ADVERTISEMENT

Some Tough Love A Day Later

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
We all need it (me included) at times. There are a lot of people that are upset not that ND lost, but that they weren't close to as competitive as they needed to be, especially on offense. We had significant warning signs against Pittsburgh and USC, that anytime ND had to face athletes that could hit and cover, it was going to be tough sledding.

I listened to Brian Kelly's post game press conference... I'm sorry Brian, you can't actually believe what you told the media. His entire press conference surrounded the idea that ND lost because they gave up 4 big plays on defense and that it was because Julian Love got hurt. He kept referencing that point over and over, as if it was scheme problem...

Brian, here is a ****ing news flash that you desperately need to understand...

1. You scored 3 points on offense. 3 points. your quarterback was terrible. Your wide receivers were terrible. Your poorly coached offensive line gave up 6 sacks and left Ian running for his life on a multitude of other plays. In no conceivable world can you blame a loss on a defense that has carried your ass all season, when you score 3 points. Anybody who thinks that it's ok for Kelly to make that argument, is a loser. Did you expect to win the game 3-0 Brian?

2. The reason Clemson made those plays that other teams haven't against you all season, is because they have 5 star players that are better than your players... I'll say it again, slowly... They... Are... Better.. Than... Your... Guys... Brian". How in the world would Julian Love being in the game stop Alohi Gilman from being too slow to run with Justyn Ross in the seem for a touchdown. That happened. That's real life. How could have Donte Vaughn played the touchdown that he batted away, only to have Tee Higgins, a 5 star player, make a 5 star catch, any better? Julian Love makes the same play (if he's even tall enough to get a hand on it) and Higgins still makes a wonderful 5 star catch. Just like the wonderful 5 star catch Terry Godwin made against Julian Love in the Georgia game last year. That score was the difference in that game too. They have the players to make those catches Brian, it's not a scheme problem... It's a talent issue. Even if Julian Love is in that game, he saves ND maybe 7-10 points... Clemson doesn't pull their starters in the 3rd quarter and you still get eviscerated. Time to wake up Brian.

Continued in the post below...

Last edited:
So everybody wants to bitch and moan, but you want some actual solutions to start shrinking the gap?... Here are two.

1. Jack Swarbrick, you have to ****ing pay people. You operate one of the richest programs in the country, but you have no problem allowing an elite coordinator / recruiter to leave for a better situation. Unless Notre Dame is willing to pay highest rates to assistant coaches in the country and attract the best assistants in the business, guys that should be head coaches at lesser schools (Brett Venables) but who are coordinators at your school because you backed a Brinks truck up into their yard, you're NEVER going to overcome the talent gap through coaching and development... Because the schools that have more talent than you, have better, higher paid coaches than you as well. That's the simple truth. You need an elite coach / recruiter at every coaching position. You can't have 3-4 good assistants, and a bunch of middle of the road guys.

2. This is the most important thing that should be taken away from this post and the conversation that needs to be had with the following assistants.

- Autry Denson should be fired. I don't care how productive your running backs have been. I really don't. Look around America, there are 20+ running backs coaches whose backs produce just like yours do. Anybody who has every spent a second coaching football knows that it's the easiest position on the field to coach. There are 20+ other guys in a America that coach the running back position every bit as well as Autry Denson and half of them do it without the offensive line talent that Notre Dame has (which I'll get to in a second). It comes down to this, if you're not an elite recruiter, you receive your pink slip tomorrow... Autry Denson is responsible for recruiting South Georgia and Florida, the most talent rich region in the country. Who the **** made that decision? He's a horrendous recruiter. One of the worst at a major school, nationally... And he's responsible for the most competitive region in the country!? ND needs a savage in that region. A guy that not only lands top running backs, but a guy who recruits top talent at other positions as well.

I'm sorry Autry, you're a decent RB coach and a bad recruiter. I'm going to find a guy who is a dog recruiting Florida speed and can coach running backs. You're fired.

- Jeff Quinn should be fired. Your offensive line is terrible. It was mediocre all year. You gave up 6 sacks yesterday and it could have been 10 if Ian Book didn't scramble like crazy. Ian Book was running for his life against Pittsburgh for **** sakes. He was running for his life against USC. They couldn't get push against Ball State. Let that sink in for a moment. You did a terrible job not only on the field, but in a stellar year along the offensive line, after ND has put 4 OL in the first round of the NFL Draft in the last 5 years, and won the Joe Moore award last year, you failed to land a single top 100 recruit on the offensive line, let alone a 5 star. You allowed 5 star offensive linemen to go to schools where they will be wasted, instead of coming to Notre Dame to play for OL U.

I'm sorry Jeff, you're offensive line pales in comparison to Clemson's, Alabama's, Oklahoma's and Georgia's and you've proven that you can't recruit the monsters go to other schools. You can land 275lb undersized guys, but the truly elite guys, the ready made guys that will be 320lbs athletes as sophomores, don't want to play for you. You're fired.

- Brian Polian, your special teams are average at best and terrible at worst. We saw zero improvement from your units throughout the season, but more importantly, since you took over as recruiting coordinator, ND has landed 1, 5 star prospect. The last player of that level that you personally recruited was Manti Te'o, in 2007, 11 years ago. You've landed absolutely nobody that matters relative to winning a championship since then. You're known to be some "guru" on the West Coast in recruiting. With USC and UCLA in the tank, and Stanford on the decline; the worst they've been in years, you can't pull a single top recruit out of California. Not a single difference maker... Seriously... Not one. How is that even possible with the amount of resources ND spends maintaining a yearly fingerprint in LA?

I'm sorry Brian, your special teams are average and you can't pull a single top 100 4 star, or 5 star out of California, while Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, Oregon, Washington and Clemson can. Their recruiter is out recruiting you and for that reason, have a happy new years, but please clean out your desk. You're fired.

- Del Alexander, your wide receivers are the definition of average. They drop way too many passes (2nd year in a row) and you refuse to play the young guys over the old guys when they **** up or give poor effort. The same bullshit every year. No accountability whatsoever, and since Mike Denbrock left, not a single wide receiver has flourished into an All American caliber player under your watch. Furthermore, the only top 100 receiver you've landed since you got here is Kevin Austin. Why? Explain yourself? Why can't you out recruit teams like Michigan at wide receiver? Why can't you recruit along the lines of Oklahoma? I'm not asking you to recruit like Alabama and Clemson do, because I'm not naïve. But even among your peers you're an average recruiter. You're a West Coast guy, played wide receiver at USC, have ties to LA, and they have 5-7 top 100 WRs each year in California. You can't land one?

I'm sorry Del, Notre Dame is not a place for average and that's what our receivers have been since you got here, as has your recruiting, save Kevin Austin. Why did we hire a USC guy? You're fired.

- Tommy Rees. Congratulations for winning the QB coach of the year award tutoring a kid who is capable, but is limited in his ability make throws downfield. Nice job with development, please continue to do a good job with him... Now let's get serious for a second. If Notre Dame is ever going to win a national championship, did you see the three other guys that were in the playoffs? Lawrence, Murray and Tua?... That's what the Notre Dame quarterback needs to look like in terms of arm talent. You already signed a kid this year that was an afterthought and can't throw like that, let's make sure that Jurkovec keeps developing and that we evaluate Drew Pyne. If he can't make throws like Murray or Lawrence, pull his scholarship and lets land a kid who can. In terms of 2021, you have one job. Land a top 5 quarterback that can make all the throws, or find a new job.

Tommy Rees, you're on notice, not because you did a bad job coaching, but because you're not getting it done on the recruiting trail. You have one more year to fix that relative to 2021.

- Chip Long. Continue to develop as an offensive coordinator and land somebody of substance on the recruiting trail, outside of a white tight end that ND can land yearly, with or without you, or you're fired. Nothing more needs to be said.

Chip long, you're on notice, Just as Tommy Rees is. I want you to spend no fewer than 100 hours per week recruiting until spring practice. You have one more year.

- Clark Lea, I have no problem with your coaching. You did a damn fine job this year in your first go around. But you have some explaining to do. Last year Mike Elko landed 5 top 150 players on the defensive side of the ball, coming off a 4-8 season, when Notre Dame had no momentum. This year you only landed 3 top 150 players on defense (1 top 100) coming off of a 10-3 season in which ND built a lot more momentum and recruits were listening. Why?... Why did your former boss out recruit you coming off the worst season ND's faced since 2009, when you had a much, much better situation to recruit from the following year?

Clark Lea, keep up the good work coaching, but if you don't match or surpass Mike Elko as a recruiter in the next two cycles, you'll be finding a new job. Not a threat, just a stern warning. Have a great New Years, take a couple days off and get ready to come back to work in January and prepare to put in 100 hours per week recruiting with your friend, Chip Long.

Lastly, a public service announcement to all ND assistant coaches. You get paid a bundle of cash. The new expectation of you is that you will slave for that cash. Each of you will work 100 hours per week in recruiting until spring. That leaves you 68 hours per week to sleep. Get 6 hours per night and you have 26 hours per week to spend awake with your families. I'm going to work the same schedule. We're going to fix this. It starts with recruiting and it starts next week. Rest up. Turn your phone off. I don't want to talk to you for the next few days. Right now I need to go hire a running back coach who is on board with the plan, a wide receiver coach that is on board with the plan, and a special teams coordinator that is on board with the plan... By the way, Terry Joseph, you're now the recruiting coordinator (because you're a damn good recruiter) and I'm getting you a raise to 1.5 million per year. You will land a top 8 class next year and you will be responsible for no fewer than 2, 5 star, and 6 top 100 recruits, coming off our playoff run and undefeated regular season.

Happy New Years Boys!

Last edited:
Disagree about Long -- he failed miserably yesterday. Had no plan.

Question: how come Kelly's teams can be so competitive vs. Clemson/Georgia during the regular season -- (yes, we lost both of those games but both went down to the last series and we were far from embarrassed) -- and completely fail in the two Championship (series games?) I don't get it. We are playing with the same players in the regular season!

Reactions: Leahylads
So everybody wants to bitch and moan, but you want some actual solutions to start shrinking the gap?... Here are two.

1. Jack Swarbrick, you have to ****ing pay people. You operate one of the riches programs in the country, but you have no problem allowing an elite coordinator / recruiter leave for a better situation. Unless Notre Dame is willing to pay highest rates to assistant coaches in the country and attract the best assistants in the business, guys that should be head coaches at lesser schools (Brett Venables) but who are coordinators at your school because you backed a Brinks truck up into their yard, you're NEVER going to overcome the talent gap through coaching and development... Because the schools that have more talent than you, have better, higher paid coaches than you as well. That's to simple truth. You need an elite coach / recruiter at every coaching position. You can't have 3-4 good assistants, and a bunch of middle of the road guys.

2. This is the most important thing that should be taken away from this post and the conversation that needs to be had with the following assistants.

- Autry Denson should be fired. I don't care how productive your running backs have been. I really don't. Look around America, there are 20+ running backs coaches who backs produce just like yours do. Anybody who has every spent a second coaching football knows that it's the easiest position on the field to coach. There are 20+ other guys in a America that coach the running back position every bit as well as Autry Denson and half of them do it without the offensive line talent that Notre Dame has (which I'll get to in a second). It comes down to this, if you're not an elite recruiter, you receive you pink slip tomorrow... Autry Denson is responsible for recruiting South Georgia and Florida, the most talent rich region in the country. Who the **** made that decision? He's horrendous recruiter. One of the worst at a major school, nationally. ND needs a savage in that region. A guy that not only lands top running backs, but a guy who recruits top talent at other positions as well.

I'm sorry Autry, you're a decent RB coach and a bad recruiter. I'm going to find a guy who is a dog recruiting Florida speed and can coach running backs. You're fired.

- Jeff Quinn should be fired. Your offensive line is terrible. It was mediocre all year. You gave up 6 sacks yesterday and it could have been 10 if Ian Book didn't scramble like crazy. Ian Book was running for his life against Pittsburgh for **** sakes. He was running for his life against USC. They could get push against Ball State. Let that sink in for a moment. You did a terrible job not only on the field, but in a stellar year along the offensive line, after ND has put 4 OL in the first round of the NFL Draft in the last 5 years, and won the Joe Moore award last year, you failed to land a single top 100 recruit on the offensive line, let alone 5 star. You allowed 5 star offensive linemen to go to schools where they will be wasted, instead of coming to Notre Dame to play for OL U.

I'm sorry Jeff, you're offensive line pales in comparison to Clemson's, Alabama's, Oklahoma's and Georgia's and you've proven that you can't recruit the monsters go to other schools. You can land 275lb undersized guys, but the truly elite guys don't want to play for you. You're fired.

- Brian Polian, your special teams are average at best and terrible at worst. We saw zero improvement from your units throughout the season, but more importantly, since you took over as recruiting coordinator, ND has landed 1, 5 star prospect. The last player of that level that you personally recruited was Manti Te'o, in 2007, 11 years ago. You've landed absolutely nobody that matters relative to winning a championship since then. You're known to be some "guru" on the West Coast in recruiting. With USC and UCLA in the tank, and Stanford on the decline. the worst they've been in years, you can't pull a single top recruit out of California. Not a single difference maker... Seriously... Not one. How is that even possible with the amount of resources ND spends maintaining a yearly fingerprint in LA.

I'm sorry Brian, your special teams are average and you can't pull a single top 100 4 star, or 5 star out of California, while Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama and Clemson can. Their recruiter is out recruiting you and for that reason, have a happy new years, but please clean out your desk. You're fired.

- Del Alexander, your wide receivers are the definition of average. They drop way too many passes (2nd year in a row) and you refuse to play the young guys over the old guys when they **** up or give poor effort. The same bullshit every year. No accountability whatsoever, and since Mike Denbrock left, not a single wide receiver has flourished into an All American caliber players under your watch. Furthermore, the only top 100 receiver you've landed since you got here is Kevin Austin. Why? Explain yourself? Why can't you out recruit teams like Michigan at wide receiver? Why can't you recruit along the lines of Oklahoma? I'm not asking you to recruit like Alabama and Clemson do, because I'm not naïve. But even among your peers you're an average recruiter. You're a West Coast guy, played wide receiver at USC, have ties to LA, and they have 5-7 top 100 WRs each year in California. You can't land one?

I'm sorry Del, Notre Dame is not a place for average and that's what our receivers have been since you got here, as has your recruiting, save Kevin Austin. Why did we hire a USC guy? You're fired.

- Tommy Rees. Congratulations for winning the QB coach of the year award tutoring a kid who is capable, but is limited in his ability make throws downfield. Nice job with development, please continue to do a good job with him... Now let's get serious for a second. If Notre Dame is ever going to win a national championship, did you see the three other guys that were in the playoffs? Lawrence, Murray and Tua?... That's what the Notre Dame quarterback needs to look like in terms of arm talent. You already signed a kid this year that was an afterthought and can't throw like that, let's make sure that Jurkovec keeps developing and that we evaluate Drew Pyne. If he can't make throws like Murray or Lawrence, pull his scholarship and lets land a kid who can. In terms of 2021, you have one job. Land a top 5 quarterback that can make all the throws, or find a new job.

Tommy Rees, you're on notice, not because you did a bad job coaching, but because you're not getting it done on the recruiting trail. You have one more years to fix that.

- Chip Long. Continue to develop as an offensive coordinator and land somebody of substance on the recruiting trail, outside of a white tight end that ND can land yearly, or you're fired. Nothing more needs to be said.

Chip long, you're on notice, Just as Tommy Rees is. I want you to spend no fewer than 100 hours per week recruiting until spring practice. You have one more year.

- Clark Lea, I have no problem with your coaching. You did a damn fine job this year in your first go around. But you have some explaining to do. Last year Mike Elko landed 5 top 150 players on the defensive side of the ball, coming off a 4-8 season, when Notre Dame had no momentum. This year you only landed 3 top 150 players on defense (1 top 100) coming off of a 10-3 season in which ND built a lot more momentum and recruits were listening. Why?... Why did your former boss out recruit you coming off the worst season ND's faced since 2009, when you have a much, much better situation to recruit from the following year?

Clark Lea, keep up the good work coaching, but if you don't match or surpass Mike Elko as a recruiter in the next two cycles, you'll be finding a new job. Not a threat, just a stern warning. Have a great New Years, take a couple days off and get ready to come back to work in January and prepare to put in 100 hours per week recruiting with your friend, Chip Long.

Lastly, a public service announcement to all ND assistant coaches. You get paid a bundle of cash. The new expectation of you is that you will slave for that cash. Each of you will work 100 hours per week in recruiting until spring. That leaves you 68 hours per week to sleep. Get 6 hours per night and you have 26 hours per week to spend awake with your families. I'm going to work the same schedule. We're going to fix this. It starts with recruiting and it starts next week. Rest up. Turn your phone off. I don't want to talk to you for the next few days. Right now I need to go hire a running back coach who is on board with the plan, a wide receiver coach that is on board with the plan, and a special teams coordinator that is on board with the plan... By the way, Terry Joseph, you're now the recruiting coordinator (because you're a damn good recruiter) and I'm getting you a raise to 1.5 million per year. You will land a top 8 class next year and you be responsible for no fewer than 2, 5 star, and 6 top 100 recruits, coming off our playoff run and undefeated regular season.

Happy New Years Boys!
IIO, thanks for this. I woke up with one question on my mind "where the hell do we go from here, where do we start?" I have come to realize that ND has become irrelevant and will never again win a NC. This notion that that is our annual goal is a joke, an old, tired cliche

Last edited:
IIO great post but I disagree on the online. Yesterday Book couldn't make a throw even when he got protection. Also he never got past his first reqd, it was like Wimbush was back there, first read gone, run. Also great point on the receivers they were absolutely trash, all of them.

Reactions: NIN Irish
IIO great post but I disagree on the online. Yesterday Book couldn't make a throw even when he got protection. Also he never got past his first reqd, it was like Wimbush was back there, first read gone, run. Also great point on the receivers they were absolutely trash, all of them.

6 sacks, with as many as 10+ had Ian not ran for his life, is unacceptable, regardless of the throws Ian can or cannot make. The line got destroyed, without Dexter Lawrence, a qst team All American, playing. They played like shit all year. They were trash against Ball State and Pitt to put it into perspective. This should have expected.

One more point I'd add... I'd offer my assistant coaches a $100,000 bonus for each composite top 100 recruit they landed each cycle and I'd offer them a $50,000 bonus for each recruit they landed ra ked between 100-150 each cycle... I want to see them recruit themselves to the verge of sickness.

You don't even have to spend the money on bonuses out of your own pocket. ND has people endow 50 million dollar buildings, they can easily put together a $20 million dollar pool from multiple donors and use the annual interest to pay head hunting bonuses to their assistant coaches if that's what it takes for them to work over and above to out recruit opponents. Figure it out Jack.

Last edited:
Why does ND not want to become the evil empire? Why are we constantly losing in the arms race to teams like A&M Ohio state and obviously clemmy UGA and bammer?

ND’s history is a blessing and a curse, this administration will never be serious about winning like they once were. Duke basketball adapted, we are constantly playing catch up.

That’s why I laugh when people say we are a better program then we were in 2012
1. Are we really?
2. You don’t think these other programs are as well? You think they just sat around staying course?

Just as I mentioned in another thread IIO. ND is fine with status quo as long as the $$$ keeps flowing in. Hit ND where it hurts, in the pocket book and maybe they will actually make the number one reason why ND is a national brand a priority. Up until then, I see nothing that is going to change.

Question: how come Kelly's teams can be so competitive vs. Clemson/Georgia during the regular season -- (yes, we lost both of those games but both went down to the last series and we were far from embarrassed) -- and completely fail in the two Championship (series games?) I don't get it. We are playing with the same players in the regular season!
Coaching in the post season seems to be the problem. Championship teams improve their play with great coaching when it counts the most.

Quinn's recruiting haul this year was damn good (Zeke and Quinn are both top 100 (rivals) and Olmstead is 111 -- so wasn't really much different than Harry's. Harry only recruited two 5* guy (247) in Kraemer, rivals had Q at 5. Yes, he did have his share of top 100s. But we have two guys in the top 100 this year. I do agree -- coaching is another matter -- and we didn't see much improvement, still we lost three NFL players.

We all need it (me included) at times. There are a lot of people that are upset not that ND lost, but that they weren't close to as competitive as they needed to be, especially on offense. We had significant warning signs against Pittsburgh and USC, that anytime ND had to face athletes that could hit and cover, it was going to be tough sledding.

I listened to Brian Kelly's post game press conference... I'm sorry Brian, you can't actually believe what you told the media. His entire press conference surrounded the idea that ND lost because they gave up 4 big plays on defense and that it was because Julian Love got hurt. He kept referencing that point over and over, as if it was scheme problem...

1. You scored 3 points on offense. 3 points. your quarterback was terrible. You wide receivers were terrible. Your poorly coached offensive line gave up 6 sacks and left Ian running for his life on a multitude of other plays. In no conceivable world can you blame a loss on a defense that has carried your ass all season, when you score 3 points. Anybody who thinks that it's ok for Kelly to make that argument, is a loser. Did you expect the win the game 3-0 Brian?

2. The reason Clemson made those plays that other teams haven't against you all season, is because they have 5 star players that are better than your players... I'll say it again, slowly... They... Are... Better.. Than... Your... Guys... Brian". How in the world would Julian Love being in the game stop Alohi Gilman from being too slow to run with Justyn Ross in the seem for a touchdown. That happened. That's real life. How could have Donte Vaughn played the touchdown that he batted away, only to have Tee Higgins, a 5 star player, make a 5 star catch, any better? Julian Love makes the same play (if he's even tall enough to get a hand on it) and Higgins still makes a wonderful 5 star catch. Just like the wonderful 5 star catch Terry Godwin made against Julian Love in the Georgia game last year. That score was the difference in that game too. They have the players to make those catches Brian, it's not a scheme problem... It's a talent issue. Even if Julian Love is in that game, he saves ND maybe 7-10 points... Clemson doesn't pull their starters in the 3rd quarter and you still get eviscerated. Time to wake up Brian.

Good post, not to mention Clemson was without one of their best players and a top 10 pick in Dexter Lawrence. If he had played it probably would have somehow been even worse. Hell even his backup's going to get drafted and would no doubt be a starter alongside Tillery at Notre Dame. Clemson has far more talent than Notre Dame.

Still, there is 0 excuse for the offensive play calling and execution that we consistently see in big games. It always goes the same, terrible play calling early, inability to make the key play early to seize momentum, the other team pulls away. Then we spend the other half of the game staring at a clueless and defeated Brian Kelly on the sideline. Sure lack of talent plays a part, but the horrible coaching in big games has become a theme under Brian Kelly. Hopefully he goes somewhere else.

Reactions: Ddionne1983
Great post. Couldn’t agree more about the coaching aspect of all position groups. Offensive line being the biggest disappointment following the spoils of finally having a great coach there for the first time since Joe Moore.

Recruiting shortcomings at positions of production like running back, wide receiver, and again O line are extremely concerning. Should not be the case based on recent on field success.

Back to back years like the past two should result in obvious difference makers in the recruiting classes which are hard to currently find. I suspect the issue goes deeper than the recruiting ability of the coaches, but could be wrong?

Good luck IIO with that post man. ND will never be the football factory it was under Parseghian again. They care about their reputation more than football. They want to win but not at any cost like in the glory days of Rockne, Leahy or even Parseghian. They would rather go 8-5 the Notre Dame way than win a national championship the Saban or Meyer way. That's the stinking facts of life about ND in 2018. I honestly believe ND would give up football rather than cave under pressure from any outside source, including from it's fan base. I don't like it; but that's how I see it! So I've turned my attention to next season and hopes for another good season.

Reactions: iwish and Telx1
I can't say i agree with all of it (mostly the stuff regarding the QB position) because i think that is the only position that is any good on offense right now, but it was an entertaining read. Especially part 2.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
What don't people get? The other team had bushels of 5-star guys. Simple enough.

How many 5-star guys were out there for ND? How many 5-star guys were out there for Alabama?
Does this all start to ring a bell? You can coach all you want, reality is that the teams in college ball with the superior athletes are the winners.

Reactions: Mihalko35
Quinn's recruiting haul this year was damn good (Zeke and Quinn are both top 100 (rivals) and Olmstead is 111 -- so wasn't really much different than Harry's. Harry only recruited two 5* guy (247) in Kraemer, rivals had Q at 5. Yes, he did have his share of top 100s. But we have two guys in the top 100 this year. I do agree -- coaching is another matter -- and we didn't see much improvement, still we lost three NFL players.

Not good enough. Harry put 4 OL in the 1st round of the NFL Draft in 5 years. You ought to be able to leverage that for the sake of recruiting... For the record, nine of the vaunted OL haul this year are composite top 100 players. The guys that all three services agree are going to be excellent players. Their is a significant correlation between being a composite to 100 player and winding up a 1st or 2nd round draft pick... Consensus usually wins out.

The two best guys Quinn landed are 3 years away from being able to help ND. He didn't land any "creatures" to quote a certain coach.

Agree with IIO in part.

Quinn has recruited a great class of OL for 2019 and we are well positioned for 2020, but we didn’t see the kind of play or improvement expected of current players. I would pay the going rate to hire a great OL coach to develop this talent, and would consider moving Quinn to ST coach.

Polian has never produced good special teams play, and that’s with given the green light to pick who plays on ST. Agree with firing Polian.

I don’t know why moving Joseph to recruiting coordinator seems like an afterthought. In a short time, he Has shown to be an outstanding recruiter, exactly what we need from all position coaches. Elston showed how management skills are needed to be a good coordinator, and I have no idea if Joseph has these skills or not.

Our running back recruiting has been very poor under Denson, and numerous reports suggest he doesn’t put in the time and effort, and doesn’t see this as a problem. Denson should be let go and we should pay top dollar to get a RB coach with a proven record of recruiting at a very high level... a Tony Alford clone.

I wouldn’t make any other changes. Hell, all coaches should be on notice all the time. It’s a heavy workload, high compensation, results oriented profession.

I agree that Ian was running for his life way too much, but I also think he created unnecessary sacks and gave up the pocket too easily on numerous occasions; and he made some uncharacteristic piss poor throws as Clemson clearly pushed him out of his comfort zone. Some of us have discussed Book’s shortcomings as a QB for several weeks now, and disagreed with Chase’ opinion that he is elite, etc... He was a difference maker for ND during much of the season, and he deserves a ton of credit for our success. That said, he is not in the same league as the other three QBs that played yesterday, and he never will be. He should come into Spring as our starter, but not guaranteed to start.

1. You scored 3 points on offense. 3 points. your quarterback was terrible. You wide receivers were terrible. Your poorly coached offensive line gave up 6 sacks and left Ian running for his life on a multitude of other plays. In no conceivable world can you blame a loss on a defense that has carried your ass all season, when you score 3 points. Anybody who thinks that it's ok for Kelly to make that argument, is a loser. Did you expect the win the game 3-0 Brian?

I agree with BK. We lost because Love was out. He’s the Lawrence of our D.

The development of players was concerning. There was a quite a difference in players playing to their potential on defense in comparison to the offense.

Looking at the D does anybody feel they could have asked more out of the players they had? I was very impressed this year with the D, as every group excelled. Elliott and Gilman are a very solid pair, as were Love and Pride. Nickel corner was a weakness this year, but it'll be nice to have Crawford back there. Coney and Tranquil just an unbelievable pair of LBs and I'll miss them a lot. Bilal leaves a lot to be desired, but I don't think that's a reflection of coaching. Some players just have a very hard time turning on that light bulb. He'll be on notice in spring. The D-line really exceeded expectations. Tillery was awesome and Bonner gave you all he had. And of course the DEs did a great job pressuring the QBs.

As for the offense... Wimbush. We all know what happened there. Book while playing terrible yesterday, did play to his potential I felt. The O-Line... Man what an inconsistent bunch. Despite being the most talented group next to TE unit, they really struggled even against much weaker competition. TE .. despite Mack being regarded as the next Eifert and being regarded as a disappointment, I think he did OK. AVeragI as a received, but great blocker. I'm excited for Kmet/Wright combo next year. WRs... Boykin and Finke I felt played to their potential, but neither is a WR that scares D-coordinators. Claypool overall has been so underwhelming, despite some here comparing him to Larry Fitzgerald. RBs... I have been very happy with this group, as I do think Denson is a very good coach. He had the challenge of starting and coaching different guys who had different styles until Williams returned.

Reactions: Bumpdaddy
The development of players was concerning. There was a quite a difference in players playing to their potential on defense in comparison to the offense.

Looking at the D does anybody feel they could have asked more out of the players they had? I was very impressed this year with the D, as every group excelled. Elliott and Gilman are a very solid pair, as were Love and Pride. Nickel corner was a weakness this year, but it'll be nice to have Crawford back there. Coney and Tranquil just an unbelievable pair of LBs and I'll miss them a lot. Bilal leaves a lot to be desired, but I don't think that's a reflection of coaching. Some players just have a very hard time turning on that light bulb. He'll be on notice in spring. The D-line really exceeded expectations. Tillery was awesome and Bonner gave you all he had. And of course the DEs did a great job pressuring the QBs.

As for the offense... Wimbush. We all know what happened there. Book while playing terrible yesterday, did play to his potential I felt. The O-Line... Man what an inconsistent bunch. Despite being the most talented group next to TE unit, they really struggled even against much weaker competition. TE .. despite Mack being regarded as the next Eifert and being regarded as a disappointment, I think he did OK. AVeragI as a received, but great blocker. I'm excited for Kmet/Wright combo next year. WRs... Boykin and Finke I felt played to their potential, but neither is a WR that scares D-coordinators. Claypool overall has been so underwhelming, despite some here comparing him to Larry Fitzgerald. RBs... I have been very happy with this group, as I do think Denson is a very good coach. He had the challenge of starting and coaching different guys who had different styles until Williams returned.
great post, Shake! I'll just disagree with you about Denson. While he's done a good job coaching the backs, he has been a liability on the recruiting trail.

great post, Shake! I'll just disagree with you about Denson. While he's done a good job coaching the backs, he has been a liability on the recruiting trail.
Thanks. I was only talking about Denson's coaching ability. Yes, he's horrendously bad as a recruiter. If Kelly were to move on from him(doubt he will) I wouldn't mind, as ND needs better recruiters and RB is the easiest position to coach.

6 sacks, with as many as 10+ had Ian not ran for his life, is unacceptable, regardless of the throws Ian can or cannot make. The line got destroyed, without Dexter Lawrence, a qst team All American, playing. They played like shit all year. They were trash against Ball State and Pitt to put it into perspective. This should have expected.

One more point I'd add... I'd offer my assistant coaches a $100,000 bonus for each composite top 100 recruit they landed each cycle and I'd offer them a $50,000 bonus for each recruit they landed ra ked between 100-150 each cycle... I want to see them recruit themselves to the verge of sickness.

You don't even have to spend the money on bonuses out of your own pocket. ND has people endow 50 million dollar buildings, they can easily put together a $20 million dollar pool from multiple donors and use the annual interest to pay head hunting bonuses to their assistant coaches if that's what it takes for them to work over and above to out recruit opponents. Figure it out Jack.
I think 5 of the 6 were in the second half when Clemson could just tee off. Book has no pocket presence and he hasn’t all year. Pitt was the eye opener for me and he never improved.

I think 5 of the 6 were in the second half when Clemson could just tee off. Book has no pocket presence and he hasn’t all year. Pitt was the eye opener for me and he never improved.
Rees and Kelly MUST be on his ass over that all offseason. I’ve noticed the exact same thing since Pitt myself man...

Reactions: HuddleBurger
Who from ND would be a starter on either Bama or Clemson? Dexter? Justin? Julian? Sam? Alex?

Agree with IIO in part.

Quinn has recruited a great class of OL for 2019 and we are well positioned for 2020, but we didn’t see the kind of play or improvement expected of current players. I would pay the going rate to hire a great OL coach to develop this talent, and would consider moving Quinn to ST coach.

Polian has never produced good special teams play, and that’s with given the green light to pick who plays on ST. Agree with firing Polian.

I don’t know why moving Joseph to recruiting coordinator seems like an afterthought. In a short time, he Has shown to be an outstanding recruiter, exactly what we need from all position coaches. Elston showed how management skills are needed to be a good coordinator, and I have no idea if Joseph has these skills or not.

Our running back recruiting has been very poor under Denson, and numerous reports suggest he doesn’t put in the time and effort, and doesn’t see this as a problem. Denson should be let go and we should pay top dollar to get a RB coach with a proven record of recruiting at a very high level... a Tony Alford clone.

I wouldn’t make any other changes. Hell, all coaches should be on notice all the time. It’s a heavy workload, high compensation, results oriented profession.

I agree that Ian was running for his life way too much, but I also think he created unnecessary sacks and gave up the pocket too easily on numerous occasions; and he made some uncharacteristic piss poor throws as Clemson clearly pushed him out of his comfort zone. Some of us have discussed Book’s shortcomings as a QB for several weeks now, and disagreed with Chase’ opinion that he is elite, etc... He was a difference maker for ND during much of the season, and he deserves a ton of credit for our success. That said, he is not in the same league as the other three QBs that played yesterday, and he never will be. He should come into Spring as our starter, but not guaranteed to start.
This is a great post, I agree with almost everything. The one caveat is I would also fire Chip Long, hell I would've sent him home at halftime. The play calling yesterday was awful, as it his been most of this season.

I think a lot has to do with the extra practices that benefit the younger players more. Most of Clemson’s 4 and 5 Stars are freshmen and sophomores. Every BCS game or playoff game we’ve played, we’ve played downs against younger players who didn’t make as much of a difference or were not as good during the regular season. Our 4 and 5 year players don’t make a leap—those Young’s guys do. Lawrence was out and they had three young guys shove our OL around. Their two young 5 star WRs made plays and they didn’t rely on Renfro after the first quarter.

Then there’s Lawrence. He got progressively better all,year, but he was on another level yesterday. Who knows how good he’ll be in 3 years. Clemson gambled that a younger player with a higher ceiling would keep on getting better enough to challenge Alabama and they were right.

Last edited:
Shut the f*ck up.

1. Jack Swarbrick, you have to ****ing pay people. You operate one of the riches programs in the country, but you have no problem allowing an elite coordinator / recruiter leave for a better situation. Unless Notre Dame is willing to pay highest rates to assistant coaches in the country and attract the best assistants in the business, guys that should be head coaches at lesser schools (Brett Venables) but who are coordinators at your school because you backed a Brinks truck up into their yard, you're NEVER going to overcome the talent gap through coaching and development... Because the schools that have more talent than you, have better, higher paid coaches than you as well. That's to simple truth. You need an elite coach / recruiter at every coaching position. You can't have 3-4 good assistants, and a bunch of middle of the road guys.

- Autry Denson should be fired. I don't care how productive your running backs have been. I really don't. Look around America, there are 20+ running backs coaches who backs produce just like yours do. Anybody who has every spent a second coaching football knows that it's the easiest position on the field to coach. There are 20+ other guys in a America that coach the running back position every bit as well as Autry Denson and half of them do it without the offensive line talent that Notre Dame has (which I'll get to in a second). It comes down to this, if you're not an elite recruiter, you receive you pink slip tomorrow... Autry Denson is responsible for recruiting South Georgia and Florida, the most talent rich region in the country. Who the **** made that decision? He's horrendous recruiter. One of the worst at a major school, nationally. ND needs a savage in that region. A guy that not only lands top running backs, but a guy who recruits top talent at other positions as well.

- Jeff Quinn should be fired. Your offensive line is terrible. It was mediocre all year. You gave up 6 sacks yesterday and it could have been 10 if Ian Book didn't scramble like crazy. Ian Book was running for his life against Pittsburgh for **** sakes. He was running for his life against USC. They could get push against Ball State. Let that sink in for a moment. You did a terrible job not only on the field, but in a stellar year along the offensive line, after ND has put 4 OL in the first round of the NFL Draft in the last 5 years, and won the Joe Moore award last year, you failed to land a single top 100 recruit on the offensive line, let alone 5 star. You allowed 5 star offensive linemen to go to schools where they will be wasted, instead of coming to Notre Dame to play for OL U.

I'm sorry Jeff, you're offensive line pales in comparison to Clemson's, Alabama's, Oklahoma's and Georgia's and you've proven that you can't recruit the monsters go to other schools. You can land 275lb undersized guys, but the truly elite guys don't want to play for you. You're fired.

- Brian Polian, your special teams are average at best and terrible at worst. We saw zero improvement from your units throughout the season, but more importantly, since you took over as recruiting coordinator, ND has landed 1, 5 star prospect. The last player of that level that you personally recruited was Manti Te'o, in 2007, 11 years ago. You've landed absolutely nobody that matters relative to winning a championship since then. You're known to be some "guru" on the West Coast in recruiting. With USC and UCLA in the tank, and Stanford on the decline. the worst they've been in years, you can't pull a single top recruit out of California. Not a single difference maker... Seriously... Not one. How is that even possible with the amount of resources ND spends maintaining a yearly fingerprint in LA.

I'm sorry Brian, your special teams are average and you can't pull a single top 100 4 star, or 5 star out of California, while Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama and Clemson can. Their recruiter is out recruiting you and for that reason, have a happy new years, but please clean out your desk. You're fired.

- Del Alexander, your wide receivers are the definition of average. They drop way too many passes (2nd year in a row) and you refuse to play the young guys over the old guys when they **** up or give poor effort. The same bullshit every year. No accountability whatsoever, and since Mike Denbrock left, not a single wide receiver has flourished into an All American caliber players under your watch. Furthermore, the only top 100 receiver you've landed since you got here is Kevin Austin. Why? Explain yourself? Why can't you out recruit teams like Michigan at wide receiver? Why can't you recruit along the lines of Oklahoma? I'm not asking you to recruit like Alabama and Clemson do, because I'm not naïve. But even among your peers you're an average recruiter. You're a West Coast guy, played wide receiver at USC, have ties to LA, and they have 5-7 top 100 WRs each year in California. You can't land one?

Tommy Rees, you're on notice, not because you did a bad job coaching, but because you're not getting it done on the recruiting trail. You have one more years to fix that.

- Chip Long. Continue to develop as an offensive coordinator and land somebody of substance on the recruiting trail, outside of a white tight end that ND can land yearly, or you're fired. Nothing more needs to be said.

- Clark Lea, I have no problem with your coaching. You did a damn fine job this year in your first go around. But you have some explaining to do. Last year Mike Elko landed 5 top 150 players on the defensive side of the ball, coming off a 4-8 season, when Notre Dame had no momentum. This year you only landed 3 top 150 players on defense (1 top 100) coming off of a 10-3 season in which ND built a lot more momentum and recruits were listening. Why?... Why did your former boss out recruit you coming off the worst season ND's faced since 2009, when you have a much, much better situation to recruit from the following year?

Lastly, a public service announcement to all ND assistant coaches. You get paid a bundle of cash. The new expectation of you is that you will slave for that cash. Each of you will work 100 hours per week in recruiting until spring. That leaves you 68 hours per week to sleep. Get 6 hours per night and you have 26 hours per week to spend awake with your families. I'm going to work the same schedule. We're going to fix this. It starts with recruiting and it starts next week. Rest up. Turn your phone off. I don't want to talk to you for the next few days. Right now I need to go hire a running back coach who is on board with the plan, a wide receiver coach that is on board with the plan, and a special teams coordinator that is on board with the plan... By the way, Terry Joseph, you're now the recruiting coordinator (because you're a damn good recruiter) and I'm getting you a raise to 1.5 million per year. You will land a top 8 class next year and you be responsible for no fewer than 2, 5 star, and 6 top 100 recruits, coming off our playoff run and undefeated regular season.

Happy New Years Boys!
Best fffin post of year. And let’s get a raise for Balas
Denson. Quinn. Polian. Should be toast. But Kelly won’t fire them cause he is not Nick Saban or Dabo. He is like his team —. Not as good as the first 2 playoff coaches

Reactions: Ddionne1983
What don't people get? The other team had bushels of 5-star guys. Simple enough.

How many 5-star guys were out there for ND? How many 5-star guys were out there for Alabama?
Does this all start to ring a bell? You can coach all you want, reality is that the teams in college ball with the superior athletes are the winners.
I understand a lot of these guys weren't 5 stars out of high school but how many are 5 stars now? Julian, Tillery, Dexter, Coney? Kareem, Okwara, Gilman all with 5 star upside in the next year.

I understand a lot of these guys weren't 5 stars out of high school but how many are 5 stars now? Julian, Tillery, Dexter, Coney? Kareem, Okwara, Gilman all with 5 star upside in the next year.
It doesn't matter when you still have Kelly, Long, Polian, and Quinn as your coaches. These guys simply don't show up in big games.

2 of them, Love and Tillery. The rest of them are solid 4 stars... Did any of the other guys look anything like Wilkins, Lawrence, Ross, or Higgins I the game yesterday? Those are what 5 stars look like and 3 of those 4 are underclassmen (two of them freshmen).

It doesn't matter when you still have Kelly, Long, Polian, and Quinn as your coaches. These guys simply don't show up in big games.
Agreed but I think it paints an inaccurate picture when people say ND doesn't have 5-star talent. I call BS. Similar to those names I just mentioned, it's like saying McGlinchey, Stanley, Fuller, Procise, Martin, Kizer, Harrison, Eifert werent 5-star studs because rivals told us they were 3-4 stars.

Agreed but I think it paints an inaccurate picture when people say ND doesn't have 5-star talent. I call BS. Similar to those names I just mentioned, it's like saying McGlinchey, Stanley, Fuller, Procise, Martin, Kizer, Harrison, Eifert werent 5-star studs because rivals told us they were 3-4 stars.

Those guys all developed exceptionally but all of the names you listed are over 5+ year period. It isn't enough concentrated talent to be the best team in the country any given year.

You recruit more elite players and combine them with all of the studs who developed into star players and now you can compete for a national title.

Notre Dame lacks SOME talent at the skill positions, I just don't want it to take away from how shitty the coaching has been in big games. They aren't quite as good as Clemson, but they aren't THAT much worse than Clemson. It should have been a much closer game than it was. The coaches/players quit in the second quarter, and the offensive line hasn't improved all year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT