ADVERTISEMENT

Swarbrick interested in scheduling Bama, Auburn

I hope this comes to pass. If ND is going to be playing fewer games than conference champions, we need games like these on the schedule.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...expresses-interest-scheduling-alabama-auburn/

NDSMC......

You are absolutely right on............if you want to be the best you have to play the best! If Clemson, Ohio State and Florida State can do it others can as well.

I used to follow John Elway and the Denver, Broncos. (My sons played ball with John's son Jack for years.). After 3 horrible Super Bowl losses people used to say things to me like, "It must be horrible being a Broncos fan". I would tell them it's all about the journey.......that getting to those 3 Super Bowls was absolutely thrilling. Of course, then the reward came after they won 2 in a row and John retired as one of the all time champions of the game.

Of course, the other thing about playing the best is that it gives recruiting a shot in the arm. Getting to the top requires a lot of skill, hard work and a healthy dose of good luck.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
NDSMC......

You are absolutely right on............if you want to be the best you have to play the best! If Clemson, Ohio State and Florida State can do it others can as well.

ND's schedule is better than the three teams you just named. This year it's ranked above them (12th) & over the past 20 seasons it's averaged right around 10-11 & none of those three teams average top 20.

So ND is actually doing something OSU, Clemson & FSU aren't doing. Which is consistently playing an elite schedule.

ND's schedule is better than the three teams you just named. This year it's ranked above them (12th) & over the past 20 seasons it's averaged right around 10-11 & none of those three teams average top 20.

So ND is actually doing something OSU, Clemson & FSU aren't doing. Which is consistently playing an elite schedule.
Which is probably why ND gets curb stomped so much.

It would be quite a feat if Swarbrick could schedule a home and home with Florida. Two programs have only met one time. They never leave the state of Florida for a non-conference game and schedule cupcakes at home to start the year every year. It's a miracle they are playing Michigan in Dallas this year. Looking around online, Florida last played above the Mason-Dixon line against Rutgers at Giants Stadium in October of 1986!

Florida's out of conference schedule outside of FSU going forward reads like this:

2017: Michigan, vs N. Colorado, vs UAB
2018: vs Colorado State, vs Idaho
2019: at Miami (Orlando, FL),
2020: Eastern Washington, South Alabama.

No other games committed 2021 through 2028

Last edited:
BM, they actually played Syracuse at the carrier dome in the 90s and got drilled.

Our scheduling is just silly if you want a title....We play 4-6 top teams a year....we should learn from the BCS that rewarded OK, Iowa, MSU.....its not who you play, its what your record is.....USC and Stanford are enough at 12-0...you should not play more than 1 top 10 and 2 top 25 a year...that is the secret formula. Or you can schedule what we do, have to leave your starters in almost the entire game, build no depth with late game experience and get stars way to many snaps. Just my opinion, pick 1-3 key games and the rest mid-tier

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
Our scheduling is just silly if you want a title....We play 4-6 top teams a year....we should learn from the BCS that rewarded OK, Iowa, MSU.....its not who you play, its what your record is.....USC and Stanford are enough at 12-0...you should not play more than 1 top 10 and 2 top 25 a year...that is the secret formula. Or you can schedule what we do, have to leave your starters in almost the entire game, build no depth with late game experience and get stars way to many snaps. Just my opinion, pick 1-3 key games and the rest mid-tier

We do not play 4-6 top teams a year.

Yeah, playing a so-so schedule is OK if we go 12-0. If we are 11-1, however, it's going to be pretty tough to get in over teams which are 12-1.

Reactions: Irishjohn68
what does "top teams" mean? Ranked teams? If so, our future schedules definitely have that potential to play 4-6 a year. I think it'll depend on who that 12-1 team is and what their SOS is before we say our 11-1 isn't good enough. Every year will be different.

Reactions: echowaker
It would be quite a feat if Swarbrick could schedule a home and home with Florida. Two programs have only met one time. They never leave the state of Florida for a non-conference game and schedule cupcakes at home to start the year every year. It's a miracle they are playing Michigan in Dallas this year. Looking around online, Florida last played above the Mason-Dixon line against Rutgers at Giants Stadium in October of 1986!

Florida's out of conference schedule outside of FSU going forward reads like this:

2017: Michigan, vs N. Colorado, vs UAB
2018: vs Colorado State, vs Idaho
2019: at Miami (Orlando, FL),
2020: Eastern Washington, South Alabama.

No other games committed 2021 through 2028

Both Michigan and Florida are horrible travelers and these neutral site openers are meant to paper over that reality.

the same was not true of FSU, they are one of those who schedule like men.

No one but no one has a national schedule like ND. And some on this board want the Irish to join theACC .I like an independent ND .The teams in the past few years have been series with Michigan ,Michigan State , Oklahoma Texas, plus our annual games with powers like USC ,Stanford , plus Navy and we are have upcoming series with Georgia and Arkansas . And now there is a possibility of playing Auburn ,Alabama and some other SEC schools .And even in the ACC we eventually have to periodically schedule a Clemson , Florida State , Miami.
Some on this board don't think we can compete and there are others saying we are going to be very good this year which which is a big start and help with recruiting
Go for it

There is nothing wrong with our schedule except we play too many ACC teams. However I would much rather be tied to the ACC and play 5 teams then say being tied to the Big 10 or Big 12.

Reactions: tbonesays
No one but no one has a national schedule like ND. And some on this board want the Irish to join theACC .I like an independent ND .The teams in the past few years have been series with Michigan ,Michigan State , Oklahoma Texas, plus our annual games with powers like USC ,Stanford , plus Navy and we are have upcoming series with Georgia and Arkansas . And now there is a possibility of playing Auburn ,Alabama and some other SEC schools .And even in the ACC we eventually have to periodically schedule a Clemson , Florida State , Miami.
Some on this board don't think we can compete and there are others saying we are going to be very good this year which which is a big start and help with recruiting
Go for it

I live in ACC territory. If ND joined the ACC and became members of the coastal division they would have a good chance to make it to the ACC title game consistently. I feel like with the way the championship selection has evolved they would be better served in a conference. Two losses during the season really puts ND on the outside looking in as an independent. Not if they join the ACC.

I live in ACC territory. If ND joined the ACC and became members of the coastal division they would have a good chance to make it to the ACC title game consistently. I feel like with the way the championship selection has evolved they would be better served in a conference. Two losses during the season really puts ND on the outside looking in as an independent. Not if they join the ACC.

I don't think any two loss team is going to make a four team playoff.

ND doesn't play for championships. Everyone will figure that out $oon enough.

There is nothing wrong with our schedule except we play too many ACC teams. However I would much rather be tied to the ACC and play 5 teams then say being tied to the Big 10 or Big 12.
Oh god, so true. The big 10 is the weakest, most dull conference out there.

The few power teams they have end up playing only a couple good teams in a 12-game schedule. Every year they load up on Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, then throw in two MAC schools on top of that in September.

I don't know how big 10 fans even get excited during the bulk of the season? ND has Georgia early, then USC middle of the season, then finish at Stanford. That's already an over the top tough schedule in these times without even looking at the rest.

Agree w/ smc about any two loss teams making it. There would have to be some extraordinary events to take place for that to happen. Although, technically, it almost happened last year (penn state). I'm not saying it was warranted, but the 'conference champ' people out there voiced their displeasure about penn state getting snubbed, in their eyes.

I want ND to maintain whatever semblance of independence we can, and if our 11-1 isn't enough, so be it. It's the price we pay for our independence I guess. Not
saying it's right, and I'll be bitching like crazy if we get snubbed, just as I would've been had we beaten Stanford and still not gotten in in '15, but if it means we roll the dice w/ our 11-1 seasons to stay Indy, I'm all for it. Optimistically, an 11-1 season w/ our future schedules will be a tough out for the decision makers. SOS will be on our side, imo.

Reactions: echowaker
Oh god, so true. The big 10 is the weakest, most dull conference out there.

The few power teams they have end up playing only a couple good teams in a 12-game schedule. Every year they load up on Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, then throw in two MAC schools on top of that in September.

I don't know how big 10 fans even get excited during the bulk of the season? ND has Georgia early, then USC middle of the season, then finish at Stanford. That's already an over the top tough schedule in these times without even looking at the rest.

Lol, yup boring Michigan only has to contend with Florida, PSU, Wisconsin and OSU amongst others...lol, Next....

We do not play 4-6 top teams a year.

Yeah, playing a so-so schedule is OK if we go 12-0. If we are 11-1, however, it's going to be pretty tough to get in over teams which are 12-1.

UGA, UNC, USC, Miami, Navy, Stanford...6 teams, all will be across the top 10 and top 25.....Pretty sure that's 4-6 top teams in 17....

18? Michigan, Stanford, Va Tech, FSU, USC, Navy....

Yea, I get your point....I should have just said 6 and not 4-6

Reactions: TOMMY_23
UGA, UNC, USC, Miami, Navy, Stanford...6 teams, all will be across the top 10 and top 25.....Pretty sure that's 4-6 top teams in 17....

18? Michigan, Stanford, Va Tech, FSU, USC, Navy....

Yea, I get your point....I should have just said 6 and not 4-6

You have a very different opinion of what a "top team" is than I do. I do not characterize Navy, Miami and North Carolina as top teams. But since you claim that ND plays 4-6 top teams every year, please let us know what top teams ND played in 2016? 2015? 2014?

That's why I asked what defines a "top team". Navy was 9-3, won their division & was ranked #25 last year. If that were any other name and have had the seasons they've had for the last decade, they'd be considered a top team but since they're navy, they get no respect from some out there. UNC was undefeated in the ACC in '15 and ended up 8-5 last year w/ an upset of FSU. Miami should be better w/ an upgrade in coaching. I would probably place all three (navy, Miami & UNC) as, at least, potential fringe top teams. If they are the middling teams on ur schedule, that's a pretty tough slate.

Reactions: TOMMY_23
From a scheduling standpoint ND's 2016 schedule was one of the softest schedules in recent memory. It did not include Louisville, Pitt, UNC, Clemson or FSU but still ND went 2-3 in the ACC. It will be very interesting to see how ND does this year vs. BC, UNC, NC State, Wake and Miami (Note: Vegas has Miami as an 8 point favorite).

Lol, yup boring Michigan only has to contend with Florida, PSU, Wisconsin and OSU amongst others...lol, Next....
That's one year. You've loaded up on garbage teams early on for many years. Just like last year. Florida is okay but certainly not in the league of USC or Georgia.

Big 10 fans can't deny that you have the most BYE weeks in a season why you take on half of your conference. A team like Rutgers would lose to GVSU.

Last edited:
[
You have a very different opinion of what a "top team" is than I do. I do not characterize Navy, Miami and North Carolina as top teams. But since you claim that ND plays 4-6 top teams every year, please let us know what top teams ND played in 2016? 2015? 2014?
Why don't you get to the point and stop trolling? Define what a top team is in your viewpoint. Top-5, top-25? There aren't many teams that load up on top-10 teams in one schedule.

ND sure has it's fair share of big time competition through the years you mentioned. Clemson, USC, Stanford, Florida State, Arizona State, Navy was 16th ranked in 2015, and Georgia this year.

ND does as good of a job as any program at scheduling fair and top competition. Kelly does an even better job at losing to those teams. College football is a roller coaster ride. Outside of Bama, OSU and Clemson we don't know who is great from year-to-year.

From a scheduling standpoint ND's 2016 schedule was one of the softest schedules in recent memory. It did not include Louisville, Pitt, UNC, Clemson or FSU but still ND went 2-3 in the ACC. It will be very interesting to see how ND does this year vs. BC, UNC, NC State, Wake and Miami (Note: Vegas has Miami as an 8 point favorite).
I agree about how 2016 shook out. That's why Kelly needed to be shown the door. It was the weakest schedule I've ever seen ND play.

2014 was a different story.

FSU was ranked no. 3, ASU no. 15, Louisville no. 21 and USC at no. 24.

2015 had #2 Clemson, #7 Stanford, #16 Navy and a really good and loaded with NFL talent USC team that year.

Those years fit the four top teams on the schedule that a previous poster mentioned.

[

Why don't you get to the point and stop trolling? Define what a top team is in your viewpoint. Top-5, top-25? There aren't many teams that load up on top-10 teams in one schedule.

ND sure has it's fair share of big time competition through the years you mentioned. Clemson, USC, Stanford, Florida State, Arizona State, Navy was 16th ranked in 2015, and Georgia this year.

ND does as good of a job as any program at scheduling fair and top competition. Kelly does an even better job at losing to those teams. College football is a roller coaster ride. Outside of Bama, OSU and Clemson we don't know who is great from year-to-year.

And Clemson is a very recent addition to that list.
I don't know of any team that regularly plays more than two top10 teams except maybe an SECw bottom dweller when that division is running hot.

It's more clear to look at the bottom teams to see how tough ND makes it on herself. We tend to schedule Purdue and Temple instead of Rose Hulman and Scranton.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT