ADVERTISEMENT

Rees….. stats don’t lie

The article actually makes a lot of good points, and I don’t think anyone is not surprised that Tommy Rees was Saban’s choice. That said, there must be something about him that makes an impression on so many people, which seems to be why Sabin thinks he can run Alabama’s offense which is very different than ours and has been for about the last five or six years. Rees creating a stable and actually Relatively good offense all things considered this past year says a lot about him.

The article actually makes a lot of good points, and I don’t think anyone is not surprised that Tommy Rees was Saban’s choice. That said, there must be something about him that makes an impression on so many people, which seems to be why Sabin thinks he can run Alabama’s offense which is very different than ours and has been for about the last five or six years. Rees creating a stable and actually Relatively good offense all things considered this past year says a lot about him.
Rees has to change his offense for bama, he used a lot of pre snap lipstick at ND to Try and confuse defenses. When it worked it looked brilliant, when all 11 players didn’t execute it failed. I don’t like offensive game plans that require so many people to do things right to make a play successful.

Rees has to change his offense for bama, he used a lot of pre snap lipstick at ND to Try and confuse defenses. When it worked it looked brilliant, when all 11 players didn’t execute it failed. I don’t like offensive game plans that require so many people to do things right to make a play successful.
This is true One of the points the author makes is that so much of the Notre Dame offense was lateral rather than vertical and for a good reason because of the players that we had especially a quarterback, but that has not been Alabama‘s explosive offense, so it will be really interesting to see what happens next year .

I thought about this for years, especially last season. The problem is that the offense was consistent.

YkfuId3.jpeg

Interesting. One is head coach at LSU, the other OC at Bama. Both schools with multiple NC since ND seriously contended. What could those uninspired morons be thinking?
Simply landing a job doesn’t mean your competent, you think every CEO/executive is deserving of their place/pay? BK has earned his way by a solid career- besides Saban thinking Rees is great, what data would you point to to suggest he’s fit for the top OC position in CFB?

Reactions: hoopsstar12
Simply landing a job doesn’t mean your competent, you think every CEO/executive is deserving of their place/pay? BK has earned his way by a solid career- besides Saban thinking Rees is great, what data would you point to to suggest he’s fit for the top OC position in CFB?
Tommy Rees's 2-million per year data as OC at Alabama is enough for me.

You think Rees is chasing fast money? Seriously asking.

Money before success doesn’t equate to success, money after success is a different story…. Tommy hasn’t done jack to deserve this but good for him , maybe he’ll earn it

You think Rees is chasing fast money? Seriously asking.

Money before success doesn’t equate to success, money after success is a different story…. Tommy hasn’t done jack to deserve this but good for him , maybe he’ll earn it
Lane Kiffin is head coach at Ole Miss, Mike Locksley is head coach at Maryland, Sark is head coach at Texas, Bill O'Brien is now the OC in New England. All 4 preceded Tommy Rees. Tommy made the right move.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Lane Kiffin is head coach at Ole Miss, Mike Locksley is head coach at Maryland, Sark is head coach at Texas, Bill O'Brien is now the OC in New England. All 4 preceded Tommy Rees. Tommy made the right move.
At least two of those left Tide fans dissatisfied.

When your best pass catcher for two seasons is a tight end your offense is going to be very horizontal.

When your quarterback room is starred by players like Ian book, jack Coan, and Drew pyne your offense is going to be very horizontal

When your best personnel is on defense and o-line you are going to play a more horizontal style of offense

Tom Rees quarterback, receiver, and running back room went from three and four star players to four and five star players

alabama's incoming freshman class has four 5-star players on offense alone. For contrast I don't think Rees had a single five star player on offense outside of Mike Mayer and he developed him into a first round draft pick

Rees will be at a school now where not only will his offense be stacked with the best players in the country his roster will be insured with top JUCO and Portal players.

I have a feeling Rees offense is going to look a lot different night and day down in Tuscaloosa

Last edited:
Reactions: Tru2Irish
We shall see. When Bama has multiple quarters with low scoring, let's see how Bama fans react. Tommy plays very conservative except on a few occassions. It wasn't Oklahoma St. great D that shut us down a few yewars ago with a huge ND lead. It was Tommy going to same old, obvious plays that Ok.st watched on film and were prepared for. I wish him well but he has more weapons at Bama. Let's see if he consistently uses them or plans around one or two targets.

alabama's incoming freshman class has like four 5-star players on offense alone

When your best pass catcher for two seasons is a tight end your offense is going to be very horizontal.

When your quarterback room is starred by players like Ian book, Coan, and Drew pyne for the last several years your offense is going to be very horizontal

When your best personnel is on defense and o-line you are going to play a more horizontal style of offense

Tom Rees quarterback receiver running back and tight end room went from three and four star players to four and five star players I think Rees' offense is going to look entirely different there

Regardless it'll be fun to see how it all plays out

When your quarterback room is starred by players like Ian book, jack Coan, and Drew pyne your offense is going to be very horizontal

Tom Rees quarterback, receiver, and running back room went from three and four star players to four and five star players

alabama's incoming freshman class has four 5-star players on offense alone

I have a feeling Rees will be able to open things up quite a bit with this substantial upgrade in personnel

Agree, but who was involved in recruiting Book, Coan, and Pyne? Rees/Kelly. Let's not forget, they were "shopping down a different aisle" Basically self imposed sanctions is how I see it.

Freeman has stepped up recruiting since he's been at ND, no one can deny it., and we shall see how that translates in the next couple of years.

alabama's incoming freshman class has four 5-star players on offense alone. For contrast I don't think Rees had a single five star player on offense outside of Mike Mayer and he developed him into a first round draft pick

Rees will be at a school now where not only will his offense be stacked with the best players in the country his roster will be insured with top JUCO and Portal players.

I have a feeling Rees offense is going to look a lot different night and day down in Tuscaloosa
Like Georgia having their best pass catcher a te and still pushing ball? …. Rees didn’t push MM downfield much to not wear him out and have him needing a break…. Would have been nice to utilize his size and ball skill downfield and utilize younger tes more

Wouldn't this argument apply to most offensive coordinators? It is possible that Rees flourishes under the more disciplined and experienced Saban. But he calls too many headscratchers for me to support him. I fear that if Rees does succeed then he will be Freeman's successor. Unfortunately that means I will have to root for LSU. What a twisted life.

Like Georgia having their best pass catcher a te and still pushing ball? …. Rees didn’t push MM downfield much to not wear him out and have him needing a break…. Would have been nice to utilize his size and ball skill downfield and utilize younger tes more
"Rees didn’t push MM downfield much to not wear him out and have him needing a break…. Would have been nice to utilize his size and ball skill downfield and utilize younger tes more"

Yes, it would have been nice to utilize his size/athletic ability to create a lot of mis-matches downfield. Unfortunately, if you don't have the WR's to assist in this endeavor and a QB who targets many receivers, this becomes an issue.

Pyne, for better/worse, was locked in on Mayer way too much. When the defense has a 90% probability that any passing attempt will go to Mayer, it is kind of hard to push it.

"Rees didn’t push MM downfield much to not wear him out and have him needing a break…. Would have been nice to utilize his size and ball skill downfield and utilize younger tes more"

Yes, it would have been nice to utilize his size/athletic ability to create a lot of mis-matches downfield. Unfortunately, if you don't have the WR's to assist in this endeavor and a QB who targets many receivers=, this becomes an issue.

Pyne, for better/worse, was locked in on Mayer way too much. When the defense has a 90% probability that any passing attempt will go to Mayer, it is kind of hard to push it.
That and it's hard for Mayer to get YAC with all the attention constantly on him.

Reactions: Kelso86
I left off the other OSU, that was zero points in the 2nd half.

hmm? Tom Brady seemed to do okay.

wK75Acl.jpg
This is not necessarily accurate. It needs to take into account length of time they played together to really paint the picture. Moss was only there for 3 seasons Gronk 11 I believe.

Reactions: Kelso86
Agree, but who was involved in recruiting Book, Coan, and Pyne? Rees/Kelly. Let's not forget, they were "shopping down a different aisle" Basically self imposed sanctions is how I see it.

Freeman has stepped up recruiting since he's been at ND, no one can deny it., and we shall see how that translates in the next couple of years.
This is a fair point. Rees is responsible for the personnel as the OC, but at Alabama that problem is solved. Saban/Alabama sells itself

I think Saban sees Rees as the overseer of a really consistent/flexible/efficient/player-centric offense despite having some ordinary players at some really important positions. And that Rees offense will translate well to the major leagues. I think it is as simple as that.

Last edited:
We shall see. When Bama has multiple quarters with low scoring, let's see how Bama fans react. Tommy plays very conservative except on a few occassions. It wasn't Oklahoma St. great D that shut us down a few yewars ago with a huge ND lead. It was Tommy going to same old, obvious plays that Ok.st watched on film and were prepared for. I wish him well but he has more weapons at Bama. Let's see if he consistently uses them or plans around one or two targets.
Since when is TR responsible for the inability of the players to EXECUTE ?

You guys know nothing about football !

stats:

i always recall a quote from Kris Kostopoulus of the NY Rangers. He was 6’3 + and 215 lbs. He was asked about his teammate Barry Beck also 6’3“ + and 215 lbs. Beck was one of the greats and one of the most feared in Hockey.
As to compare himself to BB he looked at the reporter amazed and replied, “there is 215 lbs and then there is 215 lbs.”

Stats fail to tell a full story.

ADVERTISEMENT