ADVERTISEMENT

Spring QB derby!

savvyandsassier

All Star
Dec 16, 2013
Alright.... spring football's almost over, and we don't have Book's replacement yet. BK did mention in passing that there isn't going to be a starter named this soon, which is to be expected, and quite frankly is entirely appropriate. Nevertheless we can take stock of how things have developed thus far with the limited bits and snippets we have to work with.

JACK COAN - I still say he's the total odds-on guy to be named the starter, and not least because it's much more convenient for the program if he does. It certainly makes things easier as far as long-term prospects as Coan can step in and have a great year as a grad transfer, a la Nick McCloud and Ben Skowronek, and then next time around Buchner and Pyne can duke it out. And it looks like Coan has pretty seamlessly fit in and seems to look good enough in the clips and footage we get.

DREW PYNE - The obvious wildcard as some fans seem to think he's looked even better than Coan, and aside from his very diminutive size, he was a top prospect. And it would be no shock for him to emerge as the best option. I have my own little theories as to why a QB so small could end up struggling at the P5 level, but if he were to win the job and establish himself as the guy, that would be fantastic in one sense, and we might have another excellent QB on our hands. But what happens to Buchner?

TYLER BUCHNER - He's looked pretty good too, I suppose, though it doesn't appear he's in the running at all, and that's the strong vibe you get. Which is a relief. He certainly hasn't looked that great, and to be fair he is not a Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence who's going to overwhelm you with undeniable raw tools. He probably wouldn't even be seriously in the running even without covid, but the fact that Buchner's lack of a HS sr season has precluded any chance of it has it's upside. And we can just nip that in bud!

BRENDON CLARK - It's too bad for BC with his nagging injury issues, but I suppose that's just how it goes. Even if he was fully healthy maybe he'd still only be 3rd in the running, but he's really behind the eight ball now. And with the trasnfer rules now fully liberalized, everything's all set up for him to seek greener pastures if he so desires. I hope he stays and gives it at least one more year. He could always start next season, and compete to replace Jack Coan. And of course if he's on the 3-year graduation track he can get his ND diploma that way too. I hope he stays.

RON POWLUS JR - Legacy, baby! LEGACY!!! Seriously, though.... Powlus is currently no more than an afterthought. But you want to talk wildcards, he's definitely got enough size and arm. I could see Powlus dutifully carrying a clipboard, graduating in three years, and then grad-transferring himself into a starting job, maybe at one the numerous MAC colleges. Definitely getting his ND degree in any case, and being in it for that much of the long haul.

So I'm still going Jack Coan, but the prospect of Pyne being the guy and getting the call in week one vs Florida St. is growing on me!

Reactions: IrishMike409
Alright.... spring football's almost over, and we don't have Book's replacement yet. BK did mention in passing that there isn't going to be a starter named this soon, which is to be expected, and quite frankly is entirely appropriate. Nevertheless we can take stock of how things have developed thus far with the limited bits and snippets we have to work with.

JACK COAN - I still say he's the total odds-on guy to be named the starter, and not least because it's much more convenient for the program if he does. It certainly makes things easier as far as long-term prospects as Coan can step in and have a great year as a grad transfer, a la Nick McCloud and Ben Skowronek, and then next time around Buchner and Pyne can duke it out. And it looks like Coan has pretty seamlessly fit in and seems to look good enough in the clips and footage we get.

DREW PYNE - The obvious wildcard as some fans seem to think he's looked even better than Coan, and aside from his very diminutive size, he was a top prospect. And it would be no shock for him to emerge as the best option. I have my own little theories as to why a QB so small could end up struggling at the P5 level, but if he were to win the job and establish himself as the guy, that would be fantastic in one sense, and we might have another excellent QB on our hands. But what happens to Buchner?

TYLER BUCHNER - He's looked pretty good too, I suppose, though it doesn't appear he's in the running at all, and that's the strong vibe you get. Which is a relief. He certainly hasn't looked that great, and to be fair he is not a Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence who's going to overwhelm you with undeniable raw tools. He probably wouldn't even be seriously in the running even without covid, but the fact that Buchner's lack of a HS sr season has precluded any chance of it has it's upside. And we can just nip that in bud!

BRENDON CLARK - It's too bad for BC with his nagging injury issues, but I suppose that's just how it goes. Even if he was fully healthy maybe he'd still only be 3rd in the running, but he's really behind the eight ball now. And with the trasnfer rules now fully liberalized, everything's all set up for him to seek greener pastures if he so desires. I hope he stays and gives it at least one more year. He could always start next season, and compete to replace Jack Coan. And of course if he's on the 3-year graduation track he can get his ND diploma that way too. I hope he stays.

RON POWLUS JR - Legacy, baby! LEGACY!!! Seriously, though.... Powlus is currently no more than an afterthought. But you want to talk wildcards, he's definitely got enough size and arm. I could see Powlus dutifully carrying a clipboard, graduating in three years, and then grad-transferring himself into a starting job, maybe at one the numerous MAC colleges. Definitely getting his ND degree in any case, and being in it for that much of the long haul.

So I'm still going Jack Coan, but the prospect of Pyne being the guy and getting the call in week one vs Florida St. is growing on me!

Could you imagine the meltdown this board would have if Pyne wins the starting QB job this year or next and Buchner transfers? Currently Pyne and Buchner are the same year of eligibility but that could change depending on who gets reps this year during the season.

I say Coan because of experience and leadership. Pyne has proven to be a competitor though and will push Coan all year or step in if he falters.

One thing that I wonder is if Coan does really well but not NFL well, will he play another year.

Alright.... spring football's almost over, and we don't have Book's replacement yet. BK did mention in passing that there isn't going to be a starter named this soon, which is to be expected, and quite frankly is entirely appropriate. Nevertheless we can take stock of how things have developed thus far with the limited bits and snippets we have

to work with.

COAN will win starting job and by game two he will have 3 ints. And will not be able to move the team. Enter drew Pyne who will be the starter

Last edited:
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Pyne ended up the year as the starter.
I would think Pyne, Buchner, or both get a start this year, so one of them aren't making their first start of 2022 season at the horseshoe.

One of the kids will start, but Coan will get plenty of time. I would guess Kelly will bring in the QB like he did EG, with Coan playing the role of TR.

The first 20 or 30 minutes of being the starting QB opening day for ND is a lot for a kid to handle. Some handle it better than others. The special ones seem to excel in it. Whoever it is it has always been and always will be fun to watch. I’m looking forward to it.

We could have another scenario where both Clark and Pyne transfer leaving by ND with Coan, Buckner, Paulus, and a true freshman. At some point in time Buckner is going to start from what I saw today. Coan could play some place else next year.
Maybe, BK does not name a starter because he is afraid of transfers. I believe Clark can get a med year out of it

We could have another scenario where both Clark and Pyne transfer leaving by ND with Coan, Buckner, Paulus, and a true freshman. At some point in time Buckner is going to start from what I saw today. Coan could play some place else next year.
Maybe, BK does not name a starter because he is afraid of transfers. I believe Clark can get a med year out of it
Well, that's my little prediction for the future of the position. And it's hardly a stretch and a pretty easy scenario to envision. Coan starts in '21, and Buchner wins the job next spring and starts for either three or four years.

But that scenario while very nice and tidy, it counts on Coan being good enough to nail down the spot for '21. If he's good enough, and the team is winning enough and the offense is scoring enough... But if not, that's when things could get sticky.

And let's not forget spring football is not the end all be all when it comes to who's going to become new starters at now-vacant positions. Maybe Brendon Clark will totally win the job over the summer and fall. Not likely, but who knows, I suppose it is pretty wide open. That was another nice thing about Ian Book. That the QB position was not a position of controversy. And it was in rock-solid, dependable hands.....

Reactions: IrishMike409
Tyler Buchner gave us a good glimpse of what he can do today. Corey Robinson raved about his fast easy throwing motion. It was nice to watch. His accuracy was good. He ran well. His arm is stronger than Pyne's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT