ADVERTISEMENT

Potential de-commit?

Philip Riley is the guy. This is why they're going after after NW commit Theran Johnson. A downgrade, IMO, but it is what it is. That's recruiting.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
Disappointing and unexpected. Whats the reasoning behind this?

The guy had never visited and committed out of the blue, completely unexpectedly. Given everything going on with Covid-19, we were due for one of these.

That said, Riley was not the guy I wanted to lose and, furthermore, the class was just looking like it could take a step towards finishing in the top 10. This probably ends that hope.

The guy had never visited and committed out of the blue, completely unexpectedly. Given everything going on with Covid-19, we were due for one of these.

That said, Riley was not the guy I wanted to lose and, furthermore, the class was just looking like it could take a step towards finishing in the top 10. This probably ends that hope.
He cant visit anywhere so I dont get that. He's making a mistake imo. Mickens is the real deal and we are a top 10 program.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Philip Riley is the guy. This is why they're going after after NW commit Theran Johnson. A downgrade, IMO, but it is what it is. That's recruiting.
Have you seen Johnson his senior year? He does look more twitchy than Riley to me. Not the player yet but down the road we'll see

Have you seen Johnson his senior year? He does look more twitchy than Riley to me. Not the player yet but down the road we'll see

I like Riley's length and versatility better. He's also more put together. IMO, there is nothing wrong with Johnson. He looks like the type of CB from the Midwest that you see playing at Northwestern, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc... 5'11, 175lbs, with adequate speed.

I think Riley is going to be a good player. USC, Michigan and Clemson, all superior DB producing schools to Notre Dame, is where he'll likely end up.

Not the end of the world. There are very few corner prospects that can truly be game changing... But a loss none-the-less. ND's DB class will be interesting. The 2nd year in a row where they're taking a bunch of lowly rated guys and hoping they hit on 1 or 2, like they did Clarence Lewis... It's actually perplexing to me that ND can't land 2-3, top 250 secondary players each year.

Just what USC needs - another DB commit. They got 1 interior DL and one end committed after not getting a full class last year on the DL. And about 6 DBs committed already.

I like Riley's length and versatility better. He's also more put together. IMO, there is nothing wrong with Johnson. He looks like the type of CB from the Midwest that you see playing at Northwestern, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc... 5'11, 175lbs, with adequate speed.

I think Riley is going to be a good player. USC, Michigan and Clemson, all superior DB producing schools to Notre Dame, is where he'll likely end up.

Not the end of the world. There are very few corner prospects that can truly be game changing... But a loss none-the-less. ND's DB class will be interesting. The 2nd year in a row where they're taking a bunch of lowly rated guys and hoping they hit on 1 or 2, like they did Clarence Lewis... It's actually perplexing to me that ND can't land 2-3, top 250 secondary players each year.
I was stoked when Joseph was hired. I thought he'd be killing it on the recruiting trail. I'm not sure what impact he's had on the program. Micken's has done reasonably well so far. I think he's the real deal . I agree the DB recruiting has been a mystery

I was stoked when Joseph was hired. I thought he'd be killing it on the recruiting trail. I'm not sure what impact he's had on the program. Micken's has done reasonably well so far. I think he's the real deal . I agree the DB recruiting has been a mystery
Joseph as a recruiter hasnt been impressive.

Consistency in DB recruiting has been an issue for a long time. That said, rarely can we actually complain about the quality of the secondary. LSU or Ohio State they are not, but rarely are they an issue that causes Kelly's teams to lose games. BVG era excluded, they're always reasonably well coached and developed.

Any thoughts on his coaching abilities? I believe he's responsible for the safeties?
Hes a good coach. I think safety play has been strong the last 3 years with Elliot, Gilman and Hamilton. He deserves credit for that. I think Crawford has struggled so far but Griffith has looked good. Hopefully they can land Titus Altimala to close out the safety class

Reactions: TXNDFan88
Just what USC needs - another DB commit. They got 1 interior DL and one end committed after not getting a full class last year on the DL. And about 6 DBs committed already.

crazy, huh
suddenly USC cannot get any lineman! or even get Ca.‘s top players!
Helton effect. SC will not be a national contender, or even top P12, while Helton coaches there.

Consistency in DB recruiting has been an issue for a long time. That said, rarely can we actually complain about the quality of the secondary. LSU or Ohio State they are not, but rarely are they an issue that causes Kelly's teams to lose games. BVG era excluded, they're always reasonably well coached and developed.

It's so odd because we had nothing to complain about for so many years. I'd be content if we had Pride-Love (lol) clones forever.

Reactions: Golson5
Agreed. But you'd think that would only help us in recruiting. With Clarence Lewis getting his first start as a true freshman in the 2nd game of the season. It boggles my mind that ND couldn't get one of K. Ringo, D. Manning, T. Grimes, J. Kimber or C. Phillips. Manning and Phillips ended up at Oregon and Utah, so don't give me the location/weather argument. Maybe academics played a role. But I'd like to think a recruit is more interested in playing for a team that has gone 33-6 in the past 3 years, has produced NFL talent and gives a legit starting of starting your freshman year on a legitimate playoff contending team is more attractive than Oregon/Utah. But what do I know?

I wonder if Abiara had a change of heart. He could've decommited by now. Hate to see Riley might go elsewhere. Seeing how many young players are getting in the games it would seem a plus for ND. I hope he doesn't regret this decision.

Reactions: Golson5 and TAN1973
If he goes ... he goes... next recruit up... the sky isn’t falling!!!!!

I don't think anybody thinks the sky is falling. The program is on stable footing and DB numbers, between this class and next, are exactly where they should be. Anybody that follows recruiting should know that decommits happen to all schools, during every cycle.

That said, I really like Riley's size, length and pedigree. I think he's versatile at the next level and could play either safety or corner. That's a trait I really appreciate in a DB.

Theran Johnson should be a decent replacement. In terms of positions ND cannot afford decomitments from, DB is barely a concern from a numbers perspective.

ND has a strong front 7. That makes DB’s more effective. Plus barring serious injury, 1 of those DB’s will probably be a Top 10 NFL draft choice. 1 great player with 3 very good players: strong unit.

crazy, huh
suddenly USC cannot get any lineman! or even get Ca.‘s top players!
Helton effect. SC will not be a national contender, or even top P12, while Helton coaches there.
perfect example is true freshmen Tosh Baker from AZ. Tosh was a five star or borderline five star and the top rated tackle in the west coast and in the pete carrol days kids like him were a lock most times to stay out west and go to USC but not now

Riley, if he is the decommit, was allegedly our best CB recruit so far.

We have bodies at CB though even if we lose Riley. Bracy, Hart, Lewis, Rutherford, Wallace, Henderson, Offord, Barnes and Tucker can play CB under Mickens training. Plus

For the record, neither Riley or Abriara have decommitted yet. At least publicly. I'm sure the staff is working hard to keep them both in the class

Every random 3 star turns out to be Clarence Lewis! I concur.

The good news is we're not getting "random 3*'s"....but rather are allowed to handpick which ones we'd like to pursue.

That fact alone is why the comments from recruiting rookies like Chaseball (@embargolifted) are simply idiotic.

Now, as to whether we want to keep Riley....we absolutely do.
(personally, I'd like to have both Riley and T. Johnson, as Johnson is a good CB recruit imo...while Riley may well be destined for S...but is also a really good recruit)

I'd love to see the following skill class in 2021
WR - Deon Colze
WR/CB - Lorenzo Styles
WR/S - Jayden Thomas
S/WR - Titus Mokiao-Atimalala
CB/WR - Theran Johnson
CB/S - Ryan Barns
S/CB - Phillip Riley
CB - Chance Tucker
S - Justin Walters

That gives you strong talent, really good versatility, and really good numbers across the board....despite only having 8-9 recruits for WR, CB, and S combined (which usually comprises ~7-8 starters)

I don't get upset unless it is an awesome player decommiting. I was shocked when D.Allen left. We've lost players by their own immaturity and poor choices.

The good news is we're not getting "random 3*'s"....but rather are allowed to handpick which ones we'd like to pursue.

That fact alone is why the comments from recruiting rookies like Chaseball (@embargolifted) are simply idiotic.

Now, as to whether we want to keep Riley....we absolutely do.
(personally, I'd like to have both Riley and T. Johnson, as Johnson is a good CB recruit imo...while Riley may well be destined for S...but is also a really good recruit)

I'd love to see the following skill class in 2021
WR - Deon Colze
WR/CB - Lorenzo Styles
WR/S - Jayden Thomas
S/WR - Titus Mokiao-Atimalala
CB/WR - Theran Johnson
CB/S - Ryan Barns
S/CB - Phillip Riley
CB - Chance Tucker
S - Justin Walters

That gives you strong talent, really good versatility, and really good numbers across the board....despite only having 8-9 recruits for WR, CB, and S combined (which usually comprises ~7-8 starters)

That's a really decent group. No doubt about it. I'd rather Donte Thornton, Philip Riley and Ceyair Wright be part of the group, but you can't always have your cake and eat it too.

All I do is compare it to the skill groups of the top competition to see if ND is reasonably close.

Alabama....
WR: Jacorey Brooks
WR: Christian Leary
WR: Agiye Hall
S: Kaine Williams
S: Terrion Arnold
CB: Devonta Smith
CB: Khyree Jackson

Ohio State...
WR: Emeka Egbuka
WR: Marvin Harrison Jr.
WR: Jayden Ballard
S: Andre Turrentine
DB/WR: Denzel Burke
S: Jantzen Dunn
S: Jaylen Johnson
CB: Jakailin Johnson
CB: Jordan Hancock

Clemson...
WR: Beaux Collins
WR: Troy Stellato
WR: Decari Collins
CB: Nyland Green
CB Ga'Quincy Mckinstry (may also go to Aurburn)
S: Andrew Mukuba

Oklahoma...
WR: Mario Williams
WR: Jalil Farooq
WR: Cody Jackson
S: Jordan Mukes
CB: Latrell McCutchen
CB: Damond Harmon
CB: Caleb Johnson

LSU...
WR: Chris Hilton
WR: JoJo Earle
WR: Deion Smith
WR: Brian Thomas Jr.
CB: Nathaniel Wiggins
S: Khari Gee
S: Sage Ryan

When I look at those skill groups, Notre Dame's skill is obviously and predictably behind, however, it's much, much better than where it use to be.

That's a really decent group. No doubt about it. I'd rather Donte Thornton, Philip Riley and Ceyair Wright be part of the group, but you can't always have your cake and eat it too.

All I do is compare it to the skill groups of the top competition to see if ND is reasonably close.

Alabama....
WR: Jacorey Brooks
WR: Christian Leary
WR: Agiye Hall
S: Kaine Williams
S: Terrion Arnold
CB: Devonta Smith
CB: Khyree Jackson

Ohio State...
WR: Emeka Egbuka
WR: Marvin Harrison Jr.
WR: Jayden Ballard
S: Andre Turrentine
DB/WR: Denzel Burke
S: Jantzen Dunn
S: Jaylen Johnson
CB: Jakailin Johnson
CB: Jordan Hancock

Clemson...
WR: Beaux Collins
WR: Troy Stellato
WR: Decari Collins
CB: Nyland Green
CB Ga'Quincy Mckinstry (may also go to Aurburn)
S: Andrew Mukuba

Oklahoma...
WR: Mario Williams
WR: Jalil Farooq
WR: Cody Jackson
S: Jordan Mukes
CB: Latrell McCutchen
CB: Damond Harmon
CB: Caleb Johnson

LSU...
WR: Chris Hilton
WR: JoJo Earle
WR: Deion Smith
WR: Brian Thomas Jr.
CB: Nathaniel Wiggins
S: Khari Gee
S: Sage Ryan

When I look at those skill groups, Notre Dame's skill is obviously and predictably behind, however, it's much, much better than where it use to be.

Yeah, there is a major gap between those teams and ND at the skill positions (especially in terms of recuiting)...but that's inevitable, imo.

Realistically, ND won't be as talented as that group year-in-and-year-out (Oklahoma probably excepted).

What's realistic is for ND to be as talented as virtually any team outside of Alabama/Clemson/Ohio St/LSU/Georgia...and then have a veteran team and/or a high quality QB give you a shot against these more talented teams from time to time.

Not to mention the fact that ND should just be trying to "hold serve" at most skill positions, compared to top competition, whereas it can legitimately compete/separate at OL, DL, LB and hopefully QB.

This skill group should be enough to allow for that, imo

Each year we hear the hype that this class will be the class that puts ND over the top. We had a runner up team in 2012, and later get Jaylon Smith as the next Teo. We seldom seem to get the upper echelon of kids to commit. Yet it seems as our coaches have vastly improved in getting kids that fit. There are not many schools that a kid like Kiser or Lewis step in and don't miss a beat. I know USF is no Clemson,so there's that. But I truly believe these kids want to play their best. 21 class will fill holes and hopefully 22 class will get those stars in wideout and running back areas. On D,I think Mickens is a great teacher and Joseph has done fine job[he could improve in recruiting area].I just go with the flow and never buy into the hype of future class recruitments. I once believed Fisher,Rucci,Spindler and Wyatt was a given. But Alt and Coogan will do just fine coached up.

Each year we hear the hype that this class will be the class that puts ND over the top. We had a runner up team in 2012, and later get Jaylon Smith as the next Teo. We seldom seem to get the upper echelon of kids to commit. Yet it seems as our coaches have vastly improved in getting kids that fit. There are not many schools that a kid like Kiser or Lewis step in and don't miss a beat. I know USF is no Clemson,so there's that. But I truly believe these kids want to play their best. 21 class will fill holes and hopefully 22 class will get those stars in wideout and running back areas. On D,I think Mickens is a great teacher and Joseph has done fine job[he could improve in recruiting area].I just go with the flow and never buy into the hype of future class recruitments. I once believed Fisher,Rucci,Spindler and Wyatt was a given. But Alt and Coogan will do just fine coached up.
What made you believe those 4 were a given?

I hope you're right about Coogan and Alt, considering in Brian Kelly's entire tenure, he and his staff have only developed ONE 3 star OL into a good player. ONE in 11 years. Nick Martin.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT