ADVERTISEMENT

Report: USC & UCLA may join Big 10

Can USC use the ND rule they have with us to not play at ND when the weather gets cold with the weak10? Doubt the mid west teams would give them any exceptions.

You and me both. I'm not in favor of joining a conference.
"I'm not in favor of joining a conference"

That may not be an option much longer -- it probably will come down to 4 super conferences when all is said and done (just my .02 worth) -- and ND won't get left out

You all who act like college football hasn't been "NFL 2.0" for a LONG time now crack me up. Guess this is the stuff that's bringing all the heads out of the sand.

CFB is getting stupid, this is all about all the powerhouses/blue bloods getting together and breaking away from the NCAA. Pay for play, no classes, athletes will be employees of the university, unlimited eligibility etc…

I have a feeling all this will not end well.

When money is the only consideration bad things happen.

Reactions: pem55
It will be real interesting to see how long boosters continue to shell out money to “buy” commitments? I’d rather give my meager donations to a science professor working on something meaningful.

CFB is getting stupid, this is all about all the powerhouses/blue bloods getting together and breaking away from the NCAA. Pay for play, no classes, athletes will be employees of the university, unlimited eligibility etc…
Yeah. So what's next?? Are we going to see Pac-12, ACC, and Big 12 form a "super-conference" of their own? It's just getting ridiculous.

Can USC use the ND rule they have with us to not play at ND when the weather gets cold with the weak10? Doubt the mid west teams would give them any exceptions.

The easiest solution is to move the game to the beginning of the season. Sometime in the first month when they are playing San Jose State and you are playing Marshall or Miami of Ohio.

"I'm not in favor of joining a conference"

That may not be an option much longer -- it probably will come down to 4 super conferences when all is said and done (just my .02 worth) -- and ND won't get left out
Do you think there will be 4? I’d bet there will only be 2 super conferences soon.

Reactions: Kelso86
Do you think there will be 4? I’d bet there will only be 2 super conferences soon.

The more morons that join big conferences the more our independent and good record matters. They’ll simply beat each other out of the mix. ND will become a perennial playoff team.

With expansion, it is not hard to imagine that BIG and SEC will both claim to be the only conferences worthy of a college football championship with the conference winners playing in the CFP title game. Everyone else can go pound sand at the beach volleyball championships.

The more morons that join big conferences the more our independent and good record matters. They’ll simply beat each other out of the mix. ND will become a perennial playoff team.
Wow, this issue has gone well over someone's head....

Reactions: HDK
I'd yes and no. Not every team in the conference will play each other. We've seen more than once an SEC team lose in the SEC championship and still make it to the playoffs. Therefore, the argument will still be made that a Big 10 or SEC school played a tougher schedule and a conference championship game. I wish ND would just find a way to play that 13th game. Been lobbying for years they should play Hawaii 2 weeks before regular season starts every year. Who wouldn't want to do preseason camp in Hawaii???

• Haha
I'd yes and no. Not every team in the conference will play each other. We've seen more than once an SEC team lose in the SEC championship and still make it to the playoffs. Therefore, the argument will still be made that a Big 10 or SEC school played a tougher schedule and a conference championship game. I wish ND would just find a way to play that 13th game. Been lobbying for years they should play Hawaii 2 weeks before regular season starts every year. Who wouldn't want to do preseason camp in Hawaii???
If two or four super conferences emerge ND will likely have their hand forced. From a scheduling aspect alone it could become a nightmare if they don't. There will also likely be a major overhaul in the playoff format. Staying independent will no longer be a benefit if the landscape does change. Money continues to rule the roost. New TV contracts will be astronomical. Just today Mike Golic Jr was advocating for ND to join a conference. I just think it's inevitable.

If two or four super conferences emerge ND will likely have their hand forced. From a scheduling aspect alone it could become a nightmare if they don't. There will also likely be a major overhaul in the playoff format. Staying independent will no longer be a benefit if the landscape does change. Money continues to rule the roost. New TV contracts will be astronomical. Just today Mike Golic Jr was advocating for ND to join a conference. I just think it's inevitable.
Unfortunately, that's the way I see it. We will see how it plays out in the next few weeks, but it may well be impossible for ND to stay independent.

Unfortunately, that's the way I see it. We will see how it plays out in the next few weeks, but it may well be impossible for ND to stay independent.
Lots of moving parts going forward. I'm pretty certain the powers that be at ND will make a decision that fits them best.

If we are forced, ACC makes more sense than the B16. The recruiting base is not as fertile as the SE and the teams outside of OSU have not been relevant in some time.

Crazy. Looks like it's a done deal. Announcement in the next 24 hours.

Joining acc is always an option. Play it slow jack. Nd will still be nd and the 4 for 40 will mean more now than ever

Reactions: NDinNJ
Anyone see the possibility of the whole of NCAA becoming one single conference, maybe divided into eight regional divisions with a playoff with the top team from each division.

I do agree with those who think our days as an "independent" (even though we are only half independent) are pretty much through.

This is a possibility. However, 2 things:

1. If ND is a legit top 4 team, I trust that the committee will put them in. ND has yet to get burned by the committee.

2. Expansion is also inevitable. With that said, that would greatly reduce rhe need to join a conference.

If we are forced, ACC makes more sense than the B16. The recruiting base is not as fertile as the SE and the teams outside of OSU have not been relevant in some time.
But does it though? Big 10 schools are now probably going to get paid nearly double what the ACC schools are getting paid. It looks like CFB is going the way of two super conferences. If ND had to join a conference full time I don't see any advantage for ND in choosing the ACC

Notre Dame isn't joining the Big 10. Thank God.

If $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ was a problem in South Bend, then you could see joining something.

There's no $$$$$$$$$ problems in South Bend. It's the least of Swarbick's concerns.

Notre Dame isn't joining the Big 10. Thank God.

If $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ was a problem in South Bend, then you could see joining something.

There's no $$$$$$$$$ problems in South Bend. It's the least of Swarbick's concerns.
ND could possibly join the BIG 10 down the road, now with USC and UCLA in the conference, it gives the BIG 10 a national footprint, exactly what ND is looking for in a conference. If the BIG 10 adds a Florida school, like Miami or FSU, I could see ND eventually making the move. I would hate it, but it could be the reality.

ADVERTISEMENT