ADVERTISEMENT

So, are we gonna be any good this year?

Notre Dame dominates unranked teams better than anyone but BAMA. It has been five years since we lost to one. Half a decade is a long time in college football. Look at Clemson--they lost to Sryacuse and should have lost to them twice. They were behind to BC last year.
Your point that Kelly has trouble against unranked teams is way off the mark. Way off !!
And most of the unranked teams we blow the hell out !
Kelly needs to focus on beating the legendary teams like Alabama and Clemson. Oh wait, we beat Clemson already.
Come on Kelly !! It is time to win a National Championship !! Peace !!

We also beat alot of ranked teams. Just not the top ones ! Except for Clemson last year !
The Irish are a better team this year. They are going to win it all !! You will see !!
What is Kellys record against ranked teams? 1-5,5-10,10-15?

Won't answer the question. What a shocker!
I am very busy. I have worked six straight 12 hour night shifts and just had 24 hours off to get ready to work five straight 12 hour day shifts and I have a hour drive to get to work and a hour back.
So after I made my post when I got home I spent an hour with my wife and then I slept all day.
I will be off for a week after Fridays shift and I will spend some time looking up those stats and I promise I will give them to you. I promise you that.
But just off the top of my head we beat USC 49 to 14 when they were ranked # 10 I believe. Also we beat ranked North Carolina St. and North Carolina and a Ranked Navy team and a ranked Syracuse team and # 1 Clemson last year and a highly ranked Michigan team and Ranked Michigan State teams among others.
I just dropped by for a minute but I will have the full record for you Friday night.
We just lost the last two playoffs to the eventual National Champions, unfortunately, but we are trending higher every year and with Marcus Freeman and company added to the fold this year we will win it all and all of us will celebrate !!!
Goodnight ! Go Irish !

I am very busy. I have worked six straight 12 hour night shifts and just had 24 hours off to get ready to work five straight 12 hour day shifts and I have a hour drive to get to work and a hour back.
So after I made my post when I got home I spent an hour with my wife and then I slept all day.
I will be off for a week after Fridays shift and I will spend some time looking up those stats and I promise I will give them to you. I promise you that.
But just off the top of my head we beat USC 49 to 14 when they were ranked # 10 I believe. Also we beat ranked North Carolina St. and North Carolina and a Ranked Navy team and a ranked Syracuse team and # 1 Clemson last year and a highly ranked Michigan team and Ranked Michigan State teams among others.
I just dropped by for a minute but I will have the full record for you Friday night.
We just lost the last two playoffs to the eventual National Champions, unfortunately, but we are trending higher every year and with Marcus Freeman and company added to the fold this year we will win it all and all of us will celebrate !!!
Goodnight ! Go Irish !
That question was for Golson so either you got mixed up or forgot to logoff and login under that name lol. I have the stats and don't need to post them. But they are not good. Kelly in his tenure is 1-8 aganst top five teams. Five of those losses are by 14+ points. The point being that you and the other Homer's use the undefeated against the weaklinga of college football as some measuring stick of success. Sure ol give Kelly that. He's beaten the teams he should. Can he get to elite status and play with the big boys? Freeman was a step in the right direction. Hiring Rees and keeping Quinn was a step in the wrong direction. No bash on Rees but Rees like many of our offensive recruits is a project. His time is running out at ND. He needed to hit a Freeman like home run on the OC hire. He missed, and I don't see us moving the needle on offense any time soon.

Last edited:
If clarence lewis is our 8th most important player this year, expect us giving up a good number of yards and tds to his side.

Not a ton of teams have a great record against top 5. I believe half of those where to the number 1 team or natty winner so nobody else beat them either. It you expand to top 25 teams when we played them his record would probably be a .600 win. Hard to hate a coach/team that has made the CFP 3 times in 5 or 6 years (don’t remember). How many did Charlie, Ty, Bob or Jerry take us to? Over the last approx 45 years there has been one title. Lou had several shots and so has BK. So I’m not sure winning a title is the true measure. We want it to be. That would mean in 45 years we have had one really good team. 1988.

Reactions: Irish Duck
Not a ton of teams have a great record against top 5. I believe half of those where to the number 1 team or natty winner so nobody else beat them either. It you expand to top 25 teams when we played them his record would probably be a .600 win. Hard to hate a coach/team that has made the CFP 3 times in 5 or 6 years (don’t remember). How many did Charlie, Ty, Bob or Jerry take us to? Over the last approx 45 years there has been one title. Lou had several shots and so has BK. So I’m not sure winning a title is the true measure. We want it to be. That would mean in 45 years we have had one really good team. 1988.
Sorry but being better then Ty, Charlie, or Bob does not make you great, maybe even good. But yes NDs goal should be a NC and is a measure of success. But right now I would take even being somewhat competitive in those games. Just not getting our doors blown off and being called overrated. Which we deserve right now

Sorry but being better then Ty, Charlie, or Bob does not make you great, maybe even good. But yes NDs goal should be a NC and is a measure of success. But right now I would take even being somewhat competitive in those games. Just not getting our doors blown off and being called overrated. Which we deserve right now
We beat Clemson, and played an awesome Alabama team damn near as well as anyone.

There is certainly a gap between Bama/Clemson/OSU and ND.......but it’s closing, slowly but surely. Will ND ever really get to that point? Not sure. But BK has done a great job these past 5 years- we’ve solidified ourselves as a top 10 program and a threat to get into the playoffs every year. Not sure how many other coaches get ND to this point.

Might just be an elite QB away, and that guy could indeed by Buchner.

Reactions: Golson5
We beat Clemson, and played an awesome Alabama team damn near as well as anyone.

There is certainly a gap between Bama/Clemson/OSU and ND.......but it’s closing, slowly but surely. Will ND ever really get to that point? Not sure. But BK has done a great job these past 5 years- we’ve solidified ourselves as a top 10 program and a threat to get into the playoffs every year. Not sure how many other coaches get ND to this point.

Might just be an elite QB away, and that guy could indeed by Buchner.
We beat a depleted, but good Clemson at home. But let's be honest if Clemson had thier Heisman qb and their best defensive players we would have lost (see ACC championship) and Kelly would be 0-8. I disagree that we've been closing the gap the last five years especially on offense. Outside of Buchner, TE, and some OL recruiting on offense has been a long list of swings and misses for our A targets and getting B and C guys. The lack of development on the OL is concerning. With the talent we have its shocking we have to bring in a transfer on OL. We really don't know what with have with Ty yet considering his elite 9 perfirmance and not playing the last two years. Hopefully he will be as good as you think.

I have been a ND fan since the 70s and have been to well over 200 home games. I don't consider getting to the playoffs only to get our doors blown off as a measure of success. Freeman is proving that ND can recruit with any school. Kelly needed to get a home run OC. Instead we got an OC with Zero experience and is cutting his coaching teeth at ND. This is not a bash on Rees. I think he will be a good coach...someday. But sadly it will be at NDs expense the next few years. I hope he proves me wrong. I would love anyone to pull up this post in January and make me eat evey word.

Reactions: spenna
Most important doesn't mean best
Exactly…. He shouldn’t be playing full time or have a position locked, so how can he be so important. If he isn’t that good how can he be that important? My point is if he’s our 8th most important player then it’s for bad reasons and we won’t have season we want.

On the flip side, if i'm completely wrong about him, and he ends up being our 8th most important player for good reasons........ Wow watch out for this D.

Last edited:
We beat a depleted, but good Clemson at home. But let's be honest if Clemson had thier Heisman qb and their best defensive players we would have lost (see ACC championship) and Kelly would be 0-8. I disagree that we've been closing the gap the last five years especially on offense. Outside of Buchner, TE, and some OL recruiting on offense has been a long list of swings and misses for our A targets and getting B and C guys. The lack of development on the OL is concerning. With the talent we have its shocking we have to bring in a transfer on OL. We really don't know what with have with Ty yet considering his elite 9 perfirmance and not playing the last two years. Hopefully he will be as good as you think.

I have been a ND fan since the 70s and have been to well over 200 home games. I don't consider getting to the playoffs only to get our doors blown off as a measure of success. Freeman is proving that ND can recruit with any school. Kelly needed to get a home run OC. Instead we got an OC with Zero experience and is cutting his coaching teeth at ND. This is not a bash on Rees. I think he will be a good coach...someday. But sadly it will be at NDs expense the next few years. I hope he proves me wrong. I would love anyone to pull up this post in January and make me eat evey word.
Tyree, Stlyles and Colzie weren't plan B or C. The tight ends we got this yr weren't plan B or C. If we land Williams and Meriweather you can say the same

Reactions: spenna
Exactly…. He shouldn’t be playing full time or have a position locked, so how can he be so important. If he isn’t that good how can he be that important? My point is if he’s our 8th most important player then it’s for bad reasons and we won’t have season we want.

On the flip side, if i'm completely wrong about him, and he ends up being our 8th most important player for good reasons........ Wow watch out for this D.
You might be right. But they probably put him there bc we dont have a corner locked in yet and that corner spot is so important

Love the true fan approach. Still one of these "it's never enough unless we win a NC" attitudes, I see. The Irish could go undefeated and you'd still say "yeah, but what about that game where we only won by 2 points?" "He" better have them ready....if "he" loses then.....
I have been a true fan for many ,many years . I have lived and died with N D longer then most fans on this service . And winning a N C is really what matters . And it is Kelly's job to have our team ready. I have never been happy when they lose it ruins my weekend too .

Double the PFF and you will get the correct # of wins this year.
No chance we go 8 and 4. Too much talent and coaching is too good. Culture is conpletely different now.

Our offense will be better than people think because Coan is a lot better than people are giving him credit for. Defense is going to be nasty.

10 win minimum season
I always felt with Ara P . and Lou H. teams we could win no matter who we played . I have never felt that way with B Kelly's teams .

I dont think we can say a "depleated" clemson team. ND was missing stars as well. You cant really say what happens in the conf championship if ND loses the first game, they knew they were in and Clemson was playing for life. I like how we always find a way to not give BK credit. Well he beat the number one team in the country. That's really it. They lost to AL who was the #1 team in the country. It was close. 2 of the last 3 seasons where undefeated seasons, the losses to the eventual Natty winner.

How many titles did Saban win at MSU? I can help, zero and never won the BT championship I dont believe. He goes where they pay to play and he is a god.

I would guess if BK headed over to USC, they would beat the dog crap out of us ever year until he left like Pete did and might put 2 or 3 Natty's up. More to change here and its not the HC.

Lou had lots of 3+ loss seasons.....we just forget because he won in 88. One good year in 10 by our own ratings. 6-5-1 in 1994.....2 to unranked teams. We all forget that year. There were multiple years with losses to unranked teams.

Its been 5 years since ND lost to an unranked team under BK. 2016. Every year i look forward to watching us now. Maybe our next HC when that time comes is another 35 year run of outside of the top 25 finishes or maybe he brings a natty. Who knows....I'm just looking forward to this young team, growing and watching them back in the CFB with a shot in 22.

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishMike409
ADVERTISEMENT