ADVERTISEMENT

So is anyone going to talk about the actual football team?

savvyandsassier

All Star
Dec 16, 2013
Other than nonsensically fretting over how Tyler Buchner suddenly sucks at QB, apropos of nothing, as he's going to be a star for us, I feel confident in at least legitimately hoping for. And the idea that he's going to be a bust, and quickly replaced by Donte Moore, or even Angeli, even though IMO he looked rather promising in his snaps as a true frosh. So if we could avoid that sort of gibberish....

So any reality-based thoughts, or reflections, or speculations, that don't involve definitely winning a NC either this year or next.... or how every LB on the roster is going to get drafted other than JD Bertrand and Drew White... shit like that. In any case I got one, I'm hoping old boy is going to be a star for us at RB. Logan Diggs looked great as a frosh, and definitely can play at this level. But I'm talking about Estime. And he could be a revelation, rush for 1000 yards, and be a definite game-changer on offense. And if we are going to contend yet again, and push for a playoff spot, that we need players like that to emerge, and he totally looks like he could be that, and that the quality is there....

Not because Buchner sucks and the passing game is going to falter badley, and we're going to be a run-first offense. But just because he looks like he could be a legit impact player. Though I guess TB could have some growing pains. Anyway, there's some football talk. Audric Estime will make a huge impact, and be a game-changer for the offense.....

Reactions: Rockne's Rambler
Other than nonsensically fretting over how Tyler Buchner suddenly sucks at QB, apropos of nothing, as he's going to be a star for us, I feel confident in at least legitimately hoping for. And the idea that he's going to be a bust, and quickly replaced by Donte Moore, or even Angeli, even though IMO he looked rather promising in his snaps as a true frosh. So if we could avoid that sort of gibberish....

So any reality-based thoughts, or reflections, or speculations, that don't involve definitely winning a NC either this year or next.... or how every LB on the roster is going to get drafted other than JD Bertrand and Drew White... shit like that. In any case I got one, I'm hoping old boy is going to be a star for us at RB. Logan Diggs looked great as a frosh, and definitely can play at this level. But I'm talking about Estime. And he could be a revelation, rush for 1000 yards, and be a definite game-changer on offense. And if we are going to contend yet again, and push for a playoff spot, that we need players like that to emerge, and he totally looks like he could be that, and that the quality is there....

Not because Buchner sucks and the passing game is going to falter badley, and we're going to be a run-first offense. But just because he looks like he could be a legit impact player. Though I guess TB could have some growing pains. Anyway, there's some football talk. Audric Estime will make a huge impact, and be a game-changer for the offense.....
No

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ and Airzee23
So much depends on development and injuries as of opening day, ergo almost every evaluation is speculation.

But there’s another facet that will come to the fore on opening day.

How much has “coaching” improved subsequent to the second half of the OSU game ?

Just wait until Julian Sayin commits!!

I expect improvement in every position group except maybe a wash at RB and Safety (and remember, Kyle was gone half the season) -- Tyler is going to be a good one. Our Oline is going to be much much better. We'll need to step it up as the schedule is a beast.

I would defer to Brian Kelly. The Master of all that is good about Notre Dame.

Reactions: BGI User 756
I would defer to Brian Kelly. The Master of all that is good about Notre Dame.
We definitely would be looking better for next year if he was still coach. Now that you brought it up. That's just the truth....

In any case, given how he's left and is now LSU's coach, we'll just have to make do. And Estime has looked totally impressive in his limited opportunities, and so that's my little prediction. It's not too bold, I think anybody can see what a force he's capable of being as a huge, hard-to-tackle, fairly smooth and athletic big back, and now with Kyren gone I'm predicting him to be the main guy to fill the void, even though Diggs looked very good as a frosh as well. I think Tyree should stay as a #2 RB type guy....

And I think TB's going to be awesome. Or put it this way, I have no reason to think that he was overrated and exposed somehow last season, like many cretin fans are seemingly trying to push that little narrative, just because they're inveterate haters/complainers/slanderers. He seems to be a pretty go-go type player, aggressive and decisive, which is good, so maybe he will keep throwing picks this year, and those will be some of the growing pains for him. But I see him as a passer first and runner second, and he only ran as much as he did because he was capable of it and he could get some game experience and help the team without having to read defenses like Tom Brady or whatnot. But that he's not really a run-first QB, and his RPO forays in the future will be more limited, and he can be used as a design runner very effectively but more sparingly. He's not another Brandon Wimbush in any event...

In any case I'm personally expecting/hoping Buchner pretty much to become a star, as he appears to me at least to have all the necessary tools and talent, and nothing has changed on that score.... As far as Tommy Rees goes, he's easily got all the QB he requires to secure his spot on the staff moving forward, and make his bones for the first time without his mentor around to hold his hand. So the ball's in his court....

Thank god that POS Kelly is gone. Maybe we can compete with the big boys now. His purple face fits right in at LSU.

Reactions: Weisnheimer
Go by position group. Thumb up or down....

Backfield - Down, KW was too good to replace with the current class. It will be very good but he was special.

QB - Up, I think TB will surprises us all

WR - Up, experience and talent is better

OL - Up, experience and talent and coaching

DL - Even, probably more talent....maybe others have a better prespective

LB - UP, I think we have a special group blossoming

CB - Up, I don't think you could go down

ST - Down, its going to be ugly

Coaching - I'm think up, slightly, some upgrades across the board with Al and Harry

So overall a much tougher schedule but a better team. My thoughts.

Go by position group. Thumb up or down....

Backfield - Down, KW was too good to replace with the current class. It will be very good but he was special.

QB - Up, I think TB will surprises us all

WR - Up, experience and talent is better

OL - Up, experience and talent and coaching

DL - Even, probably more talent....maybe others have a better prespective

LB - UP, I think we have a special group blossoming

CB - Up, I don't think you could go down

ST - Down, its going to be ugly

Coaching - I'm think up, slightly, some upgrades across the board with Al and Harry

So overall a much tougher schedule but a better team. My thoughts.
I hope WR is up. Losing Austin hurt

I am a HUGE Tyler Buchner fan. I believe he will lead us to a National Championship. And maybe a Heisman trophy.
And he can run like Ian Book but he is faster and he is taller and has a stronger arm that can make the throws the great Ian couldn't.
For some reason he reminds me of Pete Marvich or Majic Johnson or maybe Joe Montana---smooth and deceptive.

*** And he has all sorts of GREAT playmakers to get the ball to. DESPITE WHAT ALL THE DEBBY DOWNERS SAY !!!

Reactions: NDinNJ and sluggo69
I am a HUGE Tyler Buchner fan. I believe he will lead us to a National Championship. And maybe a Heisman trophy.
And he can run like Ian Book but he is faster and he is taller and has a stronger arm that can make the throws the great Ian couldn't.
For some reason he reminds me of Pete Marvich or Majic Johnson or maybe Joe Montana---smooth and deceptive.

*** And he has all sorts of GREAT playmakers to get the ball to. DESPITE WHAT ALL THE DEBBY DOWNERS SAY !!!
Good, I'm glad you feel that way, I agree. Especially based on what we've already seen, not just his HS pedigree. He looked good as a true frosh, and not dubious. Now if we could just pick up a couple of WRs in the portal, we'll be ready......

The fact that he was so good right out of the box with his legs does not in any way imply or suggest that his passing is questionable, nor did his actual throws look sketchy. That's just hater talk, or something like that, serious half-glass-empty thinking, if your takeaway from Buchner's frosh season is that we're screwed at QB, or that Angeli is going to be quickly usurping his spot.

There's always the transfer portal, even though ND really doesn't use it. But outside of that TB is our QB for the next three years. This was the three-year stretch, before what would have been his possible/probable retirement, when BK was finally going to get us over the top and win one. Now it's MF's task. But one thing hasn't changed, and that's Buchner. He's the special one, the next-level QB that could elevate ND football. The one we've been waiting for.....

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
Good, I'm glad you feel that way, I agree. Especially based on what we've already seen, not just his HS pedigree. He looked good as a true frosh, and not dubious. Now if we could just pick up a couple of WRs in the portal, we'll be ready......

The fact that he was so good right out of the box with his legs does not in any way imply or suggest that his passing is questionable, nor did his actual throws look sketchy. That's just hater talk, or something like that, serious half-glass-empty thinking, if your takeaway from Buchner's frosh season is that we're screwed at QB, or that Angeli is going to be quickly usurping his spot.

There's always the transfer portal, even though ND really doesn't use it. But outside of that TB is our QB for the next three years. This was the three-year stretch, before what would have been his possible/probable retirement, when BK was finally going to get us over the top and win one. Now it's MF's task. But one thing hasn't changed, and that's Buchner. He's the special one, the next-level QB that could elevate ND football. The one we've been waiting for.....
I worry about running QB’s, injuries tend to be more prevalent with more running.

Coan had a reasonable backup, does Buchner ?

Another astute observation from the board welcher. He must have coached with Vince Lombardi

I hope WR is up. Losing Austin hurt

He came on late, I just feel like Lo and that from Thomas are going to have great years. Toss in the fact we get Avery back and MM has some better TE talent to give him a breather we just seem loaded. I have never seen Tobias but here good things. Maybe he cracks the lineup. Colzie looks like he is one of those very late bloomers to me.

I worry about running QB’s, injuries tend to be more prevalent with more running.

Coan had a reasonable backup, does Buchner ?

That is a very good point. TB will need to be coached to slide. Too many times he initiated the hit. Ian always took the slide or stepped out......will be critical to keep him healthy.

Again, my concern, of sorts, regarding TB, is that he will be overused as a runner. In saying that I'm not giving much credit to Rees/MF, because I would consider that to be a major coaching malfeasance or blunder or whatever, if he became another or was utilized as another Wimbush. It is presumed that the only reason Wimbush, in 2017, was utilized as a such a blatantly run-first QB was because he couldn't throw. He was unreliable, and badly inaccurate and poor-throwing, and since he was such a good athlete we were in luck. It's what saved BK's job.

So just think in terms of Book 2.0 and not Wimbush 2.0 and we're going to be good....

That is a very good point. TB will need to be coached to slide. Too many times he initiated the hit. Ian always took the slide or stepped out......will be critical to keep him healthy.
The better his arm, the less he’ll be called on to run, which is good.

If his arm and his accuracy don’t improve the opposing team’s defenses will be able to adjust and defend too easily.

His ability to pass accurately will be critical and will impact so many facets of the offense

Again, my concern, of sorts, regarding TB, is that he will be overused as a runner. In saying that I'm not giving much credit to Rees/MF, because I would consider that to be a major coaching malfeasance or blunder or whatever, if he became another or was utilized as another Wimbush. It is presumed that the only reason Wimbush, in 2017, was utilized as a such a blatantly run-first QB was because he couldn't throw. He was unreliable, and badly inaccurate and poor-throwing, and since he was such a good athlete we were in luck. It's what saved BK's job.

So just think in terms of Book 2.0 and not Wimbush 2.0 and we're going to be good....
I’d say that you’re correct, TB’s ability to be accurate and to stay healthy are going to be critical to a successful season

The better his arm, the less he’ll be called on to run, which is good.

If his arm and his accuracy don’t improve the opposing team’s defenses will be able to adjust and defend too easily.

His ability to pass accurately will be critical and will impact so many facets of the offense
No reason to think he won't

If these classes hold together, and the recruiting continues, ND is going to win a championship within the next 4 years.

Reactions: IrishMike409
If these classes hold together, and the recruiting continues, ND is going to win a championship within the next 4 years.
I would agree that a significantly improved talent pool should lead us in that direction, but an unproven coaching staff gives me pause.

Time will tell !

I would agree that a significantly improved talent pool should lead us in that direction, but an unproven coaching staff gives me pause.

Time will tell !
I expect a slight drop off in the next year or two , but then no excuses. I'm confident this staff can get it done. However, if it doesn't happen under this staff, the next hire will have a loaded team.

I expect a slight drop off in the next year or two , but then no excuses. I'm confident this staff can get it done. However, if it doesn't happen under this staff, the next hire will have a loaded team.
Yes, but how good will the next hire be ?

Certain coaches make an immediate impact, Ara, Urban Meyer and a few others who turned a program around in their first year show what a difference quality coaching can make.

can a rookie HC have that type of impact ?

I don’t know the answer, but I’m dubious

What’s their proven record at ND ?
Tommy Rees has been on the staff since 2018, we've been pretty good since then, no? Harry Heistand coached here and created OLU, Went to a NC game and won the Joe moore award. Mike Mickens coached here the last 2 seasons record was pretty good, made the playoff. Chris Oleary coached here the last 2 seasons record was pretty good, made the playoffs. Marcus Freeman was the DC last year, ranked top 15 defense and we played in a NY6

So Id say they've done pretty good here as coaches

Then we hired a stud proven RB coach, a super bowl defensive coach and 3 other young up and coming coaches. The WR coach could be special and is an upgrade alone by subtracting Del

So all in all, Id say we have a damn good coaching staff

Yes, but how good will the next hire be ?

Certain coaches make an immediate impact, Ara, Urban Meyer and a few others who turned a program around in their first year show what a difference quality coaching can make.

can a rookie HC have that type of impact ?

I don’t know the answer, but I’m dubious
Hes not here to turn the program around. Hes here to enhance the program

So far what we've seen from his coaching hires and recruiting, he's on the right track. Time will tell. So far so good or great though

Reactions: NDinNJ
Hes not here to turn the program around. Hes here to enhance the program

So far what we've seen from his coaching hires and recruiting, he's on the right track. Time will tell. So far so good or great though
I don’t have an issue with the hires

I agree that he’s on the right track with the hires in combination with the recruiting, the question is, can he game plan and coach ?

He’s unproven !

I thought that Charlie Weis had the potential to be a good coach based on his credentials, but it didn’t turn out that way.

I’m not ready to anoint MF as the next coming, I’m reserving judgement until I see more games.

Reactions: 4-4-3
I don’t have an issue with the hires

I agree that he’s on the right track with the hires in combination with the recruiting, the question is, can he game plan and coach ?

He’s unproven !

I thought that Charlie Weis had the potential to be a good coach based on his credentials, but it didn’t turn out that way.

I’m not ready to anoint MF as the next coming, I’m reserving judgement until I see more games.
Charlie Weis hadn't coached in college in 17 years.

Charlie Weis had four (4) contemporaneous Super Bowl rings as the OC for the Patriots.

Those are impressive credentials!
Yeah for the nfl no doubt

But coaching in college is different than coaching in the nfl. He basically had zero college experience coming into coaching at Notre Dame. That was a mistake

And he had 3, not 4

Yeah for the nfl no doubt

But coaching in college is different than coaching in the nfl. He basically had zero college experience coming into coaching at Notre Dame. That was a mistake

And he had 3, not 4
Not true, he had college coaching experience at the University of South Carolins.

He has four (4) Super Bowl rings

XXV
XXXVI
XXXVIII
XXXIX

I cited his four (4) Super Bowl wins
You originally said “Charlie Weis had four (4) contemporaneous Super Bowl rings as the OC for the Patriots”. Wanna bet? Lol

So you were wrong, which Golson and Irishjohn pointed out. Kind of like Brian Kelly coaching 11 years or Skalski playing against ND in the first 2020 Clemson game or Jaylon Sneed being a composite 4 star

ADVERTISEMENT