ADVERTISEMENT

Star Rankings Predict the 2017 Record

57Patrick

ND Expert
Dec 12, 2010
Many on this board look to star rankings in recruiting as a primary indicator of wins and losses. For those of you that follow the recruiting rankings to that extent, where does ND stack up over the last 5 years compared to this year's schedule? Of course you have to take into consideration filling needs too. That should provide insight as to how this year will go.

trying to use Star ranking in such a specific manner is really a wild guess.
What the star ranking can do, over a 3 class look back, is identify the legit and obvious playoff contenders.
Who believes ND is in that company?

Are you stating that the Star Rankings cannot determine which teams have the better talent level? I get that the top teams in terms of recruiting should be the playoff teams generally speaking. But shouldn't the most talented teams also be the ones that should win the games over teams that aren't as talented? This doesn't always happen obviously. Navy beats ND and they absolutely don't have as much athletic talent as the Irish. But talent level certainly should be an indicator. My guess is only GA, USC and possible Miami FL recruits year in and year out at the level or above to ND. Right?

this years schedule: yes, USC, UGA, Mia (historically, but not recently) and I would add Stanford.
Stanford does not get a highly ranked class but has done an excellent job getting elite players at key positions. Superstars are the players for the big moments. SU has had a few in recent years.

There are always upsets, each season.

ADVERTISEMENT