ADVERTISEMENT

Pro Day

Bumpdaddy

ND Expert
Oct 20, 2014
ND's pro day was just broadcast on NBC Sports Network. It's still going on but NBC has since cut away to go to regular broadcasting. Here are some of the results so far.

40 times
Ian Book 4.59
Shawn Crawford 4.47
Robert Hainsey 5.22
Nick McCloud 4.37
Tommy Tremble 4.59
Brock Wright 4.6

Wu didn't run due to a tight hamstring. Hayes and Ade haven't run yet. I'm not sure if they are going to.

Wright running as fast as Tremble is a surprise. That's a good time for both. Book ran about as fast as I thought he would and it's a good time. Crawford ran faster than I thought. He was roughly a 4.4 runner as a freshman but it has certainly looked like he slowed down a bit after the injuries. The obvious shocker, however, is McCloud's time but, after looking at the video, it seems legit:

Bench press
Liam Eichenberg - 33 reps (very good)
Robert Hainsey - 26 reps
Aaron Banks - 24 reps
Brock Wright - 26 reps (very good)
Javon McKinley - 20 reps (would have ranked 4th among WRs at last year's combine)

Broad jump
JOK - 10-4 (very good)

Vertical
JOK - 36.5 (good)

Several other players did the broad jump and vertical but I'm not seeing times/numbers for them. There is a video of Tremble doing the vertical and he clearly had a good jump but no measurement was listed. And since Ade and Daelin (Jamir Jones will be working out with them too) were just getting ready to do their drills, I'm also assuming they will do their other testing then too, so no 40 times, jumps, or reps from them yet.

They did show Book's throwing session. Kyren and Avery participated, which isn't allowed but it just means they will have to sit out of 1 spring practice so it was definitely worth it for them to do so. Overall, Book was just so-so with his throws but his 40 time should help him.

I'll update if/when there are more times/numbers to post.

Nice! Ian Book ran a 4.59. I figured he would run well, but sometimes you're surprised by what you thought was a pretty athletic QB and then he only runs a 4.8.

A lot of people were busting on Nick McCloud, that he's okay, but he's not a serious NFL prospect. I don't know, he looked pretty good this past season, as well as a perfectly impressive overall physical specimen. And sure enough, he runs a sub 4.4.

About what you'd hope for/expect from Tremble. Javon's is the one I'd be most curious about. Like if he threw out a low 4.4 out of the blue that you were not expecting him to run.

Reactions: scubastevefl
ND's pro day was just broadcast on NBC Sports Network. It's still going on but NBC has since cut away to go to regular broadcasting. Here are some of the results so far.

40 times
Ian Book 4.59
Shawn Crawford 4.47
Robert Hainsey 5.22
Nick McCloud 4.37
Tommy Tremble 4.59
Brock Wright 4.6

Wu didn't run due to a tight hamstring. Hayes and Ade haven't run yet. I'm not sure if they are going to.

Wright running as fast as Tremble is a surprise. That's a good time for both. Book ran about as fast as I thought he would and it's a good time. Crawford ran faster than I thought. He was roughly a 4.4 runner as a freshman but it has certainly looked like he slowed down a bit after the injuries. The obvious shocker, however, is McCloud's time but, after looking at the video, it seems legit:

Bench press
Liam Eichenberg - 33 reps (very good)
Robert Hainsey - 26 reps
Aaron Banks - 24 reps
Brock Wright - 26 reps (very good)
Javon McKinley - 20 reps (would have ranked 4th among WRs at last year's combine)

Broad jump
JOK - 10-4 (very good)

Vertical
JOK - 36.5 (good)

Several other players did the broad jump and vertical but I'm not seeing times/numbers for them. There is a video of Tremble doing the vertical and he clearly had a good jump but no measurement was listed. And since Ade and Daelin (Jamir Jones will be working out with them too) were just getting ready to do their drills, I'm also assuming they will do their other testing then too, so no 40 times, jumps, or reps from them yet.

They did show Book's throwing session. Kyren and Avery participated, which isn't allowed but it just means they will have to sit out of 1 spring practice so it was definitely worth it for them to do so. Overall, Book was just so-so with his throws but his 40 time should help him.

I'll update if/when there are more times/numbers to post.
Thanks for posting. Appreciate this.

Nice! Ian Book ran a 4.59. I figured he would run well, but sometimes you're surprised by what you thought was a pretty athletic QB and then he only runs a 4.8.

A lot of people were busting on Nick McCloud, that he's okay, but he's not a serious NFL prospect. I don't know, he looked pretty good this past season, as well as a perfectly impressive overall physical specimen. And sure enough, he runs a sub 4.4.

About what you'd hope for/expect from Tremble. Javon's is the one I'd be most curious about. Like if he threw out a low 4.4 out of the blue that you were not expecting him to run.
teams mostly stayed away from mccloud and exploited bracy, crawford, and lewis. He just didn't make many plays when they did challenge him. Good sign you didn't notice him much, but at the college level or really any level, elite corners make plays.

WIth that said, I am surprised he ran such a good 40. I'm sure that will help him make some money.

teams mostly stayed away from mccloud and exploited bracy, crawford, and lewis. He just didn't make many plays when they did challenge him. Good sign you didn't notice him much, but at the college level or really any level, elite corners make plays.

WIth that said, I am surprised he ran such a good 40. I'm sure that will help him make some money.

Yeah, you're an expert on how shitty our DBs are, especially Crawford and Bracy, which you've shared with the board on numerous occasions. So that's already covered. No need to for you to take this opportunity to start digging into McCloud as well. So for my sake at least, make this the last comment you make, in this thread at least, about what garbage our CBs were/are. Just shut your damn mouth. Unless you want to get another round going of me calling you a hater, which you probably do want, and what you're trying to get going by baiting me.

But I'm trying to stop calling haters like you haters, and since you did eke out one halfway complimentary remark, we'll call it even. Now just shut up from here on out.

I think Mahomes only runs a 4.8, QB’s 40’s a little surprising sometimes.

225 is the weight used for Bench press. I’m a regular gym rat and 225 is my 1RM. Shows the kinda shape these guys are in.

Reactions: nemeth#5
Yeah, you're an expert on how shitty our DBs are, especially Crawford and Bracy, which you've shared with the board on numerous occasions. So that's already covered. No need to for you to take this opportunity to start digging into McCloud as well. So for my sake at least, make this the last comment you make, in this thread at least, about what garbage our CBs were/are. Just shut your damn mouth. Unless you want to get another round going of me calling you a hater, which you probably do want, and what you're trying to get going by baiting me.

But I'm trying to stop calling haters like you haters, and since you did eke out one halfway complimentary remark, we'll call it even. Now just shut up from here on out.
what is a hater? Someone calling great play great play or someone that calls poor play poor play?

Mccloud played good last year, i've stated it multiple times. I Just said above teams stayed away from him. I said in this thread or another thread today I think he will be our biggest loss on D.

Bracy and crawford were awful last year, no other way to state it. Lewis was a frosh that didn't make mental mistakes but physically just wasn't or isn't there.

This is a discussion forum. Can't really discuss anything if everyone and everything is perfect and nothing should ever be changed.

Reactions: Chest Brockwell
Sounds like outside of his 40 time, Book had an average to poor showing today. I had always expected him to be a very late round pick at best, but from what I read this likely pushes him out of the draft and into becoming a free agent. Tommy showed what he has shown Irish fans during his time here - speed and athleticism but insistent hands. I'm guessing he didn't hurt himself but probably didn't do anything to convince someone to pick him earlier than projected.

Sounds like outside of his 40 time, Book had an average to poor showing today. I had always expected him to be a very late round pick at best, but from what I read this likely pushes him out of the draft and into becoming a free agent. Tommy showed what he has shown Irish fans during his time here - speed and athleticism but insistent hands. I'm guessing he didn't hurt himself but probably didn't do anything to convince someone to pick him earlier than projected.

Where'd you here that? Was it Bryan Driskell's website?

I'm gonna have to google that.....

And yes, it appears it is Bryan Driskell that's Johnny on the spot ready to report on Book's shitty passing, or that's how he characterized it leastwise. No surprise there. He wasn't that vicious about, he's had to rein himself in a little bit when it comes to open expressions of hostility for Book, considering what an outright star Book has become.

In any case, Book is not the most talented pure passer, we all know this, so if he really did struggle with his deep ball or his accuracy or his timing today, it's not a revelation. But I guess it is disappointing all the same. But like Driskell said in his remarks, he's got plenty of solid game film.

Where'd you here that? Was it Bryan Driskell's website?

I'm gonna have to google that.....
Driskell said the pro day for Book was a mixed bag. Book helped himself but showing how athletic he was, didn't help himself by struggling with accuracy and power on deep throws. Didn't say it pushed him out of the draft, just that it didn't help improve his stock that much. Not sure where the negative review is coming from

Reactions: savvyandsassier
One thing Book seems to have is huge hands. Bigger than some of the OL, according to today's testing. So in trying to improve his passing and raise his skills to NFL level, he doesn't have to worry about the ball slipping.

So for a short QB he's got the hands for it!

Reactions: nemeth#5

Immature child like

Driskell said the pro day for Book was a mixed bag. Book helped himself but showing how athletic he was, didn't help himself by struggling with accuracy and power on deep throws. Didn't say it pushed him out of the draft, just that it didn't help improve his stock that much. Not sure where the negative review is coming from

Book may or may not make it in the NFL, and if he doesn't it won't be a huge shock.

It just seems like he's close. If he could just get a little sharper and better with his passing skills and I suppose his reading of defenses - which I understand of course are extremely important aspects to being a QB - because he's got the overall presence. He's perfectly built for it, he's a terrific athlete, he seems to be a very steady hand at the wheel, and his overall character is off the charts.... and he's not a bad passer at all, he's just maybe not quite good enough.

He just seems like someone who's right on the cusp of having what he needs. He throws a nice ball most of the time, but he's not always accurate enough. If he can last a year or two on the taxi squad or as third stringer, maybe he can make that improvement. I just want him to make a roster and bust his ass figuring out a way to get his accuracy and consistency that notch or two higher.

Reactions: francade
So outside of Ian Book....

- Tremble did okay, and looks to be drafted in the first four rounds somewhere. He certainly appears to have tested pretty damn well.

- Ogudenji and Hayes both ran and tested well, they'll both get drafted of course.

- ex-grad transfer Nick McCloud ran a sub 4.4 at 6-0 tall, so that's good.

- Liam Eichenberg was apparently 'thrown under the bus' by BK who today said he'll make a great RT in the NFL. Which is true, that's where he's slated to play as a pro. Just like McGlinchey. But the haters on ND Nation are incensed that BK could be so gauche as to say something like that. I'm just hoping Liam goes in the 1st round, making it four straight ND LTs drafted in Round 1 since BK's been here.

- and Javon ran a 4.57, which is not great, but not too bad either. I suppose he probably won't get drafted.

Update:

Ade and Daelin's testing numbers are in. Here's how they did.

Ade - 4.75
Daelin - 4.71

Good times for both.

Vertical
Ade - 32
Daelin - 32.5

Broad

Ade - 10.0
Daelin - 9-11

Good for both

Bench
Ade - 22
Daelin - 26 (good)

Shuttle
Ade - 4.64
Daelin - 4.29 (good)

Overall, those testing numbers are very good. Daelin's "Relative Athletic Score" numbers put him in the 90th percentile for all DE's since 1987.

It looks like just about everyone who participated did at least OK to very good. No one hurt himself although it looks like McKinley wasn't able to test because I don't see any times/numbers for anything. I believe he did run some routes for Book. Apparently, Corey Robinson thought Tremble and Ade performed the best overall today. I think several of the guys will see their draft stock go up.

Update II:

Apparently, McKinley ran the 40 in 4.57. I figured he'd be around a 4.6 so that's slightly better than I thought.

Here are the results for everyone who participated (in case anyone forgot, Skowronek broke his foot during Senior Bowl practice and was unable to participate).

what is a hater? Someone calling great play great play or someone that calls poor play poor play?

Mccloud played good last year, i've stated it multiple times. I Just said above teams stayed away from him. I said in this thread or another thread today I think he will be our biggest loss on D.

Bracy and crawford were awful last year, no other way to state it. Lewis was a frosh that didn't make mental mistakes but physically just wasn't or isn't there.

This is a discussion forum. Can't really discuss anything if everyone and everything is perfect and nothing should ever be changed.
like you, driskell is a petty little grudge hugger.

38, maybe I was thinking clean & jerk, but I’m not sure I have too many in me at 225.
It’s incredible that these guys can rep out 25+ reps. That said- they’re 18-23, so they’ve got loads of T flowing through their bodies, and being ND Football players, their nutrition is likely perfect. Human performance is fascinating. Remarkable what the body can do if conditions are right and total commitment is there.

