ADVERTISEMENT

So, are we gonna be any good this year?

Great potential. But my prediction is Coan will start. He will have ints and almost derail the season. Buchner will come in n save the season

I respectfully disagree, Coan was protective with the ball while at Whisky. Assuming Pyne doesn’t transfer at the beginning of the season he’s 1B. Buchner sits 8 of 12 games. Sorry Irish fans.

I could care less what a few pro writers think about college football. I see no reason for this team finishing at worse 11-1. I think the boys will bring home a 12-0 record.

Hopefully they will be very good. They replacing many key players. The challenge is get the players to play as one well oiled machine even though quite a few will be first time starters or full time players at this level. On paper they have plenty of talent. Talent alone can win some games but against some teams they will also need to be playing “ clean” in order to win. I’ll stand by what I stated before . They need to win at FSU. That will set the tone. A loss would really hurt and could be a preview of things to come .

Reactions: IrishMike409
I think it is all about how the oline comes together. If they are a top 10 unit then I think ND will be able to put up enough points to get to a 10-2 or better season.

I for one, would love to see ND have a good season and win a big bowl game. I know we talk about competing for titles, but ND hasn't beaten a top 10 caliber team in a bowl game since like 94. I'd like to see that happen.

We have had a good 4 years. We just lost 13 players to the pros and have a new DC, QB and OL. There will be growing pains. We have a lot of question marks.

Schedule has some challenges. I am cautiously optimistic. Need good execution on offense, Freeman comes through on defense and newbies start to emerge.

The range is 12-0 to 8-4 I think. If I were to set an under/over line on wins it would be 9.5. I really want 10-2 in the regular season. I couldn't predict the losses but Wisky, Cincinnati, UNC, SC, Navy and Stanford could all beat us if we are sloppy.

UNC Howell is good but doesn't have the weapons he had last year. UC is good but ND D is better. USC is USC. WISKY will be tough be ND tougher. FSU -o line will be like swiss cheese.

Stanford and Navy-no,just no.Drew White will dominate Navy.Botelho will sack Stanford 3 times.

We have had a good 4 years. We just lost 13 players to the pros and have a new DC, QB and OL. There will be growing pains. We have a lot of question marks.

Schedule has some challenges. I am cautiously optimistic. Need good execution on offense, Freeman comes through on defense and newbies start to emerge.

The range is 12-0 to 8-4 I think. If I were to set an under/over line on wins it would be 9.5. I really want 10-2 in the regular season. I couldn't predict the losses but Wisky, Cincinnati, UNC, SC, Navy and Stanford could all beat us if we are sloppy.
We arent losing to Navy. Those days are long gone

Our defense is going to be nasty. We have a lot of talent and answers to those questions. Our new DC is a stud and we have multiple all american type players. Hamilton Mayer Patterson

We are too talented and our coaching staff is just too good to have a drop off. If we dont get to at least 10 wins in the reg season it would be a major disappointment

Hopefully they will be very good. They replacing many key players. The challenge is get the players to play as one well oiled machine even though quite a few will be first time starters or full time players at this level. On paper they have plenty of talent. Talent alone can win some games but against some teams they will also need to be playing “ clean” in order to win. I’ll stand by what I stated before . They need to win at FSU. That will set the tone. A loss would really hurt and could be a preview of things to come .
Not that that is going to happen but the Irish don't quit when adversity hits. Five ten + win seasons out of six and two out of the last three ND made the playoffs. The Irish are tough ! Physically and mentally !

*** Notre Dame has not lost to a unranked team in half a decade. Only Alabama has a longer streak.

The biggest question marks are Freeman, OL, and QB. I am traumatized by the Jon Tenuta and BVG hires. Like many of you I was all excited to get those guys and man were they bad. I'm not saying that will be the case with Freeman, but I just don't trust him yet.

I just don't know about Coan, but the good thing is has experience and we shouldn't be worried about him getting rattled and throwing 4 interceptions. The question is can he lift everyone else's play and lead?

The OL has the talent, but will they gel together and be a formidable group?

I really can't see why ND wouldn't go 12-0, if the above questions are answered positively. They may lose 1-2 on a bad day, but let's hope that doesn't happen. I do like the schedule and think it's very manageable. Some are bothered by seeing UNC after SC, but I think it's a good thing. 2 similar offenses back to back making it easier to prepare for.

irish have been for most of the last hundred years. No reason they wouldn't be this year.

