ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting momentum looking good but Freeman still has LOTS to prove

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
I think it's important to make a distinction between recruiting and actually developing talent and proving you can make the high level decisions necessary to win major college football games.
Recruiting is only one piece to a very multi faceted puzzle as it relates to winning national titles, and I'm starting to read (or hear) lots of chatter where ND fans think Freeman already has it all figured out and will march his way on to a national title because of his recruiting success thus far, but as we all know, Charlie Weis recruited like a boss, but was unable to be successful in other important areas of running a football program.

Also on one other semi related note: I think the 2024 class is more important than the 2023 class as it relates to Freeman's ability to sign/attract the very best prospects. That class will have had almost 2 years to evaluate Freeman and the warts we're all about to witness will show themselves; will Freeman still be able to bring in top 5 classes when that happens?

L:astly, anytime there's a coaching change at ND there's usually a recruiting bump the first class because of all the excitement/news/hoopla about a new head coach at ND. But that effect dies down pretty quickly (usually by the next class).

All this together, and we'll get a really clear picture of Freeman's ability to recruit/coach by NSD 2024.

I think it's important to make a distinction between recruiting and actually developing talent and proving you can make the high level decisions necessary to win major college football games.
Recruiting is only one piece to a very multi faceted puzzle as it relates to winning national titles, and I'm starting to read (or hear) lots of chatter where ND fans think Freeman already has it all figured out and will march his way on to a national title because of his recruiting success thus far, but as we all know, Charlie Weis recruited like a boss, but was unable to be successful in other important areas of running a football program.

Also on one other semi related note: I think the 2024 class is more important than the 2023 class as it relates to Freeman's ability to sign/attract the very best prospects. That class will have had almost 2 years to evaluate Freeman and the warts we're all about to witness will show themselves; will Freeman still be able to bring in top 5 classes when that happens?

L:astly, anytime there's a coaching change at ND there's usually a recruiting bump the first class because of all the excitement/news/hoopla about a new head coach at ND. But that effect dies down pretty quickly (usually by the next class).

All this together, and we'll get a really clear picture of Freeman's ability to recruit/coach by NSD 2024.
Charlie was an overrated recruiter and so were his classes

Great coaches win championships with great talent. Great coaches get to championships with good talent.

While you can certainly develop players, it helps when they come out of high-school with god given abilities.

I don’t know that we had to do much with the Rocket other than get him the ball

Last edited:
Come on now, man.... all you've ever done is bitch about recruiting. And now we got this handsome, young, charismatic black coach, who quite naturally is going to be highly appealing to prospects. Thanks to BK, were totally back in the top tier, pretty much, of the CFB ranks, which of course is the main reason for ND's increased pull on the recruiting trail. And from what I've heard, or a little bird told us or something, that's it very possible that ND is really delivering on the NIL front - discreetly - as well. And we're not getting left behind in that key area. Which is fantastic news if true, because there's no good reason whatsoever for ND not to be at the forefront of NIL player procurement....

So naturally we're recruiting pretty lights out these days. And that's all you haters bitched and clamored for, and now you're going to walk that back.... Oh is coaching important too? And maybe a distinction needs to be drawn between the two aspects of the profession?? And they're not the same thing, first you have to recruit them and then you got to develop them!!! Alright man, thank you for that enlightening effin' input. I will definitely make a note of that.....

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
I think we already have a pretty clear picture as to Freeman’s impact on recruiting. I see no reason to dismiss the 23 class as some natural event. Freeman has put together a really strong staff, and he and they have Clearly energized our recruiting efforts, and the level of commitments to date and repeated very positive references by target recruits to Freeman and the staff validate this. I do agree that it takes a couple years to evaluate Freeman‘s Success as a head coach. Putting together a great staff and putting together back to back complimentary classes are a huge part of evaluating his success, as will be continuing the ND graduation rate for players; but how this ultimately translates to success on the field is the proverbial bottom line. Under Kelly we excelled at winning games we were supposed to win, but rarely pulled off an upset and often underperformed in big games. I hope Freeman is able to maintain the former and reverse the later. I’m desperate for ND competing at a high level in big games, and winning more than their share. I’m cautiously optimistic that Freeman and staff are going to deliver this.

The usual teams will be hot on the trail for a few of the top commits; they will be waving green flags and gold flags! nothing is cut in stone in May! Walking on thin eggs!

Come on now, man.... all you've ever done is bitch about recruiting. And now we got this handsome, young, charismatic black coach, who quite naturally is going to be highly appealing to prospects. Thanks to BK, were totally back in the top tier, pretty much, of the CFB ranks, which of course is the main reason for ND's increased pull on the recruiting trail. And from what I've heard, or a little bird told us or something, that's it very possible that ND is really delivering on the NIL front - discreetly - as well. And we're not getting left behind in that key area. Which is fantastic news if true, because there's no good reason whatsoever for ND not to be at the forefront of NIL player procurement....

So naturally we're recruiting pretty lights out these days. And that's all you haters bitched and clamored for, and now you're going to walk that back.... Oh is coaching important too? And maybe a distinction needs to be drawn between the two aspects of the profession?? And they're not the same thing, first you have to recruit them and then you got to develop them!!! Alright man, thank you for that enlightening effin' input. I will definitely make a note of that.....
I prefer to refer to him as Korean

I prefer to refer to him as Korean
Do you prefer to refer??? Because that rhymes!

Anyway, you're clearly a troll of some sort. Please don't get into the habit of responding to me, with this sort of clumsy goading. You know what, I'll just nip it in the bud and put you on ignore straightaway....

Reactions: NDblitz

Charlie lost all the recruiting battles when it came to defensive lineman. Back then it was said the Irish can not be elite without the top dlineman. Marcus is winning the battles for elite Dlineman. Kirk Herbstreet called our defense a highschool defense when he watched us play under Charlie.

Charlie lost all the recruiting battles when it came to defensive lineman. Back then it was said the Irish can not be elite without the top dlineman. Marcus is winning the battles for elite Dlineman. Kirk Herbstreet called our defense a highschool defense when he watched us play under Charlie.

I am a bigger Charlie Weis fan, probably, than many on this board, but I think one of the things that led to his downfall was that he wasn't personally invested enough in the recruiting process. By all accounts he was a workaholic, so it wasn't an issue of not working hard enough, it was an issue of working smarter. From what I have read he spent much of his time studying football and play scheming. So Charlie was very much about the X's and O's and not so much about recruiting. Given his NFL background and experiences as OC for the Patriots, I suppose that isn't surprising. Marcus Freeman, on the other hand, clearly understands that success on the CFB stage is very much dependent on elite recruiting. I think Charlie might have survived if he had some stronger assistants (and better recruiters) on the defensive side of the ball, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Obviously Charlie Weis didn't have the success we hoped for, but it wasn't for want of effort.

There is an article in today's recruiting mailbag in The Athletic talking about which schools outside of Alabama, UGA, Clemson, OSU and TAMU are poised to become recruiting powerhouses in the next few years. The article lists (in no particular order): USC, Florida, ND, Tennessee and Miami. With regard to ND, the article is (not surprisingly) very complimentary of the strong job MF is turning in:

"3. Notre Dame: Look at Notre Dame’s 2023 class. It currently ranks No. 1 and has five players who rank in the top 85. This has the nuts and bolts of a truly elite class, the type of class that can raise Notre Dame’s profile. Marcus Freeman is a first-time head coach, but the more I see him work, the more I believe he could be the guy to make Notre Dame elite again."

Clearly NIL will play a big role in this.

Nothing particularly insightful about the conclusions drawn about MF in the article, but confirms what many people are seeing.

I am a bigger Charlie Weis fan, probably, than many on this board, but I think one of the things that led to his downfall was that he wasn't personally invested enough in the recruiting process. By all accounts he was a workaholic, so it wasn't an issue of not working hard enough, it was an issue of working smarter. From what I have read he spent much of his time studying football and play scheming. So Charlie was very much about the X's and O's and not so much about recruiting. Given his NFL background and experiences as OC for the Patriots, I suppose that isn't surprising. Marcus Freeman, on the other hand, clearly understands that success on the CFB stage is very much dependent on elite recruiting. I think Charlie might have survived if he had some stronger assistants (and better recruiters) on the defensive side of the ball, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Obviously Charlie Weis didn't have the success we hoped for, but it wasn't for want of effort.

There is an article in today's recruiting mailbag in The Athletic talking about which schools outside of Alabama, UGA, Clemson, OSU and TAMU are poised to become recruiting powerhouses in the next few years. The article lists (in no particular order): USC, Florida, ND, Tennessee and Miami. With regard to ND, the article is (not surprisingly) very complimentary of the strong job MF is turning in:

"3. Notre Dame: Look at Notre Dame’s 2023 class. It currently ranks No. 1 and has five players who rank in the top 85. This has the nuts and bolts of a truly elite class, the type of class that can raise Notre Dame’s profile. Marcus Freeman is a first-time head coach, but the more I see him work, the more I believe he could be the guy to make Notre Dame elite again."

Clearly NIL will play a big role in this.

Nothing particularly insightful about the conclusions drawn about MF in the article, but confirms what many people are seeing.
I was a huge Charlie fan and thought we would win multiple NC'S with him but he failed terribly. He had his team in 2009 and it seemed on the upswing and gave USC a battle that year but then proceeded to lose to UCON and Navy and everyone down the strech.. How could he lose to such inferior teams? If Charlie was such a hard worker why didnt he work to have his team in better physical condition so thy wouldnt wilt at the end?
He failed in so many ways. He needed to work smarter not harder.

Reactions: BGI User 756
I think Charlie might have survived if he had some stronger assistants (and better recruiters) on the defensive side of the ball, but hindsight is always 20/20.

His teams were out of shape and unmotivated. Anecdotes said that practice was easy. Compare 2010 to 2009 and you see a team that lost Clausen and Tate actually improved. And Weis at KU was more of the same.

As for effort, Weis devoted all of his effort to designing plays and coaching his QB. If he worked on his plain to see shortcomings, it didn't translate to the field.

So the bottom line is that Weis was a good offensive coordinator if he has a Brady and everything else in place for him.

I was a huge Charlie fan and thought we would win multiple NC'S with him but he failed terribly. He had his team in 2009 and it seemed on the upswing and gave USC a battle that year but then proceeded to lose to UCON and Navy and everyone down the strech.. How could he lose to such inferior teams? If Charlie was such a hard worker why didnt he work to have his team in better physical condition so thy wouldnt wilt at the end?
He failed in so many ways. He needed to work smarter not harder.

Those are all valid criticisms. Charlie was so focused on the X's and O's he thought he could win games with superior play calling, forgetting too many of the other things that needed to be done first. And yes, his teams were soft and out of shape. I don't even remember if ND had a S&C coach back in those days. If we did, he wasn't very good.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
Those are all valid criticisms. Charlie was so focused on the X's and O's he thought he could win games with superior play calling, forgetting too many of the other things that needed to be done first. And yes, his teams were soft and out of shape. I don't even remember if ND had a S&C coach back in those days. If we did, he wasn't very good.
The only schematic advantage he had was how to attack the smorgasbord table.

I think we already have a pretty clear picture as to Freeman’s impact on recruiting. I see no reason to dismiss the 23 class as some natural event. Freeman has put together a really strong staff, and he and they have Clearly energized our recruiting efforts, and the level of commitments to date and repeated very positive references by target recruits to Freeman and the staff validate this. I do agree that it takes a couple years to evaluate Freeman‘s Success as a head coach. Putting together a great staff and putting together back to back complimentary classes are a huge part of evaluating his success, as will be continuing the ND graduation rate for players; but how this ultimately translates to success on the field is the proverbial bottom line. Under Kelly we excelled at winning games we were supposed to win, but rarely pulled off an upset and often underperformed in big games. I hope Freeman is able to maintain the former and reverse the later. I’m desperate for ND competing at a high level in big games, and winning more than their share. I’m cautiously optimistic that Freeman and staff are going to deliver this.
I know this opinion isn’t popular but I believe freeman was not a great D coordinator…. Absolute head scratching play vs offenses with a pulse. With that said, I believe he can be a great modern day head coach. People are drawn to him at all levels. I also believe he will let his coaches coach and he will continue to recruit his rear end off. To me, 10-2 is the bar of what I expect next year. But how nd performs at Ohio state next year will be very telling, even if we don’t win.
Coaching is a huge reason why we aren’t heading into the season with huge momentum after what should have been a butt kicking of ok state. Freeman struggled to make adjustments as a coordinator, does he have good enough coordinators now to make those adjustments for him?

I know this opinion isn’t popular but I believe freeman was not a great D coordinator…. Absolute head scratching play vs offenses with a pulse. With that said, I believe he can be a great modern day head coach. People are drawn to him at all levels. I also believe he will let his coaches coach and he will continue to recruit his rear end off. To me, 10-2 is the bar of what I expect next year. But how nd performs at Ohio state next year will be very telling, even if we don’t win.
Coaching is a huge reason why we aren’t heading into the season with huge momentum after what should have been a butt kicking of ok state. Freeman struggled to make adjustments as a coordinator, does he have good enough coordinators now to make those adjustments for him?

I agree.

Nonsense

Not true. He lacked d line and sucked at hiring good coaches but he was a great recruiter. His classes were not overrated.
He lacked defense, period. And off line. His classes were absolutely overrated. Their play and the nfl showed that

I still think BK had a shot at a title his first year if he could have saved Clausen and Tate. They played no top 10 teams, 2 top 20 and split (Stanford / Utah). But, he didn't and we didnt.....

We had 4 RB's that were drafted, 3 WR drafted, 2 of the best TE's in ND history, and a great line. Add in about 8 of your D went pro and you have probowl Harrison Smith, Shembo, Te'o and Kapy......

That was a really talented team Wies had but failed to capitalize on. Your QB was Christ, put Clausen and Tate back in that year and I just don't see any teams on that weak schedule beating them.

Reactions: john0gaunt
I'm sorry, but did you just say that BK had a legit shot at a title, his first season, hired to rebuild ND, after the program had fallen on hard times by reason of Weis' poor leadership, and it's generally sorry state, which most observers pretty much agree on. And ND football was not in a good place at all at the time of Weis' dismissal....

Well, I'm not going to call you a hater, strictly on that basis.... But that's just an oddball thing to say. And another window into the mind of ND fans, in this case with the focus on the very morbid fascination over one Jimmy Clausen. You want to talk about a slight millennerian streak in ND fans, there's your evidence. That Jimmy Clausen could have, would have been some world-changing, destiny-altering talent at QB, and ND might be in a very different place if he had been in some way utilized better, and allowed to flourish more felicitously with his great talent. Instead of becoming in ND fans' imagination truly the perpetual one that got away..... Even though he had everything handed to him and had every opportunity a player could ever reasonably want in terms of getting his chances, and being properly developed in all respects....

He was just overrated and not that good, and not that talented.... And he couldn't have asked for anything more, not merely being handed the job as a true frosh, but having a highly competent coach like Weis ready to cater to his every football need. He was not shortchanged in ANY WAY in terms of his college career. He just effin' sucks..... And ND was not going to win no championship riding his backside.

I'm sorry, but did you just say that BK had a legit shot at a title, his first season, hired to rebuild ND, after the program had fallen on hard times by reason of Weis' poor leadership, and it's generally sorry state, which most observers pretty much agree on. And ND football was not in a good place at all at the time of Weis' dismissal....

Well, I'm not going to call you a hater, strictly on that basis.... But that's just an oddball thing to say. And another window into the mind of ND fans, in this case with the focus on the very morbid fascination over one Jimmy Clausen. You want to talk about a slight millennerian streak in ND fans, there's your evidence. That Jimmy Clausen could have, would have been some world-changing, destiny-altering talent at QB, and ND might be in a very different place if he had been in some way utilized better, and allowed to flourish more felicitously with his great talent. Instead of becoming in ND fans' imagination truly the perpetual one that got away..... Even though he had everything handed to him and had every opportunity a player could ever reasonably want in terms of getting his chances, and being properly developed in all respects....

He was just overrated and not that good, and not that talented.... And he couldn't have asked for anything more, not merely being handed the job as a true frosh, but having a highly competent coach like Weis ready to cater to his every football need. He was not shortchanged in ANY WAY in terms of his college career. He just effin' sucks..... And ND was not going to win no championship riding his backside.

Speaking of windows into the mind of another poster, do you not see the irony in the fact that you have no problem with casually shitting all over Jimmy Clausen, yet you literally become apoplectic if someone has the temerity to disagree with your opinion that Brian Kelly was the second coming of Vince Lombardi? (I would have used Knute Rockne in the metaphor, but I think in your mind Rockne was an inferior coach to Kelly.)

So I guess beauty isn't in the eye of the beholder?

Yes, if he kept Clausen and Tate. Clausen was the best QB BK would have. Tate was not stoppable. We had a weak ass schedule and he was an unknown. He didn’t have to rebuild crap from a talent standpoint. They where loaded, again, if you keep Clausen and Tate.

Go look at that schedule and tell me who beats us with Jimmy and Tate? Stanford was the only team that legit beat us with Dayne Christ.

I have always said BK was an excellent coach but a sub par recruiter. His tenor averaged close to a 13th finish.

CW left a good amount of recruits/talent but you need that QB and WR. He has it slip through his fingers.

You do realize that Clausen passed for almost 4k yards as a junior and just shy of 70% completion percentage? If he stayed at ND and hit about 4k season he would be the number one QB in history. So yea, I’m pretty sure we would have been a very tough out.

Last edited:
Speaking of windows into the mind of another poster, do you not see the irony in the fact that you have no problem with casually shitting all over Jimmy Clausen, yet you literally become apoplectic if someone has the temerity to disagree with your opinion that Brian Kelly was the second coming of Vince Lombardi? (I would have used Knute Rockne in the metaphor, but I think in your mind Rockne was an inferior coach to Kelly.)

So I guess beauty isn't in the eye of the beholder?

If Savvy disagrees with you consider yourself on the right track for just about anything in life. I do think he’s posting from one of the following locations: prison, loony bin, a middle school.

Weis' classes definitely leaned offensively, but he recruited three top 5 classes in a row. With plenty of high 4 star and 5 star talent on both sides of the ball.
Apparently when it fits our argument we throw objective data out the window and start shooting from the hip.

Weis' classes definitely leaned offensively, but he recruited three top 5 classes in a row. With plenty of high 4 star and 5 star talent on both sides of the ball.
Apparently when it fits our argument we throw objective data out the window and start shooting from the hip.
Scouting wasn't as good then and we got bumped up because we were ND. Those classes were overrated. He recruited the OL and defense average at best. The class inbalances came back to hurt us.

cOSU may have done us a favor by forcing a change at DC.

Top 5 means highly rated...Doesn't mean balanced. USC has been getting highly rated classes for the last 5 years, but the lack of balance has left them shitty. Same with Weis. He was top loaded at skill spots but his assistants sucked at developing ol and dl and he wasn't bringing in talent at those spots consistently which crippled the team.

No. He recruited skill players well. He sucked at d line recruiting. SUCKED.

He was never at Notre Dame or Kansas able to bring in a single balanced class
He was a bad head coach. Bad college coach really. He had no business working with kids. He could draw up good NFL plans. Not sure why we hired him. The entire hiring of him was weird.

Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
He was a bad head coach. Bad college coach really. He had no business working with kids. He could draw up good NFL plans. Not sure why we hired him. The entire hiring of him was weird.
It all started with the moronic Hiring of Ty Willingham. They went and got the complete opposite of Ty in a HC, then had to go get the complete opposite of Weis in Kelly. The opposite of Weis is a good college program developer but kelly offered no creativy or charisma and he just couldn't get over the hump.

Freeman inherits a VERY healthy program. I just hope his lack of coaching abilities is masked by his coordinators. We'll see what product shows up in columbus.

It all started with the moronic Hiring of Ty Willingham. They went and got the complete opposite of Ty in a HC, then had to go get the complete opposite of Weis in Kelly. The opposite of Weis is a good college program developer but kelly offered no creativy or charisma and he just couldn't get over the hump.

Freeman inherits a VERY healthy program. I just hope his lack of coaching abilities is masked by his coordinators. We'll see what product shows up in columbus.
Dumb

ADVERTISEMENT