ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Rankings & National Championships

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
does it get anymore dominant than this? Alabama's last 3 year resume: 41-3, 3 CFB playoffs, 2 NCs, 3 1st-ranked classes

OSU, FSU, and Clemson are the other national championship winners squeezed in between Alabama's other 3 national championships.

Below are 24/7s "team talent composite" rankings (which is just a consolidated view of the entire roster's recruit ratings and then ranked from highest to lowest):

Alabama, #1
OSU, #2
Georgia, #4
FSU, #5
Clemson, #9 (doesn't include their 2018 haul where they got 5-5star commitments)

Thought it would be fun to add georgia after their 3 point loss in the national championship game.

If this isn't a clear cut example of how important recruiting elite talent is (e.g. ND recruiting with the top 3-5 schools consistently) i don't know what possibly could be.

Reactions: ndnd
does it get anymore dominant than this? Alabama's last 3 year resume: 41-3, 3 CFB playoffs, 2 NCs, 3 1st-ranked classes

OSU, FSU, and Clemson are the other national championship winners squeezed in between Alabama's other 3 national championships.

Below are 24/7s "team talent composite" rankings (which is just a consolidated view of the entire roster's recruit ratings and then ranked from highest to lowest):

Alabama, #1
OSU, #2
Georgia, #4
FSU, #5
Clemson, #9 (doesn't include their 2018 haul where they got 5-5star commitments)

Thought it would be fun to add georgia after their 3 point loss in the national championship game.

If this isn't a clear cut example of how important recruiting elite talent is (e.g. ND recruiting with the top 3-5 schools consistently) i don't know what possibly could be.

Beyond tiresome.

I'm not sure I understand.

So what you're saying......is that recruiting elite talent directly corresponds to being an elite team and playing for championships?

What Chase means is that ND will need to recruit better to win a NC...These #8-15 recruiting classes doesn't get it done. Is our goal to win a NC? if it is then we need to recruit with the elites!

I still don't follow the logic. Please explain further and provide links or other data to corroborate your claims.

Reactions: Pennick44
A few year ago I looked at this. At the time you had to average 3.65 rivals stars to have any real chance at a natty.

Still not buying it. Sorry, I'm gonna need to see some additional data.
What more data could there be other than ALL but one winner of the last 22 NCs (bcs and tourney era combined) had a 4 year cumulative recruiting class ranking of 10 or better?? Couldn’t go back any further because the title determinant was voter related, completely different format. I can only provide the info man. Not buying these facts without saying exactly what more would cause you to believe to believe those facts isn’t a gap I can help you bridge.

What more data could there be other than ALL but one winner of the last 22 NCs (bcs and tourney era combined) had a 4 year cumulative recruiting class ranking of 10 or better?? Couldn’t go back any further because the title determinant was voter related, completely different format. I can only provide the info man. Not buying these facts without saying exactly what more would cause you to believe to believe those facts isn’t a gap I can help you bridge.

Good posts/points but you are being trolled by the blue-hairs here who watched too many rocky/karate kid/mighty duck movies. "All ND needs is a good ol' boy to rally the bunch"

Also, besides not liking the methodology used in the article you posted, and even though ND meets the threshold for enough "top 10 classes" to win an NC (ND has had back to back #10 classes in 2018 & 2017) ... they are still a major underdog relative to the other teams listed who have recruited significantly better and have a more realistic shot.

Last edited:
Good posts/points but you are being trolled by the blue-hairs here who watched too many rocky/karate kid/mighty duck movies. "All ND needs is a good ol' boy to rally the bunch"

Also, besides not liking the methodology used in the article you posted, and even though ND meets the threshold for enough "top 10 classes" to win an NC (ND has had back to back #10 classes in 2018 & 2017) ... they are still a major underdog relative to the other teams listed who have recruited significantly better and have a more realistic shot.
Sure I just call that a betting opportunity. And honestly, with bk, flaws and strengths included, it puts us about where we are supposed to be- knocking on the door. I’d like to get over the bump ASAP and we can rightly argue that maybe bk can’t, but we’re also closer than most would admit too.

I don't have the time to break down all the numbers, but I think there are 2 important points to bring up with ND recruiting and success.

1. It's pretty clear what ND hasn't had a home run QB recruit.
2. ND tends to recruit very very well along the OL and TE, but consistently lacked at some key positions like DE and CB. Daelin Hayes is the only big time recruit we've had at DE the last few years and even he was only ranked 5 stars by rivals.

i a still laughing from one of the OP’s former posts when he mentioned Bill Belichik as a possible ND coach.

i a still laughing from one of the OP’s former posts when he mentioned Bill Belichik as a possible ND coach.

ND has the kind of deep pockets and national recognition to attract ANY coach in the profession who is looking. That was more my point of the post than pointing out any one coach in particular.

ND has the kind of deep pockets and national recognition to attract ANY coach in the profession who is looking. That was more my point of the post than pointing out any one coach in particular.
Then how do you explain the last four coaching searches ? other than meyers brief flirtation no top level coach at any level had even a remote interest in the job and money had nothing to do with it.