QB play will be the key. The D should be enough to win most of the games if the O is any good at all. Wisconsin worries me. USC- thankfully they have the same coach but always a lot of talent and they might be skyhigh for us. With Decent QB play and the O line getting the job done frankly we should have an undefeated season. Then comes the playoffs and that is where we will know.

Stanford and Navy-no,just no.Drew White will dominate Navy.Botelho will sack Stanford 3 times.
Has Freeman ever coached against an option team? It is a different defense and definitely fitball. Freeman doesn't like fitball. How many years have we been assuming we would beat Stanford? I think we are around 3-6 against them under BK.

Who on the schedule beat us?

ND will be favorite and should win every game.

"Who on the schedule beat us?"

The middle part of the schedule is where ND will find a land mine -- Wisconsin, Cincinnati, Va Tech, USC, North Carolina --- while not over great teams, there is certainly enough talent to beat ND on a given Saturday.

That said, I think ND is capable of going 10-2 -- 11-1 this year.

I tend to agree with the ND writers at BG. The QB will be either Pyne or Buchner. My money is on Buchner but I don’t count out Drew.

Freeman can recruit. I don’t remember a great recruiting coach that wasn’t a great coach also, so I feel good about the D.

Kelly said he’s looking to get to the next level. Buchner or Pyne will get a shot to take them there. The D is solid. 12-0 and next level is here.

I tend to agree with the ND writers at BG. The QB will be either Pyne or Buchner. My money is on Buchner but I don’t count out Drew.

Freeman can recruit. I don’t remember a great recruiting coach that wasn’t a great coach also, so I feel good about the D.

Kelly said he’s looking to get to the next level. Buchner or Pyne will get a shot to take them there. The D is solid. 12-0 and next level is here.
Coan will be the starter for sure

Coan will be the starter for sure
I’m gonna go with Coach Kelly and the pros at BG. Especially since they agree with me. It’s possible, though unlikely, they are just reading my posts…

Someday you’ll be right about something though. Even a broken clock…

When you have a roster that "could" beat everyone on the schedule. You are a Top 5-8 football program. When you have a roster that "should" beat everyone on the schedule. You are Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Georgia.

I’m gonna go with Coach Kelly and the pros at BG. Especially since they agree with me. It’s possible, though unlikely, they are just reading my posts…

Someday you’ll be right about something though. Even a broken clock…
Coach Kelly had never said Coan wouldn't be the starter. And I don't know who you are talking about at BG but the guys at 247, ISD and coach d all think Coan starts.

So we'll see. I'll make a friendly wager with you since you are so confident though

Not as optimistic as others. I will own it if I’m wrong. I think Book covered lots of growing from Rees with his feet. I think we miss Trembles blocking more than we can know. I think losing the entire line will be an issue. I think losing a 3 year QB will take time to replace. When you really needed it. Wusu came thru and is gone and the lack of any real experience at the Wideouts hurts.

I think we do have talent but 8-4 would not be out of the realm for me. 10-2 would be a stretch. Line and QB is a tough full on refresh.

Talent? I don’t think anyone matches us there. Just new and young.

Not as optimistic as others. I will own it if I’m wrong. I think Book covered lots of growing from Rees with his feet. I think we miss Trembles blocking more than we can know. I think losing the entire line will be an issue. I think losing a 3 year QB will take time to replace. When you really needed it. Wusu came thru and is gone and the lack of any real experience at the Wideouts hurts.

I think we do have talent but 8-4 would not be out of the realm for me. 10-2 would be a stretch. Line and QB is a tough full on refresh.

Talent? I don’t think anyone matches us there. Just new and young.

I’m right there with you. People speculating about 12-0 are ignoring what we lost and the question marks around this team. I expect the offense to struggle most of the year, probably finishing around 50th or so nationally. I expect the defense will be very good, but also young in spots. We will give up more big plays than we did last year. I think we’ll finish with a top 20 defense. To me, that means something like 9-3 or 8-4. If we lose to FSU, I’m going to have memories of Texas 2016 where everybody said they were back, when in reality we were just bad.

Reactions: ftnfan62
I’m right there with you. People speculating about 12-0 are ignoring what we lost and the question marks around this team. I expect the offense to struggle most of the year, probably finishing around 50th or so nationally. I expect the defense will be very good, but also young in spots. We will give up more big plays than we did last year. I think we’ll finish with a top 20 defense. To me, that means something like 9-3 or 8-4. If we lose to FSU, I’m going to have memories of Texas 2016 where everybody said they were back, when in reality we were just bad.
No chance we go 8 and 4. Too much talent and coaching is too good. Culture is conpletely different now.

Our offense will be better than people think because Coan is a lot better than people are giving him credit for. Defense is going to be nasty.

10 win minimum season

Why do you think the O struggles?

2 AA on the OL, along with more 4-5 star talent. Maybe the best backfield in the country. 5th year- low floor QB.

No chance we go 8 and 4. Too much talent and coaching is too good. Culture is conpletely different now.

Our offense will be better than people think because Coan is a lot better than people are giving him credit for. Defense is going to be nasty.

10 win minimum season
Excellent points Golson5. BK wouldn't have brought Coan here if our boys were ready to take over running the offense. I really like what I saw at the Blue Gold game. The players showed a lot of promise. I am thankful we're not playing next years schedule with this years team. You can win as you replace players, if you recruit decent players. ND has reached that point where they are reloading rather than rebuild every two or three years.

2 AA on the OL, along with more 4-5 star talent. Maybe the best backfield in the country. 5th year- low floor QB.

We lost so many key parts......We lost the OL, QB, blocking TE and our best 2 WR's. Its just hard to replace all that in practice over an off season. If book came back, I'd say 11-1. If Tremble and Book and Ben, 12-0. I'd think we could win with some play makers while the line learned. I just cant imagine trotting a new line, QB, WR and TE out there and saying we will not struggle. I believe 80% have never started and 65% have never taken a snap as a first team starter. Just a ton to replace....Look, i live and ide ND....so I am with all you guys....12-0!!!! Natty!!! I just think this team makes its Natty run next year.

We lost so many key parts......We lost the OL, QB, blocking TE and our best 2 WR's. Its just hard to replace all that in practice over an off season. If book came back, I'd say 11-1. If Tremble and Book and Ben, 12-0. I'd think we could win with some play makers while the line learned. I just cant imagine trotting a new line, QB, WR and TE out there and saying we will not struggle. I believe 80% have never started and 65% have never taken a snap as a first team starter. Just a ton to replace....Look, i live and ide ND....so I am with all you guys....12-0!!!! Natty!!! I just think this team makes its Natty run next year.
I see QB as a wash. Losing Ben is no big deal to me. We'll be more athletic and faster at wr esp if Austin is healthy.

You're looking at all the negatives. What about a OC with a year under his belt now, what about players improving like Kyren Mayer Davis and Tyree. A healthy Austin Keys and Lenzy compared to last year.

There is no excuses. We are too good now to have down years

How did I forget to mention MM- the best TE in the country!?!? Too much sun, brats, and burgers today.....

I see QB as a wash. Losing Ben is no big deal to me. We'll be more athletic and faster at wr esp if Austin is healthy.

You're looking at all the negatives. What about a OC with a year under his belt now, what about players improving like Kyren Mayer Davis and Tyree. A healthy Austin Keys and Lenzy compared to last year.

There is no excuses. We are too good now to have down years
Not seen much Fromm Keys or Lenzy. They are fast but have not to date been play maker like Ben, McKinley or Mapletron were. Austin I have never seen play. Rumor is he is good but seems hard to count on. Kyren, Mayer and Tyree are all starters on any team and AA top caliber. All need a OL. I stated I feel we will have more talent than anyone we play. Just replacing 80% of your starters on offense feels to me like we struggle. Coan is the wildcard. Just was not blown away in the BG. Less than 60%, no TD’s and a pick. Missed two wide open receivers in the endzone and I don’t think he scored.

Sure some rust. The OL was anything but dominate in a BG. They rarely could move our DL. Talent is there. We should hit our stride 7-8 games in and will be formidable.

Not seen much Fromm Keys or Lenzy. They are fast but have not to date been play maker like Ben, McKinley or Mapletron were. Austin I have never seen play. Rumor is he is good but seems hard to count on. Kyren, Mayer and Tyree are all starters on any team and AA top caliber. All need a OL. I stated I feel we will have more talent than anyone we play. Just replacing 80% of your starters on offense feels to me like we struggle. Coan is the wildcard. Just was not blown away in the BG. Less than 60%, no TD’s and a pick. Missed two wide open receivers in the endzone and I don’t think he scored.

Sure some rust. The OL was anything but dominate in a BG. They rarely could move our DL. Talent is there. We should hit our stride 7-8 games in and will be formidable.
Mckinley wasnt a playmaker until this past year. Chase wasn't on last years team. Ben was meh. Coan played against our D in the spring, he won't see a D that good until the postseason.

The only concern I have on offense is the OL coming together. I think they'll be good too though by the time we play Wisconsin

Reactions: Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT