ADVERTISEMENT

Shamrock stickers on helmets

Get Nasty

I've posted how many times?
Jul 26, 2006
Not sure if mentioned but it looks like freeman adopted the stickers in helmets concept. I saw some photos.
Actually looks pretty good but not sure how a full helmet would look. I love the golden dome helmet.

Not sure if mentioned but it looks like freeman adopted the stickers in helmets concept. I saw some photos.
Actually looks pretty good but not sure how a full helmet would look. I love the golden dome helmet.
Sampson says they've had them in the past either for bowl practices or spring ball. I think they're a good idea but I wouldn't expect to see them in games.

Sampson says they've had them in the past either for bowl practices or spring ball. I think they're a good idea but I wouldn't expect to see them in games.
Yeah that makes sense…. Cool for practice though as they do stand out

Back when Ara was coach they had stars.

1966-nd-v2.png

Exactly right Irishherb.
I remember the stars maybe in '73. I never knew if they were for captains or for big plays or great games or what. But they seemed to be very sporadic at best.

I remember the stars maybe in '73. I never knew if they were for captains or for big plays or great games or what. But they seemed to be very sporadic at best.
Yup. I remember that also. Tom Clements had stars on the front and Wayne Bullock did as well.

Reactions: Kelso86
They had shamrocks on the side of helmets in the very early 60’s

Last edited:
Reactions: tkirish
I remember some other ND coach used them for a while. I can't remember whom but it didn't last long.

They had shamrocks on the side of helmets in the very early 60’s
And one year they had the players' numbers. But we are talking about stickers for achievements, not decorative stickers.

I'd even be fine with the Monogram on the helmet. I'm with Lou Holtz on this. I think it looks slick. I'd even like these uniforms full time even though the ornate graphics are a touch over the top.

All the traditionalists gonna hate on me but this uniform is Notre Dame all the way.

notre-dame-top-10.jpg

Reactions: FightingIrish44
I'd even be fine with the Monogram on the helmet. I'm with Lou Holtz on this. I think it looks slick. I'd even like these uniforms full time even though the ornate graphics are a touch over the top.

All the traditionalists gonna hate on me but this uniform is Notre Dame all the way.

notre-dame-top-10.jpg
Really? Then I’m assuming you want us to look like the Naval Academy.

• Haha
Reactions: SubwaydomerDFW
What do you even mean? Why am I responding to you?

Are you completely unaware how similar the unis already are?

I'm really lost where you were even going with this buddy..

10NOCERA1-superJumbo.jpg
You are the one who said "all the traditionalists gonna hate on me." So what did you expect?

Reactions: spenna
Something that wasn't unintelligible as a response..

Ad hominem attack, a funny joke, or generalized insult would have been just fine..
Unfortunately, the first string board traditionalists are off for the holiday, so you gotta take what you get.

Reactions: SubwaydomerDFW
What do you even mean? Why am I responding to you?

Are you completely unaware how similar the unis already are?

I'm really lost where you were even going with this buddy..

10NOCERA1-superJumbo.jpg
I wonder why you‘re responding to me too. If you can’t recognize the differences, I feel sorry for you “Buddy.”

And one year they had the players' numbers. But we are talking about stickers for achievements, not decorative stickers.
The shamrock on the side of the helmet was standard and not reflective of any individual acheivement

Speaking of uniforms… what I would love to see is the unis vs Wisconsin minus the gold sleeves. Any old timers remember ND ever having stripes on the pants? I and others have been bitchin about Nd’s pants for years

Speaking of uniforms… what I would love to see is the unis vs Wisconsin minus the gold sleeves. Any old timers remember ND ever having stripes on the pants? I and others have been bitchin about Nd’s pants for years
Notre Dame has had tons of different uniforms, but I don't think they ever had stripes on the pants. I wondered if the uniforms they wore against Wisconsin were the ones they were going to wear last year when ND was supposed to be the home team at Lambeau Field because they do have a bit of a Packers look about them.

Reactions: NDIRISH53
I hate That chili stuff on grown man helmet. Let your number on your shirt do the talk

To me, the plain gold helmet is an iconic look for ND. I like it when they try different looks for the jerseys, but hope they leave the helmet alone. The current helmet is perfect in my opinion. Recognizing accomplishments via shamrocks is a great addition to the practices, but hope this never gets adopted for games.

That's what happens when you hire a buckeye.

And what does where he went to school have anything to do with this? You think Freeman is going to do away with ND tradition and start putting Shamrocks all over the helmets?

And what does where he went to school have anything to do with this? You think Freeman is going to do away with ND tradition and start putting Shamrocks all over the helmets?
Maybe he was joking? Tbone, that is.

I was disappointed when they abandoned the leather helmet. Of course I was just a kid and just thought about how cool they looked, not considering safety.

Notre Dame has had tons of different uniforms, but I don't think they ever had stripes on the pants. I wondered if the uniforms they wore against Wisconsin were the ones they were going to wear last year when ND was supposed to be the home team at Lambeau Field because they do have a bit of a Packers look about them.
I really liked them for the most part. I think the number font and the pants were much better

I was disappointed when they abandoned the leather helmet. Of course I was just a kid and just thought about how cool they looked, not considering safety.

Not sure as to which helmet was/is safer. Back in the days of leather helmets and no face masks, players were less likely to lead with the head. They learned to tackle and block using their arms and shoulders, unlike today where many lead with the head.

ADVERTISEMENT