ADVERTISEMENT

Portal

You are right, sort of. All but a few of the transfers out were told they could keep thier rides but wouldn't be on the team. They left. But LR never pretended that that wasn't the reason they left. The unusual circumstance was having to replace so many fill ins for the bad players.

When Riley observed the first practice he was shocked at the lack of depth and the number of players who were not up to a competitive level. Mayb this year he will only take ten to meet your standard. We will see.
It's not my standard. But it's the standard of actually coaching and developing players. Winning on merits, not by buying a roster and assembling it NFL style.

As far as gray areas? Please. Cheating scandal. Admissions scandal. Karen Bass. Reggie Bush, Lendale White. George Tyndell, John Robinson. Need I go on?

It's not my standard. But it's the standard of actually coaching and developing players. Winning on merits, not by buying a roster and assembling it NFL style.
If it isn't yours, whose is it. Why is nine fine and ten wrong. Who did SC pay to play of this team?

You are right, sort of. All but a few of the transfers out were told they could keep thier rides but wouldn't be on the team. They left. But LR never pretended that that wasn't the reason they left. The unusual circumstance was having to replace so many fill ins for the bad players.

When Riley observed the first practice he was shocked at the lack of depth and the number of players who were not up to a competitive level. Mayb this year he will only take ten to meet your standard. We will see.
and the hypocrisy here is half the fans posting ND needs to use the transfer portal much more!

Reactions: BGI User 756
As far as gray areas? Please. Cheating scandal. Admissions scandal. Karen Bass. Reggie Bush, Lendale White. George Tyndell, John Robinson. Need I go on?
now do the ND list! and include the administration

Two portal targets. One is probably a long shot. He will end up at Texas or with Riley's band of mercenaries - Theo Wease. He's a grad. The other is Elijah Jeudy. He's from PA. Edge guy. Wonder if ND looks at these guys? also wondering if McCullogh's kid transfers from IU. He's an Edge guy too.

ND took players from the transfer portal this year. Was that wrong?
I think what he’s saying is we want ND football players to be part of the ND community / student experience. They were when I was there and they are now. When 30 new transfers show up as sophomores and juniors its hard for them to really matriculate into the student body.

Reactions: NDblitz
I think what he’s saying is we want ND football players to be part of the ND community / student experience. They were when I was there and they are now. When 30 new transfers show up as sophomores and juniors its hard for them to really matriculate into the student body.
He doesn't get it. It's fine. I know his deal. Believe me. I also know this place. It's win at all costs baby. The ends justify the means. There's a reason it's called LALA Land.

and the hypocrisy here is half the fans posting ND needs to use the transfer portal much more!
Oh there's nothing wrong with addressing 5 or 6 NEEDs. There's nothing wrong with adding up numbers to make your roster complete if you miss on a recruiting class or have guys leave on their own. BUT we all know Riley went in and told guys to leave then filled the team with a 2 deep basically of Transfers. I live here, coach here, have a former player who was told to leave. Speak to coaches all the time who believe the same thing because they know players too.

"Everyone" on here talks about ND getting a WR, QB, and an Edge defender. Maybe a Safety. That's it. I guarantee you SC will bring in another 12 plus guys again. That's fine. And it goes back to what I said - Riley is at SC to win now. For him. So he can get an NFL gig. Not for SC. Oh he'll say ALLLLLL the right things. Because he's a car salesman. But mark my words that's his plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishMike409
Oh there's nothing wrong with addressing 5 or 6 NEEDs. There's nothing wrong with adding up numbers to make your roster complete if you miss on a recruiting class or have guys leave on their own. BUT we all know Riley went in and told guys to leave then filled the team with a 2 deep basically of Transfers. I live here, coach here, have a former player who was told to leave. Speak to coaches all the time who believe the same thing because they know players too.

"Everyone" on here talks about ND getting a WR, QB, and an Edge defender. Maybe a Safety. That's it. I guarantee you SC will bring in another 12 plus guys again. That's fine. And it goes back to what I said - Riley is at SC to win now. For him. So he can get an NFL gig. Not for SC. Oh he'll say ALLLLLL the right things. Because he's a car salesman. But mark my words that's his plan.
but it is a very unusual circumstance, at a major college football insitution to follow in the footsteps of CH! A huge % of the scholarships he offered and players he accepted would never have been offered by a remotely competent head coach! What would CLR do? Of course ND fans would prefer he let those kids stay and lose 2-3 more years; but he was hired to win! He formulated a plan and executed.

Exactly. He has fluid ethics. It's the system that needs to be fixed. Very simple add 3-4 guard rails to NIL and the portal and it's solved.

Exactly. He has fluid ethics. It's the system that needs to be fixed. Very simple add 3-4 guard rails to NIL and the portal and it's solved.
portal is not for fans, it is for football players! football not academics!

portal is not for fans, it is for football players! football not academics!
the portal is something that empowers the athletes out there who are already being exploited for free labor from universities. why would you add guard rails that make the athlete's life more difficult and benefit the institution?

Boom.

USC has been neck deep and they have been on probation like a million times prior. Beach defended Petey on a daily basis 15 years ago. I had relatives in academia there and they called out Petey and Garrett for years before anything was done

Lincoln is a good mercenary but USC is shunning the academic part again

Reactions: IrishMike409
Boom.

USC has been neck deep and they have been on probation like a million times prior. Beach defended Petey on a daily basis 15 years ago. I had relatives in academia there and they called out Petey and Garrett for years before anything was done

Lincoln is a good mercenary but USC is shunning the academic part again
Who are the poor students that came to SC through the transfer portal.

the portal is something that empowers the athletes out there who are already being exploited for free labor from universities. why would you add guard rails that make the athlete's life more difficult and benefit the institution?
“Exploited” ?

”Free Labor” ?

Since when is getting a free education that’s worth $ 300,000 to $ 400,000 being “exploited” ?

Let’s move away from football for a second and view this from the perspective of other sports’

Let‘s view the portal in the context of:
GOLF
TENNIS
VOLLEY BALL
SWIMMING

Are those varsity athletes being exploited ?

Tell us how the universities are benefiting from “free labor” for them !

Has the concept of the student/athlete evaporated.
Does it no longer exist ?

How about the students who played on the inter-hall football teams ?
Full uniform tackle football every week, with practice during the week.
Those studens have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for the same education that scholarship football players are getting for free.

A good percentage of scholarship football/basketball players would never get a college education without that scholarship, so what kind of future life would they lead without a college education ?

Coaches have contracts that bind them.
Breaching those contracts has financial repercussions.
Shouldn’t the same apply to the players ?

Is there anyone good at Stanford that would start at ND? They seem ripe for poaching right now. The good thing with Stanford, is like Harvard, their credits easily transfer over making undergrad transfer far more likely.

Is there anyone good at Stanford that would start at ND? They seem ripe for poaching right now. The good thing with Stanford, is like Harvard, their credits easily transfer over making undergrad transfer far more likely.
They have a freshman DL

USC has 36 transfers. 36! I’m sorry but I don’t respect that in the least. But ND needs to decide what they want to do.,
I thought they took 19 from the portal? In fairness to Riley , 15 sc kids hit the portal and some were pretty talented, (bru McCoy). So he had to take kids and the new system allowed him to do it. I’m just really surprised he was able to put all the pieces together this fast. SC is a program most posters were laughing at 6 mos ago and most said Riley was 2-3 yrs min. away from building a top tier program. ND isn’t going to be left in the dark on this and if coaches feel there are areas of weakness they’ll hit the portal. We’ve taken several major contributors over the last few years.

Reactions: Kelso86
One goal of the staff should be finding an athlete on defense that is strong and athletic enough to sack Caleb Williams. If you have better athletes on defense, that dude will get demolished since his game is 100% reliant on running around in the backfield. While a great athlete, he's not Mike Vick and we had our hands on him all night. ND just lacks elite athletic defensive players and linebackers. A guy like Jaylon Smith would've been all over him.

I thought they took 19 from the portal? In fairness to Riley , 15 sc kids hit the portal and some were pretty talented, (bru McCoy). So he had to take kids and the new system allowed him to do it. I’m just really surprised he was able to put all the pieces together this fast. SC is a program most posters were laughing at 6 mos ago and most said Riley was 2-3 yrs min. away from building a top tier program. ND isn’t going to be left in the dark on this and if coaches feel there are areas of weakness they’ll hit the portal. We’ve taken several major contributors over the last few years.
McCoy was gone before he got there.

One goal of the staff should be finding an athlete on defense that is strong and athletic enough to sack Caleb Williams. If you have better athletes on defense, that dude will get demolished since his game is 100% reliant on running around in the backfield. While a great athlete, he's not Mike Vick and we had our hands on him all night. ND just lacks elite athletic defensive players and linebackers. A guy like Jaylon Smith would've been all over him.
I thought our guys did a heckuva job getting at him. He just was slippery as heck. I see the defense just getting better and deeper going forward from here. That will help.

Brown is only a true frosh. Why would he leave? But... they say he's the best QB to come out of there. Better than Dart or Wilson. they being the coaches at the school.

Brown is only a true frosh. Why would he leave? But... they say he's the best QB to come out of there. Better than Dart or Wilson. they being the coaches at the school.
Because he will not the the starter for the next years

Stroud has already stated he may not play in the bowl game, if it's not the playoffs. He's gone.
Right. We all know he's gone. But my point was in reference to the current QB situation stating this guy was gonna transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT