ADVERTISEMENT

Portal movement

GDFan

ND Expert
Jan 2, 2015
First off I know it early, we expect attrition etc. but is anyone else concerned when other schools are already locking in Portal players? We have a QB, WR, DT, CB,TE, DE out the door and we have locked in a K.

First off I know it early, we expect attrition etc. but is anyone else concerned when other schools are already locking in Portal players? We have a QB, WR, DT, CB,TE, DE out the door and we have locked in a K.
What portal guy did we lose at wr, cb and de ?

Wilkins, Bellamy, ewonu
Wilkins is a grad transfer. Wasnt going to come back anyway. Bellamy is more of a safety and Ekwonu was buried

None of them are losses and we've replaced them in recruiting and our depth already

Berrong is the only guy who we lost who maybe had some potential

I think it's a bit of an issue for Notre Dame. Because of our tougher academic entrance requirements, it's hard for us to take undergrad transfers. So every year we're probably going to lose more players than we replace in the portal. We'll have to make it up with bigger freshman classes, I guess. But the good news is that it's mostly people buried on the depth chart that we're losing.

I think it's a bit of an issue for Notre Dame. Because of our tougher academic entrance requirements, it's hard for us to take undergrad transfers. So every year we're probably going to lose more players than we replace in the portal. We'll have to make it up with bigger freshman classes, I guess. But the good news is that it's mostly people buried on the depth chart that we're losing.
Agreed they were buried which is a pretty good place to be. Just wish ND could upgrade using the portal. Lots of big names out there.

All the critics who are saying the transfer portal is a disaster, I guess they're correct in a certain sense. At least as of today. And I mean the thing where programs lose a lot of players to the portal, in droves, and then those players don't even end up in better situations. Seemingly leaving both parties at a distinct disadvantage. And then you get the reactionary fear-mongering that nothing good is coming of this, and we need a return to the paternalistic plantation system. Always a return to the plantation system.....

But it certainly is true, or possibly true that what I just described is how it can play out. If a former elite recruit, who hasn't done shit for his first two seasons, goes to the portal looking for that fresh start, and then ends up with no suitors. And ND is down one more WR, and the player if he's lucky ends up at some random 1-AA program.

You'd think the whole thing is a zero sum game as every team wants to use their 85 scholarships, and the total number of desirable players naturally is limited and finite. So garbage in garbage out so to speak. But if you lose fifteen different guys in a given portal class, all of whom were once fairly top recruits to one degree or another, you don't just replace them with a snap of finger. You could take more elite HS recruits with the added scholarship space but of course there's only a finite number of those. And whether you're ND or not, you won't necessarily be able to replace all your transfers-out with equally good transfer-in. And at ND they don't even take any transfers in much at all more or less. Of course this is not some new development and anyone could have seen this coming, and that may well be one of the reasons BK bolted. But any program could be hit hard by transfers and have trouble making up the slack, even if most/all of those transfers out were backups. And unless they were absolute busts/scrubs, you're probably going to miss them....

Reactions: notredamerises23
Agreed they were buried which is a pretty good place to be. Just wish ND could upgrade using the portal. Lots of big names out there.
This past year, we brought in Joseph, Chris Smith, Sot and Grupe. So we got 3 starters and a backup. But notice where they came from - two grad transfers from Harvard, an undergrad transfer from Northwestern and a grad transfer from Arkansas State. We can't just bring in anyone. They have to be academically admissable.

Reactions: Kelso86
All the critics who are saying the transfer portal is a disaster, I guess they're correct in a certain sense. At least as of today. And I mean the thing where programs lose a lot of players to the portal, in droves, and then those players don't even end up in better situations. Seemingly leaving both parties at a distinct disadvantage. And then you get the reactionary fear-mongering that nothing good is coming of this, and we need a return to the paternalistic plantation system. Always a return to the plantation system.....

But it certainly is true, or possibly true that what I just described is how it can play out. If a former elite recruit, who hasn't done shit for his first two seasons, goes to the portal looking for that fresh start, and then ends up with no suitors. And ND is down one more WR, and the player if he's lucky ends up at some random 1-AA program.

You'd think the whole thing is a zero sum game as every team wants to use their 85 scholarships, and the total number of desirable players naturally is limited and finite. So garbage in garbage out so to speak. But if you lose fifteen different guys in a given portal class, all of whom were once fairly top recruits to one degree or another, you don't just replace them with a snap of finger. You could take more elite HS recruits with the added scholarship space but of course there's only a finite number of those. And whether you're ND or not, you won't necessarily be able to replace all your transfers-out with equally good transfer-in. And at ND they don't even take any transfers in much at all more or less. Of course this is not some new development and anyone could have seen this coming, and that may well be one of the reasons BK bolted. But any program could be hit hard by transfers and have trouble making up the slack, even if most/all of those transfers out were backups. And unless they were absolute busts/scrubs, you're probably going to miss them....
Plantation System”. ?

That’s just more of your woke horseshit !

Since when has a single player been forced to attend and play football for any school ?

NAME JUST ONE !

If you’re unable to name a single player, why don’t you take a LOA for 6 months.

But before doing so, please answer the questions I previously asked you.

Thanks

“portal?” let’s call it like it is “free agency”

This past year, we brought in Joseph, Chris Smith, Sot and Grupe. So we got 3 starters and a backup. But notice where they came from - two grad transfers from Harvard, an undergrad transfer from Northwestern and a grad transfer from Arkansas State. We can't just bring in anyone. They have to be academically admissable.
That’ll change in a hurry.

And this year visitors from Arkansas, ok st, Utah st and I’m sure many others none of us know about. We seem to be going after Williams and Lucas again and no doubt others. The difference between what nd stood for and other football factories is now a Planck Length.

The guys we are possibly losing are people that either didn't take to the freeman era or are being over recruited and are seeing playing time opportunities reduced.

We are going to be a young team next year. We also have gaps that have to be addressed namely the dl and safety rotations.

No it won't. ND is not going to accept transfers who can't cut the academic mustard.
What will change is ND will try to get freshmen that are in gen Ed classes to transfer in. They should have A better shot than a junior or senior that has classes in a specific program. Early enrollees that finish their first full year should be on a track to graduate in four years with only Gen Ed classes.

What will change is ND will try to get freshmen that are in gen Ed classes to transfer in. They should have A better shot than a junior or senior that has classes in a specific program. Early enrollees that finish their first full year should be on a track to graduate in four years with only Gen Ed classes.

Maybe, but even if that occurs, the incoming players would still have to be quality students. ND is not going to take academic risks as transfers.

Reactions: Classic Irish
And this year visitors from Arkansas, ok st, Utah st and I’m sure many others none of us know about. We seem to be going after Williams and Lucas again and no doubt others. The difference between what nd stood for and other football factories is now a Planck Length.
None of those players have committed to ND or been admitted yet. So far, we've taken 3 grad transfers.

Kaleb Smith's 2022 alone tallied 37 catches for 674 yards and three touchdowns, all numbers that would have led all Irish receivers this past season, so thank God we got him. We need to really develop Merriweather, James, Greathouse, Flores, and the other K Smith.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT