ADVERTISEMENT

The Irish should join the SEC West.

BodiTheGreat

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2018
To be the best you have to play the best.
Instead of playing Navy every year we would play Bama.
And we could play Michigan and USC and Stanford and Clemson as our out of conference games. No cupcakes like Incarnate word or the Citadel.
Pay top dollar for coaches and recruit most of our players out of Georgia, Mississippi, Florida and Louisiana. The only Language classes our recruits need to get in is English or street.
Be bold !! Be badass !!
Lets win some Championships !

Reactions: theskibro and Ara64
And we could play Michigan and USC and Stanford and Clemson as our out of conference games. No cupcakes like Incarnate word or the Citadel.
Pay top dollar for coaches and recruit most of our players out of Georgia, Mississippi, Florida and Louisiana. The only Language classes our recruits need to get in is English or street.
Be bold !! Be badass !!

Bodi, Get a grip, tonque in cheek or not, playing a murderous schedule will guarantee that ND never makes the playoffs

Be bold !! Be badass !!

How has no one thought of this?

Be bold !! Be badass !!

I think if you join the SEC, the conference does the assignment. And you get Bama or UGA.

BK said it best, “nicely”.

“Alabama does it the right way, they just have a different business plan”

Interpreted to “Alabama is about getting the best athletes to compete for an NT, ND is about getting the best student athletes that want to persue a degree along with competing for an NT”.

SEC business plan is not a good alignment for ND. ACC or BT would be closest.

If it comes down to it, ND should start their own conference. Why do we need to be in someone else’s?

Start the Acedemica conference. If your grad rate drops below 90 your not allowed on the conf championship.

Standord, Navy, Wake, Duke, Vandy, North Western, ND, Purdue, Ga Tech, Rutgers.

Reactions: TOMMY_23
It would end all the discussion about ND's soft schedule and winning because our opponents had an off season. Nice try Bodi!

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
Be bold !! Be badass !!
You stop playing Navy you will get death.

It appears A&M and Georgia have adopted the Bama/Clemson business plan. You have to ask yourself. What do we, as fans with little to no say, really want out of our football program as a whole. Do we want our kids to graduate? Do we want the best student athletes in the nation who will succeed academically and go through this roller coaster every year? Do we want football to be it's own entity within the university? Do we want decent enough graduation rates with perennial playoff appearances? How does the staff identify , then come up with their own business plan of attracting elite and academically qualified student athletes? Is it the campus atmosphere? The religious aspect? The academics? The facilities? The social life? How does ND cash in on an undefeated regular season and a playoff appearance?

The Alabama football program organizational structure dwarfs other universities efforts.

How has no one thought of this?

If visionaries like Knute Rockne were still around it would have been thought of. Instead we are in a "Mind Prison" of Jack Swarbrick--and Shamrock series and playing games at Fenway and Yankee Stadium late in the year. I am the only one left with Bold Visions for the Irish. Joining the SEC West would make ND football elite again. Recruiting would enter the stratosphere.

ND is special, why so many still love to come here and hate on our team. Its the business plan that calls for perfection in record, academics and life.

We don't always win at all, but we do not fail to put all those on equal terms. I still believe that there is enough talent available who meet those if we go get them. If you combined the best talent that the top academic schools have, combined, ND would be fine. I don't believe its talent, I believe BK is the answer as well. Like AL, there are some suspect assistant coaches. Go get the best always and pay them, like Balis. It makes a huge difference. Is our line coach the best there is? OC? DC? Secondary, RB, etc...? Don't know, but we should be the last 2-3 year stop on your way to a HC position and not your first gig.

ND is special, why so many still love to come here and hate on our team. Its the business plan that calls for perfection in record, academics and life.

We don't always win at all, but we do not fail to put all those on equal terms. I still believe that there is enough talent available who meet those if we go get them. If you combined the best talent that the top academic schools have, combined, ND would be fine. I don't believe its talent, I believe BK is the answer as well. Like AL, there are some suspect assistant coaches. Go get the best always and pay them, like Balis. It makes a huge difference. Is our line coach the best there is? OC? DC? Secondary, RB, etc...? Don't know, but we should be the last 2-3 year stop on your way to a HC position and not your first gig.

It is actually one of the few functioning ‘free’ message boards left. not quite the only store in town, but close to it!

Interpreted to “Alabama is about getting the best athletes to compete for an NT, ND is about getting the best student athletes that want to persue a degree along with competing for an NT”.

If it comes down to it, ND should start their own conference. Why do we need to be in someone else’s?

Start the Acedemica conference. If your grad rate drops below 90 your not allowed on the conf championship.

Ew

Heard on WSBT a few years ago that Purdue does not graduate their players. Less then 70%

Texas A&M joined the SEC west and it has really helped there recruiting and is now a great destination for top coaches. Notre Dame would do even better !

In the years since A&M has been in the SEC, what have they accomplished in football? Any conference titles? Division titles? Once Johnny Football left, A&M brought in the SEC cash, but not the wins. At least Missouri has a couple of division titles to their credit. We will have to see how the Jimbo era works out. We will see if Jimbo, with all that cash and the full win at all costs support of his bosses are enough to make A&M a perennial player in the SEC, starting now. The main reason A&M even courted the SEC was because of the launching of the Longhorn Network. They also considered the PAC 8-10-12 or whatever they are now.

Has not really helped Vandy which would be inline with our “business plan”. ACC would be the only conf if we do not start our own.

Bodi, I was born, raised, educated, live in, and most likely die here in the South. First, the SEC wouldn't consider a university that far North for membership in the SEC. It won't happen my friend. ND in the SEC would be like trying to fit a size 7 foot into a size 12 shoe. The most important thing on any major university in the South is football. Even here in Kentucky where Basketball is King, football is a very close second. ND would totally have to scrap its present model; go back to the days of Rockne, to reach its full glory. I estimate that being no way in hades and the devil having a change and become a good guy. I believe ND wants to win but not to the extent of sacrificing everything on the altar of football. Father Ted said it best the day Dan Devine was introduced at ND. ND has decided to go in a different direction. They didn't like hearing those words, "at ND football is a religion-at Alabama it's a life." -- Keith Jackson

ND ceased being a football factory and academics became the face of the university. The fanbase has been slow catching on to that reality. We yearn for championships while the university lust after academic recognition and glory in the classroom.

Reactions: Kelso86
Ara my friend, all we have to do is go back to Leahy before things changed. Father Cavanaugh resented the football program as having their own identity. Terry Brennan suffered the shockwave of Cavanaugh's decision. Since then it's been a roller coaster ride. Comparing BK with the Era of Ara isn't fair or accurate. Neither is comparing BK with Lou. Many fans do this without realizing that times and attitudes are constantly changing. Just look at the reason why Urban Meyer rejected ND and you can pretty much figure out why many elite players have the same thinking.

Has not really helped Vandy which would be inline with our “business plan”. ACC would be the only conf if we do not start our own.
The ACC is the only one that makes any sense at all from a peer group perspective. Duke, Wake, BC, GA Tech, UVA are all schools that have reasonably similar (NOT perfectly aligned, mind you) philosophies to ND as far as how they mesh athletics and academics.

The reason I went back to Rockne was ND was all in for football being the face of the university. We sometimes forget that football was started at ND to gain recognition for the small catholic school in South Bend, IN. Back then until Jesse Harper, ND coaches lasted around two years. Like Coach Parseghian said, it all starts with Rockne. Toby, you're absolutely correct in your thoughts.

Reactions: tbonesays
Be bold !! Be badass !!
A waste is a terrible thing to mind.....

