ADVERTISEMENT

The 10 Most Important Uncommitted ND Recruits in 2018

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
I'm going to put them in order from most important, IMO, to least. Note that I won't include anyone that I don't think ND has a legitimate shot at landing.

1. Amon-Ra St. Brown (WR)
Composite Ranking: 0.9895
Best Offers: Every Team With A Pulse

Things seem to be trending away from Notre Dame due to distance from home and Amon-Ra wanting to go on his adventure. It's a 3 horse race, with USC likely in the lead, Stanford running second and ND in third, but until St. Brown chooses somebody else and signs an LOI, he will remain the top target on ND's board. Best WR in the nation, IMO, absolute game changer. Not much more needs to be said.

2. Nick Petit-Frere (OT)
Composite Ranking: 0.9664
Best Offers: Every Team with A Pulse

In a class low on top end offensive line talent, landing Petit Frere would be massive for Harry Hiestand and Notre Dame. As a player he's nearly identical to Ronnie Stanley and he's a surefire future left tackle with all the athleticism you could ever ask for. Sources around Notre Dame and Alabama seem to think that this will turn out to be a two team race between the Irish and Crimson Tide, with Florida potentially running third. If Mike McGlinchey becomes Hiestand's third straight LT to be a 1st round draft pick, it's going to be hard for Petit-Frere to turn down.

3. Jayson Oweh (WDE)
Composite Ranking: 0.9146
Best Offers: Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Miami, Georgia, Virginia Tech

If #3 sound high to you, let me explain. First of all, Oweh has played ONE year of football and at 6'5, 236lbs, coaches are drooling about the potential of the kid who runs in the 4.5's and broad jumps nearly 11 feet. This is the type of athletic edge pass rusher (Daelin Hayes) that Notre Dame always struggles to land and develop. The drop end is very important in Mike Elko's system. Ohio State, Notre Dame and Penn State (in that order) are Oweh's 3 finalists and he'll visit each again in July before making a decision prior to his senior season. Ohio State already has two stud defensive ends committed in their class, where as Notre Dame has on Justin Ademilola at this point. Adding Oweh would be a huge. The kid was unranked months ago and now has a .91+ composite. Expect that to continue to soar after his senior season.

4. Shayne Simon (Rover)
Composite Ranking 0.9326
Best Offers: Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Tennessee, UCLA

ND is only truly pursuing one Rover candidate in the 2018 class and that is Simon. at 6'3, 220lbs you would struggle to create a better rover body type in a lab. Simon is exactly what Mike Elko is looking for and could be ready to play really early in his career. This is a 3 team race with Notre Dame battling Michigan (the once perceived leader) and UCLA. Simon seems to be close to winding his recruitment down and most feel that ND has a sizeable lead. We'll soon see if that's the case. Mike Elko and Clark Lea have done a great job recruiting that Ademilola's teammate.

5. Kevin Austin Jr (WR)
Composite Ranking: 0.9353
Best Offers: Notre Dame, Florida State, Miami, Clemson, Michigan, USC, Florida, Ohio State

Undeniably one of the best wide receivers as the class, Austin performed extremely well The Opening, especially in 7 on 7 play. He's not a burner off the line of scrimmage and he's more 6'2 than the 6'3-6'4 he's been listed at, but he's physically very mature and has a huge catch radius. He's sneaky fast and chews up a lot of ground, much like Michael Floyd did. Stylistically he reminds me of a more focused DaVaris Daniels and I expect his stock to continue to rise as new rankings come out. His offer list is one of the very best in the nation and he has a top 4 of Notre Dame, Duke, Tennessee and Miami, with most people believing ND is way out front and could land a commitment any time now. After losing Braden Lenzy, and Amon-Ra St. Brown seeming unlikely at this point, Austin Jr is ND's best chance at a top wide receiver.

6. Donte Burton (CB)
Composite Ranking: 0.8529
Best Offers: Notre Dame, Georgia, Oregon, Nebraska, Virginia Tech, Wisconsin, Louisville

You might think "Really, Donte Burton?"... ND needs corners in the worst way and in the best CB class I've seen in year, ND has somehow managed to not attract any of the elite guys, a year after taking ZERO corners. Let's call a spade, a spade. ND has shit the bed in CB recruiting and Todd Lyght needs to do better, or find a new job. It's that simple. Ok, back on topic. While Burton may not be Anthony Cook, or Asante Samuel Jr, he's no slouch by any stretch of the imagination. Each year there are good quality CB's and WR's with national offer lists just like Burton's and quality film, who manage to be ranked lower than they should be. I think Burton is a better player than is composite ranking and ND's best shot at a quality CB. He recently decomitted from North Carolina and will be visiting ND in July. He's a good friend of Derrick Allen and a fan of Todd Lyght's background. I really think ND need to press this kid and try to secure a commitment. He reminds me a great deal of Julian Love, who had quality offers throughout the process, but had people knocking his door down come January and February, after they saw his senior film.

7. Will Craig (OT)
Composite Ranking: 0.9065
Best Offers: Notre Dame, Oregon, UCLA, Washington, Nebraska

After Petit-Frere and the almost unbelievably low chance of landing Jamaree Salyer, Will Craig may be ND's best chance at top end offensive line commit in the 2018 class. He certainly needs time to develop and add weight but Craig can play either right tackle or either guard spot and we know Hiestand loves position flexibility. This recruitment reminds me a lot of Aaron Banks last year. Like Banks, Craig is a Californian who didn't talk to the media a ton and whose curiosity regarding Notre Dame led to him taking an official visit, which turned out to be a home run for the Irish. Craig was nearing the end of recruitment, with Washington and UCLA leading for his services, but the Notre Dame offer has caused him to change his mind and rethink the process. He'll now take a couple official visits and ND has a chance to impress. With the underclassmen transfers Notre Dame faced this off season, it's vitally important they land at least 2 more lineman in this class. Craig would be a huge coup considering he wasn't even on the radar until a couple of months ago.

8. Jack Lamb (LB/WDE)
Composite Ranking: 0.9205
Best Offers: Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Oklahoma, Washington, Penn State

I'm a huge Cam McGrone fan. I think he's going to be an exceptional outside linebacker at the next level, but slowly I've moved into Jack Lamb's camp in terms of the final linebacker ND needs for its class with Bo Bauer and Ovie Oghoufo already committed and Shayne Simon (Rover) seeming likely. Lamb balled out at the Opening and his foot speed (especially in coverage) surprised a lot of people. What's most important about Lamb is that he provides you Flexibility. at 6'3.5, 224lbs he has a really nice frame and he's going to fill out. He could either play Mike Linebacker, Buck Linebacker or Drop End in ND's system, depending on need and how much he fills out. He actually reminds me a great deal of Dan Fox when he was coming out of high school. Notre Dame developed Dan into a 6'3, 250lb ILB. I don't think Jack will need to get that big in this Elko's system, but he has the frame to do so if he had to. That's important. ND has a lot of short linebackers and while there is nothing wrong with that, they need some length and coverage skill as well. Lamb has both. It's a tight battle between ND and UCLA with some thinking the Bruins have the edge due to their proximity to home, but Elko, Lea and Polian are recruiting the hell out of Lamb and have closed the gap substantially. Another ND visit, possibly for an official, could be enough to take the lead.

9. Joseph Ossai (WDE)
Composite Ranking: 0.9144
Best Offers: Notre Dame, Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma, Stanford

This is maybe the most interesting recruitment that ND is connected to in the 2018 cycle. Ossai recently named a top 3 of Texas A&M, Texas and Notre Dame, with the Aggies out front. While there is no doubt that Jayson Oweh is Notre Dame's top Drop End target, Ossai isn't far behind him. It will take a lot for him to leave the state of Texas but with Kevin Sumlin clearly on the hot seat there is no telling if the coaching staff in College Station will be around come February. Ossai also comes from a devoutly Catholic family and the the spiritual component of Notre Dame is really appealing for he and his family. He has vowed to visit Notre Dame and give them a shot and I imagine that will happen soon, pending Oweh's decision. The staff really needs a WDE this cycle and they have limited options but the options they do have are exceptional players. Ossai can bend the edge as well as any player I've seen in this class and at 6'4, 220lbs he's only going to get better as he gets stronger and harder to handle. I wouldn't hold your breath on this one for a variety of reasons but I'm keeping Ossai in my top 10 until either Oweh commits (that would be awesome) or Ossai visits, after which we'll have a better read on where ND stands.

10. Thomas Booker (SDE)
Composite Ranking: 0.9076
Best Offers: Notre Dame, Stanford, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State

Keeping with the theme of highly rated defensive lineman that Notre Dame really needs to land, Booker looked like a lock for Notre Dame mere weeks ago... Then Stanford offered. It's now a 2 team race and all the momentum that seemed to be trending ND's way seems to have been neutralized I suspect that it's deadly close at this point. ND has lost almost all of these close battles to Stanford recently and I so hope to be wrong on this one but my gut is telling me it's going to happen again here. I love everything about Booker. He's the idea academic fit for Notre Dame and he's mature beyond his years. Physically speaking, he's a grown ass man. At 6'3, 280+lbs he could compete at SDE walking in the door or could develop into a 3-tech with a red shirt year. He reminds me a lot Isaac Rochell, but you know Stanford is telling him that he'll be the next Solomon Thomas and I don't blame them. Booker has a nearly identical frame to Thomas and if developed properly, I think he has similar upside. Why do I only have Booker as the 10th most important recruit in this class? I think he plays the same SDE position as Justin Ademilola and I think ND is fairly stocked at that position, where as the pass rushing Drop / WDE is still very much a need. I'd love to add Booker as a "swing" candidate between SDE and 3-Tech and most importantly, keep him away from Stanford so that we don't have to play him every year.

There you have it folks. That's my realistic top 10 board as of right now. I'm sure 2-3 months from now it will be different but that's the nature of recruiting.

I would ask what defines "most important" since I don't consider any WR more important in this class than other positions?

Basically if we don't get any single player at WR, OL or TE this class is still fine. We have plenty at that position in both depth & other recruits.

Also, you have Burton above Johnson at CB? They probably both need to be on the list since CB is critical in this class?

I would ask what defines "most important" since I don't consider any WR more important in this class than other positions?

Basically if we don't get any single player at WR, OL or TE this class is still fine. We have plenty at that position in both depth & other recruits.

Also, you have Burton above Johnson at CB? They probably both need to be on the list since CB is critical in this class?

"Most important" to me is a combination of team needs and best overall talents available. The 10 I mentioned are on my list because I think they are either game changing talents, or the best players on ND's board at positions of need... An ideal recruit would fit both categories, but often they fit only one of the two. Then it becomes a matter of opinion.

As for Donte Burton, yes I have him ranked above Donald Johnson. DJ's next best offer is Iowa, then a slew of "meh" big 10 teams. Burton is a Georgia kid, with a national offer list, who faces big time receiver talent. DJ plays in a good league down there in Indy as well, but I think he's just an ok prospect. Plays nearly no press man coverage on his film and plays way off the ball (by coverage DESIGN I'm sure). In fact, I also have Kyler Gordon out of Washington above Johnson as well. He's expected to make a visit to ND on an official. Obviously Houston Griffith is still out there in some capacity as well.

As for wide receivers, Amon-Ra St. Brown and Kevin Austin are substantial roster upgrades. I'd never turn either down.

Offensive line isn't as set as you make it sound. ND could lose as many as 4 starters to the NFL at year's end, but even if it's only two (Nelson and McGlinchey) and Mustipher and Bars are back, the transfers of Hoge and Boudreaux mean that ND loses a guaranteed 5 OL in 2017 (Bivin is gone at the conclusion of 2017 as well), with a possibility of up to 7. Byrne has never played a down and is not the type we'd be happy to have starting on a full time basis. Ruhland has battled injuries and is pretty small relative to the other guys... Heading into 2018 ND may only have 8-9 returning OL. 3 is a must! 4 would still leave you with just enough. When you factor in that ND is specifically short on tackles, Petit-Frere is vital and Craig would be the next guy up should Nick choose Florida or Alabama.

So WR and OL make the list because ND is in on some targets they can't possibly pass up. The other 6 players are defensive players at positions of need. As much as I would like to put 2-3 more corners on the list, ND just isn't in on any that I would take above the players I listed at other positions.

The CB drought is so alarming that I am tempted to appoint Polian as the designated CB recruiter for this and next year until Lyght learns how to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TXNDFan88

agree.

Of those named tho, the best chance is actually with the WR.
As of now, of the others none look better than 50/50 to be Irish.
Defense: DE and CB are the important needs.

Winning the UGA game will be the equivalent of an extra home visit for targets. Losing a close game will have minimal impact; a blowout loss would really cost in terms of recruiting credibility.

The offensive line after this season is not as set .We are losing top NFL picks in McGlinchey and Nelson . They are not easily replaced. Every college has 300 pound linemen ,but how good are they . We will find out in 2018 Kraemer , Mustipher and others will continue our excellence ?

The offensive line after this season is not as set .We are losing top NFL picks in McGlinchey and Nelson . They are not easily replaced. Every college has 300 pound linemen ,but how good are they . We will find out in 2018 Kraemer , Mustipher and others will continue our excellence ?

Just as we lost both Nick & Zack Martin, Chris Watt, Stanley, etc...
We recruited/developed McGlinchey, Nelson, Bars, Mustipher...
Then we recruited Kraemer, Eichenberg, Lugg, Hainsey, Rhuland, Byrne...

With HH recruiting & developing top Olineman each year I wouldn't be worried about it.

McGlinchey & Nelson coming back this year is actually a bonus because they were high draft picks last year if they wanted.

OL/TE is the least of ND's worries.

Reactions: cheta41
Just as we lost both Nick & Zack Martin, Chris Watt, Stanley, etc...
We recruited/developed McGlinchey, Nelson, Bars, Mustipher...
Then we recruited Kraemer, Eichenberg, Lugg, Hainsey, Rhuland, Byrne...

With HH recruiting & developing top Olineman each year I wouldn't be worried about it.

McGlinchey & Nelson coming back this year is actually a bonus because they were high draft picks last year if they wanted.

OL/TE is the least of ND's worries.

It's not development that is the issue. I'm with you 100% that in terms of development, ND is spoiled to have Harry. I have no doubt that the lineman currently in South Bend will be excellent under Harry.

The issue is numbers. All major college football programs carry between 13-16 offensive lineman on their roster, at various stages of their development.

At the conclusion of 2017 ND is losing Mike McGlinchey, Quenton Nelson and Hunter Bivin. They also unexpectedly lost Parker Boudreaux and Tristen Hoge. So at the very minimum ND is losing 5 players from it's roster. Beyond that, either or both Sam Mustipher and Alex Bars could leave for the draft with a big season.

Let's say Bars and Mustipher return and ND loses 5 total lineman. That means they return...

Alex Bars (5th)
Sam Mustipher (5th)
Jimmy Byrne (5th)
Trevor Ruhland (SR)
Liam Eichenberg (JR)
Tommy Kraemer (JR)
Robert Hainsey (Soph)
Aaron Banks (Soph)
Josh Lugg (Soph)
Dillan Gibbons (Soph)
Cole Mabry (FR)
John Dirksen (FR)

In a perfect scenario, where both Bars and Mustipher use their 5th years, Byrne is invited back for his 5th year and no injuries or transfers happen, ND is left with only 12 offensive lineman post NSD in February. 12 is not a healthy number for offensive lineman, especially when the number could conceivably be less than 10 if a few things didn't go ND's way.

ND needs three offensive lineman in the 2018 class at the very minimum and four would be a much more ideal number. More importantly, they need a true tackle in this class. They only took 1 true tackle I'm 2016 (Eichenberg) and 17 (Lugg). That's fine, but you have to get one evey class so you d9n't have to count on swing guys like Kraemer, Banks and Hainsey to play out of position.

The CB recruiting is a reflection of the 2016 class....There were a total of 7 3rd level players.....that is a lot of for any class and they are still very young take it that many has thrown off the balance of 2-4 every year. Kids see that many young players on the roster and it starts to cause playing time concerns

Great list IIO. I'll fly up to your area and buy you dinner and drinks of your choice if we land all ten, which of course you're not suggesting. Realistically, I think we have a very good chance of landing Petite-Frere, Simon, Austin and Lamb...which would be great additions to this class. As others have stated, we are desperate for a couple quality DB's. Right now it looks like Burton and McKenzie are our best chances and both are visiting this month. I would take both Oweh and Ossai, although it's more likely we don't get either. I love Oweh's measurables and upside potential, but wouldn't be surprised if he grows into a SDE; and Ossai is perfect for our drop WDE position. I'd be thrilled with either, and you can add Ojulari to this as well.

Great list IIO. I'll fly up to your area and buy you dinner and drinks of your choice if we land all ten, which of course you're not suggesting. Realistically, I think we have a very good chance of landing Petite-Frere, Simon, Austin and Lamb...which would be great additions to this class. As others have stated, we are desperate for a couple quality DB's. Right now it looks like Burton and McKenzie are our best chances and both are visiting this month. I would take both Oweh and Ossai, although it's more likely we don't get either. I love Oweh's measurables and upside potential, but wouldn't be surprised if he grows into a SDE; and Ossai is perfect for our drop WDE position. I'd be thrilled with either, and you can add Ojulari to this as well.

As far as our "best chances" at CB I believe Johnson is supposed to announce before the season & we are his leader with only Iowa in contention?
If we lock him up & add Burton & McKenzie (both probably won't announce until fall) we will have a decent haul?

As far as our "best chances" at CB I believe Johnson is supposed to announce before the season & we are his leader with only Iowa in contention?
If we lock him up & add Burton & McKenzie (both probably won't announce until fall) we will have a decent haul?

I've read recently that ND trails Iowa in that one. ND jumped in way late and Iowa has made Johnson a priority ad he has a connection to their staff. Not saying it can't be overcome, but much like Russ Yeast, last year (that was wayyyy too late) you can't always get in late on in state prospects and expect the to jump all over your offer... Unless you're a shool like Alabama who wins all the time. Then they tend to get over it simply to be part of a team that they know will play for a title. Cam McGrone is another guy. ND waited to see what he looked like post injury (don't blame them on that one) and now it's likely he heads to Michigan. This is an exceptional linebacker, with rave reviews from the Opening, from down the road in Indy. You can argue theater ND got Oghoufo out of Michigan so if they get McGrone it's pretty much a trade off, but the point is getting ahead, not remaining neutral.

I want to see ND take 3 corners in this class. Two of Burton, Johnson, Gordon, Plummer, Anusiem and Wilkins, then hope you win a lot of games and chase Griffith, Jamison, Cook and Stuart to NSD and hope to pull off an upset.

I've read recently that ND trails Iowa in that one. ND jumped in way late and Iowa has made Johnson a priority ad he has a connection to their staff. Not saying it can't be overcome, but much like Russ Yeast, last year (that was wayyyy too late) you can't always get in late on in state prospects and expect the to jump all over your offer... Unless you're a shool like Alabama who wins all the time. Then they tend to get over it simply to be part of a team that they know will play for a title. Cam McGrone is another guy. ND waited to see what he looked like post injury (don't blame them on that one) and now it's likely he heads to Michigan. This is an exceptional linebacker, with rave reviews from the Opening, from down the road in Indy. You can argue theater ND got Oghoufo out of Michigan so if they get McGrone it's pretty much a trade off, but the point is getting ahead, not remaining neutral.

I want to see ND take 3 corners in this class. Two of Burton, Johnson, Gordon, Plummer, Anusiem and Wilkins, then hope you win a lot of games and chase Griffith, Jamison, Cook and Stuart to NSD and hope to pull off an upset.

Did you see ND offered Tariq Bracy?

He's tough to read?

His composite is 56th athlete, like 600 hundred overall. But that is because a lot of people rate him at RB. Scout has him 3 Stars and 34th RB. Rivals has nothing on him.

247 has him at athlete (CB) & ranked top 300 (278) nationally & 16th athlete.
Says ND offered him at CB & he is rated a .90 at CB & a 4 Star.

Did you see ND offered Tariq Bracy?

He's tough to read?

His composite is 56th athlete, like 600 hundred overall. But that is because a lot of people rate him at RB. Scout has him 3 Stars and 34th RB. Rivals has nothing on him.

247 has him at athlete (CB) & ranked top 300 (278) nationally & 16th athlete.
Says ND offered him at CB & he is rated a .90 at CB & a 4 Star.

Absolutely love Tariq Bracy. Dynamic athlete and Jack of all trades who can do it all. Reminds me of a poor man's Warrick Dunn in a lot of ways. I just haven't seen enough interest in ND on his part past his initial comments to add him to my list. I'm sure Polian's is doing his thing though so maybe it will heat up... I think he's incredibly undervalued right now.

Absolutely agree that as a CB he could have much more upside than at RB. He could be a Kei Russell type signee, who flips to defense. He may be a bit short for my liking though. Heard he's more 5'10.5 than the 6'0 he's often listed at.

Absolutely love Tariq Bracy. Dynamic athlete and Jack of all trades who can do it all. Reminds me of a poor man's Warrick Dunn in a lot of ways. I just haven't seen enough interest in ND on his part past his initial comments to add him to my list. I'm sure Polian's is doing his thing though so maybe it will heat up... I think he's incredibly undervalued right now.

Absolutely agree that as a CB he could have much more upside than at RB. He could be a Kei Russell type signee, who flips to defense. He may be a bit short for my liking though. Heard he's more 5'10.5 than the 6'0 he's often listed at.

He got his first CB today & it's to ND, so that can't be bad, right?

IrishOntario,
Thanks. Helluva post. Even if you're wrong, it was interesting

What CB's are we in on? What CB's do we have a chance with? how many CB's will we take and will some be plan B?

What CB's are we in on? What CB's do we have a chance with? how many CB's will we take and will some be plan B?

That's a loaded question.

One thing Ive learned from talking to the recruiting insiders on BG is that the coaches make their own evaluations & build their own boards long before rankings come out. They really don't care what other services rank a guy they like.

So ND might have guys on their board that they have high, but we see as 3 Stars online.

To answer your question specifically, we have a good chance with Burton, Plummer, Wilkins. A chance with Johnson & Gordon. And a very small chance with Griffith. And now they are getting in with Bracy too.

They will take 2-3.
I'm not sure they consider plan B. If they don't like someone they won't offer?

Burton moved his visit up. Coming this week.

St. Brown might be the best player on that list but no way is he the most important. Both DEs, Simon and Petit-Frere are more important.

Mike Floyd or Ronnie Stanley? Golden Tate or Sheldon Day? I'm a guy who will take a 4 star Guy in the trenches over a more highly rated receiver any day.

Great post though, besides the Canadian non sense, you may be single handedly keeping this board readable!

Reactions: irishsportsfan
St. Brown might be the best player on that list but no way is he the most important. Both DEs, Simon and Petit-Frere are more important.

Mike Floyd or Ronnie Stanley? Golden Tate or Sheldon Day? I'm a guy who will take a 4 star Guy in the trenches over a more highly rated receiver any day.

Great post though, besides the Canadian non sense, you may be single handedly keeping this board readable!

Golden Tate... Every time. Sheldon was solid. Golden was unstoppable! If it Tate vs Tuitt, that then give me Stephon. ND doesn't have that type of DL on their board this year, where as Amon-Ra is Golden on crack.

Reactions: irishsportsfan
Golden Tate... Every time. Sheldon was solid. Golden was unstoppable! If it Tate vs Tuitt, that then give me Stephon. ND doesn't have that type of DL on their board this year, where as Amon-Ra is Golden on crack.

What was the quote? "Coach, gimmie the ball, it doesn't matter what they do, they can't stop me!" - Golden Tate vs MSU I believe?

Late with my reply, but as IIO indicated, Iowa is now a strong lean for Johnson. Would love us to make a hard push and reverse this. Same with Griffith who is now almost committed to Nebraska. Need to create some momentum in the CB area, and hope Burton gets us rolling.

enjoyed reading your list, thanks. A few comments to add: you might add Michigan to those pursuing St. Brown as he is reciprocating interest. As for Simon, we have heard it's a 2 horse race between UM and OSU, not the 3 horse race you suggest - time will tell. And as for Booker, I have rarely heard his name mentioned with Michigan.

enjoyed reading your list, thanks. A few comments to add: you might add Michigan to those pursuing St. Brown as he is reciprocating interest. As for Simon, we have heard it's a 2 horse race between UM and OSU, not the 3 horse race you suggest - time will tell. And as for Booker, I have rarely heard his name mentioned with Michigan.

Simon is an ND, Michigan, UCLA battle. Most think it's down to ND vs Michigan. OSU is a distant 4th in that recruitment at this point.

Late with my reply, but as IIO indicated, Iowa is now a strong lean for Johnson. Would love us to make a hard push and reverse this. Same with Griffith who is now almost committed to Nebraska. Need to create some momentum in the CB area, and hope Burton gets us rolling.

Yeah, as of now he is trending towards Iowa.

Good news is that Burton is coming to SB this week & looks like we might get a verbal. Supposedly he is graded much higher than Johnson though (& higher then Getvin too).

Add him with Bracy, Plummer, Wilkins & I will be happy.

Huh?

Simon as a two horse race between UM & OSU?

No. He is heavy ND lean. UM next. OSU not in current picture.

Sam Webb is one of those closest to UM recruiting. Webb says he believes UM is the favorite for Simon but there has been a lot of recent buzz about OSU (16:00 mark). You can go to wtka.com and listen to the July 5 "Recruiting Roundup Overtime 070517" podcast yourself for a thorough discussion on both St. Brown (3:10 mark) and Simon (12:45 mark).

While I know IIO is a frequent poster here, I don't know if he (or NDAFArly) actually speaks to the recruits as does Webb. I'm far more inclined to listen to sources who actually know these kids and speak to their families versus anonymous internet posters. And btw, Momma and Aunt are Michigan alums. Who knows, could be any of the 4. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Sam Webb is one of those closest to UM recruiting. Webb says he believes UM is the favorite for Simon but there has been a lot of recent buzz about OSU (16:00 mark). You can go to wtka.com and listen to the Sept 5 "Recruiting Roundup Overtime 070517" podcast yourself for a thorough discussion on both St. Brown (3:10 mark) and Simon (12:45 mark).

While I know IIO is a frequent poster here, I don't know if he (or NDAFArly) actually speaks to the recruits as does Webb. I'm far more inclined to listen to sources who actually know these kids and speak to their families versus anonymous internet posters. And btw, Momma and Aunt are Michigan alums. Time will tell.

September 5?
Back then he was a UM lead.
A lot has changed since then.

All four of the ND insiders interviewed Simon in the past couple weeks, including at the Opening & since he has been back.

The question was just asked to them last night. We are not allowed to post the conversations since it's the premium side & they frown on that, but I can tell you the summary:

One answered it was his most confident pick of the remaining LBs.

The second answered "All ND right now."

The third said "ND is in the best spot."

The fourth said "Simon is very tight lipped. He is just throwing stuff out there now to throw people off."

Told BGI he was deciding before the season but still planned his OV to ND in the fall for a game.

Is that more precise for you?

Always hard to know what these young men will ultimately decide. I think IIO and NDFarley, like myself, are basing their expectations for Simon to commit to ND in part on interviews like this one at the Opening a week ago. No more unofficial visits, decision before the season begins, and plans to take one OV..to ND, suggests he is a very heavy lean to ND, at least to ND fans.

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/bgi-video-rover-shayne-simon-zeroing-in-on-decision

my mistake. Should have read July 5th not Sept 5th. I have edited the post above. Again, you can listen for yourself.

Telx1: agree with most of what you say except that in same podcast Webb says there is a chance Simon makes it back to UM for another visit, presumably for BBQ at Big House.

Sam Webb is one of those closest to UM recruiting. Webb says he believes UM is the favorite for Simon but there has been a lot of recent buzz about OSU (16:00 mark). You can go to wtka.com and listen to the Sept 5 "Recruiting Roundup Overtime 070517" podcast yourself for a thorough discussion on both St. Brown (3:10 mark) and Simon (12:45 mark).

While I know IIO is a frequent poster here, I don't know if he (or NDAFArly) actually speaks to the recruits as does Webb. I'm far more inclined to listen to sources who actually know these kids and speak to their families versus anonymous internet posters. And btw, Momma and Aunt are Michigan alums. Who knows, could be any of the 4. Time will tell.

My info comes from a variety of ND and national recruiting sources. I use to work for Mike Frank at Irishsportsdaily and I have a number of former colleagues on the national recruiting level as well. Admittedly, I don't talk directly to recruits like I once did, but I still have sources that give me very good info. I no longer have the time I once did to be involved in the process and I'm sure Webb's info is accurate, but as I would expect you to trust your sources, I'm going to go ahead and do the same.

Simon is a Michigan vs ND battle according to my sources.

Booker is a Stanford vs ND battle according to my sources.

St. Brown is not leaving California unless it's to go to Notre Dame, or possibly Ohio State if they make a really hard late push according to my sources.

If I (through my sources) am wrong, I'll be the first to own up to it, as I've done anytime I've been wrong in the past... Recruiting is fluid. Think of it like baseball. You're going to be wrong a lot and still considered quite good at what you do. It's not an easy job being involved in recruiting. It's like collecting intelligence in the military.

I will say this on Shayne Simon. On 247sports their Crystal Ball is 89% Notre Dame, 11% Michigan, 0% Ohio State, 0% UCLA.

Of the 9 predictions,

1 ND prediction is from National Recruiting Director Steve Wiltfong, the best in the business.

1 ND prediction is from Barton Simmons, 247 National Recruiting Analyst.

1 Prediction is from Demetric Warren, director or scouting and recruiting at Varsity preps.

1 ND prediction is from Ace Anbender from MgoBlog.

1 ND prediction is from Alex Gleitman from Bucknuts.

1 ND prediction is from Andrew Ellis from Eleven Warriors.

1 ND prediction is from Tom Loy from Irish247.

1 ND prediction is from Gus Ramos from Illinois247.

So 3 national guys, including the top dog (Wiltfong), 1 Michigan guy, 2 Ohio State guys, 1 Illinois guy and 1 Notre Dame guy... All are saying Notre Dame. The single Crystal Ball for Michigan is from Steve Lorenz, and he put it in on March 23rd of this year. Since then, the other 8 CB's have been for Notre Dame, with Anbender's and Warren's coming in less than a month ago.

Reactions: TXNDFan88
my mistake. Should have read July 5th not Sept 5th. I have edited the post above. Again, you can listen for yourself.

Okay, that date makes more sense.

What Telx said above is pretty telling to most.

He's shutting down his recruitment. Deciding before the season & taking only one OV, to ND, after he already makes his decision.

It seems that ND is going after Simon hard for rover & Lamb on the inside. McGrone is probably gone to UM.
UM is hitting McGrone hard & Simon less.

Telx1: agree with most of what you say except that in same podcast Webb says there is a chance Simon makes it back to UM for another visit, presumably for BBQ at Big House.

Simon himself stated no more visits this summer. Straight from Simon's mouth.

September 5?
Back then he was a UM lead.
A lot has changed since then.

All four of the ND insiders interviewed Simon in the past couple weeks, including at the Opening & since he has been back.

The question was just asked to them last night. We are not allowed to post the conversations since it's the premium side & they frown on that, but I can tell you the summary:

One answered it was his most confident pick of the remaining LBs.

The second answered "All ND right now."

The third said "ND is in the best spot."

The fourth said "Simon is very tight lipped. He is just throwing stuff out there now to throw people off."

Told BGI he was deciding before the season but still planned his OV to ND in the fall for a game.

Is that more precise for you?

H
My info comes from a variety of ND and national recruiting sources. I use to work for Mike Frank at Irishsportsdaily and I have a number of former colleagues on the national recruiting level as well. Admittedly, I don't talk directly to recruits like I once did, but I still have sources that give me very good info. I no longer have the time I once did to be involved in the process and I'm sure Webb's info is accurate, but as I would expect you to trust your sources, I'm going to go ahead and do the same.

Simon is a Michigan vs ND battle according to my sources.

Booker is a Stanford vs ND battle according to my sources.

St. Brown is not leaving California unless it's to go to Notre Dame, or possibly Ohio State if they make a really hard late push according to my sources.

If I (through my sources) am wrong, I'll be the first to own up to it, as I've done anytime I've been wrong in the past... Recruiting is fluid. Think of it like baseball. You're going to be wrong a lot and still considered quite good at what you do. It's not an easy job being involved in recruiting. It's like collecting intelligence in the military.

I will say this on Shayne Simon. On 247sports their Crystal Ball is 89% Notre Dame, 11% Michigan, 0% Ohio State, 0% UCLA.

Of the 9 predictions,

1 ND prediction is from National Recruiting Director Steve Wiltfong, the best in the business.

1 ND prediction is from Barton Simmons, 247 National Recruiting Analyst.

1 Prediction is from Demetric Warren, director or scouting and recruiting at Varsity preps.

1 ND prediction is from Ace Anbender from MgoBlog.

1 ND prediction is from Alex Gleitman from Bucknuts.

1 ND prediction is from Andrew Ellis from Eleven Warriors.

1 ND prediction is from Tom Loy from Irish247.

1 ND prediction is from Gus Ramos from Illinois247.

So 3 national guys, including the top dog (Wiltfong), 1 Michigan guy, 2 Ohio State guys, 1 Illinois guy and 1 Notre Dame guy... All are saying Notre Dame. The single Crystal Ball for Michigan is from Steve Lorenz, and he put it in on March 23rd of this year. Since then, the other 8 CB's have been for Notre Dame, with Anbender's and Warren's coming in less than a month ago.

another good post IIO. I'm not saying you're right or wrong. I am saying that Sam Webb says he believes 1) UM leads and 2) there is strong buzz at present for OSU (as of 7/5). Nowhere in the initial post was OSU even mentioned. I do not underestimate Urban Meyer's ability to recruit nor do I underestimate how difficult it is to read an 18 year old mind.

H

another good post IIO. I'm not saying you're right or wrong. I am saying that Sam Webb says he believes 1) UM leads and 2) there is strong buzz at present for OSU (as of 7/5). Nowhere in the initial post was OSU even mentioned. I do not underestimate Urban Meyer's ability to recruit nor do I underestimate how difficult it is to read an 18 year old mind.

Not blaming you or saying you are wrong, just curious, does Webb say he talks to the players & say they told him? Or does he talk to the players & says he feels a certain way? Or does he say it's just his opinion?

Because those are three really different things?

The way I understand from just now hearing Webb is that "he feels" & "might" which is a lot different from the BGI staff interviewing Simon & Simon himself saying "will not." And then the BGI talking to Simon in person & then saying what they say.

Webb never says he directly talked to Simon & uses the words "might" & "maybe" instead of "will" or "will not."

So to me Webb is just giving an opinion based on others' opinions (which you or I could do like we are now) whereas the others are actually talking to Simon multiple times in person.

ADVERTISEMENT