ADVERTISEMENT

Rumors that Big Ten may go to a 10 game all conference schedule for 2020

northvanole

I've posted how many times?
May 2, 2003
Being reported in various media outlets. There is a conference call to discuss it in detail today, and a final decision may happen late next year. To be clear, all OOC games by every Big Ten member will be cancelled, and each member will pick up an additional conference game.

Being reported in various media outlets. There is a conference call to discuss it in detail today, and a final decision may happen late next year. To be clear, all OOC games by every Big Ten member will be cancelled, and each member will pick up an additional conference game.

Why would the Big 10 unilaterally go to a 10 game schedule, when everyone else is playing 12 game seasons? Seems to me that would cause potential recruits to stay away from Big 10 programs. Doesn't make any sense.

This has been openly discussed for a few weeks now. The Big has in fact suggested they might consider a ten game Big only schedule. Other conferences like the PAC are discussing this as well. ND has pitched the idea of nine conference only games plus one non conference game, as a way to try to keep much of our schedule intact. The bigger question is whether there will be a football season at all. Trend is definitely not good.

What would be the point of this? Is playing 10 in conference games going to dramatically reduce the spread of COVID in comparison to playing 12 games and traveling farther than usual for a game or 2?

What would be the point of this? Is playing 10 in conference games going to dramatically reduce the spread of COVID in comparison to playing 12 games and traveling farther than usual for a game or 2?
The idea - discussed in reports from both the Big Ten and PAC 12 - is to play 10 games over a 14 week period. They will try to start Labor Day. But the three open dates will allow for a "make up" game if a game earlier in the year is cancelled due to a virus issue. It's a clever idea, but it would be difficult to handle the open-flex date idea with non conference games. I hear rumors that this is being discussed in the other P5 conferences as well

Sooo what would ND do? Would they be invited in for 2020 to play 10 ACC games? It would be disappointing to see USC, Stanford and Navy off the schedule for a year.

There will be no season. Not what we want to hear but it is a reality that has been starring us in the face for some time.

Reactions: d1042
Sooo what would ND do? Would they be invited in for 2020 to play 10 ACC games? It would be disappointing to see USC, Stanford and Navy off the schedule for a year.
ND AD Swarbrick has been pushing for an agreement that each P5 team can keep an OOC game. But that doesn't solve everything. Would Clemson play ND or South Carolina - both are scheduled for 2020? There are four annual in state rivalry games between the ACC and SEC. No assurances that they remain on the schedule for 2020 if those two conferences follow the B10 model (if its adopted). I have read that FSU officials have been working with the ACC for an all conference schedule for weeks now. No one knows how this all gets worked out.

In any event, nothing is yet decided. The news today just says that B10 may be going all in on conference only games, and the rumor is that PAC12 would do the same. ACC commish and Swarbrick are talking, but obviously ND would rather keep Navy and USC on its schedule than add more ACC games. The ACC has its own other issues. The two week quarantine war between New York and Florida currently traps Syracuse in a box. SU can't come to Florida and FSU can't go there.

And the last "issue" is the determination if this has any effect on the playoffs. If there are five P5 conferences playing a conference only schedule, the committee will have less "noise in the system" like those messy OOC games, or games against the FCS, to validate who gets left out. Good grief, we don't even know if every P5 school is going to play football in fall.

Reactions: Kelso86
Was told by someone in the know the 10 game conference game only schedule is a done deal for the Big Ten.

Being reported on ESPN and other media outlets that the agreement for a conference only schedule has been reached.

There's no way they're going to be the only conference who does that. ND may have to play a full Blue/Gold game schedule this year lol.

Most of these sports seasons this year are going to be pointless. No fans (or a small amount of fans at least,) altered/shortened schedules, a large # of players who will inevitably have to sit out for an extended period of time due to testing positive, other players opting out for health concerns.....I mean come on. Just so much attempting to do anything for the sake of making the maximum amount of $ possible for seasons that people aren't going to take seriously/be fully invested in. And think of how many college players will just sit out because they don't want to risk their draft status for a season that, to them, will feel like a meaningless bowl game. Or professionals on contract years who feel the season is no longer "worth it" because one or multiple people on their team have tested positive and had to miss noticeable time to effect the teams success.

Last edited:
So if I’m reading this correctly 10 conference games an NO playoffs of bowl games?

So if I’m reading this correctly 10 conference games an NO playoffs of bowl games?
No. This does not mean that the playoffs are cancelled. Not at all. Rumors are that PAC 12 will follow the same rules as the B10. Looking for confirmation. But the ND-USC game may be at risk.

Reactions: VTND
Looks like the ACC is following suit, but there are talks with ND regarding the 2020 schedule

No nobody. St Viator. Buchtel. Indianapolis Artillery. Louis "Red' Salmon leading Our Lady to victory

It looks like ND will be fine no matter how this all plays out. The ACC has told ND they will assist ND with as many games as it needs. My guess is Swarbrick will keep our options open for as many non-ACC games as possible and then schedule accordingly once all of the non-ACC teams on ND's schedule have declared one way or another whether they will play ND.

With the way things are going we'll be lucky to have a season at all. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with just 6-8 games played spread out over 12-14 and no postseason. This way there's still a "season" and Seniors have a chance to boost their draft status.

It looks like ND will be fine no matter how this all plays out. The ACC has told ND they will assist ND with as many games as it needs. My guess is Swarbrick will keep our options open for as many non-ACC games as possible and then schedule accordingly once all of the non-ACC teams on ND's schedule have declared one way or another whether they will play ND.

That really good news-----if there is to be a season.

OSU AD Gene Smith said today he is very concerned that there may not be a season at all.

What if the SEC says screw you to everyone else and says they are
playing 8 conf games only because their conf schedule is so "difficult"? Do the rest of the P5 conf also only play 8 games total?

What if the SEC says screw you to everyone else and says they are
playing 8 conf games only because their conf schedule is so "difficult"? Do the rest of the P5 conf also only play 8 games total?
The SEC would never NEVER play less games than the Big Ten

The SEC would never NEVER play less games than the Big Ten
The SEC already only plays 8 conf games and the BG10 plays 9. Since there is no control by NCAA or anyone else over scheduling, the conferences can do anything they want and let the playoff committee figure it out.
IF a fall season is played at all.

It’s no longer a rumor, Big 10 will be Conference games only.

seems foolish.

either cancel the season or play the schedule.

Minnesota or Nebraska would travel to Rutgers but ND can’t travel to Wisconsin ?

I’m very fond of Kevin Warren, an ND Law school graduate, but I don’t see the logic in the decision.

Reactions: Leahylads
It’s no longer a rumor, Big 10 will be Conference games only.

seems foolish.

either cancel the season or play the schedule.

Minnesota or Nebraska would travel to Rutgers but ND can’t travel to Wisconsin ?

I’m very fond of Kevin Warren, an ND Law school graduate, but I don’t see the logic in the decision.
He's certainly not the decision maker in this scenario. The schools make the call.

I believe the ACC will go to 9 conference games and 1 OOC game.

I cannot see GT-Georgia , FSU-Fla and Clemson-South Carolina going away.

They'll throw ND 2-3 more conference games and then the decision to be made is what our " OOC " games will be.

OSU AD Gene Smith said today he is very concerned that there may not be a season at all.

"That really good news-----if there is to be a season."

As an official myself, I am hoping for games this fall. However, especially at the HS level, there is a severe amount of uncertainty around how this will all shake out. I personally am not counting on a season being played -- as much as I would like to have one.

I believe the ACC will go to 9 conference games and 1 OOC game.

I cannot see GT-Georgia , FSU-Fla and Clemson-South Carolina going away.

They'll throw ND 2-3 more conference games and then the decision to be made is what our " OOC " games will be.
Clemson can't do 9+1 in 2020 as its scheduled to play both ND and South Carolina this year. The problem with the 4 annual ACC-SEC in state rivalries is that if they stay "Scheduled", the other 8 SEC and ACC members need to find an OOC game if they to do 9+1. That's not going to happen if every other conference goes conference only. It is possible that the 4 annual in state rivalry games get cancelled. But even if they do, there are 6 ACC teams that currently don't play ND this year. Where do they get +1 from? The Big Ten made sense for what they did. But the ACC-ND arrangement and the ACC-SEC games are problematic as each member of the ACC has to play the same number of conference games. You can't have UNC playing 10 conference games and Clemson plays 9. UNC can't play just a 9 game season if there is no OOC opponent for them.

IMO there would be 1 OOC for UNC and all the rest.

Clemson-ND would count as a conference game.

IMO there would be 1 OOC for UNC and all the rest.

Clemson-ND would count as a conference game.
Where is UNC going to get an OOC game if all the conferences are "conference only". Only the PAC 12 can easily follow the Big Ten...and it sounds like they will. The ACC has the most difficult task to manage.

"That really good news-----if there is to be a season."

As an official myself, I am hoping for games this fall. However, especially at the HS level, there is a severe amount of uncertainty around how this will all shake out. I personally am not counting on a season being played -- as much as I would like to have one.
We'll supposedly know by August 1. The removal of Jerry Snodgrass is not sitting well with administrators across the state.

Where is UNC going to get an OOC game if all the conferences are "conference only". Only the PAC 12 can easily follow the Big Ten...and it sounds like they will. The ACC has the most difficult task to manage.

Doubtful P12 has sports of any kind.

They can play Cincy------Top 25-30 Program that just lost a game with Nebraska .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT