ADVERTISEMENT

Stating the Obvious, ND needs an elite "college" QB

If Pyne ends up having a totally good year, we probably won't go for a transfer. The transfer stuff was when it looked like we were going to be a complete shambles, which could still happen of course. But after Saturday's blowout the complexion at the QB position has already changed, and will presumably stay that way if Pyne is solid/productive or better all season long and the offense keeps performing like Saturday. It depends on who's available perhaps...

One thing ND definitely needs to do, and always needed to do very much is get a '23 HS commit at QB. Totally unacceptable that they would just take no one and strike out altogether. Maybe not 'unacceptable;, but very disappointing and poor. They gotta get somebody....

If Pyne ends up having a totally good year, we probably won't go for a transfer. The transfer stuff was when it looked like we were going to be a complete shambles, which could still happen of course. But after Saturday's blowout the complexion at the QB position has already changed, and will presumably stay that way if Pyne is solid/productive or better all season long and the offense keeps performing like Saturday. It depends on who's available perhaps...

One thing ND definitely needs to do, and always needed to do very much is get a '23 HS commit at QB. Totally unacceptable that they would just take no one and strike out altogether. Maybe not 'unacceptable;, but very disappointing and poor. They gotta get somebody....
ND needs another 2024, 2023 and a transfer portal QB.

I've been on this forum for a long time, and I know one thing. There are individuals on this board that lauded every QB recruit ND has landed the last 10-12 years as the 2nd coming of Rice. Most of which were 4-5 star QB's coming out of HS.
Crist 5*
Golson 4*
Kiel 5*
Zaire 4*
Kizer 4*
Wimbush 4*
Book 3*
Davis 4*
Jurkovec 4*
Pyne 4*
Buchner 4*

I highly doubt that ND has had such poor luck at this position that out of all of the QB's listed above, Book was the most successful. I just don't buy that all of these guys didn't pan out, not one of them. So either the recruiting rankings are way off or it's coaching and development.

I've been on this forum for a long time, and I know one thing. There are individuals on this board that lauded every QB recruit ND has landed the last 10-12 years as the 2nd coming of Rice. Most of which were 4-5 star QB's coming out of HS.
Crist 5*
Golson 4*
Kiel 5*
Zaire 4*
Kizer 4*
Wimbush 4*
Book 3*
Davis 4*
Jurkovec 4*
Pyne 4*
Buchner 4*

I highly doubt that ND has had such poor luck at this position that out of all of the QB's listed above, Book was the most successful. I just don't buy that all of these guys didn't pan out, not one of them. So either the recruiting rankings are way off or it's coaching and development.
Fit! Book was BK’s darling from the start! No improve, just followed BK’s instructions.

Crist 5*
Golson 4*
Kiel 5*
Zaire 4*
Kizer 4*
Wimbush 4*
Book 3*
Davis 4*
Jurkovec 4*
Pyne 4*
Buchner 4*

A lot of strange things happened to some of these guys. However, some were really good college QBs.

Crist 5* Injuries got him
Golson 4* Went undefeated and played in the championship. Bad grades did him in.
Kiel 5* Head case
Zaire 4* Played well but Kizer was better
Kizer 4* NFL QB that should have stayed one more season.
Wimbush 4* Great athlete. I was mad Book took his job. He never learned the whole playbook and could not read defenses.
Book 3* Best QB ND has had since Brady. Big fan, broke ND records.
Davis 4* WR?
Jurkovec 4* He was tired of sitting. He would be the starter now and Jack probably wouldn't have played.
Pyne 4* Bad
Buchner 4* We will see

Fit! Book was BK’s darling from the start! No improve, just followed BK’s instructions.
I forgot to add Rees to that list, who was another 3* that had more success than most on that list outside of Book and possibly Kiser.

If what you write is in fact the case, then Rees, being BK's understudy most likely has the same mindset. Which won't bode well for the future of the offense.

I forgot to add Rees to that list, who was another 3* that had more success than most on that list outside of Book and possibly Kiser.

If what you write is in fact the case, then Rees, being BK's understudy most likely has the same mindset. Which won't bode well for the future of the offense.
Exactly, Rees was the lead into Book. Slightly more mobile and slightly better are but fully dedicated to BK’s offense without deviation. It worked very well until it met the talented teams in the upper tiers.

Are you trying to say Pyne is good?

Are you happy ND recruited Pyne?

Pyne has no business on any team that is realistically trying to win a championship.

Pyne would not start over Marshals QB or Cals. TB would not start over Marshals QB.
Stop trying to divert and deflect and answer the questions

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂

You are so feisty!!!!!!!!! Calm down young fella calm down.

Look, you can say I know nothing about football, that’s fine.

But you are the one comparing Pyne to Brady and Montana lol.

But let’s stay at that crazy level of comparison and compare Pyne to Stroud.

Stroud: Passing yards 1200, TDs 16, 112 att. Passing rating 207.

Pyne: Yards 459, TD 6, att 63, rating 159

I know, the first thing you will say is “weapons”. CJ has better weapons and runs a different offense.

Well, the same can be said about the guys you compared Pyne to.

You actually compared Pyne to guys with a total of 11 Super Bowl rings???? And I’m the one that knows nothing about football???

Who is the better QB, Drew or Stroud?
i didn’t compare Pyne to Brady and Montana, I told you to compare their stats because YOU were critical of Payne’s stats, and Payne’s stats are very favorable despite your not understanding those stats.

The first thing I will say is that everyone pales in comparison to the ultra elite at every position, ergo your comparison to Stroud is irrelevant. In addition, Ohio States receivers are exponentially better than ND’s and the OSU OLine has done a better job protecting their QB.

Since you have a problem with reading comprehension, let me repeat, i compared Montana’s and Kizers ND stats to Payne’s ND stats and threw in Brady’s stats to try to educate you with regard to your ridiculous claim that Payne’s YPA should be 15.

The question/s which you keep avoiding is/are simple.

What should Payne’s CP be ?
What should his YPA be ?
What should his YPC be ?
What should his QBR be ?

Answer those questions

OR

Admit that you are wrong about his performance to date

thanks

I'm trying to remember the last time a ND QB came off the bench to rescue his team and was as successful as Drew Pyne. None come to mind, except maybe MacDougal.

And morons on this board come out and literally label him "bad". The stupidity is off the charts.

i didn’t compare Pyne to Brady and Montana, I told you to compare their stats because YOU were critical of Payne’s stats, and Payne’s stats are very favorable despite your not understanding those stats.

The first thing I will say is that everyone pales in comparison to the ultra elite at every position, ergo your comparison to Stroud is irrelevant. In addition, Ohio States receivers are exponentially better than ND’s and the OSU OLine has done a better job protecting their QB.

Since you have a problem with reading comprehension, let me repeat, i compared Montana’s and Kizers ND stats to Payne’s ND stats and threw in Brady’s stats to try to educate you with regard to your ridiculous claim that Payne’s YPA should be 15.

The question/s which you keep avoiding is/are simple.

What should Payne’s CP be ?
What should his YPA be ?
What should his YPC be ?
What should his QBR be ?

Answer those questions

OR

Admit that you are wrong about his performance to date

thanks
Man, you gotta chill with the insults!

first you say I know nothing about football.

Now you say I have a problem with reading and comprehension.

Let’s just keep our interactions football related. Zero reasons to insult me.

You absolutely compared Pyne to Montana, Kizer and Brady. You are saying his stats are just as good. That proves that stats don’t mean crap. Mentioning Pyne and those NFL QBs in the same breath is ridiculous.

You keep asking me to give you stats. Why? Pyne has thrown the ball 66 times. Who cares what his stats are.

Comp% with nothing but short passes means nothing.

Tanner Morgan Minnesota has a better completion average than Stroud. Is Tanner better? Nope!

Your stats mean nothing.

Funny, if TB didn’t get hurt we wouldn’t even be talking about Pyne. Why? Because he is a bench player and that’s it.

Me filling in your stats sheet means nothing.

Marshall’s QB also has a higher comp rating than Stroud, who would you rather have???

I'm trying to remember the last time a ND QB came off the bench to rescue his team and was as successful as Drew Pyne. None come to mind, except maybe MacDougal.

And morons on this board come out and literally label him "bad". The stupidity is off the charts.
Tommy did it a lot with Golson. Book for BW also.

Yup, Pyne is not a good QB. How did he do when he came in against Marshall? Oops, we don’t wanna talk about that do we.

Let’s just talk about how great he looked against the 125th defense.

Ian Book, Deshone Kizer

I am amazed at just how often teams completely whiff on recruiting the QB position, both college and pro. At the NFL level Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell are cautionary tales most every football fan is familiar with. (And as a Bears fan, Mitch Trubisky immediately comes to mind.)

At the college level another case in point is an article appearing today on the ESPN website about Will Levis, the QB at Kentucky. Virtually no major college gave him a serious look coming out of HS. Levis finally got an offer at PSU, but only after PSU lost out on the Justin Fields sweepstakes. When he got to PSU, Levis redshirted his freshman year and then realized he was only going to hold the clipboard for Sean Clifford, so he decided to go into the transfer portal and ended up at Kentucky, where he is now lighting it up. The ESPN story quotes various NFL guys who think Levis may very likely be the top QB (and maybe even the No. 1 pick) in next year's NFL draft. Levis is 6'3" and weighs 225 lbs. He is a bruising runner and has a hose for an arm. (There is a video of him down on two knees at midfield, tossing the ball toward the end zone and hitting the crossbar on the goalpost. That is some impressive arm strength.) I caught a little bit of Kentucky's opener against Miami of Ohio and he got my attention. I wonder if James Franklin will be asking himself at season's end, "How did we ever let Will Levis slip away?"

Kentucky (No. 7) plays Ole Miss (No. 14) this weekend. Should be a good test for Levis. If you haven't seen Levis play, you may want to tune in.

Tommy did it a lot with Golson. Book for BW also.

Yup, Pyne is not a good QB. How did he do when he came in against Marshall? Oops, we don’t wanna talk about that do we.

Let’s just talk about how great he looked against the 125th defense.
Golson was on the bench when Tommy came in, not in a cast like Buchner. BW sucked, so he was benched for Book.

Drew came in when the season ended for the starter, and lead the team to wins. He has BIG STEEL BALLS. Those will take him far in life. But there will always be little folks like you whining from the sidelines.

Seen it all my life.

A guy named Joe Montana was also pretty good at coming off the bench and snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.
Joe was before my time. Kizer was named starter and played one year then left for an unsuccessful NFL career. Book took over for Wimbush because he sucked.

I'll bet a lot of fans cried and whined about Joe when he took over. "We need a better QB, this guy sucks." I know we heard it constantly about Book. And still do.

Drew came in because the starter was broken into pieces and is out for the year. He has no backup.

BALLS OF STEEL.

Last edited:
I am amazed at just how often teams completely whiff on recruiting the QB position, both college and pro. At the NFL level Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell are cautionary tales most every football fan is familiar with. (And as a Bears fan, Mitch Trubisky immediately comes to mind.)

At the college level another case in point is an article appearing today on the ESPN website about Will Levis, the QB at Kentucky. Virtually no major college gave him a serious look coming out of HS. Levis finally got an offer at PSU, but only after PSU lost out on the Justin Fields sweepstakes. When he got to PSU, Levis redshirted his freshman year and then realized he was only going to hold the clipboard for Sean Clifford, so he decided to go into the transfer portal and ended up at Kentucky, where he is now lighting it up. The ESPN story quotes various NFL guys who think Levis may very likely be the top QB (and maybe even the No. 1 pick) in next year's NFL draft. Levis is 6'3" and weighs 225 lbs. He is a bruising runner and has a hose for an arm. (There is a video of him down on two knees at midfield, tossing the ball toward the end zone and hitting the crossbar on the goalpost. That is some impressive arm strength.) I caught a little bit of Kentucky's opener against Miami of Ohio and he got my attention. I wonder if James Franklin will be asking himself at season's end, "How did we ever let Will Levis slip away?"

Kentucky (No. 7) plays Ole Miss (No. 14) this weekend. Should be a good test for Levis. If you haven't seen Levis play, you may want to tune in.
That was similar to Kelly choosing Book over Jurkovec. He went with the older and more experienced, but probably less talented guy. But like Book, Clifford's a pretty good QB, too, although not a big NFL prospect.

Although now they also have Allar, who looks like a future 1st round pick, too. So they'll be fine at QB in the future.

Golson was on the bench when Tommy came in, not in a cast like Buchner. BW sucked, so he was benched for Book.

Drew came in when the season ended for the starter, and lead the team to wins. He has BIG STEEL BALLS. Those will take him far in life. But there will always be little folks like you whining from the sidelines.

Seen it all my life.
It doesn’t matter why the second string quarterback comes in.

I believe Golsom had a concussion one of those times.

BW is better than Pyne.

also you say he has balls of steel??? Are you kidding me he was scared to death his first start against Cal

even the announcers were saying the weight of this of the world is on his shoulders. He looked scared to death that is why Tommy had a scream at him and cuss at him to get it together. He was scared to death when he came in against Marshall and threw that interception.

He open the game last week with two balls getting thrown back into his face balls of steel?

BW is better than Pyne.

also you say he has balls of steel??? Are you kidding me he was scared to death his first start against Cal

even the announcers were saying the weight of this of the world is on his shoulders. He looked scared to death that is why Tommy had a scream at him and cuss at him to get it together. He was scared to death when he came in against Marshall and threw that interception.

He open the game last week with two balls getting thrown back into his face balls of steel?
From your QB couch it no doubt looks easy. But yeah, balls of steel. Especially after getting 2 balls thrown back in his face.

BW is better than Pyne.

In what way did he look scared to death ?

What facial features did you observe that would lead you to conclude that he was scared to death ?

Last edited:
Notre Dame needs to set up a parallel academic stream for Football players if we want to compete. I have not said this in the past pre transfer portal but now it is obvious if you cannot bring in 2nd or 3rd year transfers to plug holes are upgrade you are doomed to mediocrity. It was one thing for the Bama's of the world to bring in Juco players...who were now men...it is another to bring in starters from other D1 teams and plug them in.
It already exists. That’s what the film and tv major is for and several of the star players have opted for it

Montana, he was literally 3rd on the depth chart, but you may be too young to remember that. 😂

From your QB couch it no doubt looks easy. But yeah, balls of steel. Especially after getting 2 balls thrown back in his face.
Vs Cal when he threw the 7 yard swing pass into the ground. All nerves

Every play before Tommy ripped him a new one on the phone. I could go on but I Digress.

Vs Cal when he threw the 7 yard swing pass into the ground. All nerves

Every play before Tommy ripped him a new one on the phone. I could go on but I Digress.
vs Cal?
17/23 2TD 0 INT and a 157 QB rating?
1-0

It's a lot easier from your couch.

Reactions: mbd11
vs Cal?
17/23 2TD 0 INT and a 157 QB rating?
1-0

It's a lot easier from your couch.
Let’s be honest, if Pyne played for BYU, and BYU’s QB Played for Notre Dame we would be pretty happy as Notre Dame fans.

The Notre Dame football standards are so low that Notre Dame fans are getting excited about a quarterback throwing the ball 23 times against an average team and then beating one of the worst defenses in the country and we are sitting here acting like we have a Heisman Trophy candidate at quarterback.

Guys, the guy was a back up quarterback every day of his life at Notre Dame he’s only the starter because the starter is out for the season. The guy is not a good quarterback. When he plays against a legitimate defense and all we can do our 7 yard outs you will see how bad this guy really is.

Without fully looking at the rest of the quarterbacks Notre Dame will face this season, I guarantee every single one of them is better than Drew Pyne.

Last edited:
Let’s be honest, if Pyne played for BYU, ND and BYU’s QB Played for Notre Dame we would be pretty happy as Notre Dame fans.

The Notre Dame football standards are so low that Notre Dame fans are getting excited about a quarterback throwing the ball 23 times against an average team and then beating one of the worst defenses in the country and we are sitting here acting like we have a Heisman Trophy candidate at quarterback.

Guys, the guy was a back up quarterback every day of his life at Notre Dame he’s only the starter because the starter is out for the season. The guy is not a good quarterback. When he plays against a legitimate defense and all we can do our 7 yard outs you will see how bad this guy really is.

Without fully looking at the rest of the quarterbacks at Notre Dame will face this season, I guarantee every single one of them are better than Drew Pyne
Jack Plummer:
QBR 136.2

Drew Pyne:
QBR 159.3

You're already way wrong.

Let’s be honest, if Pyne played for BYU, ND and BYU’s QB Played for Notre Dame we would be pretty happy as Notre Dame fans.

Without fully looking at the rest of the quarterbacks at Notre Dame will face this season, I guarantee every single one of them are better than Drew Pyne
“Notre Dame’s football standards are so low …..”

What universe are you living in ?

Notre Dame has five consecutive years of 10 wins or more and that’s not good enough for Notre Dame fans who have higher standards because they’re not satisfied with 10 win seasons.

Ian Book was the winningest QB in ND history, he was subsequently drafted by the NFL and made the Saints roster.

I’m trying to think of another QB who didn’t start, who came off the bench when the starter was injured and did pretty well.

Oh yeah, his name was Tom Brady.

• Haha
Reactions: Golson5
I am too young to remember Joe, but I watched him in the pros. I'm not going to compare Drew to Joe, but it's fine if you want to. I'm just saying we need to relax, enjoy the games, and give the kid a chance.
I Agree.

Jack Plummer:
QBR 136.2

Drew Pyne:
QBR 159.3

You're already way wrong.
You guys and these stats.

Who is a better QB Grayson McCall (Coastal Carolina) I have to list his school because know one knows him or Bryce Young?

McCall 191.21
Young 172

Pyne is also ahead of DJ Uiagalelei. Who is better?

“Notre Dame’s football standards are so low …..”

What universe are you living in ?

Notre Dame has five consecutive years of 10 wins or more and that’s not good enough for Notre Dame fans who have higher standards because they’re not satisfied with 10 win seasons.

Ian Book was the winningest QB in ND history, he was subsequently drafted by the NFL and made the Saints roster.

I’m trying to think of another QB who didn’t start, who came off the bench when the starter was injured and did pretty well.

Oh yeah, his name was Tom Brady.
Again, you are comparing Pyne to a guy with 7 SB rings.

If any ND fan is excited about a QB playing well against a terrible defense, then yes the standard is low.

Those type of wins/performances should be expected, not celebrated.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Really, do they get to make like, student films and such? That'd be pretty sweet....
No idea but a couple of students /grads have commented on it. To paraphrase they’ve said the 40 not 4 story is a bit questionable for a number of the athletes. I’m not against it and it’s the only way to compete against the best. there’s 200,000 HS srs playing football and we’re selecting from the top 500 kids. that’s the first cut, academics comes next and we do our best to get kids enrolled and keep them enrolled. How many of the fb players actually flunk out? virtually none. Huge concessions are necessary and film and tv, entrepreneurship and 200 tutors is what everyone else does. Freeman’s proving we can go after almost anyone and I’m for it. But let’s stop pretending there’s so many academic hurdles. Even Stanford will let a kid in with a B avg and test scores that are 80% of avg undergrad. And Stanford admissions for football is more rigorous then ND. We’re competing regularly for the same kids that OSU, Ala, Clemson, OK, Ga, etc. are

“Exactly, Rees was the lead into Book. Slightly more mobile and slightly better”

lmao. There was no comparison between the two. “Slightly more mobile”? Lol😂

Who do I think is better? I'm a numbers guy, and according to your research, it's Drew Pyne.
So today, you would rather have Pyne than DJ because his PR is better?

Drew 159 and DJ 155. What's that a .4 difference? Like 1 or 2 more completions???

So, based on this logic, you would also take Grayson McCall 191.21 over the current Heisman trophy winner Young 172.18?

Come man, your better than that. No way in the world you would take McCall over Young.

ADVERTISEMENT