ADVERTISEMENT

Possible new OC

Leftwich would be a good pick if he really wants to go back to college. Probably only a one-two year term but he knows offense, both passing and running. Tampa did both well before the OL got screwed up.

No he would not be. He has no college experience. He’s never developed a QB let alone a young kid like CJ. He went to Marshall. He was quickly fired from the only good job he’s ever had. All the excuses in the world won’t make up for the fact that he’s never coached at the college level, can barely hold a conversation with the media, and there’s 0 prof he can recruit.

Reactions: baron100
Interestingly, driskell reporting leftwich is not a serious candidate but talks have happened...

So loy or driskell... Interesting

No he would not be. He has no college experience. He’s never developed a QB let alone a young kid like CJ. He went to Marshall. He was quickly fired from the only good job he’s ever had. All the excuses in the world won’t make up for the fact that he’s never coached at the college level, can barely hold a conversation with the media, and there’s 0 prof he can recruit.
IB podcast today eviscerated the rumors about leftwich as not true

I am completely fine with them giving Brian Johnson a look. He’s worked at the college level and helped Hurts. I’m not fine with them highly considering Leftwich, who has done nothing but piggyback off the goat and get fired for somehow making him worse. I still think they can do better than both.

Anyone know someone at the tire shop who can give us the scoop?

“Per sources, the Fighting Irish’s candidate pool at the collegiate level has seen the school vetting Utah’s Andy Ludwig, Washington’s Ryan Grubb, Toledo’s Jason Candle, Colorado’s Sean Lewis and at least one other high-level Power-5 offensive coordinator.

From the NFL standpoint, most chatter has focused around Notre Dame’s potential interest in former Tampa Bay Bucs offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich, who starred collegiately at Marshall, as well as Philadelphia Eagles quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson.

Sources confirmed any preliminary talks between the Irish and Leftwich have minimal depth; again, Freeman is being extremely deliberate in this process. The Irish conducted talks with multiple candidates Monday and again spoke with additional candidates Tuesday.

As for Johnson, NFL sources on Tuesday told FootballScoop that the well-regarded Philadelphia Eagles assistant and former Florida Gators offensive coordinator who developed under Dan Mullen is expected to potentially be in demand for multiple NFL openings. Also, if Eagles current offensive coordinator Shane Steichen nabs one of the final head coaching vacancies in the NFL, Johnson is expected to be a top -- if not the top -- candidate to become Philadelphia’s next offensive coordinator.”

Hmmm. One other P5. Denbrock?

“Per sources, the Fighting Irish’s candidate pool at the collegiate level has seen the school vetting Utah’s Andy Ludwig, Washington’s Ryan Grubb, Toledo’s Jason Candle, Colorado’s Sean Lewis and at least one other high-level Power-5 offensive coordinator.

From the NFL standpoint, most chatter has focused around Notre Dame’s potential interest in former Tampa Bay Bucs offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich, who starred collegiately at Marshall, as well as Philadelphia Eagles quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson.

Sources confirmed any preliminary talks between the Irish and Leftwich have minimal depth; again, Freeman is being extremely deliberate in this process. The Irish conducted talks with multiple candidates Monday and again spoke with additional candidates Tuesday.

As for Johnson, NFL sources on Tuesday told FootballScoop that the well-regarded Philadelphia Eagles assistant and former Florida Gators offensive coordinator who developed under Dan Mullen is expected to potentially be in demand for multiple NFL openings. Also, if Eagles current offensive coordinator Shane Steichen nabs one of the final head coaching vacancies in the NFL, Johnson is expected to be a top -- if not the top -- candidate to become Philadelphia’s next offensive coordinator.”

Hmmm. One other P5. Denbrock?
Probably Morehead who isn't in the list at the top.

I'm fairly certain Denbock was in Brian kellys wedding. He only left ND because the ad made him fire his coordinators. I like him but doubt he's leaving LSU.

On same ib podcast they state that the Brian Johnson rumor is also totally unfounded epr their sources.

Not sure who to believe, but it does make sense for agents to leak the names of pro coordinators that are looking to high profile jobs to give the appearance they are in high demand.

I think freeman wants a college coach, even if it means a two year rental (before promotion to HC somewhere or a Rees situation). I think the plan will be to keep Butler as the te coach and groom him to be the next guy while hiring a top college oc. I just don't see freeman rocking the boat with a pro hire

My dark horse candidate is Walt Bell, currently OC at Indiana. Still only 39, but has tons of experience as qb coach and OC and a good recruiter . He failed as HC at UMass, the worst program ever.
He fits the young, hard charging staff that ND has

I'd be in favor of some relatively unknown dark horse name, if they seemed good. It's definitely true that there's plenty of coaches out there that could conceivably be excellent for this job, even if they're not the name on everyone's lips. And it's just a matter of identifying them.

Isn't there some kind of cybermetrics, for evaluating coaches' performance? We gotta get some of those analytics, and cut through all the noise and superficial reputation....

Looks like Toledo's Candle (a buddy of Marcus') has turned down Miami again -- seems he is listening to ND. Anyone in Ohio have an opinion of his offenses? (He seems to be a person of interest.)

I'd be in favor of some relatively unknown dark horse name, if they seemed good. It's definitely true that there's plenty of coaches out there that could conceivably be excellent for this job, even if they're not the name on everyone's lips. And it's just a matter of identifying them.

Isn't there some kind of cybermetrics, for evaluating coaches' performance? We gotta get some of those analytics, and cut through all the noise and superficial reputation....

Looks like Toledo's Candle (a buddy of Marcus') has turned down Miami again -- seems he is listening to ND. Anyone in Ohio have an opinion of his offenses? (He seems to be a person of interest.)
Don't know much about him, but I see he's been the HC of Toledo since 2015. He has a good record for a MAC team, and two MAC championships. I wonder why he hasn't been considered for any P5 HC jobs yet.

Don't know much about him, but I see he's been the HC of Toledo since 2015. He has a good record for a MAC team, and two MAC championships. I wonder why he hasn't been considered for any P5 HC jobs yet.
From a recent article I read --

"It’s a good time to bring up Jason Candle as well. The Toledo coach, who may be looking to become a Power 5 OC and then transition to a better head coaching job, has had a lot of inconsistency with his offense. They’ve been explosive some years and average in many others. It’s been very hit and miss.

At one time Candle was like Hansel (so hot right now). That has died down significantly for a reason as the offense hasn’t been one of the best in the MAC year after year when it probably should be."

I am always suspicious of HCs at schools that have a talent advantage relative to their competition.

eVKAtP2.jpg

There are exceptions of course.

True, but we can discern that our HC is going through due process and casting a wide net, which is a nice change from Kelly's old boy network.
The lack of knowledge from Marcus Freeman regarding offense forces him to cast a wide net. He needs someone to coach offense, because he can't.

On the other hand, Brian Kelly was the real OC in South Bend, same in Baton Rouge, BK simply had Tommy Rees and now Mike Denbrock navigate his offense.

And Tommy Rees benefited from that mentorship with his new 2-million per season gig as the Alabama OC.

The Brian Kelly coaching tree works for some.

Well, Grand Valley St. knows how to produce 'em! So he's got that going for him.

That would be so classic to get another, what are they called 'the Lakers'? I don't know what ND fans would do with themselves....

• Haha
Reactions: Kelso86
After making Brian Johnson, Grubb, and Ludwig turn us down, I think we should keep Moorhead/Candle/Lewis in the back pocket and take a closer look at some younger guys first.

Klein, Kevin Johns, maybe JaMarcus Shephard (WR coach though so awkward fit).

Liam Coen is a McVay protege I'm a big fan of. He QBC'd and OC'd Levis at Kentucky in his breakout 2 seasons ago. McVay stole him back as Rams OC (McVay was play caller) last year. Rams had Super Bowl hangover, team was banged up, didn't work out, McVay let Coen look for other jobs in December.

Levis and the whole Kentucky offense took a huge step back with Coen gone. Total plateau in his development, and overall offensive production fell off a cliff too. Kentucky just rehired Coen a month ago, their fans were stoked. Small sample size, but pretty impressive impact on that offense.

Reactions: IrishMike409
After making Brian Johnson, Grubb, and Ludwig turn us down, I think we should keep Moorhead/Candle/Lewis in the back pocket and take a closer look at some younger guys first.

Klein, Kevin Johns, maybe JaMarcus Shephard (WR coach though so awkward fit).

Liam Coen is a McVay protege I'm a big fan of. He QBC'd and OC'd Levis at Kentucky in his breakout 2 seasons ago. McVay stole him back as Rams OC (McVay was play caller) last year. Rams had Super Bowl hangover, team was banged up, didn't work out, McVay let Coen look for other jobs in December.

Levis and the whole Kentucky offense took a huge step back with Coen gone. Total plateau in his development, and overall offensive production fell off a cliff too. Kentucky just rehired Coen a month ago, their fans were stoked. Small sample size, but pretty impressive impact on that offense.
Brian Johnson said the report on him is totally fabricated

IB has some very good info and a dozen or so of real good posters. But it has a weird cult-like vibe
I have no doubt they have good sources, but you have to accept their rules about what is released or not.. I also think they were guilty of being very optimistic regarding the team coming out of camp.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
Sorry 37. And it was more than Rees or Denbock.

Per ib article on candidates ..

Chip Long - Another former Notre Dame coordinator, Long is currently still unemployed after being fired from Georgia Tech. He played a key role in helping build the Tulane roster that beat USC in the Cotton Bowl. Notre Dame averaged more points per game in three seasons under Long than it did in Rees' three seasons or the three seasons with Denbrock in charge.

Notre Dame's 2017 offense averaged 269.3 rushing yards per game and 6.3 yards per rush. Notre Dame also went 33-6 during his three seasons, and the 2019 offense set a program record for points (478) while averaging 36.8 points per game. Notre Dame went 30-8 with Rees running the offense and 22-16 under Denbrock. Denbrock, of course, was saddled with one of the worst defenses Notre Dame has had in the last 30 years, but the fact is the Irish scored more points under Long than they did during his tenure. Long and Denbrock were also very successful recruiters at Notre Dame.

If you are ❓ ing how tight is with Harry, remember he is the one that hired Chris watt as the ol coach at Tulane... So again talk about synergies. Also how long until Harry left once chip was forced out...

The fact is the way Kelly micromanaged long and in a way Harry when they were having a TON of success at Notre Dame, plus the negativity Kelly showed towards long on the way out ended up costing Kelly both and saddled us with Rees and Quinn. Kelly was forced to fire both coordinators and to hire Long after the van gorder years. He never wanted long and did not appreciate the success he had.

yep, and Kelly turned around and hired Rees ensuring that he can keep his thumb firmly on the offensive scheme and play calling.

Utah OC Andy Ludwig for me.
Interesting statistics on Ludwig.

"F+ rankings go back to 2007 and Ludwig has had only two offenses ranked higher than 20th in OF+. He’s never had a top-10 (the highest was 11th at Utah in 2019). It’s enough to question how high the ceiling is if Notre Dame hired him.

He also hasn’t had offenses that have consistently created explosive plays. His offenses have finished 36th, 54th, 102nd, 40th, 46th, 84th, 103rd, 125th, 9th and 21st (at Wisconsin), 61st, 36th, and 103rd in plays of 20+ yards from scrimmage over the last thirteen seasons."

Interesting statistics on Ludwig.

"F+ rankings go back to 2007 and Ludwig has had only two offenses ranked higher than 20th in OF+. He’s never had a top-10 (the highest was 11th at Utah in 2019). It’s enough to question how high the ceiling is if Notre Dame hired him.

He also hasn’t had offenses that have consistently created explosive plays. His offenses have finished 36th, 54th, 102nd, 40th, 46th, 84th, 103rd, 125th, 9th and 21st (at Wisconsin), 61st, 36th, and 103rd in plays of 20+ yards from scrimmage over the last thirteen seasons."
I literally stopped at F+.

I just know what I watch. My eyes. And Ludwig can flat out coach. Coaches the running game as you would want to see in a Notre Dame offense.

I literally stopped at F+.

I just know what I watch. My eyes. And Ludwig can flat out coach. Coaches the running game as you would want to see in a Notre Dame offense.
Of course you did. God forbid you might have to take a deeper dive than your id level thoughts. Not to mention one of the BIG things they say ND needs is more explosives.

ADVERTISEMENT