ADVERTISEMENT

Possible replacements for Mike Brey

fencing is Notre Dame's most successful sports program. Consistently at the top of the rankings. Producing Olympic and World Champions...

Basketball has never been more of mediocre program.

Besides basketball is where all the athletes not good enough to make the wrestling team/ martial arts go....;)
I really touched a nerve here with the snooty fencing fans..... how many fencing matches (?) have you watched? More or less than basketball?

My point, which you all seem to miss, is that if ND were to cut a sport for wrestling.... basketball would not even be considered.

Reactions: sluggo69
I really touched a nerve here with the snooty fencing fans..... how many fencing matches (?) have you watched? More or less than basketball?

My point, which you all seem to miss, is that if ND were to cut a sport for wrestling.... basketball would not even be considered.

You didn't touch a nerve, you just posted something dumb and are getting rightly called out for it.

Reactions: spf84
The point is that a revenue producing sport will never be eliminated to maintain a non-revenue producing one like fencing.

How many fencing matches have you watched? More or less than basketball?

Just stop while you're behind. The revenue producing sports like football and basketball supporting the non-revenue sports is not a revelation. It happens at every single college. If you think that's something only you have discovered, then you really have no clue.

no nerves touched, most people do not know that ND fencing is the most dominate in the sport for decades...

I watch ND fencing whenever I can and follow it as much as possible from Akron. ND fencing is a great program maybe the best in college history of any sports program.. Would encourage all ND fans to follow them. It never sucks when support greatness.

Grappling/wrestling is where I started my martial arts journey 51 yrs ago in april... wrestling and basketball were always the same time of year growing up.... so we had a friendly rival with our basketball teams...

for light nights we would scrimmage the bb teams, they could never figure how we so easily ran them ragged. my senior yr in high school we invited them to practice with us. they understood in 30 minutes that running up and down the court was a break for us.

they helped us with fun break from the hell that was wrestling practice and we helped them develop better wind. It helped both teams win titles. However, we did give each other a lot BS about which sport was better..

Have a great day

What's the problem here? Is fencing some sort of unwholesome activity, or a societal evil that I didn't realize? And wrestling is next to godliness or something? Neither break the threshold of being even minimally categorized as 'spectator sports', so they are both neutral in that regard. And ND happens to have fencing, and not wrestling. Done and done.

There are plenty of colleges that have wrestling programs are there not?, and wrestling aficionados can affiliate themselves with those programs, like the University of Iowa. And for that even smaller cohort of fencing enthusiasts, they can follow ND.

I do think it's bullshit that they don't have wrestling in the olympics anymore. That's seriously messed up.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
Why has ND always been amazing at fencing? Has the same coach always been here for 50+ years? Do they recruit only 5 star fencers? I mean what the heck is the answer??

I watch many more fencing matches than basketball games. Skill level of good college fencers much higher than good college basketball players, IMO. Seems more likely you have not watched much fencing.

Have watched more wrestling matches in past 5 years than college basketball games as well. Still rather keep fencing tnah wrestling.

Brey should have 10 guys in the rotation not 7. When we lose in the ACC tournament due to fatigue and our season ends I want Brey out. BC had the courage to fire their low performing coach why cant we? All the missed 3 balls the starters shoot. What- the bench players would do worse driving to the basket and making layups or drawing fouls?

It so amazing that we not only have so many self identifying football geniuses, but we also have so many self identifying basketball geniuses too! I am so humbled to be in the presence of such brilliance.

I can only pray that Jack Swarbrick takes some time to come on this forum, to read some of these amazing threads and posts. Because clearly ALL the answers to ND winning the CFP Playoff and the NCAA Final Four...reside right here! It’s like Bryan Driskell on steroids...

Reactions: sluggo69
It so amazing that we not only have so many self identifying football geniuses, but we also have so many self identifying basketball geniuses too! I am so humbled to be in the presence of such brilliance.

I can only pray that Jack Swarbrick takes some time to come on this forum, to read some of these amazing threads and posts. Because clearly ALL the answers to ND winning the CFP Playoff and the NCAA Final Four...reside right here! It’s like Bryan Driskell on steroids...
Who didnt win the game because of a 2nd half collapse again ?

The program lacks energy and players with real athletic ability. I think the actual coaching is more than competent but without quality ingredients the meal will only be so good. The lack of talent is on Brey. Time for an energetic, dynamic young coach. Brey has done a really good job at a place where basketball will always be on the back burner.

In a year or two, when things dont go as planned with the Chicago Bulls, Swarbick needs to pony up the big bucks and go after Billy Donovan. Then we will have a real basketball program again.

I call BS on the “no real athletic ability”. That “no real athletic ability” team had a 20 and 17 point lead and blew them because instead of continuing to do what they did to get the leads, they go into that stupid effing burn mode where we throw the ball around the perimeter until the shot clock dwindles, or throw up an early forced three w/ plenty of time on the shot clock, or turn it over cuz we have no press breaker plan. That’s all on the coaching, not the “no real athletic” players. There’s enough talent, Brey just isn’t a very good tactician, never has been. Are we outmanned at times? Absolutely, but many times, we lose because of our approach w/ leads. It’s maddening. And while it’s happening, no timeouts to slow it down. Slowdown burn has done more damage than good. Let them play loose but smart. He’s always had a tough time merging those two.

Last edited:
I call BS on the “no real athletic ability”. That “no real athletic ability” team had a 20 and 17 point lead and blew them because instead of continuing to do what they did to get the leads, they go into that stupid effing burn mode where we throw the ball around the perimeter until the shot clock dwindles, or throw up an early forced three w/ plenty of time on the shot clock, or turn it over cuz we have no press breaker plan. That’s all on the coaching, not the “no real athletic” players. There’s enough talent, Brey just isn’t a very good tactician, never has been. Are we outmanned at times? Absolutely, but many times, we lose because of our approach w/ leads. It’s maddening. And while it’s happening, no timeouts to slow it down. Slowdown burn has done more damage than good. Let them play loose but smart. He’s always had a tough time merging those two.
Which player is athletic enough to get their own shot ? This team has the least amount of pure athletic ability than any I've seen in the Brey era. If they don't shoot well they have no chance.

Not only are they experts, but it is usually the same posters.

Why has ND always been amazing at fencing? Has the same coach always been here for 50+ years? Do they recruit only 5 star fencers? I mean what the heck is the answer??

I believe ND has had only 4 fencing coaches in the past 50 years, Mike Decicco, Yves Auriol, Janusz Bednarski and current coach Gia Kvaratskhelia.

next season would the right time to bring in a new coach . With 10-11 players to effectively utilize ( assuming Durham returns) the team will be deep enough to play the uptempo style of play it really needs to . This team can shoot and drive but they do not play great defense . run and gun and outscore the opponent. They have 5 guys that can shoot 3's . But they need to shorten the minutes by adding more players into the rotation to stay fresh throughout. Brey is not the coach to do this . He will NEVER play even 9 with a purpose. I see a rotation like this Durham , Nate, Atkinson, Taylor ( spells them) they can play 2 at all times . Hubb, Wertz, Goodwin, Ryan, Wesley. That is 9 guys to rotate . There is size and depth.

Besides, when has ND men's hoops under Brey ever had athletic ability, and it didn't stop them before!

However it doesn't mean it's not true. They're not athletic, never have been, and frankly it was Brey's coaching that was the difference. We had an awesome enough program to win anyway. And something has apparently begun to slip. We've been surpassed by UVA as a major program with marginal athleticism on the roster at any given team and yet they manage to be a top team. And Virginia has won a championship, all we did was make the Elite 8 twice. And we won the ACC tournament.

It's not maddening to me, I will say. ND beginning to slip like they have merely makes me mildly sentimental for yesteryear, but otherwise it makes realize how much I don't really give a shit. Only football do I care about. You don't get to care and complain about every sport under the sun, you gotta pick your battles. And I pick football, and we are riding high in the sport that matters. I will say that ND basketball under Brey, before this seemingly inevitable lapse that we're now in the throes of, was pretty awesome. It was a heck of a run while it lasted.

And if you're desperate to cheer for a winner there's always fencing!

fencing is Notre Dame's most successful sports program. Consistently at the top of the rankings. Producing Olympic and World Champions...

Basketball has never been more of mediocre program.

Besides basketball is where all the athletes not good enough to make the wrestling team/ martial arts go....;)

I wrestled Lou Banach in a tournament in Highschool. My usual arm raising by the ref did not happen after that match.

Reactions: Pennick4
“Which player is athletic enough to get their own shot ? This team has the least amount of pure athletic ability than any I've seen in the Brey era. If they don't shoot well they have no chance.”

Which players in particular aren’t athletic enough to get their own shots and have “no real athletic ability” in your eyes? List the names. If your definition of “real athletic ability” is a player’s vertical, then I guess there are some players that don’t jump thru the roof but I’ve seen each and every one of them take their defenders off the dribble at times. All of them play pretty good man defense, sometimes when we play w/o Durham, some of our wings can get posted up by bigger wings, but overall, that’s more about being outsized than ‘outathleted’. W/ that said, the elite eight teams were more athletic than this team, no doubt, but this team doesn’t lack “any real athletic ability”. The only player I’ve seen on this team that resembles a real lack of jumping/agility skills is zona & I believe he’ll develop into a serviceable player by the end of his career even though he lacks what you would call “real athletic ability”. Jmo

“Which player is athletic enough to get their own shot ? This team has the least amount of pure athletic ability than any I've seen in the Brey era. If they don't shoot well they have no chance.”

Which players in particular aren’t athletic enough to get their own shots and have “no real athletic ability” in your eyes? List the names. If your definition of “real athletic ability” is a player’s vertical, then I guess there are some players that don’t jump thru the roof but I’ve seen each and every one of them take their defenders off the dribble at times. All of them play pretty good man defense, sometimes when we play w/o Durham, some of our wings can get posted up by bigger wings, but overall, that’s more about being outsized than ‘outathleted’. W/ that said, the elite eight teams were more athletic than this team, no doubt, but this team doesn’t lack “any real athletic ability”. The only player I’ve seen on this team that resembles a real lack of jumping/agility skills is zona & I believe he’ll develop into a serviceable player by the end of his career even though he lacks what you would call “real athletic ability”. Jmo
Who IS athletic ? Hubb has some but is one of the poorest decision makers in recent history and a poor shooter. The big guys are weak rebounders for their length and guys like Ryan and Goodwin lack the quickness to be truly effective on both ends. They play hard but if they aren't knocking down jumpers they're negative plus/ minus players. Again, they all play hard but that will only take you so far. They pretty much have to shoot the lights out to beat a decent team. Not nearly enough athleticism to overcome an off night shooting the ball.

I wrestled Lou Banach in a tournament in Highschool. My usual arm raising by the ref did not happen after that match.
That can be said by almost all of those that wrestled him...

Doesn't hurt to have a twin that you can sharpen your skills against on daily basis...

“Who IS athletic ? Hubb has some but is one of the poorest decision makers in recent history and a poor shooter. The big guys are weak rebounders for their length and guys like Ryan and Goodwin lack the quickness to be truly effective on both ends. They play hard but if they aren't knocking down jumpers they're negative plus/ minus players. Again, they all play hard but that will only take you so far. They pretty much have to shoot the lights out to beat a decent team. Not nearly enough athleticism to overcome an off night shooting the ball.”

Totally disagree that Goodwin and Ryan lack quickness. And I don’t see ur point about “knocking down jumpers”. All guards & wings need to knock down jumpers at some point, don’t know why it’s different for Ryan & Goodwin. I don’t see our opponents winning games consistently going around our defenders because of their “athleticism” and creating any more than we do, everyone has to knock down jumpers at some point to be effective. So yeah, if we’re not hitting our shots, it’s not gonna go well, same as any other supposedly “more athletic” team. We’re lacking a John Mooney type that was a double double machine that could muscle rebound. We’re lacking a sound ball handler at point which makes us struggle against pressure. We’re not lacking athleticism, imo.

Boy I think we are-----especially after watching how we handle full court pressure.

“Boy I think we are-----especially after watching how we handle full court pressure.”

27, im not attacking you but I’m not sure how athleticism plays into handling full court pressure. You need a well designed scheme and a point w/ a good handle. We don’t have either. I’m not saying that most opponents don’t have more high flyers than us, I just don’t see that aspect killing us the way that our cold shooting sprees & handling full court pressure does. We lack a strong offensive rebounding big like Mooney and a true point like a Farrell. Add those two to this team & we’re onto something, imo. And neither of those two would be considered “athletic” in the way that some here are describing. And just ftr, “athleticism” can be, and is, defined very differently by fans. I don’t define athleticism solely w/ verticals and shuttle runs, some do.

screenshot-facebook-drunk-man-stuck-on-fence-1120.jpg

After that tumble Spock is going to need to spend some time in sick bay.

I believe ND has had only 4 fencing coaches in the past 50 years, Mike Decicco, Yves Auriol, Janusz Bednarski and current coach Gia Kvaratskhelia.

You forgot about Jamie Lannister. He was the fencing coach before he lost his hand.

Reactions: Mick Killme
You forgot about Jamie Lannister. He was the fencing coach before he lost his hand.

:p Not a coach at Notre Dame.

I think it all basically started with Decicco, professor of engineering, academic advisor to all ND athletes, fencing coach. Of course the academic advising part grew up to be a team.

:p Not a coach at Notre Dame.

I think it all basically started with Decicco, professor of engineering, academic advisor to all ND athletes, fencing coach. Of course the academic advising part grew up to be a team.
Correct

“Who IS athletic ? Hubb has some but is one of the poorest decision makers in recent history and a poor shooter. The big guys are weak rebounders for their length and guys like Ryan and Goodwin lack the quickness to be truly effective on both ends. They play hard but if they aren't knocking down jumpers they're negative plus/ minus players. Again, they all play hard but that will only take you so far. They pretty much have to shoot the lights out to beat a decent team. Not nearly enough athleticism to overcome an off night shooting the ball.”

Totally disagree that Goodwin and Ryan lack quickness. And I don’t see ur point about “knocking down jumpers”. All guards & wings need to knock down jumpers at some point, don’t know why it’s different for Ryan & Goodwin. I don’t see our opponents winning games consistently going around our defenders because of their “athleticism” and creating any more than we do, everyone has to knock down jumpers at some point to be effective. So yeah, if we’re not hitting our shots, it’s not gonna go well, same as any other supposedly “more athletic” team. We’re lacking a John Mooney type that was a double double machine that could muscle rebound. We’re lacking a sound ball handler at point which makes us struggle against pressure. We’re not lacking athleticism, imo.
Because jumpers are all they have. None of them possess the requisite athletic a ability to get their own shot or drive to the basket and finish. The athletic ability is subpar. Those guys " athletic ability " is nowhere near good enough for the league they are in.

“Because jumpers are all they have. None of them possess the requisite athletic a ability to get their own shot or drive to the basket and finish. The athletic ability is subpar. Those guys " athletic ability " is nowhere near good enough for the league they are in.”

That’s your opinion. More made up BS that none of them can create their shots other than jumpers. Our offensive sets don’t do them any favors.

We lack a big man that is a powerful rebounder, a true ball handling point and we’ve gone cold shooting the ball at the worst time, down the stretch. When push comes to shove, teams have to hit jumpers, we haven’t and our opponents have recently. We’re not getting out-athleted, we’re getting out shot, which is the essence of basketball. Can’t win w/o it. And just ftr, the “league they are in” isn’t all that good. I doubt any of them make much noise come tourney time. Bottom line, our shooters have gone ice cold (sans BC), and we’ve lost because we haven’t be able to hit our jumpers and our opponents have. Has little to do w/ the other teams being better “athletes” (in your eyes), and more to do w/ making open jumpers. Brey needs to play more guys so we’re not gassed at the end of games and if that means playing true freshman that aren’t really ready yet for a couple minutes here and there, so be it, but for some reason, that’s not brey’s way. Lost season, but hopefully next year our additions and returning players will lend to a real good season. I believe next year we contend for a double bye and maybe more.

“Because jumpers are all they have. None of them possess the requisite athletic a ability to get their own shot or drive to the basket and finish. The athletic ability is subpar. Those guys " athletic ability " is nowhere near good enough for the league they are in.”

That’s your opinion. More made up BS that none of them can create their shots other than jumpers. Our offensive sets don’t do them any favors.

We lack a big man that is a powerful rebounder, a true ball handling point and we’ve gone cold shooting the ball at the worst time, down the stretch. When push comes to shove, teams have to hit jumpers, we haven’t and our opponents have recently. We’re not getting out-athleted, we’re getting out shot, which is the essence of basketball. Can’t win w/o it. And just ftr, the “league they are in” isn’t all that good. I doubt any of them make much noise come tourney time. Bottom line, our shooters have gone ice cold (sans BC), and we’ve lost because we haven’t be able to hit our jumpers and our opponents have. Has little to do w/ the other teams being better “athletes” (in your eyes), and more to do w/ making open jumpers. Brey needs to play more guys so we’re not gassed at the end of games and if that means playing true freshman that aren’t really ready yet for a couple minutes here and there, so be it, but for some reason, that’s not brey’s way. Lost season, but hopefully next year our additions and returning players will lend to a real good season. I believe next year we contend for a double bye and maybe more.

We shot the ball pretty well Saturday but when BC hangs 94 on you it isn't about offense IMO and being good defensively begins with having guys with athleticism.

I’ve always felt that defense at this level is more about attitude and effort and sets, than it is about pure athleticism. This team lacks attitude and effort on the defensive side, and Brey and his coaches own this. I prefer guys with great athleticism and great effort, but if I have to choose, I’ll take average athleticism with great effort over great athleticism and average effort on the defensive part of the game.

Reactions: francade
The fundamentals dont exist. Its time to move on. Its only fitting that we are getting pounded by NC State's freshmen since ours arent allowed to play.

Some of the players on this team are weak minded. How many easy layups are missed? I dont remember any Brey team being this weak down low. I always believed that its better to go up strong and risk getting your shot blocked than to go up weak and take your eyes off the basket which is what some of our players do. Its a bad habit which gives the other team a big edge. They dont believe they can win. Bottom line.

ADVERTISEMENT