ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-season Coaches Poll

Not making comparisons about teams or years...but...Before the 93 game...just a few quips from Florida State players about ND:

"Rock Knutne"
"The Three Horsemen"
"What's the Gipper"?
And my favorite from Charlie Ward who said he "wasn't going to South Bend for a history lesson".

So far...we know about the OSU players..."We ain't come here to play school". So...what are they saying specifically about ND? It can't be good, and I hope its not.

Oregon wasn't scared.
I have no idea, different team and a year ago. Like I said we will see if our vaunted defense is as good as advertised or if Ohio State plays pitch and catch like they did against Utah.

IMO, there is a big drop off after the top 3 or 4. People might think ND is overrated at 5, but who would you put in that slot who is below? The next dozen or so teams after the top tier seem interchangeable.

Was thinking the same thing......Texas AM, Michigan? I'm not sure you can say those two are better. Seems ok to start with all we have returning....we were 11-1, lost to a final 4 team and had a coin flip game against the then number 5.

Seems "OK", would rather start like a 9 or 10....more exciting to climb...

That's too high IMO. I'd put us around #10, and move some of the teams with returning QBs ahead of us.
A 14.5 point spread would agree with you.

Though season predictions before opening games can be wildly off.

For ND, extremely overoptimistic in 1950, 1956 and 1981, while overly pessimistic in 1964 and 2012.

Last edited:

For ND, extremely overoptimistic in 1950, 1956 and 1981, while overly pessimistic in 1964 and 2012.

I thought they would be outside the top 10. I had them pegged around #11 before the poll came out. Preseason rankings don't really mean much, but given the turnover of a new coach/staff and a new QB I feel #5 is high.

Reactions: 4-4-3

Not necessarily. There's perceived to be a wide gap between the top 3 and everybody else.

Not necessarily. There's perceived to be a wide gap between the top 3 and everybody else.
That "perception" isn't NECESSARLY true either. OSU could simply be 2 TD's better than ND without being MILES AHEAD OF EVERYONE ELSE.

That "perception" isn't NECESSARLY true either. OSU could simply be 2 TD's better than ND without being MILES AHEAD OF EVERYONE ELSE.
I think they'd be big favorites against anybody else not named Alabama or Georgia. There's a huge gap right now. Even Clemson at #4 is perceived to be a distant 4th. They have QB issues and their offense struggled at times last year.

I think they'd be big favorites against anybody else not named Alabama or Georgia. There's a huge gap right now. Even Clemson at #4 is perceived to be a distant 4th. They have QB issues and their offense struggled at times last year.
My son agrees with you, and you're both probably right.

No argument.

Reactions: mbd11
ADVERTISEMENT