ADVERTISEMENT

The Irish should join the SEC.

1. CCG rematches are boring and anti-college football.
2. 99% of our 1-loss seasons mean national title chances in whatever post-season. You have to have quite a few ducks line up to replicate 2021.
Good post.

And thankfully, Jack Swarbick is the "straw that stirs the drink...." for the overall Notre Dame athletic program.

Reactions: Raymond G
1) Yeah, no. UGA last year lost CCG to Alabama, AND THEN the CFC was a rematch of epic proportions and UGA won the rematch. So yeah, no.

2) Yeah, no. With 1-loss and no conference championship game to play, we twiddle our thumbs sitting and watching while teams that are undefeated or with 1-loss are playing for a championship. Five Power 5 conferences, and now a non-power 5 team (thank you Cincy) can be added to the mix. So we definitely have to replace one Conf. Champion, maybe 2, to get in with a loss. In addition, we play a schedule that is in general, less than the SEC sched. of teams, every year. If, IF we were to get in with one-loss, we'd have to make a case why we belong, over a CCG winner - - maybe 2, and all the excitement and hype the CCG brings. Yeah, no.
Cincy is in the 'Power 5' in 2023 and/or it will be the P4.
We aren't replacing the SEC champ ever.
We already got in with 1 loss.

But really what do we lose when all of the ducks line up like 2021? We were not going to win the national title. In another Bama blow out we may not learn that we need a change at DC.

Cincy is in the 'Power 5' in 2023 and/or it will be the P4.
We aren't replacing the SEC champ ever.
We already got in with 1 loss.

But really what do we lose when all of the ducks line up like 2021? We were not going to win the national title. In another Bama blow out we may not learn that we need a change at DC.

We got in the playoff covid year with a loss, correct? A Conf. Championship loss!

In 2021 we were HOPING our ducks could line up in a row to get in with 1-loss, we needed 3 games to go our way on conf. championship day, just for consideration - no guarantee, and 2 of the 3 early games went our way but, with 1 loss, and as I said many times, we will not get in with 1-loss, we didn't.

I never said we would replace the SEC champ? But, live long enough and the SEC might wilt away and maybe we DO replace some SEC team in the future, but until things change, i.e., us as some pseudo Independent, we won't get in with a loss. 1 in 20 years that happens, at best.

We got in the playoff covid year with a loss, correct? A Conf. Championship loss!

In 2021 we were HOPING our ducks could line up in a row to get in with 1-loss, we needed 3 games to go our way on conf. championship day, just for consideration - no guarantee, and 2 of the 3 early games went our way but, with 1 loss, and as I said many times, we will not get in with 1-loss, we didn't.

I never said we would replace the SEC champ? But, live long enough and the SEC might wilt away and maybe we DO replace some SEC team in the future, but until things change, i.e., us as some pseudo Independent, we won't get in with a loss. 1 in 20 years that happens, at best.
Most 1 loss ND teams would have been in the playoff and a few won national titles under the poll system. Joining a conference is a solution in search of a problem.

Most 1 loss ND teams would have been in the playoff and a few won national titles under the poll system. Joining a conference is a solution in search of a problem.

That might well be true as far as the poll system days of yore and lore.

I agree with the first part of your last sentence. While somewhat clever sounding, it would make better sense if we were talking about anti-viral software.

We lost to Cinci. Not really a power house in football.

If that one loss is to OSU, LSU or Michigan we get in over Cinci. We last to a non-p5 or we would have made another selection.

Reactions: NDinNJ
LOL -- Bodi is the resident eternal optimist! I am sure there are those in Buckeye land as well ..

You have to read what he says, then step back about 20 paces and really see how far off this guy can be.
Bodi is about as accurate as Brandon Wimbush

Love the optimistic posts but realism is not in his thinking

I understand your point. And I’m suggesting we are better served by maintaining our current Independent status for the time being. No one knows what college football will look like ten years from now, and I simply prefer we stay the course for the time being and retain our maximum flexibility for what is in our best interest. Having a fair legitimate opportunity to compete for the National Championship annually, to be on equal footing as Conference champs when playoff berths are decided, and earning comparable money proportionate To the strength of our brand and national, etc… are critical considerations going forward, and I think these can each be achieved currently by remaining independent. The question Is whether that will hold true several years from now.
I hear you my GREAT friend Telx. I am just ready for a change NOW. I feel we must go to the next level and play the best competition and fight like Mad dogs against the Hawgs and the Dawgs ! With Marcus as our leader nothing can stop us ! Marcus will be like Sherman with his march through Atlanta ! Destroying everything in his path ! Notre Dame would be the most feared and hated team in the SEC.
When Marcus and his troops stomp the buckeyes this thread must be revisited ! If the Bucks are our best competition in the North why keep playing those teams?
Go Irish !
The time is now !
No more 12 and 0 talk ! With the troops Marcus is bringing in the only thing I will be thinking is about National Championships !

Reactions: Telx1
Playing tough schedules year after year would sharpen them up. I believe the Irish would replace Bama as the best team in the league. And we played well against Georgia twice.
Marcus Freeman is recruiting GREAT now but would do even better playing in the SEC.
It would be alot of fun playing at Death Valley on Saturday night and crushing BK's dream.. It would be neat to avenge our lone loss to Ole Miss in our 77 championship season. Lots more excitement in the SEC.
Notre Dame can offer the 40 year decision and the three year decision with big NIL money from our rich boosters.

*** I know I am the man in the wilderness on this but shouldnt we want to play the best competition week after week?
And we could still beat USC and Navy every year.

This would be their first SEC schedule.

1. Texas (A)
2. Navy (N)
3. Arkansas (H)
4. Alcorn State (H)
5. Alabama (H)
6. LSU (A)
7. Ole Miss (A)
8. Miss State (H)
9. Georgia (H)
10. Oklahoma (H)
11. Mercer (N)
12. USC (A)
13. SEC Championship.

*** By the time we join the SEC in a couple of years Tommy Rees will be an OC in the NFL---I would replace him with Urban Meyer as OC. Reform him first like Saban did with his assistants.

What say you ? Good idea, bad idea, exciting at least?
That is a totally ridiculous schedule with possibly 3 to 4 losses built in. Forget it. If joining a conference make it the ACC where we have something in common with several very good academic private and state schools. We would be a total outsider in the SEC with nothing in common with those so called universities.

Please, not the SEC. Of the 16 universities in the SEC, only Vandy, Georgia and Florida rank in the top 100 of academic institutions in the US according to USN&WR. I think Texas would probably have to be included in that category now. I don't think ND would stomach paying lip service to the SEC idea of student athletes. And personally, I couldn't stand watching the Big 10 exact its revenge on ND for shunning the conference for so long by treating us like the red headed stepchild. The ACC is the best fit but I think it is going to be broken up as the Big 10 and SEC convince Miami, FSU, Clemson and UNC to break away. I think ND's independence actually makes it more appealing and lucrative now. No other school has the brand or the chops to do that.

Reactions: Raymond G
The problem is money. ND makes $30 million (?) from NBC, meanwhile the B1G teams will soon make $100-120 million per year. ND no longer has their money train advantage. Join the B1G or SEC and lose out in recruiting every year and become irrelevant. Ultimately, ND has no choice.

The problem is money. ND makes $30 million (?) from NBC, meanwhile the B1G teams will soon make $100-120 million per year. ND no longer has their money train advantage. Join the B1G or SEC and lose out in recruiting every year and become irrelevant. Ultimately, ND has no choice.
This whole post is nonsense

Reactions: NDinNJ
Coming from those who know zero about Notre Dame. It's laughable.

Reactions: Golson5
A clueless, ignorant post.

Reactions: Golson5 and NDinNJ
Maybe. ND's football team was better when the school had less money.

. The ACC is the best fit but I think it is going to be broken up as the Big 10 and SEC convince Miami, FSU, Clemson and UNC to break away. I think ND's independence actually makes it more appealing and lucrative now. No other school has the brand or the chops to do that.
Almost a given at this point. Just a matter of time. Like it or not, the B1G is probably ND's best bet - a lot of it based around academics and proximity

Reactions: Weisnheimer
It has been at least 3 generations since ND his been a standout brand appeal to fans or players! ND is just a school in the Midwest. I grew up in 50‘s and through the 70’s ND‘s image was something special (whether valid or not) . Politically and religiously ND has tarnished it’s image.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Golson5
It has been at least 3 generations since ND his been a standout brand appeal to fans or players! ND is just a school in the Midwest. I grew up in 50 and threw the 70’s ND‘s image was something special (whether valid or not) . Politically and religiously ND has tarnished it’s image.
OK.

It has been at least 3 generations since ND his been a standout brand appeal to fans or players! ND is just a school in the Midwest. I grew up in 50‘s and through the 70’s ND‘s image was something special (whether valid or not) . Politically and religiously ND has tarnished it’s image.

lol

Biggest moron on here

We are all dumber for reading this

ND does not make that much from NBC. Closer to $20 million; add in ACC money and it is around $25 million in total. Maybe NBC will offer $30 million when the media rights come up for renegotiation.

Playing tough schedules year after year would sharpen them up. I believe the Irish would replace Bama as the best team in the league. And we played well against Georgia twice.
Marcus Freeman is recruiting GREAT now but would do even better playing in the SEC.
It would be alot of fun playing at Death Valley on Saturday night and crushing BK's dream.. It would be neat to avenge our lone loss to Ole Miss in our 77 championship season. Lots more excitement in the SEC.
Notre Dame can offer the 40 year decision and the three year decision with big NIL money from our rich boosters.

*** I know I am the man in the wilderness on this but shouldnt we want to play the best competition week after week?
And we could still beat USC and Navy every year.

This would be their first SEC schedule.

1. Texas (A)
2. Navy (N)
3. Arkansas (H)
4. Alcorn State (H)
5. Alabama (H)
6. LSU (A)
7. Ole Miss (A)
8. Miss State (H)
9. Georgia (H)
10. Oklahoma (H)
11. Mercer (N)
12. USC (A)
13. SEC Championship.

*** By the time we join the SEC in a couple of years Tommy Rees will be an OC in the NFL---I would replace him with Urban Meyer as OC. Reform him first like Saban did with his assistants.

What say you ? Good idea, bad idea, exciting at least?
First of all, the SEC would never take ND. Second of all, ND would be a .500 team in the SEC.

In fact, Notre Dame needs the BIG far more than BIG needs ND.

$100M annual for TV rights BEFORE ND joins. And that at least 2.5 to 3 times what ND takes now.

ND needs the BT now....and that's a fact.

First of all, the SEC would never take ND. Second of all, ND would be a .500 team in the SEC.

$100M annual for TV rights BEFORE ND joins. And that at least 2.5 to 3 times what ND takes now.

Nonsense.

SEC would take us in a second. Absolutely would do cartwheels to get us

Coming from those who know zero about Notre Dame. It's laughable.
Fine, if you want to take the moral high ground, but then the future of the football program is that of a secondary mid-major, much like Cincinnati. Frankly, ND has been on par with a current Cincinnati for about 25 years, since Holtz left.

Btw, I didn’t attend ND, but I grew up in SB during the 70’s and 80’s and clearly remember the 2 championships in the 70’s. This current program is a shadow of those teams.

Fine, if you want to take the moral high ground, but then the future of the football program is that of a secondary mid-major, much like Cincinnati. Frankly, ND has been on par with a current Cincinnati for about 25 years, since Holtz left.

Btw, I didn’t attend ND, but I grew up in SB during the 70’s and 80’s and clearly remember the 2 championships in the 70’s. This current program is a shadow of those teams.
You're a moron

Btw, I didn’t attend ND, but I grew up in SB during the 70’s and 80’s and clearly remember the 2 championships in the 70’s. This current program is a shadow of those

😂 Notre Dame is a Global brand. There is a reason they were able to get and obtain their own network deal for the better part of 30 years. Texas tried it and failed. ND alone is it's own conference. If they wanted to send their next television contract out to bid, i can guarantee someone would pay 80-100 million or more per year to be able to televise Notre Dame games.

Look at the rating whenever ND is in a prime time matchup. Ratings are through the roof. Why? because you have the enormous fan base, and the haters who love to watch them hoping they lose. That's the reality.

Reactions: BGI User 756
😂 Notre Dame is a Global brand. There is a reason they were able to get and obtain their own network deal for the better part of 30 years. Texas tried it and failed. ND alone is it's own conference. If they wanted to send their next television contract out to bid, i can guarantee someone would pay 80-100 million or more per year to be able to televise Notre Dame games.

Look at the rating whenever ND is in a prime time matchup. Ratings are through the roof. Why? because you have the enormous fan base, and the haters who love to watch them hoping they lose. That's the reality.

If you can "guarantee" ND is worth 80-100 million, why do they accept roughly $18 million/year from NBC?

Nevada,

The SEC would KILL to have ND and ND would do just fine in the SEC. ND does NOT need the BIG more then the BIG needs them. On the contrary, both sides would be fine without the other. I just happen to think the BIG makes more sense in the long run IF the Irish HAVE to join a conference. As far as the money side of things, ND Makes about 15 million from NBC annually. But, they make WAY more then that as a whole from football. The amount has been making around $115,000,000 annually in the past few years. The do NOT have money problems and never will. Remember, they are the ONLY NCAA football program that has a true national fanbase. There is going to be a wild battle for whoever would be able to make them a full time member. But, unless they are forced to...they won't need to give up their independence.

Not quite sure about this. While the sky is falling around all of us old timers, I hope and sincerely believe that Notre Dame continues to stand strong.

ADVERTISEMENT