ADVERTISEMENT

Saban and age

ftnfan62

I've posted how many times?
Aug 1, 2010
Great coach, no doubt but he is getting up there at 70.

I think Lou hung it up at 67. A kid signing with Bama today would go into his junior year with one of the oldest coaches in CFB history moving to 75.

Freeman might need to learn a few things but seems like relating to someone who has Elvis on his Ipod play list seems like time is working against Bama.

I think Lou hung it up at 67. A kid signing with Bama today would go into his junior year with one of the oldest coaches in CFB history moving to 75.

Freeman might need to learn a few things but seems like relating to someone who has Elvis on his Ipod play list seems like time is working against Bama.
Paterno 84, Bowden 80. Saban still has plenty of runway.

Have you listened to Saban’s press conferences? Sharp guy, focused and shows no lack of energy.

Paterno 84, Bowden 80. Saban still has plenty of runway.

Do you feel Paterno and Saban where at the same level when the clipped 70? Bowden rarely lost more than 2 a year until he hit 70. His last 10 years he averaged almost 5 losses per season. Paterno was not much better. It sucks getting old, hell at 58 I’m starting to forget crap. It happens. You can’t outrun age. It softens you. Your slower. Maybe he is the anomaly but I doubt it. Sign today and by your junior year that coach is 74. He is not going to be the same.

Have you listened to Saban’s press conferences? Sharp guy, focused and shows no lack of energy.

I have, he is sharp not doubt now. It’s not about today for me. It’s about 3 years when you sign. It’s rare not to see the drop as you cross 70. There is a reason they don’t allow commercial pilots after 65. Maybe he is the GOAT and outruns Father Time for 10 more years. I doubt it.

Do you feel Paterno and Saban where at the same level when the clipped 70? Bowden rarely lost more than 2 a year until he hit 70. His last 10 years he averaged almost 5 losses per season. Paterno was not much better. It sucks getting old, hell at 58 I’m starting to forget crap. It happens. You can’t outrun age. It softens you. Your slower. Maybe he is the anomaly but I doubt it. Sign today and by your junior year that coach is 74. He is not going to be the same.
Just for kicks I looked it up … in Paternos last 7 years coaching his win pct was .767, which is almost exactly his career win pct and he won 11 games 3 times.

Saban wont be around forever and Alabama will almost certainly see some dropoff when he retires. Right now he’s pulling in top 5 recruiting classes and putting a top 2 team on the field every year in a way we’ve never seen the sport dominated. His age is not a factor for future recruits or current players.

From 90 to 99, Paterno lost 26 games. From 2000 to 2009, he lost 46 games. If you add 2010, he lost 6 that year alone. I dont see that as the same type of record or coach. Maybe we are looking at a different time period.

You can also take Joe from 60-70 (28 losses) and 70-80 (45 losses).

Bowden from 60-70 had a similar pattern. 15 losses in his 60's, 34 through his 70's.

Again, maybe Saban is just a GOD. I guess we will see.

Last edited:

If you can’t beat him …hope and pray he retires! Lols

I have, he is sharp not doubt now. It’s not about today for me. It’s about 3 years when you sign. It’s rare not to see the drop as you cross 70. There is a reason they don’t allow commercial pilots after 65. Maybe he is the GOAT and outruns Father Time for 10 more years. I doubt it.
Father time is undefeated.....

Reactions: ftnfan62
Pete Carroll is older, and winning in the NFL is a far far tougher gig.

Just ask Nick Saban.

Pete is 30 days older than Nick, and at 70 he lost 10 games last year, his worst season outside of his first in the NFL. Maybe this year is his comeback year.

Pete is 30 days older than Nick, and at 70 he lost 10 games last year, his worst season outside of his first in the NFL. Maybe this year is his comeback year.
And Nick Saban left the NFL after finishing below .500 two years into his NFL career.

It's really really tough to coach in a league where parity is the #1 goal, and the talent is spread out.

Nick found that out, and headed back to college.

Last edited:
From 90 to 99, Paterno lost 26 games. From 2000 to 2009, he lost 46 games. If you add 2010, he lost 6 that year alone. I dont see that as the same type of record or coach. Maybe we are looking at a different time period.

You can also take Joe from 60-70 (28 losses) and 70-80 (45 losses).

Bowden from 60-70 had a similar pattern. 15 losses in his 60's, 34 through his 70's.

Again, maybe Saban is just a GOD. I guess we will see.
2005-2011 … looks like Joe Pa had them winning again. Three 11 win seasons, three top 10 finishes, no losing seasons. Use the Google. I’m not a PSU fan but I remember there being doubts about Joe and then they started winning again, and then we all know what happened.

2005-2011 … looks like Joe Pa had them winning again. Three 11 win seasons, three top 10 finishes, no losing seasons. Use the Google. I’m not a PSU fan but I remember there being doubts about Joe and then they started winning again, and then we all know what happened.
Well he was head coach in name only during that time

Shifting perspective mightily. Dude is a grandpa and the kids are in the fun ages, loves the kiddos and has a bad ass lake house.

Time to step back, get in the broadcast booth and enjoy family. Family way more important than football accomplishments. I don't see him coaching into his 80s. Probably 3-4 more seasons.

Shifting perspective mightily. Dude is a grandpa and the kids are in the fun ages, loves the kiddos and has a bad ass lake house.

Time to step back, get in the broadcast booth and enjoy family. Family way more important than football accomplishments. I don't see him coaching into his 80s. Probably 3-4 more seasons.
Telling someone else when to “..step back...” and what is “...more important...” within their own particular family and situation is a slippery slope.

You do you.

Telling someone else when to “..step back...” and what is “...more important...” within their own particular family and situation is a slippery slope.

You do you.
I was referencing his change of tune within the last 2-3 years. He’s been recorded saying how he has changed his priorities and talks about the quality time he gets to spend with his grandchildren.

im not telling the goat anything just repeating it for y’all’s information.

he has also inquired about stepping into the broadcast booth and away from Bama about 6 years ago, so I was making an inference that he won’t step away from the game completely.

can’t refute that I know you guys love to argue til you’re blue in the face.

A bunch of JoePa pedo club members were arrested and went to jail!

If you're thinking of him leaving if he's near 70, you can put that one to rest. Does he look like a man who's tired of winning?

Just signed extension through 2030.

And Nick Saban left the NFL after finishing below .500 two years into his NFL career.

It's really really tough to coach in a league where parity is the #1 goal, and the talent is spread out.

Nick found that out, and headed back to college.
This is so stupid, Saban was told he would make personnel decisions and then was overruled when he wanted Brees. We see how that worked out for the Saints. Miami was the first team out of the playoffs his first season at 9–7. Year two the Brees debacle, which he made known he was very upset about. They signed Dante Culpepper despite Saban’s objections due to DC’s recent health/injuries, and sure enough Culpepper was a mess.

I’m not a Saban fan but your attempt to diminish his success is preposterous.

ADVERTISEMENT