Notre Dame does not overly recruit 5-Star guys because these guys have a main interest in making millions in the NFL, which mostly includes leaving early. Now making millions before you are 25 or so is a lofty goal that Notre Dame does not promote. ND promotes graduation before leaving. The fallacy of this situation however is that Notre Dame is losing more and more players who do opt out to go pro regardless of their initial intent.

Being that you lose guys anyway, and are just hiding behind the fact you want them to be students first - why not get some 5 Star guys? That way you can be honest about what is going on.

Notre Dame does not overly recruit 5-Star guys because these guys have a main interest in making millions in the NFL, which mostly includes leaving early. Now making millions before you are 25 or so is a lofty goal that Notre Dame does not promote. ND promotes graduation before leaving. The fallacy of this situation however is that Notre Dame is losing more and more players who do opt out to go pro regardless of their initial intent.

Being that you lose guys anyway, and are just hiding behind the fact you want them to be students first - why not get some 5 Star guys? That way you can be honest about what is going on.
Is there some school of thought out there that suggests we don't covet five start guys? Because I am 100% sure we are marketing ND to every five star guy that has the academic credentials needed. Why wouldn't we?

twalsh best check the offers that go out. Just because the main goal of a kid is to get to the NFL does not mean he is not worthy of Notre Dame.

If ND joined the SEC anything they would have to play by the SEC rules which they won't. the SEC already has Vandy and do not need another.

Bodi, I was born, raised, educated, live in, and most likely die here in the South. First, the SEC wouldn't consider a university that far North for membership in the SEC. It won't happen my friend. ND in the SEC would be like trying to fit a size 7 foot into a size 12 shoe. The most important thing on any major university in the South is football. Even here in Kentucky where Basketball is King, football is a very close second. ND would totally have to scrap its present model; go back to the days of Rockne, to reach its full glory. I estimate that being no way in hades and the devil having a change and become a good guy. I believe ND wants to win but not to the extent of sacrificing everything on the altar of football. Father Ted said it best the day Dan Devine was introduced at ND. ND has decided to go in a different direction. They didn't like hearing those words, "at ND football is a religion-at Alabama it's a life." -- Keith Jackson

ND ceased being a football factory and academics became the face of the university. The fanbase has been slow catching on to that reality. We yearn for championships while the university lust after academic recognition and glory in the classroom.
I think the sec would accept any northern team that raised their bottom line. Missouri was not a Confederate State by any definition. But they were assumed to sell more SECCN subscriptions.

It's ND who would never consider it.

Missouri was a border state in the Civil War and remains so in southern thinking. I don't see ND ever getting an offer to join the SEC.

As far as I know with the ACC contract, we can only join the ACC as a full-time football school since we are tied in with the ACC until 2037. I'm not sure if there is any huge buyout clause but if we join a conference full-time anytime soon, it would be the ACC.

Be bold !! Be badass !!
Maybe we can also add the Patriots, Saints, Rams, and Chiefs to our schedule.

As far as I know with the ACC contract, we can only join the ACC as a full-time football school since we are tied in with the ACC until 2037. I'm not sure if there is any huge buyout clause but if we join a conference full-time anytime soon, it would be the ACC.

"I'm not sure if there is any huge buyout clause but if we join a conference full-time anytime soon, it would be the ACC"

I think I read that there is upwards of $35 million for a buyout if ND joins a conference other than the ACC prior to 2037.

ND’s SOS will be a short run issue. USC has been the chief gem on the schedule for, well forever.
But SC is in a deep downward spiral that will last for years. The university overall is in a state of turmoil, the BOT’s is a cage fight, there is no President, and in this the football program is just not a priority, (and why Clay Helton is still getting a paycheck), there are important problems.

So it is of major importance ND does not falter in the other big games or rivalry games regardless of any conference affiliations.

Zero sympathy for USC. You reap what you sow. I have a laundry list of things I am personally apathetic about ( reaching across the aisle, R&R HOF, rap music, the shamrock series, Yankees/Red Sox). USC is up there.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT