ADVERTISEMENT

That was a pathetic second half

USC played their asses off. Notre Dame played its B game and still won... I don't understand the outrage.

#3 Georgia scored 17 points today and lost.
#10 Penn State scored 17 points today and won ugly.
#7 Florida scored 28 points today and lost.
#11 Texas scored 27 points today and lost.
#20 Virginia scored 9 points Friday and lost.

It could have been a lot worse man. Close wins happen. You don't always call a perfect game, execute a game plan flawlessly, or make huge plays. See the teams above who also fell victim of that today.

Notre Dame is going to be #8 tomorrow. They'll jump Florida, who lost by 2 touchdowns. If they just keep improving coming out of their bye week they'll keep moving up.

Good review and correct. Happy to get the W. When I watched the SC QB a few weeks ago I had thoughts of him giving the defense trouble and he did. They have something special in that guy. Very disappointed in our defense the second half. They have to be better but we did get the W.

Playing conservative with a lead has been a staple with the Kelly era. They never bury teams like they are supposed to. I don’t know what people think is going to improve or the team will learn from this game.

Playing conservative with a lead has been a staple with the Kelly era. They never bury teams like they are supposed to. Chip Long is a terrible OC. I don’t know what people think is going to improve or the team will learn from this game.

Wow, one of the most delousinal post I've seen lol. You would think we lost by 40 reading your post. USC coming off a bye with arguably better talent then ND.

ND was 21 points better than SC with a competent game plan.

You can stay in your happy place pretending you just whipped the greastest team in football; so who is delusional?

Playing conservative with a lead has been a staple with the Kelly era. They never bury teams like they are supposed to. Chip Long is a terrible OC. I don’t know what people think is going to improve or the team will learn from this game.
I never expected to bury this usc team I’m not sure we should have thought we were supposed to. Now going up 20-3 to start the second half maybe changed things a bit but with their wrs and Crawford hurt in our secondary I just never felt comfortable. I also wonder what would have become of this game if that kickoff return goes for a td. That can’t happen.

You can stay in your happy place pretending you just whipped the greastest team in football; so who is delusional?
Easy there sparky, first ND was a 10.5 point favorite, not 21. Then please link where I said usc was the best team in college football? I'm happy we won, anytime yiu can do that with your top rival it's a good day. Why don't you just go be a Georgia fan. Oh wait they just lost at home to a 2-3 team. Clemson struggled against Wake Forest and didnt cover the spread. We won, take your meds, relax and enjoy the win Geesh!

Reactions: graceh90
Easy there sparky, first ND was a 10.5 point favorite, not 21. Then please link where I said usc was the best team in college football? I'm happy we won, anytime yiu can do that with your top rival it's a good day. Why don't you just go be a Georgia fan. Oh wait they just lost at home to a 2-3 team. Clemson struggled against Wake Forest and didnt cover the spread. We won, take your meds, relax and enjoy the win Geesh!

I watch SC very closely. Current roster has spotty talent but it is a poor
“team”. I say team because football is a team game and SC is woefully coached. The ND team I saw vs UGA beats SC by 4 TDs!

Reactions: rgc7
“team”. I say team because football is a team game and SC is woefully coached. The ND team I saw vs UGA beats SC by 4 TDs!
Anyone who actually follow college football knows you can not have a perfect week evey week. Also, it's about match ups and schemes. Ask Georgia it happens. Again relax we won not playing our d best.

Anyone who actually follow college football knows you can not have a perfect week evey week. Also, it's about match ups and schemes. Ask Georgia it happens. Again relax we won not playing our d best.

I can agree on that.

Reactions: rgc7
I can agree on that.
And I'm the delusional one lol. Even the elite teams struggle against inferior talent, even much less than usc, but they find ways to win even on bad days. I played college level tennis. Although not a team sport even with the best preparation you have off days. But winning even on your off days speaks volumes of your character. But please continue on your quest. Obviously you're on a mission and no amount of logic will divert you lol. Post On!

In a way I love that our expectations are this high. It felt like this was the first game Lea had where he didn’t make any second half adjustments. I’m also still frustrated by book a bit but he had a play in the 3rd Q where he was flushed and scrambled but kept his head up and converted a 3rd down. Small progress I’ll take.

But let’s not lose sight of the big picture- we’ve beaten USC 3 freaking times in a row! We’re 5-1. I think with a week off and maybe getting more from Armstrong and TJJ humming, we have a good shot v UM. Though I’m viewing the rest of the season that we have VERY minimal shot at getting back in the playoffs. Not because we aren’t going to finish 11-1, just because this is the year I see a number of undefeated teams to choose and if the last spot goes to a 1 loss team it likely won’t be us. Given that maybe I’m less stressed out at this point, idk? It’d be pretty gratifying to go 12-1 with a ny6 bowl win and would set up next year and beyond for greater things.

The season is ONLY halfway over, unbeaten teams may not be unbeaten at season’s end.

Lots of football ahead of us.

ND’s mission is to win out

no, I have seen them play and ND laid a gargantuan egg last night!
SC has individual talent in spits but isa bad “team”.

No sugar coating a bad effort by the ND staff.
They are not a bad team. They already beat a top 14 team this year. Theyve played games with their backup qb and 3rd string qb. They're 3 and 3 with a difficult schedule and backup qbs. They are much better this year

Not so sure that I agree.

ND let USC back into the game in the second half after dominating them in the Second quarter.

ND failed to counter USC’s adjustments and if Young doesn’t recover his fumble, chances are that USC wins the game

Good point. But....... wouldn’t you say that Young shouldn’t have fumbled at all. He was headed for a score and the ball came out. So , yes ND didn’t counter SC’s attack . I do agree with you on that. However, I do think it was by design. Once they had the lead, I feel they were playing cautiously. Personally, I hate that philosophy. If you look at the game you would see ND had some chances to expand on their lead but failed to do so. In the end, like I said, they weathered the “ storm” and won. Now, do I think there are 5 or 6 teams better than them ? I do. So I’m realistic about how they play. With that said, it is college football and you never know. I’m just really happy they won. It sure as hell beats losing. Go Irish !!

no, I have seen them play and ND laid a gargantuan egg last night!
SC has individual talent in spits but isa bad “team”.

No sugar coating a bad effort by the ND staff.

I’ve seen SC also. They have played poorly and uninspired in some games. But you knew they were coming to play yesterday. They looked like a determined group especially in the second half. I don’t disagree they had some issues defensively. They also had some good plays as well. But if people feel they played poorly, that’s fine. If that’s the case, think about this. It wasn’t their best game and yet they still won. That says a lot about this team.

Reactions: graceh90
I’ve seen SC also. They have played poorly and uninspired in some games. But you knew they were coming to play yesterday. They looked like a determined group especially in the second half. I don’t disagree they had some issues defensively. They also had some good plays as well. But if people feel they played poorly, that’s fine. If that’s the case, think about this. It wasn’t their best game and yet they still won. That says a lot about this team.

the player’s played the plan fine but my criticism is that was one flawed approach to beating SC! ND was a much better team, but it was not evident in the 2nd half. As to coaching, it was really not what Helton did, but more so what ND did (or did not do).

the player’s played the plan fine but my criticism is that was one flawed approach to beating SC! ND was a much better team, but it was not evident in the 2nd half. As to coaching, it was really not what Helton did, but more so what ND did (or did not do).
I think their OC got a bead on what ND was doing defensively and found a way to always get slovis to find the one elite wr in single coverage. Lea never adjusted like I said earlier in the thread. I don’t necessarily blame him though when you re-form your D for an exotic team for one week you sort of limit your options. And it worked in the first half. They were kinda pot committed to the schemes.

Not so sure that I agree.

ND let USC back into the game in the second half after dominating them in the Second quarter.

ND failed to counter USC’s adjustments and if Young doesn’t recover his fumble, chances are that USC wins the game

Exactly. that was a very poor showing by the D in the second half. not sure what the hell Clark Lea was doing or NOT doing at that point. Our players were literally standing around they were so tired. Didn't even see rotation of players like normal.. at least I don't think. SC never even thought of punting in the second half. Some Irish fans think that's OK huh? WOW.

Wow, one of the most delousinal post I've seen lol. You would think we lost by 40 reading your post. USC coming off a bye with arguably better talent then ND.

better talent than ND? talk about delusional. NO, they don't. Irish should have buried their asses when they had a chance.

absolutely right. ND was 21 points better at least. 20-3 should have laid it on them by 35+ . SC had no business hanging around in the second half. Onside kick?! really? Jesus

Good point. But....... wouldn’t you say that Young shouldn’t have fumbled at all. He was headed for a score and the ball came out. So , yes ND didn’t counter SC’s attack . I do agree with you on that. However, I do think it was by design. Once they had the lead, I feel they were playing cautiously. Personally, I hate that philosophy. If you look at the game you would see ND had some chances to expand on their lead but failed to do so. In the end, like I said, they weathered the “ storm” and won. Now, do I think there are 5 or 6 teams better than them ? I do. So I’m realistic about how they play. With that said, it is college football and you never know. I’m just really happy they won. It sure as hell beats losing. Go Irish !!

Agree, he shouldn’t have fumbled, but cool to cold weather makes the ball slippery.

The season is only at the halfway mark.

A lot can happen in the second half, we just have one mission, to win out.

Reactions: tkirish
Exactly. that was a very poor showing by the D in the second half. not sure what the hell Clark Lea was doing or NOT doing at that point. Our players were literally standing around they were so tired. Didn't even see rotation of players like normal.. at least I don't think. SC never even thought of punting in the second half. Some Irish fans think that's OK huh? WOW.

There was a 4.5 minute differential in TOP in the first half.

When you only rush 3 linemen it leads to fatigue.

better talent than ND? talk about delusional. NO, they don't. Irish should have buried their asses when they had a chance.
Do you even follow college football? USC has better ranked recruiting year in and year out. For the past four years USC has 11 5 stars compared to our 2. Overall talent it's hands down USC and it's not even close.

These 1 loss teams ‘trump’ ND:
LSU
CU
UGA
AU
Bama
tOSU
Okla.
Oregon

ND needs those teams to lose 2.

Haha! Made me laugh irish4life! Too many posters forget that sometimes the other team shows up to play. Nothing wrong with a nice win over a rivalry opponent. I haven't ventured over to NDN to see what the chicken little crowd over there is saying about the game. All gloom and doom, I imagine.
WAA-WAH-fire brian Kelly. BOO-HOO you're banned

SC was supposed to be vulnerable on the Oline. I saw them pass protect all night unless we blitzed more men then they had. The Trojan run blocking was a mixed bag but they got some big ones well discussed here.

Agree, he shouldn’t have fumbled, but cool to cold weather makes the ball slippery.

The season is only at the halfway mark.

A lot can happen in the second half, we just have one mission, to win out.

For us it's not even halfway because of an unbalanced schedule. We've played 4 power teams, 2 decisively + 2 closely, with lots of rest. We're now going to play 6 power teams in a row without a BYE. I bet some of them have byes before us. It will probably be harder to win out. (yes I count Navy)

For us it's not even halfway because of an unbalanced schedule. We've played 4 power teams, 2 decisively + 2 closely, with lots of rest. We're now going to play 6 power teams in a row without a BYE. I bet some of them have byes before us. It will probably be harder to win out. (yes I count Navy)

Staying healthy will be critical.

WAA-WAH-fire brian Kelly. BOO-HOO you're banned

SC was supposed to be vulnerable on the Oline. I saw them pass protect all night unless we blitzed more men then they had. The Trojan run blocking was a mixed bag but they got some big ones well discussed here.

5 blocking 3
and 1 SC starter was out. ND never brought the consistent pressure
I-recall early on-a LB blitzed and got to the QB for a sack. Slovis had too much
time to wait for his excellent WR’s to come open. Strategical blunder.

5 blocking 3
I-recall early on-a LB blitzed and got to the QB for a sack. Slovis had too much
How is it a blunder when they win the game ? Is that the goal ?

Playing conservative with a lead has been a staple with the Kelly era. They never bury teams like they are supposed to. I don’t know what people think is going to improve or the team will learn from this game.
"Supposed to " ? How so ? The other team doesn't try ?

And it's still counts for ONE win. Starting to think someone bet ND and lost.

Yes because the same three players played every snap. Yikes.

I never said that.

But since you’re such an expert, tell us, who had more playing time:

1. Starting DL
2. 2nd team DL
3. 3rd team DL

He certainly out played his counterpart.

You didn’t answer the question!

You avoided answering the question with a feeble attempt to divert and deflect.

You told us, you’re an expert, so answer the question.

I remember a year -- I think it was '92 -- when Notre Dame went out to LA and Reggie Brooks ran wild on USC in the first half. Yet, USC had the ball deep in our territory down 8 with a chance to tie in the waning moments.

My memory also tells me that Lou Holtz said that team was his most talented.

In light of the fact that Holtz enjoys what can only be described as an exalted reputation around here, I wonder what people would have said about that game if we had this forum back then.
Sheesh Lou Holtz is God around here. The home loss to a crappy BC team that cost ND a National Championship is never mind. Lou Holtz never made a coaching mistake at ND.

Sheesh Lou Holtz is God around here. The home loss to a crappy BC team that cost ND a National Championship is never mind. Lou Holtz never made a coaching mistake at ND.
Trust me, if there were internet message boards back then with the exception of the 88 season the same knuckle heads calling for Kelly's ass would have been there calling for Lou's. Stupid transcends time lol.

5 blocking 3
This was the template that everyone who's beat USC this year. Oh, guess what, it worked again!! Doesn't it ever get old being schooled by everyone on the board. Oh as far as talent, USC has elite talent (better than ND's), just poor coaching.

This was the template that everyone who's beat USC this year. Oh, guess what, it worked again!! Doesn't it ever get old being schooled by everyone on the board. Oh as far as talent, USC has elite talent (better than ND's), just poor coaching.

you being a wrong dumb ass never gets old

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT