ADVERTISEMENT

The energy in the Clemson game was simply amazing.

HDK

I've posted how many times?
Sep 13, 2009
I know this has been touched on in many other threads, but I was really blown away by the energy the team showed.. They came out pumped up and got a huge boost on the punt block and TD. That's not that surprising, but much of the rest of the half was a stalemate, and you would expect that energy to evaporate. When we missed that field goal, I thought, "here we go," but the team refused to get down, and followed that setback with a time-consuming drive to extend the lead into the locker room.

But wait! There's more! I loved the response at halftime to those cheap shots by Clemson linemen and the way the team came out in the second half and just kept it up at such a high level, at first simply refusing to let Clemson make a game of it, and then putting them away down the stretch.

My favorite part of the game was the tackling. Clemson loves those little quick outs, and it seemed like on almost every single one we had three or four defenders converging on the receiver. We also did a great job containing their running backs and put a lot of pressure on their QB, whose name I'll never get right.

It's not like we never played with energy under Kelly -- the last home game against Michigan in 2018 was pretty intense, as were a couple of the USC games — but he favored a businesslike approach that seemed to focus more on reducing errors and playing to the odds. Saturday, though, was rocking. It really reminded me of what it used to be like in Notre Dame Stadium.

Last edited:
It just was different out of the gate. Maybe it was the posters saying Clemson took over the stadium. Maybe it was the first good night game in years with Covid.

The tunnel. The lights. The beautiful new stadium. The weather. The music.

It was just different and you felt it the moment NBC started coverage.

That was big time football. That was a home crowd that is the 12th man. That was what it should be like when you come to our house.

Just awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT