ADVERTISEMENT

Stage is set for Freeman again

Airzee23

Irish Expert
Jan 26, 2022
I’m being biased but I think ND beats SC. We officially find our big game W head coach. Kelly just couldn’t do it here. Too tight. Freeman is a loose players coach.

Reactions: Kelso86 and NDinNJ
100% did BK ever beat/face a Top 10 Trojan team? Wonder how many of the 11 games USC was even ranked? I do remember that 2015 20 point shellacking

He beat one of their Rose Bowl teams by about 50 if memory serves

This SC team is better than probably all but one team Kelly Beat

USC was never really competitive during the Kelly era.

100% did BK ever beat/face a Top 10 Trojan team? Wonder how many of the 11 games USC was even ranked? I do remember that 2014 35 point shellacking
Looks like Kelly never beat Steve Sarkisian, although Weis did.

No one remembers that Helton's 2017 Trojans won the PAC and went to the Cotton Bowl. Probably because of the results of that Cotton Bowl and the subsequent season opener.

GUYS, IN CASE YOU WEREN’T AWARE OF IT, KELLY IS GONE !

HE’S NO LONGER AT ND.

GET OVER YOUR FIXATION !

THIS IS FREEMAN’S TEAM TO WIN OR LOSE WITH !
Cheer Wtf GIF by NETFLIX

Reactions: Golson5
I think ND can win. They have to do what they do best. Run the ball. Play good defense and maybe get a special teams help. SC has a lot to play for. Quite possibly a playoff spot. It won’t be easy that’s for sure. Williams is a game changing QB. ND has to find a way to keep him limited as much as possible. It’s a very intriguing matchup. SC has a high powered offense. ND is more physical and run oriented. I think the best chance for ND is to keep the SC offense off the field. Also regardless of what happens, have to give props to MF and the coaches for salvaging a season that started out not so good.

Actually 97-2001 were pretty dark.
But, talent was there until Helton/Haden duo just destroyed recruiting. What makes SC period up till 2021 so dire was the dissipation of talent and loss of recruiting prestige and connections; that has a long term effect.

The series has not been nothing but one team dominating
72-82 ND only won twice 73 & 77 but both seasons ended in National Titles
83-95 ND won every game other than a tie in 1994
96-98 USC 3 in a row
99-01 ND 3 in a row
02-09 USC 8 in a row
09-21 ND and Kelly won 8 out of 11 and currently 4 in a row
22 to???????????????????????

Kelly wants to shop in a different aisle so he can amend that stink on his resume like Ed O and Les Miles.
Absolutely - pathetic overall record of being the winningest coach in college football, and a winning record everywhere he coached....:rolleyes: If you are only going to recognize/appreciate coaches that have won natty's, you've got some high expectations friend.........

Looks like Kelly never beat Steve Sarkisian, although Weis did.

No one remembers that Helton's 2017 Trojans won the PAC and went to the Cotton Bowl. Probably because of the results of that Cotton Bowl and the subsequent season opener.
"Looks like Kelly never beat Steve Sarkisian, although Weis did"

Kelly was 1-1 vs Sark, Weis was 1-0 vs Sark while at ND

I think ND can win. They have to do what they do best. Run the ball. Play good defense and maybe get a special teams help. SC has a lot to play for. Quite possibly a playoff spot. It won’t be easy that’s for sure. Williams is a game changing QB. ND has to find a way to keep him limited as much as possible. It’s a very intriguing matchup. SC has a high powered offense. ND is more physical and run oriented. I think the best chance for ND is to keep the SC offense off the field. Also regardless of what happens, have to give props to MF and the coaches for salvaging a season that started out not so good.
Agreed! It’s a great time to practice a lot of rugby style scrum running attack.

USC’s lines need to be sucking for oxygen by the middle of the 3rd or else their lines have greatly over performed expectations.
I’m envisioning a 28-21 type score with, obviously, Notre Dame winning.

Reactions: Kelso86
Absolutely - pathetic overall record of being the winningest coach in college football, and a winning record everywhere he coached....:rolleyes: If you are only going to recognize/appreciate coaches that have won natty's, you've got some high expectations friend.........
Those are not "high expectations" they are the delusional rantings of snowflakes, who needed "gentle parenting" from Brian Kelly.

The folks in LSU are learning the benefit of having an adult in charge of a program, not a middle aged frat boy, who stumbled upon Joe Brady, Dave Aranda and Joe Burrow.

It took Marcus Freeman and a 3-3 record to channel is inner Brian Kelly, by stressing it takes effort and performance in practice to see the field, and the "winning is hard" mentality to turn the corner.

If Marcus Freeman blends his personality, into the Kelly Way. He and ND will be wildly successful.

And since LSU is currently #5 in the CFP rankings, and SEC West champions, year 1 of a rebuild. We know BK is already wildly successful. It is weird Kelly and Freeman have nothing but good things to say about each other, But the children on here, especially the soyboy from NJ, act like teen girls, whose daddy could not get them Taylor Swift tickets.

Reactions: HRC08 and graceh90
USC averaged just shy of 5 losses a year during BK's time. Not really a juggernaut of football. BK missed the Pete years when they dominated us and would have BK as well, just like the rest of the top 10 dominated BK.

USC averaged just shy of 5 losses a year during BK's time. Not really a juggernaut of football. BK missed the Pete years when they dominated us and would have BK as well, just like the rest of the top 10 dominated BK.
Nick Saban certainly shit the bed against Brian Kelly a couple of weeks ago, didn’t he.

Nick Saban certainly shit the bed against Brian Kelly a couple of weeks ago, didn’t he.

I think this was about USC, not Bama or BK. USC was not a top 25 team often over the last 10 years prior to Lincoln. A few times, yes, but not often.

Was USC ever a top 10 team in the last 10 years when we faced them? I don't know.

Yes, LSU got a 1 pt win over Nick on a 2pt conversion. I dont know that I would call that shitting the bed, but yea it was a good win for a team and coach I could give 2 shits about.

Reactions: tbonesays
I looked it up. During BK's time, USC was ranked 6 times, once in the to 10.
100% did BK ever beat/face a Top 10 Trojan team? Wonder how many of the 11 games USC was even ranked? I do remember that 2014 35 point shellacking

No, during BK's time the highest they were ranked at meeting was 11th. 2017. ND won.

The only other time they were ranked was 2016, 12th, ND lost by 19.

In 11 seasons, twice they were ranked in the top 25. Never top 10. BK was 1-1 against those ranked teams.

MF will face them at their highest point.

Those are not "high expectations" they are the delusional rantings of snowflakes, who needed "gentle parenting" from Brian Kelly.

The folks in LSU are learning the benefit of having an adult in charge of a program, not a middle aged frat boy, who stumbled upon Joe Brady, Dave Aranda and Joe Burrow.

It took Marcus Freeman and a 3-3 record to channel is inner Brian Kelly, by stressing it takes effort and performance in practice to see the field, and the "winning is hard" mentality to turn the corner.

If Marcus Freeman blends his personality, into the Kelly Way. He and ND will be wildly successful.

And since LSU is currently #5 in the CFP rankings, and SEC West champions, year 1 of a rebuild. We know BK is already wildly successful. It is weird Kelly and Freeman have nothing but good things to say about each other, But the children on here, especially the soyboy from NJ, act like teen girls, whose daddy could not get them Taylor Swift tickets.
If MF tries to be someone he is not, he will fail

If MF is only as successful as Kelly was here, he will be a failure here

I think he will be himself and channel his inner Marcus Freeman and outdo what BK did here

Go Irish

He beat one of their Rose Bowl teams by about 50 if memory serves
Here’s the deets on BK vs the Top 10, not pretty with sole Top 5 win coming in 3OT against a Trevor Lawrence less Clemson team that smoked them a month later.

4- 11 Top 10

1-6 Top 5

@ #4 Stanford 14-28 L

#10 MSU 30-3 W

#8 OU 13-6 W

#8 Stanford 20-27 L

#2 FSU 27-31 L

#11 ASU 31-55 L

#7 Oh St 44-28 L

#7 Miami 8-41 L

#7 Stanford 38-17 W

#2 Clemson 30-3 L

#3 UGA 17-23 L

#1 Clemson 47-40 W

# 4 Clemson 10-34 L

#1 Alabama 14-31 L

#7 Cincinnati 13-23 L

Here’s the deets on BK vs the Top 10, not pretty with sole Top 5 win coming in 3OT against a Trevor Lawrence less Clemson team that smoked them a month later.

4- 11 Top 10

1-6 Top 5

@ #4 Stanford 14-28 L

#10 MSU 30-3 W

#8 OU 13-6 W

#8 Stanford 20-27 L

#2 FSU 27-31 L

#11 ASU 31-55 L

#7 Oh St 44-28 L

#7 Miami 8-41 L

#7 Stanford 38-17 W

#2 Clemson 30-3 L

#3 UGA 17-23 L

#1 Clemson 47-40 W

# 4 Clemson 10-34 L

#1 Alabama 14-31 L

#7 Cincinnati 13-23 L
Ouch!

Outstanding post.

Calling yourself a “players coach...” and then losing at home to Marshall and Stanford, and looking awful at home against Cal and UNLV, no doubt caused Marcus Freeman to take a long long look in the mirror.

I think this was about USC, not Bama or BK. USC was not a top 25 team often over the last 10 years prior to Lincoln. A few times, yes, but not often.

Was USC ever a top 10 team in the last 10 years when we faced them? I don't know.

Yes, LSU got a 1 pt win over Nick on a 2pt conversion. I dont know that I would call that shitting the bed, but yea it was a good win for a team and coach I could give 2 shits about.
2017? 2015 2016? Maybe

Freeman’s an adult and like Kelly, realizes that his true job is that of “Administrator.” I agree with you that BK’s genius was that of a “teacher” and that Freeman knows that as well. However Freeman also has a higher ceiling in being able to attain elite skilled football players. That coupled with ND’s ability to attain elite “power” football players is the potential Unicorn that made the Freeman hire impossible to not try.

Who else but MF can get ND those 4-6 players that separate college football from Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and Georgia each and every season now for a decade. We had to try for the Grand Slam.

Freeman’s an adult and like Kelly, realizes that his true job is that of “Administrator.” I agree with you that BK’s genius was that of a “teacher” and that Freeman knows that as well. However Freeman also has a higher ceiling in being able to attain elite skilled football players. That coupled with ND’s ability to attain elite “power” football players is the potential Unicorn that made the Freeman hire impossible to not try.

Who else but MF can get ND those 4-6 players that separate college football from Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and Georgia each and every season now for a decade. We had to try for the Grand Slam.
The challenge is twofold.
1. Recruiting the top players
2. Then coaching them at the highest level once you get them.

Individually, both tasks are a significant challenge, collectively the challenge is exponentially more difficult!

Reactions: HRC08
ADVERTISEMENT