ADVERTISEMENT

Run game needs more QB variety to deal with less hats

SouthFloridaIrish88

Shakes Down The Thunder
Aug 16, 2022
Football is pretty simple game if you are looking at 8+ hats in the tackle box, and you are playing a team of relatively equal ability. You are not going to be able to run the ball. The 8th & 9th hat normally represent the Free & Strong Safety within 5-7 yards of the LOS

So, you can abandon the run and throw exclusively, or you can scheme up some runs. The scheming of the run game normally involves the QB, With the QB carrying the football, rather than simply carrying out a fake, you gain an extra blocker to help you deal with the extra hats.

QB run game as evolved from the Wishbone, Houston Veer, Nebraska I, Holtz Bone I, Service Academy Flex Bone, and the modern day Spread Option, starting with WVU, and morphing into a bunch of other forms.

ND has to develop a consistent passing attack with a true "drop back" passer that will make teams want to keep both safeties deep the majority of the time. Anytime you look out and see 0-1 safeties deep, you know you have 1 on 1 on the outside and you must be able to make them pay

Or ND has to consistently have a true dual threat QB that can be a factor in the run game and still spin the ball well enough to hurt you in the pass game. Or use 2 guys to sort of manufacture some offense like the combination (Coan & Buchner) in 2021 regular season.

Need Tony Rice with a little bit more of an arm. Lord knows he could run.

Navy is perennial top 5 in the country running the ball almost exclusively against 8 and 9 defenders, and then completes a few passes per game to wide open receivers. There are many ways to attack run blitzes and loading the box. You have to make teams pay when they cheat up safeties. Our opponents have made us pay all year.

If the only answer was dual threat QBs then NFL would have a lot of 6-3 scores.

Navy is perennial top 5 in the country running the ball almost exclusively against 8 and 9 defenders, and then completes a few passes per game to wide open receivers. There are many ways to attack run blitzes and loading the box. You have to make teams pay when they cheat up safeties. Our opponents have made us pay all year.

If the only answer was dual threat QBs then NFL would have a lot of 6-3 scores.
And they win about 6 games a year

Football is pretty simple game if you are looking at 8+ hats in the tackle box, and you are playing a team of relatively equal ability. You are not going to be able to run the ball. The 8th & 9th hat normally represent the Free & Strong Safety within 5-7 yards of the LOS

So, you can abandon the run and throw exclusively, or you can scheme up some runs. The scheming of the run game normally involves the QB, With the QB carrying the football, rather than simply carrying out a fake, you gain an extra blocker to help you deal with the extra hats.

QB run game as evolved from the Wishbone, Houston Veer, Nebraska I, Holtz Bone I, Service Academy Flex Bone, and the modern day Spread Option, starting with WVU, and morphing into a bunch of other forms.

ND has to develop a consistent passing attack with a true "drop back" passer that will make teams want to keep both safeties deep the majority of the time. Anytime you look out and see 0-1 safeties deep, you know you have 1 on 1 on the outside and you must be able to make them pay

Or ND has to consistently have a true dual threat QB that can be a factor in the run game and still spin the ball well enough to hurt you in the pass game. Or use 2 guys to sort of manufacture some offense like the combination (Coan & Buchner) in 2021 regular season.
Don't forget, use the best running back on the team as the #1 back.

Reactions: Golson5 and GDFan

Football is pretty simple game if you are looking at 8+ hats in the tackle box, and you are playing a team of relatively equal ability. You are not going to be able to run the ball. The 8th & 9th hat normally represent the Free & Strong Safety within 5-7 yards of the LOS.

OH BOY!!! HERE COMES PAT!

• Haha
Reactions: HDK

You either play power football and utilize a great trigger man. Or you use QB run and RPO to force the D into space. This was the point regarding Pyne. You can't effectivley do either at the power 5 level consistently with him.

Personally I am a huge fan of the Coastal Carolina Offense.

And they win about 6 games a year
Haha you are definitely smarter than this comment, I’d let it go from a few others. Navy though consistently outmanned won 8 or more games every year but one from 2003 to 2016. My point is you don’t need a dual thread QB to beat a defense that schemes to stop the run. That was it. You can run and throw plenty on any defense … every move takes something away and gives something back. Well coached teams will trade a few TFL and throw away and then beat you for a chunk play or TD. Our own QB proved this with multiple passes to Estime this year and the easy TD to Tyree on the Fiesta Bowl. I know you already know this but the OP was off.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
ADVERTISEMENT