Then how do you explain the last four coaching searches ? other than meyers brief flirtation no top level coach at any level had even a remote interest in the job and money had nothing to do with it.

Its a real head scratcher because you don't even need coaches. All you need to do is recruit "gamers" with "swagger" and let them do their thing.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the data on top draft picks. I suspect we are the only regularly appearing team on day 1 who can't win a major bowl.

A friend of mine that I worked with a guy who played on a University of Arizona team that was very good Teddy Bruschi 9sp) ety they nc. they believed they were good enough to play at a national level. Those Arizona teams were very good at that time. He said for a team to win a Natty they 3-4 outstanding players that play well but can lead also and the rest can be solid players and you have a chance to win it all

A few year ago I looked at this. At the time you had to average 3.65 rivals stars to have any real chance at a natty.

3.65 won’t get it done anymore. And unless there are elite playmakers on both offense and defense, finishing in the top 4-6 is a long long shot.

I think most elite coaches, including Meyer, realize with the restrictions on who they can recruit makes it almost impossible to compete for national championships. I do believe that was the deal breaker for Meyer when he was in negotiations with ND. Not criticizing ND for their standards, just stating my opinion.

Gee ND does not have enough good players to contend for a National Title? Then why do I read 1 million posts crying about the coaching? As if anyone on here had the slightest idea on how to coach a football team at the highest level of college football

If you flipped Brian Kelly to the LSU sideline, not only would they not be losing to ND in bowl games The would be playing in SEC Title games and Playoff Games.

Yes, the players at ND are not good enough and since the ND Admin does not care..why should anyone on here break a sweat? So Bama won 5 chips...Goober from Tuscaloosa still has to get up everyday and pump gas at Piggly Wiggly. The beat goes on..just enjoy the 9-10 wins a year. Thats all this program wants to be.

Gee ND does not have enough good players to contend for a National Title? Then why do I read 1 million posts crying about the coaching? As if anyone on here had the slightest idea on how to coach a football team at the highest level of college football

If you flipped Brian Kelly to the LSU sideline, not only would they not be losing to ND in bowl games The would be playing in SEC Title games and Playoff Games.

Yes, the players at ND are not good enough and since the ND Admin does not care..why should anyone on here break a sweat? So Bama won 5 chips...Goober from Tuscaloosa still has to get up everyday and pump gas at Piggly Wiggly. The beat goes on..just enjoy the 9-10 wins a year. Thats all this program wants to be.
I think I would rather have a 9-10 win team and make it to good bowls, then to have to lower ourselves to the standards of Alabama, OSU, Georgia etc... It's more than just coaching. It's recruting, strength and conditioning, and getting those elite players. As I say, folks we are who we are and that's nothing to be ashamed of. It's just sad that the NCAA and most of CFB is so dirty now and there's so much money. It's taking the joy out of it.

I think most elite coaches, including Meyer, realize with the restrictions on who they can recruit makes it almost impossible to compete for national championships. I do believe that was the deal breaker for Meyer when he was in negotiations with ND. Not criticizing ND for their standards, just stating my opinion.
exactly correct. a certain poster here thinks the job is highly coveted and that nd can have anyone they want despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Reactions: irish4life888
I think I would rather have a 9-10 win team and make it to good bowls, then to have to lower ourselves to the standards of Alabama, OSU, Georgia etc... It's more than just coaching. It's recruting, strength and conditioning, and getting those elite players. As I say, folks we are who we are and that's nothing to be ashamed of. It's just sad that the NCAA and most of CFB is so dirty now and there's so much money. It's taking the joy out of it.
the money has certainly changed things and not for the better.

Reactions: irish4life888
exactly correct. a certain poster here thinks the job is highly coveted and that nd can have anyone they want despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Unfortunately Echo, you are 100% correct. ND would have to get lucky with an assistant who is the next Saban/ Urban/ Dabo. Look @ Oklahoma. The established winners are not coming to South Bend. Saban a Catholic who built a Catholic Church down in Tuscaloosa is not coming here. It’s a shame because the guy who brings a Natty to South Bend will be revered for life!

The only thing preventing an A/A+ type of coach from coming to south bend is ND itself.

ND has the type of money to outbid anybody, and the type of brand power/national recognition that people at the top of the profession are attracted to. If you win championships at Notre Dame you will be a national icon.

The problem with ND is -- someone in the administration still thinks national championship contention is possible in 2018 with all of the self-induced-handicaps (and then they have tight purse strings on top of it). Either that or they are simply ok with being a B level/2nd rate football program so long as the cash is piling up.

You can't win a foot race against the likes of OSU, Alabama, Georgia, USC, Texas, etc. etc. by breaking your own foot at the starting line every year before the race even gets started.

And no smart/winning coach is going to hitch his career to a naive institution/administration trying to operate the football program the way college football program's were operated 50+ years ago.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT