ADVERTISEMENT

Swarbrick on recruiting.

Aug 7, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Says at ND recruiting is more about fit than talent. Does he really believe ND can compete at an elite level while saying we aren't interested in recruiting elite players? would post the link but it's from scout and I am not sure if that is against board rules.

Says at ND recruiting is more about fit than talent. Does he really believe ND can compete at an elite level while saying we aren't interested in recruiting elite players? would post the link but it's from scout and I am not sure if that is against board rules.

Swarbrick is saving Notre Dame football. Recruiting is his focus now. Notice how great we are doing in recruiting after a 4 and 8 season. Jack has got the right coaches now and is working on the talent inflow.
Swarbrick: More recruiting resources needed
Jack Swarbrick believes Notre Dame’s programs hit the mark in recruiting talent. Where he believes there’s room for improvement is finding fits.

Editor’s Note: Earlier this month Notre Dame Vice President and Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick sat down with Irish Illustrated for a wide-ranging interview that explored his faith in Brian Kelly, future football schedules, upgrades to facilities and investing in student welfare. That interview also included a conversation about recruiting.

The story got Jack Swarbrick’s attention.

Earlier this summer, Cleveland.com published a deep dive into Ohio State’s recruiting operation that detailed the Buckeyes’ 10-person recruiting department that’s funded with combined salaries in excess of $600,000. The piece detailed how Ohio State identify talent and how it recruits it, from film evaluations to on-campus visits to social media engagement.

Considering Ohio State is on pace for a historic class this cycle – the Buckeyes have as many Top 100 prospects committed as the entire Big Ten and Notre Dame combined – it was the find of expose that can trigger soul searching elsewhere.

Yet for Swarbrick that wasn’t the reaction, at least not exactly. But Notre Dame’s athletics director does believe the University can upgrade how it approaches talent acquisition.

“Our resource focus is on fit evaluation more than talent evaluation,” Swarbrick told Irish Illustrated. “I very much think we have to give our coaches additional resources to evaluate fit. That’s by far our biggest challenge.

“This is a unique place. It provides extraordinary benefit to young people who take full advantage of it. Whether it’s reflected in our graduation rate or just the evaluation of students, for the right kid this is an unbelievable place.

“Our challenge is when we miss on fit because it’s much harder for our coaches to fill a hole in the roster. They’re not going to take a junior college transfer, they’re not going to over-sign a class. They’ll carry that for a couple years if we miss on fit.”

To that end, Notre Dame plans to hire Bill Rees to assist in evaluations after he filled a similar role at Wake Forest. The father of quarterbacks coach Tommy Rees has evaluation and scouting experience with the Kansas City Chiefs, Chicago Bears, San Francisco 49ers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Rees also was as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at UCLA from 1979-94.

If the Rees hire is an investment in manpower, Swarbrick also wants to enhance Notre Dame’s data library.

“We need to engage in a more robust analysis of whether there are factors that predict success at Notre Dame beyond the obvious ones,” Swarbrick said. “Are there things you can look at, objective information, that you can capture about people? That’s what Fortune 500 companies do when they’re trying to hire. It’s what the military invests so much money in.

“We’ve been engaged in regression analysis of our classes over the last 10 years to try to find if there is anything that’s predictive that helps suggest success.”

Beyond that, Notre Dame wants to do a better job getting under the hood of prospects before trying to sign them.

“Every coach here is focused on trying to attract people who can be future leaders of their teams, but assessing leadership is incredibly hard,” Swarbrick said. “Just because they were a captain of their high school team doesn’t mean they’ll be an effective leader here.

“Can we give them some simple measures of things to look for? The major league sports have invested majorly in this. The NFL can make everyone take the Wonderlic test. In a recruiting context you can’t do that. So how do you do it? Are there questions that give you insights into personality traits?”

These are the kinds of questions the Irish want to ask.

That’s not exactly following Ohio State’s lead in recruiting, but it’s a way to get Notre Dame on an improved recruiting path.

“Talent evaluation is very important and we certainly engage in that,” Swarbrick said. “But fit evaluation is, to me, the difference maker for us.”
View image on Twitter
DFrIxqkXkAED0V-.jpg:small

Follow
Irish Illustrated @PeteSampson_

I believe Swarbrick understands Notre Dame can't recruit like Ohio State or Alabama so we have to recruit smarter for us. ND has been getting killed at certain positions when we miss out on the big fish--Maybe we should recruit those recruits who are slightly less talented but are a better fit so we won't be stuck with using plan C or walkons. The 2015 Irish had a lot of talent but would have been even better if we had a few more plan B players instead of plan C. We lose too many players because they can't fit in at ND---Maybe we should use a model more like Stanford than Ohio State.

ND Football has 72 wins and 43 losses since Swarbrick became AD. Not exactly a savior. He admits the emphasis isn't on talent evaluation in recruiting. I wonder if other athletic directors have said this.

I believe Swarbrick understands Notre Dame can't recruit like Ohio State or Alabama so we have to recruit smarter for us. ND has been getting killed at certain positions when we miss out on the big fish--Maybe we should recruit those recruits who are slightly less talented but are a better fit so we won't be stuck with using plan C or walkons. The 2015 Irish had a lot of talent but would have been even better if we had a few more plan B players instead of plan C. We lose too many players because they can't fit in at ND---Maybe we should use a model more like Stanford than Ohio State.
I think this makes more sense than the article. It still seems like he admits we have a problem with recruiting and are having trouble recruiting to our strengths. How many years does he get to figure it out?

Reactions: Bodizephax
I think this makes more sense than the article. It still seems like he admits we have a problem with recruiting and are having trouble recruiting to our strengths. How many years does he get to figure it out?

If we have a big year like I think we will this season then recruiting should be easier and his plan should make immediate gains. To me I think Brandon Wimbush or Ian Book need to show their skills and leadership ability including listening to the coaches to right the ship. The QB at Notre Dame used to mean something.

This is simple. If Stanford can make their program top 10 and some years top 5, then Notre Dame can. The idea that ND cannot compete with the supposed elite teams is not true. They can. They have always had a smaller pool of players to pick from. I think recent events regarding " cheating" over the last few years has made an impact on type of players they want to recruit. I think they want elite talent. They also want kids who can cut it academically. It's tough, but they can get elite players that are good students. I think that is where Swarbrick wants to be. Talent alone maybe all that matters at a lot of schools, not at Notre Dame. The key is to get those players that are very good and very smart. I think if ND can get winning again and win a major bowl, it will make a big difference in recruiting. We just have to see him this year plays out. Regardless of what the naysayers think, this is still Notre Dame. I'll say one last thing. I've been following ND for 45 years. One observation I've had over those years has always held true when it come to Notre Dame football. Coaching matters! Feel free to draw your own conclusions. Go Irish!!

This is simple. If Stanford can make their program top 10 and some years top 5, then Notre Dame can. The idea that ND cannot compete with the supposed elite teams is not true. They can. They have always had a smaller pool of players to pick from. I think recent events regarding " cheating" over the last few years has made an impact on type of players they want to recruit. I think they want elite talent. They also want kids who can cut it academically. It's tough, but they can get elite players that are good students. I think that is where Swarbrick wants to be. Talent alone maybe all that matters at a lot of schools, not at Notre Dame. The key is to get those players that are very good and very smart. I think if ND can get winning again and win a major bowl, it will make a big difference in recruiting. We just have to see him this year plays out. Regardless of what the naysayers think, this is still Notre Dame. I'll say one last thing. I've been following ND for 45 years. One observation I've had over those years has always held true when it come to Notre Dame football. Coaching matters! Feel free to draw your own conclusions. Go Irish!!
I agree with the exception of the "major" bowl thing. The advent of the playoff has rendered the other bowl games as pretty much inconsequential. You always want to win but the quality of the opponent is much more important to me than the location and date of the game.

Honestly,
I'm not sure I fully understand what Swarbrick was saying.

Here is something I've never understood about ND recruiting (or lack there of). Perhaps some of the posters can clear it up? If you look around the country in many of the big cities the strongest HS programs with the best talent are the Catholic HS's. Example: A good friend of mine's son was a QB at a big time Catholic HS........won all kinds of awards, won the State Championship amongst 6-A HS programs. In short, he was a phenom and he ended up going to Miami and starting. He never even considered ND and to the best of my knowledge he was never recruited by ND. Actually I would think (and a lot of friends think the same way) that ND should actually have a big recruiting advantage over many other schools because of all the Catholic HS football power houses. Why is that not the case?

Here is something I've never understood about ND recruiting (or lack there of). Perhaps some of the posters can clear it up? If you look around the country in many of the big cities the strongest HS programs with the best talent are the Catholic HS's. Example: A good friend of mine's son was a QB at a big time Catholic HS........won all kinds of awards, won the State Championship amongst 6-A HS programs. In short, he was a phenom and he ended up going to Miami and starting. He never even considered ND and to the best of my knowledge he was never recruited by ND. Actually I would think (and a lot of friends think the same way) that ND should actually have a big recruiting advantage over many other schools because of all the Catholic HS football power houses. Why is that not the case?

Duo, good observation. Not really sure of the answer as to why they don't have a recruiting advantage. I don't think there is one simple answer. I do think that an overall winning environment is key. Right now that's missing. Lack of consistent winning is part of the problem. I do believe they can right the ship. Also put more emphasis on recruiting catholic schools.

South Bend Indiana is a huge component-----not exactly a garden spot let's face it.

Duo, good observation. Not really sure of the answer as to why they don't have a recruiting advantage. I don't think there is one simple answer. I do think that an overall winning environment is key. Right now that's missing. Lack of consistent winning is part of the problem. I do believe they can right the ship. Also put more emphasis on recruiting catholic schools.

tK..........

If I were Jack or BK recruiting Catholic HS's would be a priority ...........especially the ones using gold helmets and ND colors like the one my friend's son attended!!! I mean.............really, go figure??? My friend's son was never recruited by ND, started at Miami, played some Pro ball for a while in the XXX League or whatever it was called and actually made some pretty good money, then went to law school and became a lawyer. Bright kid.....grades were never a problem.
PS. He later tutored my sons, one of which QB'ed a big 6A HS and started his freshman year! Oops, I digress........sorry. It appears that in some cases ND has been dropping the ball on recruiting much to the benefit of other big time CFB programs.

Reactions: tkirish
This was the case 25 to 50 years ago. What has changed is that just about every kid in that Catholic high school situation today has parents that went to college, and 98% of them did NOT go to ND. So they have both their own college loyalties, and a feeling that you don't have to go to ND to have the best college experience. The blue collar parents who sent their kids to Moeller in the 1970s dreamed of their kids going to ND. Times change.

This was the case 25 to 50 years ago. What has changed is that just about every kid in that Catholic high school situation today has parents that went to college, and 98% of them did NOT go to ND. So they have both their own college loyalties, and a feeling that you don't have to go to ND to have the best college experience. The blue collar parents who sent their kids to Moeller in the 1970s dreamed of their kids going to ND. Times change.

My Catholic high school in the northeast had split of college educated parents vs traditional blue collars. But ND was never mentioned outside of football. ND just wasn't acting like a leader in Catholic education thus others weren't following.

twalsh..........

I have no way of verifying what you said here but let's assume everything you said is true......OK?

Now........please explain why ND isn't out there recruiting like crazy? Again, lots of the Catholic HS's get out there and recruit the best talent in their area.........to the point of even recruiting away from other HS's. So, there is a lot of recruiting going on by the Catholic HS's but apparently not by ND...........why is that?

Shoot, some of those Catholic HS's even have "Notre Dame" in their name! ???:rolleyes:

Swarbick should stick to talking about things he actually knows something about .... being a business man .... dollars and cents .... and most of all politics .... he knows nothing about football .... he is a politician ..... puke

Reactions: DublinND
"ND recruiting, (or lack thereof)."

Just to update:

ND is currently sits 7th (composite) with Lamb's verbal.
Keep in mind that is with only 15 recruits. They are in front of Florida St. now, even though FSU has 17 recruits.
Other schools ahead of ND have up to 20 already.
If Kevin Austin verbals to ND as expected in two weeks, ND will be in the top 5 with only 16 recruits. Ahead of LSU (20), Tennessee (17), FSU (17), & gaining on PSU (20) & Miami (19) who both have more recruits.

ND is in line for the best defensive class in the country with 6 defensive players already who competed at the Opening Finals, (which doesn't include top 10 LB Bauer), & still in the running for 4-5 more.

ND has a top 10 DT, two top 10 ILBs, a top 10 OLB, a top 10 Safety, & a DT & OLB who were invited to the Opening Finals. (7 total)

They are still in the chase for multiple 4 Star CB's & DE's as well.

ND is also in the lead for a 4 Star who can play either OG or DT.

Offensively you know they recruit well.

Top 10 QB, top 10 RB, top 10 TE, & another top 20 RB, top 20 WR & two top 20 OL.

In the lead for top 10 WR & top 10 TE.
In the hunt for three top 10 OL.

This is a very strong class.

Reactions: irishsportsfan
I agree that so far it is a strong class. However, it only stays strong of all these kids sign the LOI in the end which has hurt ND a lot in recent classes.

You are 100% right .and lock up the catholic schools.

"ND recruiting, (or lack thereof)."

Just to update:

ND is currently sits 7th (composite) with Lamb's verbal.
Keep in mind that is with only 15 recruits. They are in front of Florida St. now, even though FSU has 17 recruits.
Other schools ahead of ND have up to 20 already.
If Kevin Austin verbals to ND as expected in two weeks, ND will be in the top 5 with only 16 recruits. Ahead of LSU (20), Tennessee (17), FSU (17), & gaining on PSU (20) & Miami (19) who both have more recruits.

ND is in line for the best defensive class in the country with 6 defensive players already who competed at the Opening Finals, (which doesn't include top 10 LB Bauer), & still in the running for 4-5 more.

ND has a top 10 DT, two top 10 ILBs, a top 10 OLB, a top 10 Safety, & a DT & OLB who were invited to the Opening Finals. (7 total)

They are still in the chase for multiple 4 Star CB's & DE's as well.

ND is also in the lead for a 4 Star who can play either OG or DT.

Offensively you know they recruit well.

Top 10 QB, top 10 RB, top 10 TE, & another top 20 RB, top 20 WR & two top 20 OL.

In the lead for top 10 WR & top 10 TE.
In the hunt for three top 10 OL.

This is a very strong class.

NDAF............

Re: "This is a very strong class."

You are exactly right. SOMETHING has obviously changed in ND recruiting. And someone must have had a fire under his kister! Even if some drop out it's still a great class. As far as making comparisons..........well, it's still early.

NDAF............

Re: "This is a very strong class."

You are exactly right. SOMETHING has obviously changed in ND recruiting. And someone must have had a fire under his kister! Even if some drop out it's still a great class. As far as making comparisons..........well, it's still early.

It's actually not complicated:

BVG refused to recruit. He thought he was above it & he rubbed people the wrong way.

Elko is the exact opposite. He not only recruits hard, he coaches players on visits & even sits down with them in film study. Both top 10 LBs who committed this week cited Elko's interest in watching film with them & instructing them personally was very importan to them.

Polian is a proven west coast recruiter & a "players' coach." Recruits love him.

ND hired a very accomplished recruiting evaluater, Bill Rees.

So it wasn't much more simple then getting rid of the dead weight & bringing in great recruiters.

The same things Harry Heistand is doing on the Oline recruiting, Elko & Polian are doing on Defensive recruiting.

The 2019 recruits are already commenting on how much more interested they are in ND now.

I think if ND wins 9-10 games this year they will actually get a few more who have ND close, but not first.

I mean since he is the AD his job doesn't necessarily hinge on making sure football recruiting is going smoothly. Swarbrick has given Kelly more then enough resources and has worked to insure small changes (facility upgrade, more money for assistants, shamrock series, etc.) occur that would help with recruiting. In years past ND has gone full focus on talent as priority 1, 2, and 3... at the end of the season if they whiff they have ended up scrambling or they see guys get on to campus and transfer within 2 years leaving roster holes. Not sure what the point of the criticism is. If ND continued to prioritize elite talent and disregarded fit everyone, including you, would be complaining in February about how we got in too late on guys who would have loved to go to ND but ND was soft peddling them for a 4*

It's actually not complicated:

BVG refused to recruit. He thought he was above it & he rubbed people the wrong way.

Elko is the exact opposite. He not only recruits hard, he coaches players on visits & even sits down with them in film study. Both top 10 LBs who committed this week cited Elko's interest in watching film with them & instructing them personally was very importan to them.

Polian is a proven west coast recruiter & a "players' coach." Recruits love him.

ND hired a very accomplished recruiting evaluater, Bill Rees.

So it wasn't much more simple then getting rid of the dead weight & bringing in great recruiters.

The same things Harry Heistand is doing on the Oline recruiting, Elko & Polian are doing on Defensive recruiting.

The 2019 recruits are already commenting on how much more interested they are in ND now.

I think if ND wins 9-10 games this year they will actually get a few more who have ND close, but not first.

This would explain why Tommy has his job ..... figures

Actually no.

Tommy was hired long before Bill.

And the players love Tommy. The recruits at the Irish Invasion said of all the camps he was the best at relating to them personally.

Bill is respected nationally & many teams wanted him. Having Tommy on board actually helped getting Bill over other top opportunities.

You hate Brian Kelly and Jack Swarbrick. Everyone knows it. But you bring nothing to the football conversation. Even when positive things are done you complain.

Actually no.

And the players love Tommy. The recruits at the Irish Invasion said of all the camps he was the best at relating to them personally.

Bill is respected nationally & many teams wanted him. Having Tommy on board actually helped getting Bill over other top opportunities.

You hate Brian Kelly and Jack Swarbrick. Everyone knows it. But you bring nothing to the football conversation. Even when positive things are done you complain.

It's all about who you know .... if you knew anything you'd know that Kelly is a politician as much as anything ..... listen to any one of his press conferences .... it helps explain why someone soooo under qualified got such a prestigious coaching job with no prior experience ...... glad the players like him .... best at relating to them? .. what a shocker .... 20 something ex player vs a 55 yr old coach .... what a revelation .... hopefully he can do more han be their buddy .... Bill is obviously well respected and has tons of experience .... he certainly expalins Tommy's position .... road his coattails to NU and now here ....

All you remember apparently is waranted criticisms and none of the other .... another shocker ... you can get in line .... I've always said Kelly does some things well .... recruiting being one of them ...... glad to know where you stand .... :rolleyes:

Just going to double down on this. We cannot get involved with Ole Miss &Co recruiting methods. Look how we got treated by the NCAA for a couple of loose women separated by 20 years. Imagine if they found something that actually indicated LOIC.

No he got it because he has an enormous football iq and understands the game better than most. A great future in the business.don t let his physical limits as a player cloud your vision of him as a coach. Wait, forgot who I was responding to. Objectivity and logic not your strong suit. My bad.

Reactions: Pennick44
Actually no.

Same with hoops.

No he got it because he has an enormous football iq and understands the game better than most. A great future in the business.don t let his physical limits as a player cloud your vision of him as a coach. Wait, forgot who I was responding to. Objectivity and logic not your strong suit. My bad.

You happen to know he has a great football IQ ? .... or you just believe eveything that comes out of ND's PR dept .... yes ... we know the answer to that one .... doing any type of assessment on your own is not in your repertoire .... he may have a great football IQ but that remains to be seen .... giving the ND QB coaching job to someone that has no more experience than a student assistant is politics .... oops ... he held a clipboard and compiled stats for 1 year in San Diego .... no official title because nobody is sure what he did ... LOL! .... objectivity, logic, ... and common sense are my strong points ... that's why you cant understand .... :)

You happen to know he has a great football IQ ? .... or you just believe eveything that comes out of ND's PR dept .... yes ... we know the answer to that one .... doing any type of assessment on your own is not in your repertoire .... he may have a great football IQ but that remains to be seen .... giving the ND QB coaching job to someone that has no more experience than a student assistant is politics .... oops ... he held a clipboard and compiled stats for 1 year in San Diego .... no official title because nobody is sure what he did ... LOL! .... objectivity, logic, ... and common sense are my strong points ... that's why you cant understand .... :)
Yes I do. I know dozens and dozens of folks in the business. Rees IS held in high regard by those in the know. You ve proven here many, many times that you know absolutely nothing about coaching football or basketball. Stick to subjects you re well informed about....if there are any.

You say ? .... your word is garbage .... while you can lie about what you think you know ... nobody can lie about Rees resume ..... tell us again how reputable you are ... LOL!

You say ? .... your word is garbage .... while you can lie about what you think you know ... nobody can lie about Rees resume ..... tell us again how reputable you are ... LOL!
What s wrong with his resume ?

You have no clue about ND or football do you? Why are you here?

Why don't you spend a dollar & read what actually goes on at ND? Let me help you for free this time with Tommy Rees.

At the Invasion there were about a dozen of the top HS QBs in the nation who worked with Rees. Afterwards they said in interviews that Tommy made a huge impression on them with his coaching style, knowledge of the game, & willingness to work on their mistakes at the camp.
Afterwards multiple QBs contacted the staff about OV's & two wanted to commit. ND picked the one they wanted & now ND already has a 2019 QB commit they are really high on.

That's factual information about Tommy. Please tell me your insights on the matter?

Why don't you spend a dollar & read what actually goes on at ND? Let me help you for free this time with Tommy Rees.

At the Invasion there were about a dozen of the top HS QBs in the nation who worked with Rees. Afterwards they said in interviews that Tommy made a huge impression on them with his coaching style, knowledge of the game, & willingness to work on their mistakes at the camp.
Afterwards multiple QBs contacted the staff about OV's & two wanted to commit. ND picked the one they wanted & now ND already has a 2019 QB commit they are really high on.

That's factual information about Tommy. Please tell me your insights on the matter?
He didn't t like him as a player.

High school QB's were complimetary .... how unusual .... so I guess if anyone signs he gets all the credit ?.... players probably didn't have contact with anyone else .... like other clowns you hang your hat on some small piece of info ... which i haven't heard anywhere else and info from posters on this site is very unreliable ... factual because you say so? ... can he put this info on his resume to get a coaching job .... LOL!

Needless to say the point is Tommy getting coaching job with ZERO experience .... look up his resume ... grad assistant ... one year holding clipboard compiling stats in San Diego .... you "claim" you want talk facts but not important ones apparently .... :eek:

High school QB's were complimetary .... how unusual .... so I guess if anyone signs he gets all the credit ?.... players probably didn't have contact with anyone else .... like other clowns you hang your hat on some small piece of info ... which i haven't heard anywhere else and info from posters on this site is very unreliable ... factual because you say so? ... can he put this info on his resume to get a coaching job .... LOL!

Needless to say the point is Tommy getting coaching job with ZERO experience .... look up his resume ... grad assistant ... one year holding clipboard compiling stats in San Diego .... you "claim" you want talk facts but not important ones apparently .... :eek:
Says the guy who rips brey on every turn and uses one newspaper article over and over. As far as Rees goes, you snatch up young talent before others can. Kelly's endorsement is enough for me. Your opinion means nothing....just like basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT