ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-season Coaches Poll

That's too high IMO. I'd put us around #10, and move some of the teams with returning QBs ahead of us.

Reactions: Kelso86
if TB thought the Elite 11 was a pressure cooker, wait till the opener and they line up for the Kickoff!
If I was the HC and win the toss, I kickoff. Let the kid stand on the side for the tOSU opening series to settle into the game. Assuming the D gets a stop on the opening first 1 or 2 series! Let him realize it is just another football game.

Reactions: IrishHerb
I wish ND wasn’t ranked and going into Columbus and kick some ass.

I called this. It's all about puffing Ohio State. With some of the unknowns I feel ND is legitimately a #10-12. However the ceiling is without a doubt #3- #5. This is more about padding Ohio State's resume. Just an opinion. ND CAN beat Ohio State. But Ohio State is favored too high over a #5 team. Hence my suspicion.

I called this. It's all about puffing Ohio State. With some of the unknowns I feel ND is legitimately a #10-12. However the ceiling is without a doubt #3- #5. This is more about padding Ohio State's resume. Just an opinion. ND CAN beat Ohio State. But Ohio State is favored too high over a #5 team. Hence my suspicion.
If they knew what they were talking about they wouldn’t have to re-vote every week.

Brian Kelly had almost the entire depth chart for the last 10 years too. I don’t think ND would have been ranked #5 with Brian Kelly.
Notre Dame made the CFB playoff in 2018 and 2020. If they weren't ranked top 5, they should have been.

Like I said, pre-season polls are not worth the paper they are printed on.

The number 5 ranking is simply based on the players returning and I truly believe the hiring of Golden had an impact as well.

He's a better defensive coach than Freeman and definitely one area I have a great deal of confidence in this squad.

The offense on the other hand needs to show me something.
It's been an eternity since we've stretched the field.
Some long pass attempts here and there but not enough.
Nary any crossing routes caught in stride taken the distance.
When was the last caught in stride over the middle completion that gained 50 yards and scored?

You see the top teams do it quite frequently or at least try to do it...a lot of times those plays happen in the biggest of games. (You complete zero of those passes that you don't attempt)

We'll see what happens with Brian Kelly gone. Does TR turn this into an aggressive offense looking to hang half a hundred up every Saturday or will it be more of the last dozen years playing terrified of failure and inching down the field.

Big plays...
We desperately need them.

We'll soon find out.

The number 5 ranking is simply based on the players returning and I truly believe the hiring of Golden had an impact as well.

He's a better defensive coach than Freeman and definitely one area I have a great deal of confidence in this squad.

The offense on the other hand needs to show me something.
It's been an eternity since we've stretched the field.
Some long pass attempts here and there but not enough.
Nary any crossing routes caught in stride taken the distance.
When was the last caught in stride over the middle completion that gained 50 yards and scored?

You see the top teams do it quite frequently or at least try to do it...a lot of times those plays happen in the biggest of games. (You complete zero of those passes that you don't attempt)

We'll see what happens with Brian Kelly gone. Does TR turn this into an aggressive offense looking to hang half a hundred up every Saturday or will it be more of the last dozen years playing terrified of failure and inching down the field.

Big plays...
We desperately need them.

We'll soon find out.
Will Fuller stretched the field - Kevin Stephenson would have.

Then we had a steady diet of Ian Book throwing back shoulder to big athletic WRs which played to our strengths … game tying drive vs Clemson Avery Davis split two defenders down the middle of the field to get us inside the 10.

IMO, there is a big drop off after the top 3 or 4. People might think ND is overrated at 5, but who would you put in that slot who is below? The next dozen or so teams after the top tier seem interchangeable.

Will Fuller stretched the field - Kevin Stephenson would have.

Then we had a steady diet of Ian Book throwing back shoulder to big athletic WRs which played to our strengths … game tying drive vs Clemson Avery Davis split two defenders down the middle of the field to get us inside the 10.
Show me the Fuller crossing routes caught in stride taken the distance.
He was a "go" route kind of receiver with a couple WR screens sprinkled in.

That said we did have some bigger receivers but not one person here wasn't surprised by Boykin's and Claypool's 40 times @ the combine

Both players ran a 4.42 and certainly close enough to hit a 4.4 or a 4.39

StepheRson...funny you brought him up because he is someone that immediately comes to mind with the BK afraid of failure offense.

Here's a play that wasn't by design.

It was the most electrifying player on our roster and a typical BK 3-5 yard curl and sit route.
Except...Wimbush had an eternity to throw and Stepherson broke out of the sit down curl and caught in stride for a long score.

Again though this wasn't by design which is exactly what I speak of.

Moreover...there was another play in that game where Stepherson was in a BK signature trips formation. A WR screen. Except...he wasn't the receiver mind you...he was the blocker for a much bigger (not St. Brown) and more lumbering player than him.
That play should have utilized Stepherson's athleticism receiving and the bigger bodies blocking.

Oh well....

We will see what happens...
9-3-23 @ 7:30

The entire depth chart is Brian Kelly. And 80%% next season.
So does that mean if ND plays poorly we can blame it on Kelly?

We all know if Kelly was still the HC, history tells us this game would certainly be a blow out loss.

Reactions: d1042
Show me the Fuller crossing routes caught in stride taken the distance.
He was a "go" route kind of receiver with a couple WR screens sprinkled in.

That said we did have some bigger receivers but not one person here wasn't surprised by Boykin's and Claypool's 40 times @ the combine

Both players ran a 4.42 and certainly close enough to hit a 4.4 or a 4.39

StepheRson...funny you brought him up because he is someone that immediately comes to mind with the BK afraid of failure offense.

Here's a play that wasn't by design.

It was the most electrifying player on our roster and a typical BK 3-5 yard curl and sit route.
Except...Wimbush had an eternity to throw and Stepherson broke out of the sit down curl and caught in stride for a long score.

Again though this wasn't by design which is exactly what I speak of.

Moreover...there was another play in that game where Stepherson was in a BK signature trips formation. A WR screen. Except...he wasn't the receiver mind you...he was the blocker for a much bigger (not St. Brown) and more lumbering player than him.
That play should have utilized Stepherson's athleticism receiving and the bigger bodies blocking.

Oh well....

We will see what happens...
9-3-23 @ 7:30
I agree with your assessment of the offense. I too am hoping that Rees was under Kelly's shadow, and with Kelly gone Rees will now open up the offense. We'll definitely know September 3rd.

Although I can see Rees calling some safe pass plays in the first couple of series to build Buchner's confidence in his first start.

So does that mean if ND plays poorly we can blame it on Kelly?

We all know if Kelly was still the HC, history tells us this game would certainly be a blow out loss.
Form your own narrative. Many in here do.

The highest preseason ranking under Kelly was #9 last year and in 2019.

The 9-13 range, which is where ND seemed to live under Kelly, feels about right for this team with such a big question mark at QB.

I thought we'd be as high as 4 and no lower than 9

4 through 9 looks like the range comparative to the rest of the teams

Have been trying to follow the ND practice reports closely. A few items from the Ohio State side through just 5 practices

-Nobody really talks much about the offense because the standard is simply so high and they do what they do. The top three wide receivers will be the guys that started in the Rose Bowl JSN, Marvin Harrison Jr and Emeka Egbuka. All three are future top 10 draft picks and that room is expected to see no drop off from what they were a year ago. Just incredibly elite players that will get the majority of the snaps in the opener. Don't think I've seen a dude like Egbuka in a long time in college football. There was a video clip of him running a 135 degree route and he's just a 200 lb monster that moves like he's Chris Olave. Teams will pay the price if they try to load the box up to stop Henderson.

-They've been able to develop/find some much needed depth up front behind the 5 starters which allieviates a few worries from the spring. Some guys got healthy that missed spring and they should be able to have 8 guys that can play

-Most of the attention has been on the defense. Knowles talked today and he is simply in awe of how good and deep the DL is. They cause major issues for the OL, especially 5 star DE Jack Sawyer who is up to 270 from 230 a year ago. He really put it on projected top 10 NFL pick Paris Johnson yesterday in front of 15 pro scouts that were at practice. He will be lined up against Joe Alt in the opening game in a battle of super sophomores.

-Knowles said he thinks safety Josh Proctor can be the best in the country. Proctor broke his leg in week 2 against Oregon last year.

-Few minor health issues with one of the corners so they've actually taken a few safeties and gotten them reps there in case they need them at some point. They just seem to have way more safeties than corners on scholarship is what it is.

-Big 10 Network Crew will be at practice on Thursday and they'll give their observations.

-First major scrimmage will be Saturday

Have been trying to follow the ND practice reports closely. A few items from the Ohio State side through just 5 practices

-Nobody really talks much about the offense because the standard is simply so high and they do what they do. The top three wide receivers will be the guys that started in the Rose Bowl JSN, Marvin Harrison Jr and Emeka Egbuka. All three are future top 10 draft picks and that room is expected to see no drop off from what they were a year ago. Just incredibly elite players that will get the majority of the snaps in the opener. Don't think I've seen a dude like Egbuka in a long time in college football. There was a video clip of him running a 135 degree route and he's just a 200 lb monster that moves like he's Chris Olave. Teams will pay the price if they try to load the box up to stop Henderson.

-They've been able to develop/find some much needed depth up front behind the 5 starters which allieviates a few worries from the spring. Some guys got healthy that missed spring and they should be able to have 8 guys that can play

-Most of the attention has been on the defense. Knowles talked today and he is simply in awe of how good and deep the DL is. They cause major issues for the OL, especially 5 star DE Jack Sawyer who is up to 270 from 230 a year ago. He really put it on projected top 10 NFL pick Paris Johnson yesterday in front of 15 pro scouts that were at practice. He will be lined up against Joe Alt in the opening game in a battle of super sophomores.

-Knowles said he thinks safety Josh Proctor can be the best in the country. Proctor broke his leg in week 2 against Oregon last year.

-Few minor health issues with one of the corners so they've actually taken a few safeties and gotten them reps there in case they need them at some point. They just seem to have way more safeties than corners on scholarship is what it is.

-Big 10 Network Crew will be at practice on Thursday and they'll give their observations.

-First major scrimmage will be Saturday
WRs will be great but I don't think they will be a good as last year. At least not in game 1. But i don't think by end of the year either

We'll see on top 10 for Paris Johnson. Gotta see more from him

WRs will be great but I don't think they will be a good as last year. At least not in game 1. But i don't think by end of the year either

We'll see on top 10 for Paris Johnson. Gotta see more from him
Paris the prototype NFL tackle. Sawyer getting the best of him isn't an indicator of his skills, Sawyer is just that good. He's now turned into the next Bosa. Watch and see on the WRs-they have more dudes like Julian Fleming and Kam Babb but Hartline is as good as anyone in the game at what he does which is taking talent and turning them into elite players. Egbuka was the top rated WR in the country for 2021 class. And Marvin...well the people inside the building think he can have a Megatron type impact and that he's a generational player.

Paris the prototype NFL tackle. Sawyer getting the best of him isn't an indicator of his skills, Sawyer is just that good. He's now turned into the next Bosa. Watch and see on the WRs-they have more dudes like Julian Fleming and Kam Babb but Hartline is as good as anyone in the game at what he does which is taking talent and turning them into elite players. Egbuka was the top rated WR in the country for 2021 class. And Marvin...well the people inside the building think he can have a Megatron type impact and that he's a generational player.
If Olave and Wilson were on the team, theyd be playing over those 2. That was my only point. Still great but last years was better.

We'll see on Johnson. You may be right but he still has a lot to prove

There college kids, and preseason ranking don't mean anything. Just show up, strap up and play your game.

If Olave and Wilson were on the team, theyd be playing over those 2. That was my only point. Still great but last years was better.

Wouldn't be so sure unless politics were involved. Ebguka is far bigger and stronger than Olave and essentially is equal talent. Marvin is a different kind of player, more of a technician than Wilson. When people inside the Ohio State offices call him generational and a monster, I listen. Zach Smith the former WR coach who runs a podcast and is connected to everyone in their building, said the staff thinks he can have an impact like Calvin Johnson did. Think about why Jameson Williams transferred out last year. Because he wasn't going to be WR1 and that's the case with a lot of guys in that room that could be WR1 at almost every other school in the country.

Wouldn't be so sure unless politics were involved. Ebguka is far bigger and stronger than Olave and essentially is equal talent. Marvin is a different kind of player, more of a technician than Wilson. When people inside the Ohio State offices call him generational and a monster, I listen. Zach Smith the former WR coach who runs a podcast and is connected to everyone in their building, said the staff thinks he can have an impact like Calvin Johnson did. Think about why Jameson Williams transferred out last year. Because he wasn't going to be WR1 and that's the case with a lot of guys in that room that could be WR1 at almost every other school in the country.
Homer talk

Bruce Feldman's freaks list Harrison is 2

2. Marvin Harrison Jr., Ohio State, wide receiver
There has been a ridiculous run of wideout talent in Columbus the past decade, and Harrison, the son of Colts great Marvin Harrison, is probably the Freakiest athlete of the entire group. Harrison is a big dude at 6-3 1/2, 206 pounds. He benched 380 pounds this offseason, doing 22 reps at 225. He clocked a blistering 3.94 pro shuttle time and did 10-9 on the broad jump. He also topped out at 23 mph on the GPS. As a freshman in 2021, he caught 11 passes for 139 yards and three touchdowns but finished with a flourish, catching six passes, including three touchdowns, in the Rose Bowl win over Utah.

Bruce Feldman's freaks list Harrison is 2

2. Marvin Harrison Jr., Ohio State, wide receiver
There has been a ridiculous run of wideout talent in Columbus the past decade, and Harrison, the son of Colts great Marvin Harrison, is probably the Freakiest athlete of the entire group. Harrison is a big dude at 6-3 1/2, 206 pounds. He benched 380 pounds this offseason, doing 22 reps at 225. He clocked a blistering 3.94 pro shuttle time and did 10-9 on the broad jump. He also topped out at 23 mph on the GPS. As a freshman in 2021, he caught 11 passes for 139 yards and three touchdowns but finished with a flourish, catching six passes, including three touchdowns, in the Rose Bowl win over Utah.
scary offense … maybe best to catch them early and hope our vaunted pass rushers can disrupt timing and rush throws or force QB to scramble which could present its own problems. Going to see if the hype about our defense is warranted.

scary offense … maybe best to catch them early and hope our vaunted pass rushers can disrupt timing and rush throws or force QB to scramble which could present its own problems. Going to see if the hype about our defense is warranted.
Oregon wasn't scared.

Oregon still wasn’t scared.

612 yards. Offense wasn't the problem against Oregon. Or in any game. Good thing teams change from year to year or based on how Florida State and Toledo played you I'd say they weren't scared either

Buchner plays well it will be a great game. Buchner and Secondary play well, good shot to win
ND has to be able to run the ball. If ND has under 100-120 yards it’s an OSU blowout win.

150 or more on the ground ND wins.

ADVERTISEMENT