ADVERTISEMENT

So, are we gonna be any good this year?

We share the same concern around OL. I dont feel Coan is a wash to Book. Book went 30-5 with two trips to the College Football Playoff. He was a special player and much of that 30-5 was his feet when the OL failed to hold up. Coan doesnt have that skill. Where Book turned certain sack into a 15 yard stick moving scramble we might see some sack city while the line jells. Based on stats, Coan looks to be more accurate by % so thats the good news. I'm hoping you get to gloat how wrong I was. ;)

I just would not be shocked to see Buckner starting a few games before the season ends.

We share the same concern around OL. I dont feel Coan is a wash to Book. Book went 30-5 with two trips to the College Football Playoff. He was a special player and much of that 30-5 was his feet when the OL failed to hold up. Coan doesnt have that skill. Where Book turned certain sack into a 15 yard stick moving scramble we might see some sack city while the line jells. Based on stats, Coan looks to be more accurate by % so thats the good news. I'm hoping you get to gloat how wrong I was. ;)

I just would not be shocked to see Buckner starting a few games before the season ends.
Book played on a much better team. Looking at their record is a terrible way to evaluate each player

Why do you think the O struggles?

2 AA on the OL, along with more 4-5 star talent. Maybe the best backfield in the country. 5th year- low floor QB.

Basically echoing ftn, but it is extremely rare in college football to see an offense maintain a level after losing most of their line, qb, and top two receivers. Even if the talent is there (which it is on the line), it’s going to take time to gel. We were ranked 15-20th offensively last year in the s&p and f+, so I do think a fall to the mid 40s to 50 is very possible. If the line gels quickly and Lenzy and Austin fulfill their potential, we could be a top 25 offense. Our best shot is probably having a big play type offense instead of the more methodical approach we had last year. Hopefully Coan can throw a good deep ball.

Basically echoing ftn, but it is extremely rare in college football to see an offense maintain a level after losing most of their line, qb, and top two receivers. Even if the talent is there (which it is on the line), it’s going to take time to gel. We were ranked 15-20th offensively last year in the s&p and f+, so I do think a fall to the mid 40s to 50 is very possible. If the line gels quickly and Lenzy and Austin fulfill their potential, we could be a top 25 offense. Our best shot is probably having a big play type offense instead of the more methodical approach we had last year. Hopefully Coan can throw a good deep ball.
Sometimes offenses get better

Mckinley wasnt a playmaker until this past year. Chase wasn't on last years team. Ben was meh. Coan played against our D in the spring, he won't see a D that good until the postseason.

The only concern I have on offense is the OL coming together. I think they'll be good too though by the time we play Wisconsin

"The only concern I have on offense is the OL coming together."

Totally agree -- the 1st 3 games are tricky in that the opener is on the road on a Sunday evening (always rough, especially with new starters), and, how they bounce back 6 days later will be key (worry about the rest factor), Then Purdue the following week. While on paper it does not sound rough, how they gel will be key.

Agree that come Week 4 against Wisconsin, we should begin to see the cohesiveness.

"The only concern I have on offense is the OL coming together."

Totally agree -- the 1st 3 games are tricky in that the opener is on the road on a Sunday evening (always rough, especially with new starters), and, how they bounce back 6 days later will be key (worry about the rest factor), Then Purdue the following week. While on paper it does not sound rough, how they gel will be key.

Agree that come Week 4 against Wisconsin, we should begin to see the cohesiveness.
Are you serious or being sarcastic?

If you are worried about us against Toledo on 1 less day of rest and it being only the 2nd game of the season, all I could do is laugh out loud.

And worried about Purdue? Come on

If you are worried about us against Toledo on 1 less day of rest and it being only the 2nd game of the season, all I could do is laugh out loud.

Golson- hate to put you on the spot, but your instincts are usually spot-on. Do we beat Wisconsin week 4?

I just can’t see that WI O moving the ball on our D. And our offense vs their Defense....we’re just flat out more talented and athletic.

Golson- hate to put you on the spot, but your instincts are usually spot-on. Do we beat Wisconsin week 4?

I just can’t see that WI O moving the ball on our D. And our offense vs their Defense....we’re just flat out more talented and athletic.
I agree with you. We're the more talented team. We're more athletic. The OL should be ready by then. Our D is going to be nasty.

Wisconsin is a very physical team and will play hard all game. But in the end. We have too much talent.

31 to 20 Irish

Reactions: IrishMike409
I agree with you. We're the more talented team. We're more athletic. The OL should be ready by then. Our D is going to be nasty.

Wisconsin is a very physical team and will play hard all game. But in the end. We have too much talent.

31 to 20 Irish
Love that answer!!!!

"If you are worried about us against Toledo on 1 less day of rest and it being only the 2nd game of the season, all I could do is laugh out loud. "

from a talent stand point -- no, not worried. But, ND has a history under Kelly to come in with "less than an enthuesiastic" attitude against a lesser opponent. We can all cite many instances.

"If you are worried about us against Toledo on 1 less day of rest and it being only the 2nd game of the season, all I could do is laugh out loud. "

from a talent stand point -- no, not worried. But, ND has a history under Kelly to come in with "less than an enthuesiastic" attitude against a lesser opponent. We can all cite many instances.
And we can all recite certain instances in the last 4 years where we dominated lesser teams

Not as optimistic as others. I will own it if I’m wrong. I think Book covered lots of growing from Rees with his feet. I think we miss Trembles blocking more than we can know. I think losing the entire line will be an issue. I think losing a 3 year QB will take time to replace. When you really needed it. Wusu came thru and is gone and the lack of any real experience at the Wideouts hurts.

I think we do have talent but 8-4 would not be out of the realm for me. 10-2 would be a stretch. Line and QB is a tough full on refresh.

Talent? I don’t think anyone matches us there. Just new and young.
I think the consensus is that with more speeds at wr the gameplay will be very different then last year. Coen will start and although a statue, he reads the feel and delivers over the middle. The offense will look different for sure

Reactions: Kelso86

ND has won 32 straight vs unranked teams and 24 straight home games.

I think it’s time to forgive Kelly for the losses to Tulsa and USF 10+ years ago.

ND has won 32 straight vs unranked teams and 24 straight home games.

I think it’s time to forgive Kelly for the losses to Tulsa and USF 10+ years ago.
While the program has made giant strides the last 4 years, 2016 was just 5 years ago. I'd like to see a few more years near the top.

Reactions: tbonesays
If you look at last years team, even with the stars and talent, we had some close games early. Duke was within a TD of the lead in the 4th. FSU had a q1 lead and within 1 score in the 4th. Louisville had the lead and an onside kick that was called back. We don’t have that luxury this year of turning on the spigot just enough to win. 8 weeks away. Can’t wait to watch the growth.

If you look at last years team, even with the stars and talent, we had some close games early. Duke was within a TD of the lead in the 4th. FSU had a q1 lead and within 1 score in the 4th. Louisville had the lead and an onside kick that was called back. We don’t have that luxury this year of turning on the spigot just enough to win. 8 weeks away. Can’t wait to watch the growth.

That was my point exactly

So you think Toledo will be ranked?
"So you think Toledo will be ranked?"

No -- Doubt they will be ranked, but they are are consistently good for the most part.

Set The Toledo Rockets Regular Season Win Total At … 9.5​

The Rockets lose one guy – a tight end – off of last year’s team, and almost all the backups return, too.

Everyone has guys back in the super-senior year, but Toledo’s experience is ridiculous from a team that had the best passing attack in the MAC and a defense that was good enough to win big things.

This year, there’s the trip to Notre Dame, and that’s it. Everything else is winnable.

There’s going to be a misfire somewhere in MAC play – like at Ball State, or at Central Michigan, or if everything goes right, late in the year at Ohio when everything is wrapped up.

And with this team returning, anything less than a MAC title won’t be okay.

No -- Doubt they will be ranked, but they are are consistently good for the most part.

The Rockets lose one guy – a tight end – off of last year’s team, and almost all the backups return, too.

Everyone has guys back in the super-senior year, but Toledo’s experience is ridiculous from a team that had the best passing attack in the MAC and a defense that was good enough to win big things.

This year, there’s the trip to Notre Dame, and that’s it. Everything else is winnable.

There’s going to be a misfire somewhere in MAC play – like at Ball State, or at Central Michigan, or if everything goes right, late in the year at Ohio when everything is wrapped up.

LOL come on

Hard Hitting Toledo !

No chance we go 8 and 4. Too much talent and coaching is too good. Culture is conpletely different now.

Our offense will be better than people think because Coan is a lot better than people are giving him credit for. Defense is going to be nasty.

10 win minimum season
He better have them ready for F S U . Not one of Kelly's strongpoints . If he loses to F S U it will be down hill from there on .

He better have them ready for F S U . Not one of Kelly's strongpoints . If he loses to F S U it will be down hill from there on .
Love the true fan approach. Still one of these "it's never enough unless we win a NC" attitudes, I see. The Irish could go undefeated and you'd still say "yeah, but what about that game where we only won by 2 points?" "He" better have them ready....if "he" loses then.....

You’re going from thread to thread bashing Kelly and being negative. You seem obsessed. What is the point?
I have never started a thread or even brought up Kelly. I started a thread about the offensive recruting compared to defense. But apparently you cannot be creditcal of any coaches or their decisions or you are automatically labeled hater and troll. I didn't realize the Homer's were so strong in this board.

I have never started a thread or even brought up Kelly. I started a thread about the offensive recruting compared to defense. But apparently you cannot be creditcal of any coaches or their decisions or you are automatically labeled hater and troll. I didn't realize the Homer's were so strong in this board.
You can always leave

We lost so many key parts......We lost the OL, QB, blocking TE and our best 2 WR's. Its just hard to replace all that in practice over an off season. If book came back, I'd say 11-1. If Tremble and Book and Ben, 12-0. I'd think we could win with some play makers while the line learned. I just cant imagine trotting a new line, QB, WR and TE out there and saying we will not struggle. I believe 80% have never started and 65% have never taken a snap as a first team starter. Just a ton to replace....Look, i live and ide ND....so I am with all you guys....12-0!!!! Natty!!! I just think this team makes its Natty run next year.
The group of tight ends we have will be a major strength. Loved Tremble but plenty of star power in the whole group.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
That was my point exactly
Notre Dame dominates unranked teams better than anyone but BAMA. It has been five years since we lost to one. Half a decade is a long time in college football. Look at Clemson--they lost to Sryacuse and should have lost to them twice. They were behind to BC last year.
Your point that Kelly has trouble against unranked teams is way off the mark. Way off !!
And most of the unranked teams we blow the hell out !
Kelly needs to focus on beating the legendary teams like Alabama and Clemson. Oh wait, we beat Clemson already.
Come on Kelly !! It is time to win a National Championship !! Peace !!

We also beat alot of ranked teams. Just not the top ones ! Except for Clemson last year !
The Irish are a better team this year. They are going to win it all !! You will see !!

Reactions: spenna and Pennick4
BK commented years ago that the players on his 1st two teams had not learned to expect to win. The players do now. This year will be a good test on how well that culture has taken hold. New QB, DC and OL. Replacing 13 players that left for the NFL. We should be favored almost every game. 10-2 or better would be a successful year for me.

BK commented years ago that the players on his 1st two teams had not learned to expect to win. The players do now. This year will be a good test on how well that culture has taken hold. New QB, DC and OL. Replacing 13 players that left for the NFL. We should be favored almost every game. 10-2 or better would be a successful year for me.
I want ND to win a NY6 Bowl game. Go 10-2 or 11-1 and win a big Bowl Game. ND still hasn’t won a NY6 bowl game since 1994. Lets get that done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT