ADVERTISEMENT

Rees to Alabama?

Kelso86

All Star
Sep 3, 2003
Tommy Rees is reportedly a candidate for Alabama's vacant offensive coordinator position. That's according to ESPN's Chris Low, who says Rees has emerged as the “top target” for the role. Low also reports that Rees is scheduled to be in Tuscaloosa on Thursday.

Reactions: Airzee23
I’ll answer that, take a run at Joe Brady, he’s the qb coach for the Bills, but perhaps he wants to be a cord again. He didn’t have a great run with the Carolina Panthers, but neither did Matt Ruhl, but his Star wasn’t diminished too much.

I’ll answer that, take a run at Joe Brady, he’s the qb coach for the Bills, but perhaps he wants to be a cord again. He didn’t have a great run with the Carolina Panthers, but neither did Matt Ruhl, but his Star wasn’t diminished too much.
I believe the knock on Brady was his approach to recruiting.

Tommy Rees is reportedly a candidate for Alabama's vacant offensive coordinator position. That's according to ESPN's Chris Low, who says Rees has emerged as the “top target” for the role. Low also reports that Rees is scheduled to be in Tuscaloosa on Thursday.
Buh bye

Freeman RIGHT NOW - "Tommy, are you considering a lateral move to Alabama if we ensure money is relatively equal?"

If the answer is Yes, then Freeman needs to have him pack his bags right now.

I get tommy wanting/getting more money, but if he wants to just go to bama for a lateral move and saban isn't throwing an insane amoutn of $$$ that ND Can't come close to, don't let this crap play out. CUT THE CORD!

Reactions: BGI-CANADA
I'm game...

Seriously...let that ****er walk.

We need a completely new coaching philosophy in the passing game.

Think about it...

The terrified to fail premise of the last dozen years has netted us exactly how many top QB's and top echelon receivers?

We need some excitement in the passing game.

If you were a receiver and QB...watching tape of our passing game does NOT look like fun. OSU...fun. Bama...fun. Oklahoma...fun.

The three yard curl and sit route as your staple is NOT EXCITING to recruits.

Sorry

Reactions: NDinNJ
Ulterior motives at play from Alabama here. Have to wonder if their strategy is if they could land Tommy Rees, then they could get CJ Carr to flip his commitment to Alabama.
Alabama already has their QB committed in the 24 class, rated higher than Carr, Fwiw.

but if he wants to just go to bama for a lateral move and saban isn't throwing an insane amoutn of $$$ that ND Can't come close to, don't let this crap play out. CUT THE CORD!
Huh?

ND can outspend everybody!!!

Bama plane just got to South Bend.

Freeman, if tommy is on that plane (he will be). Tommy should not be an ND employee.

Reactions: baron100
I find this pretty humorous considering that so many posters here do nothing but slam Tommy Rees. Now Nick Saban may hire him. Great stuff.
Some posters think he wouldn’t be a good coordinator at South Alabama and wanted to fire him. When he wins a national championship under Saban will that be good enough? People don’t get it. He’s a strong coach and clearly deeply valued in the coaching community.

I find this pretty humorous considering that so many posters here do nothing but slam Tommy Rees. Now Nick Saban may hire him. Great stuff.
Ok? You may worship all things Saban but over here in reality borough he's made his share of bad hires over the years.

I think it's hilarious how suddenly Saban is the pinnacle. Like MSU and Miami never happened.

He caught lightning in a bottle and when you start rolling it's plug and play.

Some posters think he wouldn’t be a good coordinator at South Alabama and wanted to fire him. When he wins a national championship under Saban will that be good enough? People don’t get it. He’s a strong coach and clearly deeply valued in the coaching community.
People DO GET results.

He's won exactly what as a coordinator/QB coach/recruiter?

I was the first to say give him a chance to break away from the Brian Kelly fear of failure passing game but that didn't happen.

That said I give him credit for altering the approach mid season when our strength was rushing the ball. We went power football to the likes not seen since Holtz.

Reactions: NDinNJ
not every hire nick makes is a good one, the talent can typically overshadow average coaching there. When the coaching and talent aligns, they dominate.

Leaving your alma matter for a lateral move should mean he's fired before stepping on the plane and never welcomed back.

not every hire nick makes is a good one, the talent can typically overshadow average coaching there. When the coaching and talent aligns, they dominate.

Leaving your alma matter for a lateral move should mean he's fired before stepping on the plane and never welcomed back.

That's ridiculous. You really think being an OC under Saban is a lateral move?

What about Dan Mullen if Rees leaves. This would give Freeman a very experienced guy on the side of the ball he is least versed in. Mullen was great scheme guy. Just not great as a HC recruiter. He was at ND at one point under Davie I believe.

Reactions: scubastevefl
Name a few OCs who would be great/must hires for ND to succeed if Rees jumps ata chance to coach O at Bama.

One plus of Kingsbury is this comes with him.
Kingsbury-girlfriend.jpg

That's ridiculous. You really think being an OC under Saban is a lateral move?
It literally is the definition of a lateral move. It's the same thing as everyone stating kelly took a lateral move to LSU. This isn't some next step career progression. He is on same path at ND or Bama.

It's not good if our coaches want to leave for lateral moves especially when we could easily have a better offense than Bama next year. We actually for the first time in 15 years have more offensive talent than Bama.

Agree, a lot of bozos on this site will get their wish. Saban (the GOAT in CFB) can spot an young Urban Meyer when he sees him. Good move to Rees. He will have now coached under two of the best in Kelly and Saban. And will get to play with all of those 5* recruits. He's a head coach in the making. I said it when he was at ND, and that is his path.

Question: is Hartman allowed by NCAA rules to change his mind and follow Rees to Alabama? They have a red shirt 5* Freshman and two high 4* incoming QBs. Hartman would assure them the NC again.

Brady isn't a full suite oc... Freeman needs someone proven at calling plays...Brady isn't it

Question: is Hartman allowed by NCAA rules to change his mind and follow Rees to Alabama? They have a red shirt 5* Freshman and two high 4* incoming QBs. Hartman would assure them the NC again.
He's enrolled at ND. So..... how would that work?

Would be more likely to look at John mcnulty I'd think... Been here and he and Rees are known to be talking all the time... For continuity I'd think that might be the call....

Also remember that Gerard Parker was an oc at wvu prior. Again for holding things together that might make sense as well.

Going to an air raid offense would definitely impact recruiting big time probably in the negative short term.

Reactions: Classic Irish
Would be more likely to look at John mcnulty I'd think... Been here and he and Rees are known to be talking all the time... For continuity I'd think that might be the call....

Also remember that Gerard Parker was an oc at wvu prior. Again for holding things together that might make sense as well.

Going to an air raid offense would definitely impact recruiting big time probably in the negative short term.
ND is set up very very well to be balanced overall next year. I think the teams that win championships have typically had balanced offenses.

Thinking same. Those that revered Saban, and also slammed Tommy….and now Saban wants him.

Popcorn a plenty

Reactions: mcleanva1
Freeman RIGHT NOW - "Tommy, are you considering a lateral move to Alabama if we ensure money is relatively equal?"

If the answer is Yes, then Freeman needs to have him pack his bags right now.

I get tommy wanting/getting more money, but if he wants to just go to bama for a lateral move and saban isn't throwing an insane amoutn of $$$ that ND Can't come close to, don't let this crap play out. CUT THE CORD!

You might want to look at the next move of the last 5-6 Bama OC's.

Get over yourself.

You think Freeman will attract top coaching talent by setting a precedent and not letting them interview for other opportunities? Or perhaps Freeman suggested such and is being professional?

Ok? You may worship all things Saban but over here in reality borough he's made his share of bad hires over the years.

I think it's hilarious how suddenly Saban is the pinnacle. Like MSU and Miami never happened.

He caught lightning in a bottle and when you start rolling it's plug and play.
Have you been in hibernation the past 10 years? You don’t think this board in general has licked the sweat off of Nick’s feet?

ADVERTISEMENT