ADVERTISEMENT

TAMU Fan Site to Pay $10K For "Exclusive" Interviews

Dec 7, 2007
A TAMU football fan site will pay $10K each to RB Isaiah Spiller and S Demani Richardson for "exclusive" feature interviews:

Maybe I have become too jaded in my old age, but is this just a way to legitimize payments to players that were previously made under the table? I see the possibility of great mischief being done here. I generally don't have a problem with the players getting NIL rights, but I hate to see NIL rights being misused as a way for boosters to funnel wads of cash into player's hands. The boosters are probably loving this situation, because now they will be able to take tax write offs from payments that were previously illegal.

Has SCOTUS opened up Pandora's box? I guess we will see.

A TAMU football fan site will pay $10K each to RB Isaiah Spiller and S Demani Richardson for "exclusive" feature interviews:

Maybe I have become too jaded in my old age, but is this just a way to legitimize payments to players that were previously made under the table? I see the possibility of great mischief being done here. I generally don't have a problem with the players getting NIL rights, but I hate to see NIL rights being misused as a way for boosters to funnel wads of cash into player's hands. The boosters are probably loving this situation, because now they will be able to take tax write offs from payments that were previously illegal.

Has SCOTUS opened up Pandora's box? I guess we will see.
This was done by state legislatures in states that care about college fb, such as Texas.

State schools like A&M are ultimately arms of the state. Private schools like ND can never win a bidding war for talent because the opposition can bill the taxpayer.

This was done by state legislatures in states that care about college fb, such as Texas.

State schools like A&M are ultimately arms of the state. Private schools like ND can never win a bidding war for talent because the opposition can bill the taxpayer.

According to the ESPN story, the fan site is independently owned and is not affiliated with the school, so there shouldn't be any taxpayer money being doled out here. This appears to be all private money going to the players.

What is to legally stop a wealthy ND booster from purchasing a controlling interest in a South Bend radio station, and then start paying players and recruits for "exclusive" interviews? I haven't studied what the legal landscape might be in Indiana for NIL rights, so I am asking this as a hypothetical scenario.

I guess we will see how this all shakes out, but I can see how this NIL stuff might quickly go off the rails, and make recruiting even more of a game where the rich get richer.

Reactions: irish4life9999
gonna become NFL lite. Free agency and no caps.Trouble will brew.
Could very well happen. No one knows the fallout. I am of the opinion it will be less chaotic then some think, ut really who knows anything?

IT could get truly crazy and force Congress to take action (which would take true insanity to get that bunch off their fat butts)

Could very well happen. No one knows the fallout. I am of the opinion it will be less chaotic then some think, ut really who knows anything?

IT could get truly crazy and force Congress to take action (which would take true insanity to get that bunch off their fat butts)
You need a well connected school, such as Michigan, or lately WVU, to get outbid by some disreputable joint like Baylor for a star player. Then the powers that be will realize that his is all 'out of hand' and demand national action.

Another way is if the young earners start making public statements about high taxes. University Deans will be aghast to hear conservative wolves howling among the flock of leftist sheeple.

Love it. Hope those kids make as much money as they can. Dont get why posters are getting so bent out of shape about it. Those kids need to make sure they set aside around 2500 for 3rd Q Estimates. Uncle Sam always gets his cut.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT