ADVERTISEMENT

Several ND opponents have bye weeks

Dec 29, 2005
prior to facing the Irish. In a 7 game stretch, 6 of ND’s opponents have byes. Wisconsin, Cincinnati, VaTech, USC, UNC, and Virginia. I know good teams have to overcome these things but it’s seemingly become the standard of many of NDs opponents. The last few years has seen similar schedules with several opponents having byes prior to playing ND.

However, this is a seemingly young team that doesn’t appear to have the senior heavy leadership ND had the past few years. Several of those teams listed are very good opponents and only having one week to prepare while the opposition has two weeks several times consecutively is definitely a hindrance for the Irish.

Not sure why this is happening so often now but as I said, it’s become more the norm against ND then the exception.

happened a few years back.

There are 3 teams as talented as we are, UNC, FSU and USC. One of those has a very good coach. One has home field advantage.

Wisc is just a step below but has experience on us.

the others would be an big upset and a week off just means we are not very good.

happened a few years back.

There are 3 teams as talented as we are, UNC, FSU and USC. One of those has a very good coach. One has home field advantage.

Wisc is just a step below but has experience on us.

the others would be an big upset and a week off just means we are not very good.
Unc doesn't have our talent. Either does FSU. USC does but not at the line of scrimmage

Your key line was that this is something good teams have to overcome. I think it's similar to having great assistant coaches leave for HC jobs - it's an obstacle but also a sign that your team is having success.

The two teams that really stand out are Wisconsin and Virginia. They both decided it was worth playing 9 games in a row in order to get a bye before ND. That's respect!

On the talent gap, I think a lot of people would be surprised at how mediocre FSU's recruiting has been. They have a reputation of always pulling in great classes even during bad years, but their composite team ranking the past four years has been #22, #22, #18, & #11. That's closer to what people expect of Stanford than FSU.

This has been true every year that we have been in the ACC. At first I found it frustrating but it is no guarantee the opponent will play better. Mostly it allows tired legs to recover and injuries to heal. Outside of that, it seems mostly to be an overrated benefit.

At what position are lacking?
Mainly defense but even offense. They lost a ton of playmakers. They are not an elite program and are not elite in recruiting.

They have a quality team but far from elite and deep

Mainly defense but even offense. They lost a ton of playmakers. They are not an elite program and are not elite in recruiting.

They have a quality team but far from elite and deep
All odds-makers have ND and UNC close in the rankings. Some favor ND, some favor UNC. UNC is improved in the trenches, having almost all starters back on both sides. Their linebackers will be nasty. While they lost one of the best ever running back tandems, they have promising backs. They lost two great receivers, but look at the young receivers they have (one torched ND for 2 TD’s last Year), and Beau Corrales will be back and healthy. And at QB, ND is invisible in UNC’s rear mirror.

All odds-makers have ND and UNC close in the rankings. Some favor ND, some favor UNC. UNC is improved in the trenches, having almost all starters back on both sides. Their linebackers will be nasty. While they lost one of the best ever running back tandems, they have promising backs. They lost two great receivers, but look at the young receivers they have (one torched ND for 2 TD’s last Year), and Beau Corrales will be back and healthy. And at QB, ND is invisible in UNC’s rear mirror.
North Carolina will be overrated again.

Reactions: Golson5
North Carolina will be overrated again.
This regular season schedule doesn’t have a game going into where Notre Dame is clearly the underdog. In the past couple of seasons, Notre Dame was not expected to defeat either Georgia or Clemson (before Trevor Lawrencewas ruled out due to COVID-19). The Irish are considered a slight underdog against Wisconsin right now, but when looking at the contest in the preseason, it seems like a coin-flip. Otherwise, the only other game Notre Dame isn’t favored in is North Carolina, as the early odds are that it’s a pick-em.

Yet we beat them by 14 at their place last year when they were more talented.

I could tell you were childish
My last word on this. I was simply being optimistic about my team, pointing out what I considered to be their strengths, but you sought to put them down, Childish behavior.

Our coach went to his house last year and beat him by 14 points
This regular season schedule doesn’t have a game going into where Notre Dame is clearly the underdog. In the past couple of seasons, Notre Dame was not expected to defeat either Georgia or Clemson (before Trevor Lawrencewas ruled out due to COVID-19). The Irish are considered a slight underdog against Wisconsin right now, but when looking at the contest in the preseason, it seems like a coin-flip. Otherwise, the only other game Notre Dame isn’t favored in is North Carolina, as the early odds are that it’s a pick-em.
ND is an underdog vs Wisconsin?

UNC took Clemson to the wire at least once. But unlike FSU/Miami they do not seem to have the continuous stream of recruiting to maintain themselves @#2 in the ACC, yet. Fair?

UNC took Clemson to the wire at least once. But unlike FSU/Miami they do not seem to have the continuous stream of recruiting to maintain themselves @#2 in the ACC, yet. Fair?
Not really, Mack has turned things around somewhat since his arrival. Per 247 Sports: (final recruit ranking) 2019 (before Mack): UM27, FSU18, UNC30; 2020:UM17, FSU22, UNC13; 2021: UM11, FSU22, UNC14; 2022(to date): UM45, FSU9, UNC18. I will not be surprised if UNC has top10 2022 recruiting class when it’s all over, particularly in terms of star rating.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbonesays
Heels lost 2 great RB's and 2 excellent WR's---return most of the OL and DL but I wouldn't call those groups elite

I think along with Howell obviously their Secondary is the strength of the team.

Heels lost 2 great RB's and 2 excellent WR's---return most of the OL and DL but I wouldn't call those groups elite

I think along with Howell obviously their Secondary is the strength of the team.
Carter, Williams and Brown were about 3500 yards of offense that is now gone. I was so mad that they opted out against TAMU along with Surratt. I wanted to see how Elko could handle them.

247 Sports thinks UNC offense will be elite in 2021: “Why it will be elite: The Tar Heels finished second in the ACC behind Clemson in total offense during Sam Howell's freshman season in 2019 then bettered that production by 63 yard last fall to take top honors in the conference. Javonte Williams and Michael Carter take 2,385 yards rushing and 28 touchdowns with them to the NFL, but North Carolina is confident in the ballcarriers who return in Phil Longo's wide open attack. As a junior, Howell will enter the 2021 season as one of the nation's top quarterback prospects with a chance to play himself into a Top 5 selection. A stat line of 4,000 yards and 40 touchdowns isn't out of the realm of possibilities for the decorated former four-star and in-state star.”

247 Sports thinks UNC offense will be elite in 2021: “Why it will be elite: The Tar Heels finished second in the ACC behind Clemson in total offense during Sam Howell's freshman season in 2019 then bettered that production by 63 yard last fall to take top honors in the conference. Javonte Williams and Michael Carter take 2,385 yards rushing and 28 touchdowns with them to the NFL, but North Carolina is confident in the ballcarriers who return in Phil Longo's wide open attack. As a junior, Howell will enter the 2021 season as one of the nation's top quarterback prospects with a chance to play himself into a Top 5 selection. A stat line of 4,000 yards and 40 touchdowns isn't out of the realm of possibilities for the decorated former four-star and in-state star.”
I see no other names but Howell

The ACC usually does this to ND because they are not a full member. But, the other non-ACC teams are a bit of a surprise.

Heels have something going for them which always helps-----a very easy schedule.

Heels have something going for them which always helps-----a very easy schedule.
TeamRankings should have checked with you before they put out their SOS ranking. They have UNC with 10th most difficult schedule and Notre Dame with 15th most difficult schedule.

“TeamRankings should have checked with you before they put out their SOS ranking. They have UNC with 10th most difficult schedule and Notre Dame with 15th most difficult schedule.”

The publication that has an ACC schedule w/ no clemson & has Georgia st & wofford on it as its 10th toughest in the country shouldn’t bother to do schedule rankings.

And in no way is it (UNC’s schedule) tougher than ND’s.
I don’t like to get in “peeing contests”, but I do like to see the real story. I suspect that Ga. State will be every bit as good this year as Purdue and Navy, 2 of Norte Dame’s upcoming opponents.
To wit:
“If all goes according to plan, this should be the best Georgia State team since it kicked off life in the FBS world back in 2013.

The offense is beyond loaded, it’s deep, it has all-star playmakers, and it has the line that should be among the Sun Belt’s best.

The defense might have key replacements to find, but the secondary is terrific and the pass rush should still be strong. Throw in All-Sun Belt PK Noel Ruiz and look out – head coach Shawn Elliott has put together a great group.”

ADVERTISEMENT