ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Day + Mike Yurcich + Offensive Talent

You must have an insight into the program that none of us else have. Also access to private conversations between the coaches and the meetings. As for me, I have no clue why we have chose the path that we did for our qb coaching situation.
Obviously I don't. No one here does despite what some occasionally claim. I do have ten years of observing trends and watching the program under Brian Kelly. He likes to control the offense, he likes to run it the way he likes to run it, and he likes to hire people who are his friends who think exactly like him. If you're a real legit coaching talent who has options you take this into consideration when choosing a career path.

“....about your man crush Book. Sorry to disappoint you but pretty sure he has a girlfriend. But you can keep trying to catfish him online lol.”

Lol, I hear there’s wedding bells for you and Justin fields pretty soon. Be careful though, if things don’t go well w/ you two, I’d hate for him to leave you like he did Georgia. ;)

“....about your man crush Book. Sorry to disappoint you but pretty sure he has a girlfriend. But you can keep trying to catfish him online lol.”

Lol, I hear there’s wedding bells for you and Justin fields pretty soon. Be careful though, if things don’t go well w/ you two, I’d hate for him to leave you like he did Georgia. ;)
Bodi? Is that you under yet another login? Or Bodis lackey lol? Either way pretty pathetic. Please show me how many threads I started on Justin Fields. I compared him maybe once or twice as far as qb development and the Osu qb coaches. Unlike you I don't start multiple threads with your panties in a bunch because people don't blindly love Book like you do. Nice try Bodi.

Obviously I don't. No one here does despite what some occasionally claim. I do have ten years of observing trends and watching the program under Brian Kelly. He likes to control the offense, he likes to run it the way he likes to run it, and he likes to hire people who are his friends who think exactly like him. If you're a real legit coaching talent who has options you take this into consideration when choosing a career path.
Chip Long was none of those things.

OSU just TOTALLY dismantled a team that was as hot as anyone in CF. And if it wasn't for the self-Imposed mistakes (3 fumbles deep) they would have done the same to PSU last week. That is one very scary and talented team (an understatement)

When this season is done, this team might be one all future very good/great Ohio St. teams are compared to.

28.6 SRS right now (margin of victory adjusted for strength of schedule)

Modern day highs:

Nebraska 1995, 26.86
Clemson 2018, 26.5
Miami 2001, 26.17
USC 2004, 26.06, 2005 USC, 25.57
Alabama 2016, 25.62
Texas, 2005, 24.98
ND 1988, 24.35
LSU 2011, 24.27

Only ones higher than OSU’s right now are from the 1970s and before

—Game Control: 99.9, tied for highest we have data for
—Avg. win probability: 85% (highest we have data for going back to 2005). This is crazy as most title teams are around 72%—76%.

Wisconsin is a very, very good team that if not for a fluke loss to Illinois, might be in contention for a playoff spot.

If Ohio St. beats Wisconsin, playoff team 1, and playoff team 2 all convincingly, then this team could very well arguably be the best team of the modern era.

When this season is done, this team might be one all future very good/great Ohio St. teams are compared to.

Modern day highs:

Nebraska 1995, 26.86
Clemson 2018, 26.5
Miami 2001, 26.17
Alabama 2016, 25.62
Texas, 2005, 24.98
ND 1988, 24.35
LSU 2011, 24.27

—Avg. win probability: 85% (highest we have data for going back to 2005). This is crazy as most title teams are around 72%—76%.

Wisconsin is a very, very good team that if not for a fluke loss to Illinois, might be in contention for a playoff spot.

If Ohio St. beats Wisconsin, playoff team 1, and playoff team 2 all convincingly, then this team could very well arguably be the best team of the modern era.
No way the best team of the era. I don't even think they'll beat LSU.

Chip Long was none of those things.
And he hired chip long after he had almost run the program off the rails by hiring all his buddies and ignoring their poor performances and temporarily changed his ways. Same with elko and Lea.

Got some success under his belt and went right back to passing over fantastic potential home run hires for OL coach and put a good buddy in there. Guess which unit under performed the most this year...

And he hired chip long after he had almost run the program off the rails by hiring all his buddies and ignoring their poor performances and temporarily changed his ways. Same with elko and Lea.

Got some success under his belt and went right back to passing over fantastic potential home run hires for OL coach and put a good buddy in there. Guess which unit under performed the most this year...
Ouch!

Suppose they do and the metrics are as good as one better than any other team’s. Then what?
Id have to see how they look. Id take 01 Miami and 04 SC as some of the top teams. Im not sure this Ohio team is as good as Clemson was last year. Urban had a great team at Florida that I think would beat this team too. This is without mentioning some of Alabamas juggernaut teams. Im not seeing that type of greatness with this Ohio team

“Bodi? Is that you under yet another login? Or Bodis lackey lol? Either way pretty pathetic. Please show me how many threads I started on Justin Fields. I compared him maybe once or twice as far as qb development and the Osu qb coaches. Unlike you I don't start multiple threads with your panties in a bunch because people don't blindly love Book like you do. Nice try Bodi.”

No, not bodi, I just thought it was funny how you were ragging on someone else as having a man crush on a player when you’ve mentioned a few times how fields is elite & is a great student. I guess you can dish it out but can’t take it? I doubt we’ll be on the invitation list, but maybe bodi & I will crash it. Congrats, and may you and Justin live happily ever after.

Modern day highs:

Nebraska 1995, 26.86
Clemson 2018, 26.5
Miami 2001, 26.17
Alabama 2016, 25.62
Texas, 2005, 24.98
ND 1988, 24.35
LSU 2011, 24.27

Never bought into those metrics. Ohio St is a very good team. They are not an all time team and I dont think the best team this year.

Never bought into those metrics. Ohio St is a very good team. They are not an all time team and I dont think the best team this year.

The metrics suggest Wisconsin is a top 5–top 6 team and Ohio St. will have defeated the Badgers twice this season.

This is a season in which three very good teams exist, all of them with elite QBs.

If Ohio St. soundly defeats Wisconsin twice (looks like soundly again tonight despite the start), then maybe Clemson and LSU, it has a very good case as the best team of the last 25 years.

The metrics suggest Wisconsin is a top 5–top 6 team and Ohio St. will have defeated the Badgers twice this season.

This is a season in which three very good teams exist, all of them with elite QBs.

If Ohio St. soundly defeats Wisconsin twice (looks like soundly again tonight despite the start), then maybe Clemson and LSU, it has a very good case as the best team of the last 25 years.
Then I have a bigger issue with the metrics if they put Wisconsin at 5

Then I have a bigger issue with the metrics if they put Wisconsin at 5

Wisconsin isn’t “put” there, but rather it grades out at that spot.

When taking all plays not in garbage time into account, on both defense and offense, taking into account luck, opponent strength, opponets’ opponent strength, location, etc., Wisconsin rates out as 5th or 6th best in building a winning margin per play.

Wisconsin isn’t “put” there, but rather it grades out at that spot.

When taking all plays not in garbage time into account, on both defense and offense, taking into account luck, opponent strength, opponets’ opponent strength, location, etc., Wisconsin rates out as 5th or 6th best in building a winning margin per play.
Then I believe whatever they use to come up with that ranking is trash. Is that similar to Chases silly metric?

Wisconsin would be the 6th best team in the sec

Lsu
Bama
Georgia
Auburn
Florida
Wisconsin

Then I believe whatever they use to come up with that ranking is trash. Is that similar to Chases silly metric?

Wisconsin would be the 6th best team in the sec

Lsu
Bama
Georgia
Auburn
Florida
Wisconsin
Yes it is chases silly metric because they are the same person.

Too much winning?

Wow... Just wow. Two years in a row. Michigan doesn't belong on the same field as Ohio State and Ryan Day took over as Jim Harbaugh's daddy as soon as Urban Meyer left... Mike Yurcich has turned Justin Fields into a superstar.

Had Ohio State not dropped a wide open touchdown (Olave never does that) or muffed that punt, Ohio State might have scored 65 on them today... In Ann Arbor.

Congrats to the Buckeyes. Elite program!
Be happy you don't have to play them. They would destroy you.

"He likes to control the offense, he likes to run it the way he likes to run it, and he likes to hire people who are his friends who think exactly like him."

I thought when he hired Chip Long it was due to the fact that he did not have an association with him the past (in addition to his professional qualifications)?

"He likes to control the offense, he likes to run it the way he likes to run it, and he likes to hire people who are his friends who think exactly like him."

I thought when he hired Chip Long it was due to the fact that he did not have an association with him the past (in addition to his professional qualifications)?
Someone else already pointed this out. Like I said, after he almost wrecked the program he actually went out and hired two coaches from outside his wedding photos.

Not long after that we played in the playoffs. But also not long after that he went right back to his old ways and hired a good buddy to coach the offensive line. Now it's the most under performing unit on offense despite consistently having the best recruiting classes.

What I've seen since Long became OC is an offense that slowly looks more and more like what BK likes to run and the same problems that have caused the offense to under perform resurface.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
Someone else already pointed this out. Like I said, after he almost wrecked the program he actually went out and hired two coaches from outside his wedding photos.

Not long after that we played in the playoffs. But also not long after that he went right back to his old ways and hired a good buddy to coach the offensive line. Now it's the most under performing unit on offense despite consistently having the best recruiting classes.

What I've seen since Long became OC is an offense that slowly looks more and more like what BK likes to run and the same problems that have caused the offense to under perform resurface.
Quinn has got to go. He was not even close to the best possible hire kelly could have made and that is completely unacceptable. Todd Lyght needs to be replaced somehow as well. He can have a place in the program but he is not the best man ND could get at the position. An exception to the rule is mike Elston. He is a guy Kelly goes back with but he is very qualified and gets the job done with the players and in recruiting.

QB coach / OC. He's done an incredible job with Fields over the course of a year. Two great offensive minds working together.

The guy calling the plays isn't the only guy developing the game plan or coaching the kids. It takes a village.
Did you see Day told Yurcich to look around. Basically Day didnt want him at OSU anymore. My guess is the offense doesnt miss a beat next year without him

Did you see Day told Yurcich to look around. Basically Day didnt want him at OSU anymore. My guess is the offense doesnt miss a beat next year without him
not factual at all. in fact quite the contrary. they offered him more money to stay but Ryan Day is not giving up the play calling there. Yurcich basically doubled his money to do what he does best. It's also the best way to get an opportunity to run your own program one day. some OH St. fans are just offended that someone would actually leave them.

Last edited:

This is total BS. They offered him a raise and wanted him to stay. He wanted to be his own playcaller and Herman gave him that opportunity. What how much Sam Ehlinger improves next year.

Funny. Same result as the Irish last year. Undefeated season. Beaten by Clemson in their last game.

This is total BS. They offered him a raise and wanted him to stay. He wanted to be his own playcaller and Herman gave him that opportunity. What how much Sam Ehlinger improves next year.
You are wrong. Go to the 247 site on Ohio State. There it's a story up. How do you post a link. I'll copy it on here. But i don't know how to do it.

The headline is Mike Yurcich leaving ohio state to be Texas OC

In the article it states Ryan Day informed Yurcich to look around. Also Mike was hard to work with.

247 sports article on OSU website.

Don't call me out as BS and a liar when you don't know the actual truth.

What I wrote is the truth

You are wrong. Go to the 247 site on Ohio State. There it's a story up. How do you post a link. I'll copy it on here. But i don't know how to do it.

In the article it states Ryan Day informed Yurcich to look around. Also Mike was hard to work with.

not true. none of it. i'll take my info ANYDAY .

Reactions: jcswoopnh
not true. none of it. i'll take my info ANYDAY .
So you have better sources than the Ohio state site covering Ohio State sports??

I highly doubt you have any inside info to OSUs program. Highly highly doubt it.

And if you do, theres no way its better sources that the site that covers them 12 months a year.

Sorry you were wrong.

So you have better sources than the Ohio state site covering Ohio State sports??

I highly doubt you have any inside info to OSUs program. Highly highly doubt it.

And if you do, theres no way its better sources that the site that covers them 12 months a year.

Sorry you were wrong.

He has literally coached in Ohio for multiple decades and knows tons of coaches throughout the state. That includes college coaches and guys that know Mike Yurcich on a personal level.

I'll take my sources any day. Guys that know Mike Yurich personally.

The staff writers on these sites are wrong all the time. They keep their access by telling the stories and peddling the narative that media relations people at the schools want them too. It's the price they pay for inside information and the "scoop" at programs... How do I know that? I literally worked for one of them that covers ND. I can absolutely promise you that I received multiple calls throughout my working experience there in which somebody from ND contacted us and said, "you can talk about this. And I don't want you talking about that."... In exchange, a random "scoop" just popped up as a "reward".

This is what I've been told. Yurcich approached Day about calling plays in 2021 after doing a great job with Fields this year. He wanted to be a HC and wants to further build his resume by being Ohio State's playcaller. Day wasn't prepared to handover those responsibilities. He wanted to remain the playcaller and told Yurcich that they would give him a raise to stay and continue with his current duties. I was also told the raise was considerable. Ultimately, Texas was willing to give him a similar raise and Herman was absolutely fine with Yurcich playcalling and tutoring Ehlinger.

Day did not run him off. He just wouldn't give up playcalling duties and Yurcich decided to take a raise and go coordinate at a high profile program that would give him that opportunity. In the end it was a mutual departure. He didn't get run off... You really think Yurcich got run out of his home state, where he's loved and respected after what he did with Fields this year? The guy is trending towards being a head coach. He needed to get out from under Day's shadow.

He has literally coached in Ohio for multiple decades and knows tons of coaches throughout the state.

I'll take my sources any day. Guys that know Mike Yurich personally.

The staff writers on these sites are wrong all the time. They keep their access by telling the stories and peddling the narative that media relations people at the schools want them too. It's the price they pay for inside information and the "scoop" at programs... How do I know that? I literally worked for one of them that covers for ND. I can absolutely promise you that I received multiple calls throughout my working experience there in which somebody from ND contacted us and said, "you can talk about this. And I don't want you talking about that."... In exchange, a random "scoop" just popped up as a "reward".

This is what I've been told. Yurcich approached Day about calling plays in 2021 after doing a great job with Fields this year. He wanted to be a HC and wants to further building resume by being Ohio State's playcaller. Day wasn't prepared to handover those responsibilities. He wanted to remain the playcaller and told Yurcich that they would give him a raise to stay. I was also told the raise was considerable. Ultimately, Texas was willing to give him a similar raise and Herman was absolutely fine with Yurcich playcalling and tutoring Ehlinger.

Day did not run him off. He just wouldn't give up playcalling duties and Yurcich decided to take a raise and go coordinate at a high profile program that would give him that opportunity. In the end it was a mutual departure. He didn't get run off.
Agree to disagree. I respect your opinion but Im going to go with the people covering the inside of that program on a daily basis.

Knowing tons of coaches doesnt mean you know people working inside the athletic office. I live in Pa and know a few coaches throughout the state. Doesnt mean I or they know about the inside of PSUs athletic building

Agree to disagree. I respect your opinion but Im going to go with the people covering the inside of that program on a daily basis.

Knowing tons of coaches doesnt mean you know people working inside the athletic office. I live in Pa and know a few coaches throughout the state. Doesnt mean I or they know about the inside of PSUs athletic building

Again, the guys inside the building o ly tell you what they want you to know if you're I the media. The guys that cover ND are wrong all the friggen time. Like literally every podcast they something that's wrong. Some of it is because of narrative they have to pedal, some of it is because they are guessing, some of it is because they've been fed faulty info and some of it is because situations are often fluid and can change quickly.

I assure you that a subscription to a site allows you only marginally more access to a program than the average fan who doesn't have one.

Again, the guys inside the building o ly tell you what they want you to know if you're I the media. The guys that cover ND are wrong all the friggen time. Like literally every podcast they something that's wrong. Some of it is because of narrative they have to pedal, some of it is because they are guessing, some of it is because they've been fed faulty info and some of it is because situations are often fluid and can change quickly.

I assure you that a subscription to a site allows you only marginally more access to a program than the average fan who doesn't have one.
IIO...weren't you working on a podcast or something similar? I know you're busy as he'll but.........?

Like I said, I respectfully disagree with you.

And if what you are saying is true, you're basically saying Ryan Day is a scumbag. Hes lying about a departing coach. Hes sullying the reputation of a departing coach when its not true, if what you are saying is true.

I dont believe that to be the case

Like I said, I respectfully disagree with you.

And if what you are saying is true, you're basically saying Ryan Day is a scumbag. Hes lying about a departing coach. Hes sullying the reputation of a departing coach when its not true, if what you are saying is true.

I dont believe that to be the case

You can disagree all you want.

ADVERTISEMENT