ADVERTISEMENT

Realistically, what level are we this year?

Realistically, what level are we this year?

• Total voters
We appear to be improving. I don't know how many players the announcers stated were playing that were either true freshman or RS freshman, but it was a lot. Good omen for the future. Right now, I would state ND is a top 25 team. I'm not convinced we have the overall talent or depth on defense to be top 10 yet. However, if the Irish can keep recruiting on the defensive side of the ball like they are this year, it won't be long.

I think we're a top 20-25 team right now. Given all the new coaches and defensive schemes and new players in key positions, I think we are a work in progress more than prior years. I also think it's possible we are a top ten team by season's end, and a candidate for a major bowl not part of the playoffs. But that's damn near a perfect scenario. The USC game will reveal much.

Top 15 and trending up. With an experienced Brandon Wimbush we would be top 10 knocking on the door of playoff contention. I like the new OC/DC... Special Teams is still quite the enigma sans Yoon.

I'm saying top 25. We should be big favorities over everyone on our schedule with thr exception of SC and maybe Stanford. I said bf the season started 8 and 4, 9 and 3 best case scenario and I'm sticking with that. Let's hope we are still at 1 loss going into that SC game. For me this was always a building year.

I said top 20. Wimbush is our wild card. He's a great runner, so if he gets hurt, it could ruin our chances. But his passing gives me agita, and I can see him literally throwing away a couple of games. But if he gets better throwing the ball, we have a shot at finishing in the top 15.

Last edited:
Looking at the AP Top 25 ND could play with any of the teams ranked 12th and lower. Va Tech, Auburn, and Miami (12-15) would make for some good football games against the Irish. I think next season could be very special with the talent returning and this current recruiting class (2018).

We will know the answer after USC. That's assuming the Irish are 5 and 1 heading into that game. SC is a legit top 7 team. But for now I'd say they are about right where they should be. Ranked 22nd is about right considering the talent they have and the teams they beat and of course the close loss to Georgia has to be taken in to account. A win against Georgia and I would have them in the top 15. But until they beat a top tier opponent, you cannot rank them too high.

Now. 15-20. If BW progresses each week. 10-15. If it clicks sooner and he becomes a 65-70% comp. Top 10.

Like FSU, we have top talent and coaching. Gotta have a QB in today's game. FSU has no QB yet and it shows.

The game against the Carolina schools will say more about this team. The U, SC, Stanford are tough games. Especially since two are on the road. If ND gets 1 of 3? that would be good. 2 of 3 ideal. 3 of 3? Well I do think ND is there yet.

So by getting 1 of 3, and taking care of the Carolina schools and the rest of the schedule. ND ends up 9-3 ranked in the 20's and plays in a good bowl. Which is about where they are right now. It gets BK off a hot seat that frankly he should of never been on. But none the less the coaching optics improve too.

We appear to be improving. I don't know how many players the announcers stated were playing that were either true freshman or RS freshman, but it was a lot.

I believe the number was 18, playing regularly.

ADVERTISEMENT