ADVERTISEMENT

The Irish should join the SEC.

BodiTheGreat

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2018
Playing tough schedules year after year would sharpen them up. I believe the Irish would replace Bama as the best team in the league. And we played well against Georgia twice.
Marcus Freeman is recruiting GREAT now but would do even better playing in the SEC.
It would be alot of fun playing at Death Valley on Saturday night and crushing BK's dream.. It would be neat to avenge our lone loss to Ole Miss in our 77 championship season. Lots more excitement in the SEC.
Notre Dame can offer the 40 year decision and the three year decision with big NIL money from our rich boosters.

*** I know I am the man in the wilderness on this but shouldnt we want to play the best competition week after week?
And we could still beat USC and Navy every year.

This would be their first SEC schedule.

1. Texas (A)
2. Navy (N)
3. Arkansas (H)
4. Alcorn State (H)
5. Alabama (H)
6. LSU (A)
7. Ole Miss (A)
8. Miss State (H)
9. Georgia (H)
10. Oklahoma (H)
11. Mercer (N)
12. USC (A)
13. SEC Championship.

*** By the time we join the SEC in a couple of years Tommy Rees will be an OC in the NFL---I would replace him with Urban Meyer as OC. Reform him first like Saban did with his assistants.

What say you ? Good idea, bad idea, exciting at least?

Last edited:
Playing tough schedules year after year would sharpen them up. I believe the Irish would replace Bama as the best team in the league. And we played well against Georgia twice.
Marcus Freeman is recruiting GREAT now but would do even better playing in the SEC.
It would be alot of fun playing at Death Valley on Saturday night and crushing BK's dream.. It would be neat to avenge our lone loss to Ole Miss in our 77 championship season. Lots more excitement in the SEC.
Notre Dame can offer the 40 year decision and the three year decision with big NIL money from our rich boosters.

*** I know I am the man in the wilderness on this but shouldnt we want to play the best competition week after week?

1. Texas (A)
2. Navy (N)
3. Arkansas (H)
4. Alcorn State (H)
5. Alabama (H)
6. LSU (A)
7. Ole Miss (A)
8. Miss State (H)
9. Georgia (H)
10. Oklahoma (H)
11. Mercer (N)
12. USC (A)
13. SEC Championship.

*** By the time we join the SEC in a couple of years Tommy Rees will be an OC in the NFL---I would replace him with Urban Meyer as OC. Reform him first like Saban did with his assistants.

I like your imagination.

Urban would never entertain an OC position. He would rather be a HC at the lower level for a couple of years to set himself up for a HC job at an FBS school. The difference is, Saban's assistants were coaches that were fired at the college level. UM won 3 championships.

I like your imagination.

Urban would never entertain an OC position. He would rather be a HC at the lower level for a couple of years to set himself up for a HC job at an FBS school. The difference is, Saban's assistants were coaches that were fired at the college level. UM won 3 championships.
Lol urban needs to prove himself BEFORE getting an fbs position!?

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ
if they are gonna go Woke the they should join the FDA

1. Texas (A)
2. Navy (N)
3. Arkansas (H)
4. Alcorn State (H)
5. Alabama (H)
6. LSU (A)
7. Ole Miss (A)
8. Miss State (H)
9. Georgia (H)
10. Oklahoma (H)
11. Mercer (N)
12. USC (A)
13. SEC Championship.

No Thank You.

Why give up our national footprint in order to become another Vanderbilt in SEC by virtue of NIL, Academics and weather.

his elevator doesn’t stop at every floor.
Terrible idea to join the SEC.
Jack Swarbick's decision to pass on the Big 10 and negotiate the current ACC deal, while maintaining some Football independence, was and is high level thinking.

Jack Swarbick's decision to pass on the Big 10 and negotiate the current ACC deal, while maintaining some Football independence, was and is high level thinking.
Couldn't that have been done with the Big 10 though? Notre Dame has good regional rivalries with Michigan, Purdue, Michigan State to name a few. And they'd still keep games against USC, Stanford, Navy, BC etc. They wouldn't have to play all those teams every year but to me it makes more sense. Other than the occasional game vs Florida State or Clemson, it's not that exciting.

You could not pick a worse conference for ND values. From GPA to puppy mil. The ACC or B10 would be the closest match to the entire experience.

I'm not for joining a conference, it makes ND "Like every other team". There is a magic in the sound of her name when its followed by Independent. You cant be the lead dog when your beholden to a confernence.

Once you lose your exclusive contracts and are told what to do, your no longer ND. Your Vanderbilt or Duke.

Reactions: Mobes and rrdd2021
You could not pick a worse conference for ND values. From GPA to puppy mil. The ACC or B10 would be the closest match to the entire experience.

I'm not for joining a conference, it makes ND "Like every other team". There is a magic in the sound of her name when its followed by Independent. You cant be the lead dog when your beholden to a confernence.

Once you lose your exclusive contracts and are told what to do, your no longer ND. Your Vanderbilt or Duke.
If ND joined the B1G...I am afraid it would be Northwestern's big brother...and that's about it. The national recruiting niche' would fade away, over time of course. But the culture and stature of ND would be diluted by the conformity and brand limitations that the conference imposes...especially the B1G, which, as a conference, is ND-adverse. No, Thanks.

Reactions: tbonesays

1. Texas (A)
2. Navy (N)
3. Arkansas (H)
4. Alcorn State (H)
5. Alabama (H)
6. LSU (A)
7. Ole Miss (A)
8. Miss State (H)
9. Georgia (H)
10. Oklahoma (H)
11. Mercer (N)
12. USC (A)
13. SEC Championship.

Bodi, you’ve suggested this before. I prefer our current state of Independence, and our affiliation with the ACC. Just a look at our schedules for 23 and 24 shows that we play a challenging exciting schedule each of these upcoming seasons, and I prefer the flexibility to fit in interesting and challenging games like with Ohio St and BYU this upcoming season.
The SEC is a money juggernaut and they are Seriously looking at creating an even larger conference and crowning their own National Champion outside of the NCAA. The pathetic and ineffective NCAA and the ever waffling direction of the structure of the playoffs is contributing to this. The future of college football with the NIL and the ongoing conference alignment changes, controversy over the playoff structure, dissatisfaction with the NCAA, etc…all suggests staying independent and playing the chess game from this vantage point.

Couldn't that have been done with the Big 10 though? Notre Dame has good regional rivalries with Michigan, Purdue, Michigan State to name a few. And they'd still keep games against USC, Stanford, Navy, BC etc. They wouldn't have to play all those teams every year but to me it makes more sense. Other than the occasional game vs Florida State or Clemson, it's not that exciting.
"Couldn't that have been done with the Big 10 though?"

NO WAY would the B1G have given ND conference affiliation in all sports EXCEPT football

But then, games with Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois would have been thrilling ..

Reactions: tbonesays

NO WAY would the B1G have given ND conference affiliation in all sports EXCEPT football

But then, games with Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois would have been thrilling ..
I wouldn't be so sure about that they've been trying to get ND to join for years now.

ND would also be playing Nebraska, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio State, Minnesota. Quite a few of those games would draw massive viewership.

Not to mention spine tingling match ups against Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, and Purdon't.

Thank goodness.

If we had a gun to our head, the ACC makes the most sense. But we don’t so let’s not.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Over the last 10 years, SEC has one 7 titles and ACC 3. B10 has 1 over 10 years.

If ND were to join, yes, the SEC is the best fit for contenders with the ACC next. The problem is, the SEC fits with nothing else about ND. The SEC took "student" out of the athlete.

If you are going to build a conference to complete with the SEC, you would want to add OSU, ND and USC.

We all know, ND was held from joining the B10 by that Michigan Racist Yost. Maybe in 500 years, we will finally bury the hatchet.

ND should never join a conference which includes Ohio State. That is one POS program and fan base. No thanks.

Better to be in the ACC for recruiting. ND can already recruit Big 10 territory.

Bodi, you’ve suggested this before. I prefer our current state of Independence, and our affiliation with the ACC. Just a look at our schedules for 23 and 24 shows that we play a challenging exciting schedule each of these upcoming seasons, and I prefer the flexibility to fit in interesting and challenging games like with Ohio St and BYU this upcoming season.
The SEC is a money juggernaut and they are Seriously looking at creating an even larger conference and crowning their own National Champion outside of the NCAA. The pathetic and ineffective NCAA and the ever waffling direction of the structure of the playoffs is contributing to this. The future of college football with the NIL and the ongoing conference alignment changes, controversy over the playoff structure, dissatisfaction with the NCAA, etc…all suggests staying independent and playing the chess game from this vantage point.
If you dont change you wither away. The SEC is by far the best conference because it gets the best players and they play against the best players week after week in conference games and practice.
If the SEC expands like you say and crowns its own champion then every team including Notre Dame that does not play in that super conference would become irellevant.
Notre Dame deserves to be in National conversation and to play in the big leagues is all Im saying. Texas and Oklahoma got it right.
And after a hundred years of playing Purdue and Michigan State and Pitt why not start playing teams like Alabama and Ole Miss or Auburn for the next hundred years. The south and north have blended quite a bit since the 60's.

*** Oklahoma and Texas want to start getting NC'S again. They made the right move.

*** College football is king in the South. Notre Dame needs to make their college football GREAT again. ND can still have a great academic school and be a GREAT football school at the same time.

*** If not becoming a full time SEC member then at least join it like we joined the acc.

Go Irish !
Beat Ohio State !

If you dont change you wither away. The SEC is by far the best conference because it gets the best players and they play against the best players week after week in conference games and practice.
If the SEC expands like you say and crowns its own champion then every team including Notre Dame that does not play in that super conference would become irellevant.
Notre Dame deserves to be in National conversation and to play in the big leagues is all Im saying. Texas and Oklahoma got it right.
And after a hundred years of playing Purdue and Michigan State and Pitt why not start playing teams like Alabama and Ole Miss or Auburn for the next hundred years. The south and north have blended quite a bit since the 60's.

*** Oklahoma and Texas want to start getting NC'S again. They made the right move.

*** College football is king in the South. Notre Dame needs to make their college football GREAT again. ND can still have a great academic school and be a GREAT football school at the same time.

*** If not becoming a full time SEC member then at least join it like we joined the acc.

Go Irish !
Beat Ohio State !
I understand your point. And I’m suggesting we are better served by maintaining our current Independent status for the time being. No one knows what college football will look like ten years from now, and I simply prefer we stay the course for the time being and retain our maximum flexibility for what is in our best interest. Having a fair legitimate opportunity to compete for the National Championship annually, to be on equal footing as Conference champs when playoff berths are decided, and earning comparable money proportionate To the strength of our brand and national, etc… are critical considerations going forward, and I think these can each be achieved currently by remaining independent. The question Is whether that will hold true several years from now.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
It’s not really possible for a single conference to declare themselves champion. I mean they can but it’s like ND claiming we where in 93 or Alabama and about 10 of their self claimed.

if they step away from playing in a BCS they will just be the super conf champion I think.

No

It was and is a stupid deal. All he did was handcuff Notre Dame's freedom to schedule anyone, to playing 6 games with ACC teams. So Notre Dame isn't free to schedule anybody they want in those 6 games, AND, we don't even get the chance to play and win the ACC Conference title. At least if you play in and win a CCG ND would be pretty set in making a 4-team playoff. Right now those 6 games are meaningless except to those conference teams that can boast beating a Notre Dame team.

It was and is a stupid deal. All he did was handcuff Notre Dame's freedom to schedule anyone, to playing 6 games with ACC teams. So Notre Dame isn't free to schedule anybody they want in those 6 games, AND, we don't even get the chance to play and win the ACC Conference title. At least if you play in and win a CCG ND would be pretty set in making a 4-team playoff. Right now those 6 games are meaningless except to those conference teams that can boast beating a Notre Dame team.
Is it true that we cannot compete for the ACC championship? I think that is not true. When we beat Clemson we had to play them agdd as in in the Chsmpions game. Correct ?

Is it true that we cannot compete for the ACC championship? I think that is not true. When we beat Clemson we had to play them agdd as in in the Chsmpions game. Correct ?

Ski, that was the covid season where we played in their CCG because we had a season where we were considered, in that conference and qualified for playing in that CCG. Unless they can amend the deal to allow for that with 6 gms played, it's highly doubtful.

Are you busting my chops here? You knew that.

Its 5 games, not 6

Reactions: HotCarNut
Ski, that was the covid season where we played in their CCG because we had a season where we were considered, in that conference and qualified for playing in that CCG. Unless they can amend the deal to allow for that with 6 gms played, it's highly doubtful.

Are you busting my chops here? You knew that.
No W, I forgot that was the COVID year. I crs like What happened yesterday is getting tough. Or me. Lol

Reactions: Weisnheimer
that is like saying the new license does not give us the chance to stand in line at the DMV.

Reactions: Kelso86
that is like saying the new license does not give us the chance to stand in line at the DMV.

I know tbone you'd rather not play in a conference. But I will take a 11-1 or 2 record with a Conf. Championship and roll the dice that we make playoffs, than a 1-loss season and Jan. 1 bowl game.

• Love
Reactions: BodiTheGreat
I know tbone you'd rather not play in a conference. But I will take a 11-1 or 2 record with a Conf. Championship and roll the dice that we make playoffs, than a 1-loss season and Jan. 1 bowl game.
1. CCG rematches are boring and anti-college football.
2. 99% of our 1-loss seasons mean national title chances in whatever post-season. You have to have quite a few ducks line up to replicate 2021.

1. CCG rematches are boring and anti-college football.
2. 99% of our 1-loss seasons mean national title chances in whatever post-season. You have to have quite a few ducks line up to replicate 2021.

1) Yeah, no. UGA last year lost CCG to Alabama, AND THEN the CFC was a rematch of epic proportions and UGA won the rematch. So yeah, no.

2) Yeah, no. With 1-loss and no conference championship game to play, we twiddle our thumbs sitting and watching while teams that are undefeated or with 1-loss are playing for a championship. Five Power 5 conferences, and now a non-power 5 team (thank you Cincy) can be added to the mix. So we definitely have to replace one Conf. Champion, maybe 2, to get in with a loss. In addition, we play a schedule that is in general, less than the SEC sched. of teams, every year. If, IF we were to get in with one-loss, we'd have to make a case why we belong, over a CCG winner - - maybe 2, and all the excitement and hype the CCG brings. Yeah, no.

ADVERTISEMENT