ADVERTISEMENT

The case for why the rankings are flawed

You didn't say it was the coaches

You said some people don't think the rankings are flawed. I said name them. You said the ranking members.

So are you saying the coaches don't think the rankings are flawed but the aP members do
NO, That’s your moronic conclusion !

BYU is ranked # 16 and ND isn’t ranked in the top 25, yet the professional oddsmakers had ND favored by 9.5 points.

That’s not an uncommon occurrence.

In theory # 16 should be heavily favored against a team ranked outside of the top 25.

This is why a won/loss record should NOT be the determining criterion.

The Las Vegas oddsmakers should rank the teams, not a committee of unqualified panelists, coaches or the media.
What were the Vegas odds on ND v Marshall?

The rankings are compleye garbage until week 6.

Before someone says it's technically week 6....

It's the perception bullshit leading to week 6.

Preseason rankings give a complete superficial perception. It's not the one or two or three teams but it's the next 22 teams or outliers that begin unranked and need huge luck to make a post season...

But hey...it's all aboit selling copy and nothing more.

The rankings are compleye garbage until week 6.

Before someone says it's technically week 6....

It's the perception bullshit leading to week 6.

Preseason rankings give a complete superficial perception. It's not the one or two or three teams but it's the next 22 teams or outliers that begin unranked and need huge luck to make a post season...

But hey...it's all aboit selling copy and nothing more.
Where you rank preseason means nothing to make the playoff. You don't need luck. That's nonsense

If you're in the p5 and go undefeated you are making the playoff. Where you start means nothing. Go undefeated and you are in. If you lose you don't control your own destiny. That's on you

Never has a p5 team gone undefeated and been left out of the cfp

Rankings shouldn't even go beyond 10. And hey I guess 12 now since that will be the playoff field soon.

I mean who really freaking cares who the 21st "best" team in college football is. And so the hell what if BYU was "overrated" and ND is (maybe) "underrated." Oh no.....we're not ranked #19. What a travesty. Yet another sign of how far the team has fallen.

It serves no purpose beyond exactly what this thread is.......something to talk about.

Rankings shouldn't even go beyond 10. And hey I guess 12 now since that will be the playoff field soon.

I mean who really freaking cares who the 21st "best" team in college football is. And so the hell what if BYU was "overrated" and ND is (maybe) "underrated." Oh no.....we're not ranked #19. What a travesty. Yet another sign of how far the team has fallen.

It serves no purpose beyond exactly what this thread is.......something to talk about.
Ouch!

Where you rank preseason means nothing to make the playoff. You don't need luck. That's nonsense

If you're in the p5 and go undefeated you are making the playoff. Where you start means nothing. Go undefeated and you are in. If you lose you don't control your own destiny. That's on you

Never has a p5 team gone undefeated and been left out of the cfp

Some day you will act mature longer than 2 consecutive posts.

Never in the history of the Playoffs have 4 participants been undefeated. Not ever once.
Thus it becomes a beauty pageant and flavor of the month club.

And this P5 horseshit you speak of is exactly that.

There are many upon many non P5 schools that not only play with but defeat that pretty P5 team you're so enamored with.

I know you don't understand this little detail but the CFB playoff isn't called the P5 playoff.
Hence a non P5 school if starting unranked and off any pre-season radar needs extreme luck even if running the table to get in the playoff.

Thankfully this horseshit will be changing. It won't be completely eliminated but with 12 teams in the CFB playoff the odds improve of getting the correct teams.
They'll still mess it up as #13 will be pissed but with 8 more participants than now a lot of this garbage would, and should, go away

Some day you will act mature longer than 2 consecutive posts.

Never in the history of the Playoffs have 4 participants been undefeated. Not ever once.
Thus it becomes a beauty pageant and flavor of the month club.

And this P5 horseshit you speak of is exactly that.

There are many upon many non P5 schools that not only play with but defeat that pretty P5 team you're so enamored with.

I know you don't understand this little detail but the CFB playoff isn't called the P5 playoff.
Hence a non P5 school if starting unranked and off any pre-season radar needs extreme luck even if running the table to get in the playoff.

Thankfully this horseshit will be changing. It won't be completely eliminated but with 12 teams in the CFB playoff the odds improve of getting the correct teams.
They'll still mess it up as #13 will be pissed but with 8 more participants than now a lot of this garbage would, and should, go away
So you control your own destiny. If you lose, you allow others to control your fate. Don't lose.

Non p5 teams minus Notre Dame are irrelevant and always will be. They don't have the talent nor play the schedule deserving of making the playoff

Get off your soapbox. Aww the poor 13th ranked team who has 3 or 4 losses. I feel so bad for them getting left out.

Embarassing. Such a soft argument. Keep crying

Not really. If I am reading the OP correctly he said the rankings are flawed (they are) and Vegas should be the rankings... my point, Vegas can be flawed too.
Agreed, but Vegas is more reliable and more accurate than any other source !

I believe that the rankings have an influence when it comes to recruiting.

Now Tennessee, ranked # 1, against Georgia, ranked # 3, is an 8 point underdog !

The committee doesn’t have a clue.

Let Vegas do the rankings

The committee had Tennessee # 1, Vegas had Georgia favored by 9.

Georgia wins by 14

The rankings are flawed because amateurs determine the rankings instead of the pros.

It wasn’t even close.

But the committee determined that Tennessee was better than Georgia !

How did that work out for the committee ?

I don't think a 2 loss team should get in. Ever. I don't care if you are in the SEC. You had 2 losses.

The committee had Tennessee # 1, Vegas had Georgia favored by 9.

Georgia wins by 14

The rankings are flawed because amateurs determine the rankings instead of the pros.

It wasn’t even close.

But the committee determined that Tennessee was better than Georgia !

How did that work out for the committee ?
Yea and OSU was favored by -37.5 against Northwestern, and only win by 14.

It works both ways!!

Yea and OSU was favored by -37.5 against Northwestern, and only win by 14.

It works both ways!!
No, it doesn‘t, OSU was favored, ranked higher and won.

Georgia was ranked lower and won, big difference !

Good thing we actually play the games on the field

Vegas really nailed the ND game!

Good thing we actually play the games on the field

Vegas really nailed the ND game!
Like you had a clue as to the outcome !

like you would have bet on ND without points

You’re a fraud !

Like you had a clue as to the outcome !

like you would have bet on ND without points

You’re a fraud !
To be fair, #16 Illinois was favored by 17 over MSU and got absolutely destroyed.

It's what makes college football great. every week there seems to be a few upsets.

But Vegas is the experts!

Good call by them

Illinois, good call Vegas

Alabama, good call Vegas
A few misses that you cherry picked, now look at the preponderance of accurate calls.

Only a total moron would go against Vegas, but with you that’s no surprise!

You know nothing about football

To be fair, #16 Illinois was favored by 17 over MSU and got absolutely destroyed.

It's what makes college football great. every week there seems to be a few upsets.
So I’ll tell you what I’ll do, I’ll bet every Division I game taking the team that Vegas favors, and you and the moron Golson5 will take the underdog with NO points given.

Just let me know how much you want to bet on each game !

Golson5’s failure to accept my offer will prove what a fraud he is !

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ
A few misses that you cherry picked, now look at the preponderance of accurate calls.

Only a total moron would go against Vegas, but with you that’s no surprise!

You know nothing about football
Like the Marshall and Stanford games?

So I’ll tell you what I’ll do, I’ll bet every Division I game taking the team that Vegas favors, and you and the moron Golson5 will take the underdog with NO points given.

I would take who I think is going to win regardless of Vegas. Why would I go by what Vegas says

I would take who I think is going to win regardless of Vegas. Why would I go by what Vegas says
Okay, so tomorrow you pick the line for all of the games on November 19th and then on November 18th I’ll pick the teams I (Vegas) picks, $ 100 per game.

Put up or shut up !

I'm not saying Vegas is wrong all the time. They are right most times where they set the line, but they are wrong at times.

I'm not saying Vegas is wrong all the time. They are right most times where they set the line, but they are wrong at times.
Yes. They arent the end all be all.

And 90% of the games are easy to pick the outright winner in cfb.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Yes. They arent the end all be all.

And 90% of the games are easy to pick the outright winner in cfb.
Nice try in adding the “qualifier” “outright winner”

How about picking the margin of victory ? The points ?

Since it’s so easy to pick the winner you should have no problem accepting my offer, so what do you say, do we have a bet ?

Nice try in adding the “qualifier” “outright winner”

How about picking the margin of victory ? The points ?

Since it’s so easy to pick the winner you should have no problem accepting my offer, so what do you say, do we have a bet ?
I never said 90% against the spread. I said 90% of the games its easy to pick the winner

Show me where it says otherwise

I'll take USC friday outright aginst USC. So will Vegas. Wow that was hard. 90% of the cfb games are easy to pick thw winner

I never said 90% against the spread. I said 90% of the games its easy to pick the winner

Show me where it says otherwise

I'll take USC friday outright aginst USC. So will Vegas. Wow that was hard. 90% of the cfb games are easy to pick thw winner
If it’s so easy to pick the winner, without the points, then you should have no problem with accepting my offer.

You pick the winners 2 weeks in advance, and on the Friday before the games I’ll pick the teams that I think will win.

Do we have a bet ?

If it’s so easy to pick the winner, without the points, then you should have no problem with accepting my offer.

You pick the winners 2 weeks in advance, and on the Friday before the games I’ll pick the teams that I think will win.

Do we have a bet ?
Why would I pick the teams 2 weeks in advance?

What if their qb gets hurt this weekend?

Only you would be that dumb.

How about you pick them now and Ill pick them on the friday before the games.

Do we have a bet?

Power rankings (Vegas line rankings) are different from Playoff Rankings.

Texas might end the year a top four team based on talent, but they aren't going to make the top four playoff teams with three losses. OP needs to come to understand this basic concept.

ADVERTISEMENT