Tough break???

What am I missing here???

The young man earned a full ride scholarship to one of the greatest athletic/academic universities in the country!

I and pretty much everyone would take that kind of “tough break”.

I imagine there is quite a break between 7th round money and an undrafted free agent.

225 is the weight used for Bench press. I’m a regular gym rat and 225 is my 1RM. Shows the kinda shape these guys are in.

I squatted nearly that, once, when I was 25.

I just want to follow up that Eichenberg appeared to have had an excellent day of testing as well. He's got to be back into first-round consideration after testing as well as he did. The whole narrative with Liam is that he's not quite athletic or physically talented enough to merit a 1st-round pick, despite his basically stellar performance on the field.

Once again to refer to BK's possibly indiscreet remarks about Liam's supposed lack of athleticism, which the haters definitely are doing. My take as someone who tries to at least always give BK the benefit of the doubt, is nothing more than to say that all BK is doing is summarizing and recapping what most of the draft pundits are already saying about Liam in mock drafts and whatnot. As well as alluding to former ND OL stalwart Mike McGlinchey, who Liam replaced and who was also a LT who moved to RT in the pros, and he was the 9th overall pick and is now an entrenched NFL starter.

And so that's obviously what BK is thinking with those remarks I feel like it's safe to say. And if anything he's simply trying to associate Liam's rising prospects and potential with everything McGlinchey has already achieved thus far.

liam isn't an elite left tackle in the NFL, doesn't mean he can't play it.

He's built and plays like a RT more so than left.

I have no issue with what Kelly said, but really the only person that's opinion matters is Liam's. If he's pissed at what kelly said then kelly shouldn't have said it. I'd hope they have talked a bunch and are on the same page.

I have no issue with what Kelly said, but really the only person that's opinion matters is Liam's. If he's pissed at what kelly said then kelly shouldn't have said it. I'd hope they have talked a bunch and are on the same page.

Alright man, cool..... Thanks for that input.

I don't think there's any way that Liam would be OK with what BK said. It was a dumb thing to say. He should have just praised his guy and let others make whatever left tackle arguments they want to make.

Of course. You're an obvious troll. And we just have to live with you.

In any case, you know how I feel about you, so...
I hope you guys find some common ground. You both know football. Selfishly- it’s great reading when the football conversation is insult free.

You’re both great fans. It’s OK to agree to disagree.

I imagine there is quite a break between 7th round money and an undrafted free agent.

I squatted nearly that, once, when I was 25.
His size, or lack there of, has not hindered him at all as a QB.

Last edited:
I have posted elsewhere that Book and Hainsey offer great value as low round draft choices.

Hainsey can legitimately back up all OL positions except maybe LT. He might be a starter at center. With the salary cap challenges, he will be a very affordable OL addition. I think NFL teams know that and won't rely on a FA or UFA to fill those roles.

Book is not a great passer but he is pretty efficient once he knows the receivers and system. He will provide a safe backup to keep his team in the game while they tape up the starter. Plus, he adds the added benefit of his legs for yards and to extend plays. Again, he is a cheap draft choice for what he offers. Again, why take a chance that you can find a FA or UFA when you can get him in the 6th or 7th round.

I have posted elsewhere that Book and Hainsey offer great value as low round draft choices.

Hainsey can legitimately back up all OL positions except maybe LT. He might be a starter at center. With the salary cap challenges, he will be a very affordable OL addition. I think NFL teams know that and won't rely on a FA or UFA to fill those roles.

Book is not a great passer but he is pretty efficient once he knows the receivers and system. He will provide a safe backup to keep his team in the game while they tape up the starter. Plus, he adds the added benefit of his legs for yards and to extend plays. Again, he is a cheap draft choice for what he offers. Again, why take a chance that you can find a FA or UFA when you can get him in the 6th or 7th round.
You ever watched book in warmups? He doesn’t miss a pass. Why does he struggle with 10+ yard throws in games? It’s the reason 75% of GMs will “pass” on him even as FA. He will get on a team due to ND and his exposure. If he was in D2 with same abilities/talent, he would already have an 8-5.

“Why does he struggle with 10+ yard throws in games?”

he doesn’t. More made up drivel on the subject from the Prez. I’d say give it a rest, but you haven’t stopped for three years so it’s a futile request. Time for a new dog.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT