ADVERTISEMENT

Pyne...

stu4don

I've posted how many times?
Dec 13, 2006
Just saw a breakdown of some of his throws in last week's win in the playoffs.

The kid has great feet, a quicker and cleaner release than Phil or Buchner (who seems a bit sidearm), and Drew can let it go. I've been falling all over myself about Tyler lately (his numbers are off the charts) but Drew looks like at the real deal too! And he has been all ND from the get-go... This is always the tough thing when you are recruiting quality kids at that position -- not every one can play.... And, Clark looked very good in his limited time this year!

Maybe Book has a great year this year and gets us to the dance.
Phil stays and has two solid years. (Or has a Trevor L-like first year and goes pro???!)
Pyne and Tyler duke it out...?

Wonder what the guys out there who know more about QBs than I do, have to day -- and remember what happened at USC this year...

Any QB gurus out there want to make a prediction?

The kid has great feet, a quicker and cleaner release than Phil or Buchner (who seems a bit sidearm), and Drew can let it go. I've been falling all over myself about Tyler lately (his numbers are off the charts) but Drew looks like at the real deal too! And he has been all ND from the get-go... This is always the tough thing when you are recruiting quality kids at that position -- not every one can play.... And, Clark looked very good in his limited time this year!

Phil stays and has two solid years. (Or has a Trevor L-like first year and goes pro???!)

Wonder what the guys out there who know more about QBs than I do, have to day -- and remember what happened at USC this year...

ND fans are sleeping on this kid because of the Buchner commitment. Pyne was offered by Bama in 8th grade or something like that. At one point he was expected to be the best recruit in the nation but like usual, recruiting services cooled on him when he didn’t get “tall enough.” Tell that to the countless all pro quarterbacks that were sub 6’0 and many of the greatest college qb’s.

Reactions: SanFranciscoIrish
Yeah my prediction is Buchner is the future and by far the best QB prospect Kelly has ever landed

Bama, Auburn, LSU, Oklahoma and basically every other major program offered him too so I’d say he’s pretty damn good. Should be two top prospects to compete for 2021 season. By 2022 season one of them should be elite.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Buchner commitment lights a fire under Drew’s ass and he works his ass off to become the eventual starter. Both are very talented. Way more raw talent than Book. I think we’re in good hands as long as the competition remains.

ND fans are sleeping on this kid because of the Buchner commitment. Pyne was offered by Bama in 8th grade or something like that. At one point he was expected to be the best recruit in the nation but like usual, recruiting services cooled on him when he didn’t get “tall enough.” Tell that to the countless all pro quarterbacks that were sub 6’0 and many of the greatest college qb’s.
Countless All Pro quarterbacks? If there are so many could you list your 10 best All Pro quarterbacks under 6 foot?

Reactions: notredamerises23

Theisman wasn't six foot tall

Theisman was not short back in his day. Every generation gets taller.

Actually Bodi, Theismann was considered to short for the NFL so he took his talent to Canada for two successful seasons before returning to the Redskins and a super bowl win.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
Actually Bodi, Theismann was considered to short for the NFL so he took his talent to Canada for two successful seasons before returning to the Redskins and a super bowl win.
Thank you Ara, I stand corrected. One of my first memories of Joe was when he threw for 520 yards against USC in a valiant but losing cause. He seemed tall to me back then as I was only 8 years old.

I must confess that Joe was my favorite QB at ND. He could beat you with his legs or that canon throwing arm. That team should have been Ara's third national champion. Oh well!

Last edited:
Reactions: BodiTheGreat
Hmmm. That’s definitely not countless. That’s 3. Actually 2 since Flutie was never an all pro.

Don’t mean to be a jerk, but height matters.
Not for Brees or Wilson. Do you think Brees would be even more effective if he was 6’4? I do not.

Did it help PJ beat Book for the starting job? Seems height and stars meant Jack shit when it can to that competition.

Also, I’m not arguing that height is an advantage at QB. I’m arguing that for many guys it didn’t/doesn’t matter. I’d also argue that there are less short quarterbacks because they’re also great at other positions and are pigeonholed at RB/WR/DB/S early in their athletic life and told they shouldn’t or cannot play QB, which is total rubbish. Brees and Wilson both said F the haters.

Also, I’m not arguing that height is an advantage at QB. I’m arguing for many guys it didn’t/doesn’t matter. I’d also argue that there are less short quarterbacks because they’re also great at other positions and are pigeonholed at RB/WR/DB/S early in their athletic life.
You named 3 qbs in the last 50 years. And Joe only made 2 pro bowls his career.

You named 3 qbs in the last 50 years. And Joe only made 2 pro bowls his career.
Only?

I named 2 that start today. I don’t feel like looking up more. Frankly, teams fabricate their height so I’d say all “6’1 or 6’2 qb’s” are somewhere between 5’10 and 6’1. Anyone who’s played football knows how grossly overstated height and weight are.

I saw Flutie play in person at BC. Best college player I have ever seen.
Hate him in the broadcast booth.

There's a lot of starting quarterbacks in the NFL that would die to have Joe's accomplishments over his NFL career. He started 124 games for Washington and was 77 - 47 in the regular season and 6-2 in the playoffs. He also won SB XVII then lose SB XVlll. Nice career for a guy too small to play in the NFL at Quarterback.

Redskins franchise records
  • Most career wins by a quarterback (87)
  • Most career passing yards (25,206)
  • Most career passing completions (2,044)
  • Most career passing attempts (3,602)

Flutie may not have been all pro but he did have some good years and one year in particular had an mvp type season. Inexplicably, wade Phillips went w/ rob Johnson in the playoffs that year. Dopey move.

Reactions: tbonesays
Only?

I named 2 that start today. I don’t feel like looking up more. Frankly, teams fabricate their height so I’d say all “6’1 or 6’2 qb’s” are somewhere between 5’10 and 6’1. Anyone who’s played football knows how grossly overstated height and weight are.
Because there is no more

There's a lot of starting quarterbacks in the NFL that would die to have Joe's accomplishments over his NFL career. He started 124 games for Washington and was 77 - 47 in the regular season and 6-2 in the playoffs. He also won SB XVII then lose SB XVlll. Nice career for a guy too small to play in the NFL at Quarterback.

Redskins franchise records
  • Most career wins by a quarterback (87)
  • Most career passing yards (25,206)
  • Most career passing completions (2,044)
  • Most career passing attempts (3,602)
He had a nice career.

Pyne reminds me of Andrew Hendrix. I feel like he will compete for a QB2 posistion, but based off of a comparison I feel like Tyler is more complete. You don't really ever know though, he could come in and really play well and I hope he does. He will have a year under his belt to learn the offense before Tyler and then will have to compete with PJ and Tyler. We are certainly deep at QB over the next couple years.

Joe Burrow was a 3*, the 24th ranked dual threat QB. Course he was 6'3"... Pyne is currently 6'1" -- we'll stretch him to 6'2"... Here is the height of all NFL QBs.

https://gooddeedseats.com/all-starting-nfl-quarterback-heights/

Short? Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees... currently.

For the oldsters! Don't forget Sonny Jurgensen and my fave, Fran Tarkengton. Eddie LaBaron was 5'7"!!!!

If you are talking college ball only Randel El at IU was hell on wheels

Pyne reminds me of Andrew Hendrix. I feel like he will compete for a QB2 posistion, but based off of a comparison I feel like Tyler is more complete. You don't really ever know though, he could come in and really play well and I hope he does. He will have a year under his belt to learn the offense before Tyler and then will have to compete with PJ and Tyler. We are certainly deep at QB over the next couple years.
Disagree. He throws the ball much better than Hendrix did out of high school.

I just watched some different videos of Pyne, I’m not so sure why so many want to back burner him already for Tyler?

I see a young man that is very intelligent, makes good reads/progressions for a young player, athletic, very accurate thrower, and good pocket presence/awareness.

The only thing I saw is he doesn’t have a booming downfield throw, when he throws it downfield he is accurate and in stride, just not off the charts distance.

I think he plays similar to Book actually but Pyne is much more polished at his age than Book was by a wide margin.

I just watched some different videos of Pyne, I’m not so sure why so many want to back burner him already for Tyler?

I see a young man that is very intelligent, makes good reads/progressions for a young player, athletic, very accurate thrower, and good pocket presence/awareness.

The only thing I saw is he doesn’t have a booming downfield throw, when he throws it downfield he is accurate and in stride, just not off the charts distance.

I think he plays similar to Book actually but Pyne is much more polished at his age than Book was by a wide margin.
Buchner is just better than Pyne at all those things. Across the board. Buchner is a special talent

Buchner is an amazing athlete. I remember being impressed by the way Phil ran it in high school -- he was fast -- but Buchner takes off and cuts like a running back, also can extend a play and can throw it... Isn't as polished a passes as Pyne -- Pyne can really spin the ball, and has a polished throwing motion... different QBs, both with talent. Nice problem to have!

Flutie may not have been all pro but he did have some good years and one year in particular had an mvp type season. Inexplicably, wade Phillips went w/ rob Johnson in the playoffs that year. Dopey move.

I skipped skiing to watch that game. Total disappointment until the last play.

Also, I’m not arguing that height is an advantage at QB. I’m arguing that for many guys it didn’t/doesn’t matter. I’d also argue that there are less short quarterbacks because they’re also great at other positions and are pigeonholed at RB/WR/DB/S early in their athletic life and told they shouldn’t or cannot play QB, which is total rubbish. Brees and Wilson both said F the haters.
That’s complete BS. First rule of high school football is that if your best athlete can throw even a little bit then you start him at quarterback.

ADVERTISEMENT