enough quickness & bounce to fill that role somewhat. I think he can get get to the basket. Like I said, it’ll be a long year cuz our veteran smalls aren’t the sharpshooters we’re accustomed to at ND, and we lack a true big that can back people down (although Mooney is working on it), but I like this class, I think it will be a really good foundation for 2 years down the road. Maybe even next year. This season, rebuilding/learning year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT